"I would rather eat a golf ball than see this movie again."
Roger Ebert

“Right click Left click Yay!”

Level 7

Since: Dec 10

Nehwon

#8406 Apr 6, 2013
Dick Hern wrote:
I lost a left kidney 69 years ago in WWII.
Never felt better.
DH@
And may you post this again in 20 years from now.

If haven't told the tale of how that happened somewhere, please do so. While recalling those memories may be unpleasant, there are some who will hear your experiences and learn from them.

Level 7

Nehwon

#8407 Apr 6, 2013
Dragon Dreamer wrote:
"Always keep your mind as bright and clear as the vast sky, the great ocean, and the highest peak, empty of all thoughts. Always keep your body filled with light and heat. Fill yourself with the power of wisdom and enlightenment."
Morihei Ueshiba
I know that name.

Tell me, does the Bene Gesserit prayer from Dune have any meaning for you?

"I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
> I will permit it to pass over me and through me. <
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain."

Level 7

Nehwon

#8408 Apr 6, 2013
La Sunshine wrote:
“It is better to be alone than in bad company.”
&#8213; George Washington
"Neglected by Congress below; pinched with every want here; distressed with the small-pox; want of Generals and discipline in our Army — which may rather be called a great rabble — our late unhappy retreat from Quebeck, and loss of the Cedars; our credit and reputation lost, and great part of the country; and a powerful foreign enemy advancing upon us; are so many difficulties we cannot surmount them. My whole thoughts are now bent on making a safe retreat out of this country; however, I hope we shall not be obliged to leave it until we have had one bout more for the honour of America."

Benedict Arnold
Letter to Horatio Gates (1776)

Guess there's quite a tradition for Congress neglecting our troops back to the beginning...

Level 7

Nehwon

#8409 Apr 6, 2013
EraserX wrote:
THE power of regulating the militia, and of commanding its services in times of insurrection and invasion are natural incidents to the duties of superintending the common defense, and of watching over the internal peace of the Confederacy.
It requires no skill in the science of war to discern that uniformity in the organization and discipline of the militia would be attended with the most beneficial effects, whenever they were called into service for the public defense. It would enable them to discharge the duties of the camp and of the field with mutual intelligence and concert an advantage of peculiar moment in the operations of an army; and it would fit them much sooner to acquire the degree of proficiency in military functions which would be essential to their usefulness. This desirable uniformity can only be accomplished by confiding the regulation of the militia to the direction of the national authority. It is, therefore, with the most evident propriety, that the plan of the convention proposes to empower the Union "to provide for organizing, arming, and disciplining the militia, and for governing such part of them as may be employed in the service of the United States, RESERVING TO THE STATES RESPECTIVELY THE APPOINTMENT OF THE OFFICERS, AND THE AUTHORITY OF TRAINING THE MILITIA ACCORDING TO THE DISCIPLINE PRESCRIBED BY CONGRESS."
~ Alexander Hamilton
Federalist Papers 29.

The War of 1812 pretty much destroyed the idea that a "well regulated militia" is inadequate to defend the country and that we needed a professional military.

“The who whating how...”

Level 6

Since: Dec 12

"...with huh?"

#8410 Apr 7, 2013
"It is not in the nature of politics that the best men should be elected. The best men do not want to govern their fellow men."
George McDonald.

“I'll think about it.”

Level 4

Since: Nov 07

central Florida

#8411 Apr 7, 2013
“The major problem—one of the major problems, for there are several—one of the many major problems with governing people is that of whom you get to do it; or rather of who manages to get people to let them do it to them.

To summarize: it is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it.

To summarize the summary: anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.”

--Douglas Adams (a totally brilliant fellow...wish I could have met him)

“..maybe that's the last snow..”

Since: Jun 08

..anyone will EVER get....

#8412 Apr 7, 2013
"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different."

Kurt Vonnegut

Level 8

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#8413 Apr 7, 2013
Do not let the behavior of others destroy your inner peace.

Dalai Lama

#8414 Apr 7, 2013
"I have as much authority as the Pope, I just don't have as many people who believe it."

George Carlin

“you're not the boss of me!”

Since: Jan 08

the road less traveled.....

#8415 Apr 7, 2013
Old Sam wrote:
"I have as much authority as the Pope, I just don't have as many people who believe it."
George Carlin
will miss this guy, he was able to just point out the absurdity of everyday life and situations...tg for youtube!

#8416 Apr 7, 2013
Debra27 wrote:
<quoted text>
will miss this guy, he was able to just point out the absurdity of everyday life and situations...tg for youtube!
...i also thought sam kinison was a genius....

"I think people should be allowed to do anything they want. We haven't tried that for a while. Maybe this time it'll work."

George Carlin

“Hippie Witch”

Level 6

Since: May 08

Location hidden

#8417 Apr 8, 2013
We can smile, breathe, walk, and eat our meals in a way that allows us to be in touch with the abundance of happiness that is available. We are very good at preparing to live, but not very good at living. We know how to sacrifice ten years for a diploma, and we are willing to work very hard to get a job, a car, a house, and so on. But we have difficulty remembering that we are alive in the present moment, the only moment there is for us to be alive. Every breath we take, every step we make, can be filled with peace, joy, and serenity. We need only to be awake, alive in the present moment.~ Thich Nhat Hanh

“The who whating how...”

Level 6

"...with huh?"

#8418 Apr 8, 2013
Leonard: "Have you considered telling her how you feel?"

Sheldon Cooper: "Leonard, I'm a Physicist, not a hippy."

Big Bang

Level 8

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#8419 Apr 8, 2013
If you want to lift yourself up, lift someone else up.

Booker T Washington

“The who whating how...”

Level 6

"...with huh?"

#8420 Apr 8, 2013
"If you want something said, ask a man; if you want something done, ask a woman."
Margaret Thatcher

“Fishin" in the Moonlight”

Level 9

Since: Jul 11

.......¿.......

#8421 Apr 8, 2013
You don't fight racism with racism, the best way to fight racism is with solidarity.

~Bobby Seale

“The who whating how...”

Level 6

"...with huh?"

#8422 Apr 8, 2013
"Doubt whom you will but never yourself."
Christian Nestell Bovee

“Fishin" in the Moonlight”

Level 9

Since: Jul 11

.......¿.......

#8423 Apr 8, 2013
Capitalism is the legitimate racket of the ruling class.

You can get much farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word.

I don't even know what street Canada is on.

Now I know why Tigers eat their young.

~~ Al Capone

“Passionate Globetrotter”

Level 8

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#8424 Apr 8, 2013
The most wasted day is that on which we have not laughed.
~Chamfort

I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
~Walt Whitman

A happy life consists in tranquility of mind.
~Cicero

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 5 min The Dude 142,566
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 6 min Wolftracks 155,383
in just 20 years 9 min LOST IN MISSISSIPPI 1
Lets Discuss Men (Dec '13) 11 min Sublime1 513
"man" words 20 min Mechanic 258
Body Parts Found in Suitcase: SFPD 24 min TALLYHO 8541 12
***Keep a Word~Drop a Word*** (Jan '10) 25 min Life after Love 77,980
BAN(N) the P0STER Above you !!! (Feb '14) 38 min Mechanic 3,662
What are you thinking about now? (Jun '10) 42 min COOTERDOG 28,697
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 1 hr TALLYHO 8541 38,524