...and she's doin' research...

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2013

Judged:

"The income tax created more criminals than any other single act of government."

Barry M. Goldwater

“Right click Left click Yay!”

Level 7

Since: Dec 10

Nehwon

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2013

Judged:

Old Sam wrote:
"While the distance between the United States and Iraq is great, Saddam Hussein's ability to use his chemical and biological weapons against us is not constrained by geography - it can be accomplished in a number of different ways - which is what makes this threat so real and persuasive."
Dianne Feinstein
"A man can dream, can't he?"

Unfortunately, this has been used so often, my google-fu has failed to get a reputable original source. Lots of Futurama links :/

Level 7

Nehwon

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2013

Judged:

Old Sam wrote:
"The income tax created more criminals than any other single act of government."
Barry M. Goldwater
"Consider what happened one spring evening at midnight in 1987: seven million American children suddenly disappeared. The worst kidnapping wave in history? Hardly. It was the night of April 15, and the Internal Revenue Service had just changed a rule. Instead of merely listing the name of each dependent child, tax filers were now required to provide a Social Security number."

Jeffrey B. Liebman
http://www.snopes.com/business/taxes/dependen...

“...the wife wants a new car...”

Since: Jun 08

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2013

"What difference does it make?!"

Hillary

One of my favorite quotes.......

Level 7

Nehwon

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2013

Judged:

Whether you liked him or not, this was one hell of a movie review:

"I would rather eat a golf ball than see this movie again."
Roger Ebert

Level 7

Nehwon

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2013

Judged:

Dick Hern wrote:
I lost a left kidney 69 years ago in WWII.
Never felt better.
DH@
And may you post this again in 20 years from now.

If haven't told the tale of how that happened somewhere, please do so. While recalling those memories may be unpleasant, there are some who will hear your experiences and learn from them.

Level 7

Nehwon

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2013

Dragon Dreamer wrote:
"Always keep your mind as bright and clear as the vast sky, the great ocean, and the highest peak, empty of all thoughts. Always keep your body filled with light and heat. Fill yourself with the power of wisdom and enlightenment."
Morihei Ueshiba
I know that name.

Tell me, does the Bene Gesserit prayer from Dune have any meaning for you?

"I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
> I will permit it to pass over me and through me. <
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain."

Level 7

Nehwon

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2013

La Sunshine wrote:
“It is better to be alone than in bad company.”
&#8213; George Washington
"Neglected by Congress below; pinched with every want here; distressed with the small-pox; want of Generals and discipline in our Army — which may rather be called a great rabble — our late unhappy retreat from Quebeck, and loss of the Cedars; our credit and reputation lost, and great part of the country; and a powerful foreign enemy advancing upon us; are so many difficulties we cannot surmount them. My whole thoughts are now bent on making a safe retreat out of this country; however, I hope we shall not be obliged to leave it until we have had one bout more for the honour of America."

Benedict Arnold
Letter to Horatio Gates (1776)

Guess there's quite a tradition for Congress neglecting our troops back to the beginning...

Level 7

Nehwon

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2013

EraserX wrote:
THE power of regulating the militia, and of commanding its services in times of insurrection and invasion are natural incidents to the duties of superintending the common defense, and of watching over the internal peace of the Confederacy.
It requires no skill in the science of war to discern that uniformity in the organization and discipline of the militia would be attended with the most beneficial effects, whenever they were called into service for the public defense. It would enable them to discharge the duties of the camp and of the field with mutual intelligence and concert an advantage of peculiar moment in the operations of an army; and it would fit them much sooner to acquire the degree of proficiency in military functions which would be essential to their usefulness. This desirable uniformity can only be accomplished by confiding the regulation of the militia to the direction of the national authority. It is, therefore, with the most evident propriety, that the plan of the convention proposes to empower the Union "to provide for organizing, arming, and disciplining the militia, and for governing such part of them as may be employed in the service of the United States, RESERVING TO THE STATES RESPECTIVELY THE APPOINTMENT OF THE OFFICERS, AND THE AUTHORITY OF TRAINING THE MILITIA ACCORDING TO THE DISCIPLINE PRESCRIBED BY CONGRESS."
~ Alexander Hamilton
Federalist Papers 29.

The War of 1812 pretty much destroyed the idea that a "well regulated militia" is inadequate to defend the country and that we needed a professional military.

“Ungood doubleplus duckspeak.”

Level 6

Since: Dec 12

Earth.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

Judged:

"It is not in the nature of politics that the best men should be elected. The best men do not want to govern their fellow men."
George McDonald.

“I'll think about it.”

Level 4

Since: Nov 07

central Florida

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

“The major problem—one of the major problems, for there are several—one of the many major problems with governing people is that of whom you get to do it; or rather of who manages to get people to let them do it to them.

To summarize: it is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it.

To summarize the summary: anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.”

--Douglas Adams (a totally brilliant fellow...wish I could have met him)

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

Judged:

"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different."

Kurt Vonnegut

Level 8

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

Judged:

Do not let the behavior of others destroy your inner peace.

Dalai Lama

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

Judged:

"I have as much authority as the Pope, I just don't have as many people who believe it."

George Carlin

“you're not the boss of me!”

Since: Jan 08

the road less traveled.....

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

Judged:

Old Sam wrote:
"I have as much authority as the Pope, I just don't have as many people who believe it."
George Carlin
will miss this guy, he was able to just point out the absurdity of everyday life and situations...tg for youtube!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

Judged:

Debra27 wrote:
<quoted text>
will miss this guy, he was able to just point out the absurdity of everyday life and situations...tg for youtube!
...i also thought sam kinison was a genius....

"I think people should be allowed to do anything they want. We haven't tried that for a while. Maybe this time it'll work."

George Carlin

“Hippie Witch”

Level 6

Since: May 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Judged:

We can smile, breathe, walk, and eat our meals in a way that allows us to be in touch with the abundance of happiness that is available. We are very good at preparing to live, but not very good at living. We know how to sacrifice ten years for a diploma, and we are willing to work very hard to get a job, a car, a house, and so on. But we have difficulty remembering that we are alive in the present moment, the only moment there is for us to be alive. Every breath we take, every step we make, can be filled with peace, joy, and serenity. We need only to be awake, alive in the present moment.~ Thich Nhat Hanh

Level 6

Earth.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Judged:

Leonard: "Have you considered telling her how you feel?"

Sheldon Cooper: "Leonard, I'm a Physicist, not a hippy."

Big Bang

Level 8

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Judged:

If you want to lift yourself up, lift someone else up.

Booker T Washington

Level 6

Earth.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Judged:

"If you want something said, ask a man; if you want something done, ask a woman."
Margaret Thatcher

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 7,981 - 8,000 of13,012
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

221 Users are viewing the Weird Forum right now

Search the Weird Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
LOVE and OTHER BRUISES (Apr '12) 9 min Ozzie 1,250
what are you eatin'? (Mar '13) 10 min Instigator 2,376
Word goes to the Movies (Nov '08) 13 min Ozzie 13,988
+=Keep 1 Drop 1=+ 3 STACK (Mar '13) 13 min ladylove 6,784
GMGMike's Bar And Grill (Jan '10) 21 min Ozzie 20,298
***Keep a Word~Drop a Word*** (Jan '10) 23 min Sidneylonan 76,861
Word Association (Jun '10) 27 min curiouslu 25,978
What are you thinking about now? (Jun '10) 36 min SUG here 14,838
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 1 hr Ozzie 141,208