Interesting Quotes

“frequently laughing”

Level 8

Since: Apr 09

Hotel California

#8389 Apr 5, 2013
Camilla wrote:
<quoted text>
That's true as a general rule; sometimes though, they are dangled from out of nowhere -
And then..........to bite, or not to bite -
The choice remains with you.

“frequently laughing”

Level 8

Hotel California

#8390 Apr 5, 2013
It is not wisdom but Authority that makes a law.
Thomas Hobbes

“frequently laughing”

Level 8

Hotel California

#8391 Apr 5, 2013
Curiosity is the lust of the mind.
Thomas Hobbes

“I know where you are,”

Level 8

Since: Jun 08

Right here under my thumb

#8393 Apr 5, 2013
"In your life, you meet people. Some you never think about again. Some, you wonder what happened to them. There are some that you wonder if they ever think about you. And then there are some you wish you never had to think about again - but you do." ~ C.S. Lewis

“Still Waters Run Deep”

Level 6

Since: Sep 11

Waters Edge

#8394 Apr 5, 2013
"I call upon the scientific community in our country, those who gave us nuclear weapons, to turn their great talents now to the cause of mankind and world peace: to give us the means of rendering these nuclear weapons impotent and obsolete."

Ronald Reagan

(and then there was star wars)

“Still Waters Run Deep”

Level 6

Waters Edge

#8395 Apr 5, 2013
"I don't think that you can fake warmth. You can fake lust, jealousy, anger; those are all quite easy. But actual, genuine warmth? I don't think you can fake it."

Keira Knightley

Level 6

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#8396 Apr 5, 2013
"Stop and see what your children can do not what they cannot do. Build on what they can do."
Easy Peasy Kids

“Still Waters Run Deep”

Level 6

Waters Edge

#8397 Apr 6, 2013
"I was born with music inside me. Music was one of my parts. Like my ribs, my kidneys, my liver, my heart. Like my blood. It was a force already within me when I arrived on the scene. It was a necessity for me-like food or water."

Ray Charles

“Still Waters Run Deep”

Level 6

Waters Edge

#8398 Apr 6, 2013
"To have faith is to trust yourself to the water. When you swim you don't grab hold of the water, because if you do you will sink and drown. Instead you relax, and float."

Alan Watts

Level 1

Since: Apr 13

Marion, IL

#8399 Apr 6, 2013
If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you have always got...

“Right click Left click Yay!”

Level 7

Since: Dec 10

Nehwon

#8400 Apr 6, 2013
La Sunshine wrote:
“If you can't understand it without an explanation, you can't understand it with an explanation.”
&#8213; Haruki Murakami, 1Q84
"I'd like to buy a vowel."
Contestant on Wheel of Fortune.

“HEY! Who voted for Jared”

Kushner? No One? Thot so.....

#8401 Apr 6, 2013
"The income tax created more criminals than any other single act of government."

Barry M. Goldwater

Level 7

Nehwon

#8402 Apr 6, 2013
Old Sam wrote:
"While the distance between the United States and Iraq is great, Saddam Hussein's ability to use his chemical and biological weapons against us is not constrained by geography - it can be accomplished in a number of different ways - which is what makes this threat so real and persuasive."
Dianne Feinstein
"A man can dream, can't he?"

Unfortunately, this has been used so often, my google-fu has failed to get a reputable original source. Lots of Futurama links :/

Level 7

Nehwon

#8403 Apr 6, 2013
Old Sam wrote:
"The income tax created more criminals than any other single act of government."
Barry M. Goldwater
"Consider what happened one spring evening at midnight in 1987: seven million American children suddenly disappeared. The worst kidnapping wave in history? Hardly. It was the night of April 15, and the Internal Revenue Service had just changed a rule. Instead of merely listing the name of each dependent child, tax filers were now required to provide a Social Security number."

Jeffrey B. Liebman
http://www.snopes.com/business/taxes/dependen...

“HEY! Who voted for Jared”

Kushner? No One? Thot so.....

#8404 Apr 6, 2013
"What difference does it make?!"

Hillary

One of my favorite quotes.......

Level 7

Nehwon

#8405 Apr 6, 2013
Whether you liked him or not, this was one hell of a movie review:

"I would rather eat a golf ball than see this movie again."
Roger Ebert

Level 7

Nehwon

#8406 Apr 6, 2013
Dick Hern wrote:
I lost a left kidney 69 years ago in WWII.
Never felt better.
DH@
And may you post this again in 20 years from now.

If haven't told the tale of how that happened somewhere, please do so. While recalling those memories may be unpleasant, there are some who will hear your experiences and learn from them.

Level 7

Nehwon

#8407 Apr 6, 2013
Dragon Dreamer wrote:
"Always keep your mind as bright and clear as the vast sky, the great ocean, and the highest peak, empty of all thoughts. Always keep your body filled with light and heat. Fill yourself with the power of wisdom and enlightenment."
Morihei Ueshiba
I know that name.

Tell me, does the Bene Gesserit prayer from Dune have any meaning for you?

"I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
> I will permit it to pass over me and through me. <
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain."

Level 7

Nehwon

#8408 Apr 6, 2013
La Sunshine wrote:
“It is better to be alone than in bad company.”
&#8213; George Washington
"Neglected by Congress below; pinched with every want here; distressed with the small-pox; want of Generals and discipline in our Army — which may rather be called a great rabble — our late unhappy retreat from Quebeck, and loss of the Cedars; our credit and reputation lost, and great part of the country; and a powerful foreign enemy advancing upon us; are so many difficulties we cannot surmount them. My whole thoughts are now bent on making a safe retreat out of this country; however, I hope we shall not be obliged to leave it until we have had one bout more for the honour of America."

Benedict Arnold
Letter to Horatio Gates (1776)

Guess there's quite a tradition for Congress neglecting our troops back to the beginning...

Level 7

Nehwon

#8409 Apr 6, 2013
EraserX wrote:
THE power of regulating the militia, and of commanding its services in times of insurrection and invasion are natural incidents to the duties of superintending the common defense, and of watching over the internal peace of the Confederacy.
It requires no skill in the science of war to discern that uniformity in the organization and discipline of the militia would be attended with the most beneficial effects, whenever they were called into service for the public defense. It would enable them to discharge the duties of the camp and of the field with mutual intelligence and concert an advantage of peculiar moment in the operations of an army; and it would fit them much sooner to acquire the degree of proficiency in military functions which would be essential to their usefulness. This desirable uniformity can only be accomplished by confiding the regulation of the militia to the direction of the national authority. It is, therefore, with the most evident propriety, that the plan of the convention proposes to empower the Union "to provide for organizing, arming, and disciplining the militia, and for governing such part of them as may be employed in the service of the United States, RESERVING TO THE STATES RESPECTIVELY THE APPOINTMENT OF THE OFFICERS, AND THE AUTHORITY OF TRAINING THE MILITIA ACCORDING TO THE DISCIPLINE PRESCRIBED BY CONGRESS."
~ Alexander Hamilton
Federalist Papers 29.

The War of 1812 pretty much destroyed the idea that a "well regulated militia" is inadequate to defend the country and that we needed a professional military.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
2words into 2new words (May '12) 3 min rainmaker2016 8,120
Post "any three words" (Sep '12) 4 min Princess Hey 4,138
Funny!! Word association game. (Nov '13) 12 min xxxooxxx 5,734
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 17 min xxxooxxx 217,171
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 27 min It Never Ends 75,279
News What is up with that strange photo of President... 38 min Lawrence Wolf 7
keep a word drop a word (Sep '12) 51 min xxxooxxx 15,798
Denny Crain's Place (May '10) 53 min Lol 21,875
Poll What are you thinking right now? (May '08) 1 hr a_visitor 4,095
More from around the web