Official: 27 dead in Conn. school sho...

Official: 27 dead in Conn. school shooting

There are 25 comments on the The Kansas City Star story from Dec 15, 2012, titled Official: 27 dead in Conn. school shooting. In it, The Kansas City Star reports that:

A gunman opened fire inside a Connecticut elementary school Friday in a shooting that left 27 people dead, including 18 children, an official said.The official spoke on condition of anonymity because the investigation was still under way.The shooting appeared to be the nation's second-deadliest school shooting, exceeded only by the Virginia Tech ... (more)

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Kansas City Star.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“Grab all the good”

Level 5

Since: Jul 10

Rowlett Tx

#22 Dec 16, 2012
Bama Yankee wrote:
<quoted text>
Bushmaster .223, a semi-automatic rifle.
No military would consider a semi-auto an assault rifle. Only a lying politician who want to get votes would classify a gun by how it looks rather than how it functions. You can trick out a Rugger 10/22 and it fits the definition of an assault rifle.
60s chic

Allentown, PA

#23 Dec 16, 2012
Wow Denny, you know your stuff. Before this tragedy occurred, I didn't know anything about guns. I still don't like them, but I know they're here to stay. I hate the fact that these firearms can kill so many and so quickly, and by sick evil people.

“Grab all the good”

Level 5

Since: Jul 10

Rowlett Tx

#24 Dec 16, 2012
60s chic wrote:
Wow Denny, you know your stuff. Before this tragedy occurred, I didn't know anything about guns. I still don't like them, but I know they're here to stay. I hate the fact that these firearms can kill so many and so quickly, and by sick evil people.
Most people don't know much about guns and since the semi- auto Ak47 and the full auto AK 47 look alike it is easy to get them confused as it is with a M-16 and an Ar-15. Most people don't realize that it is legal to own a real full auto machine gun. It just takes a class 3 license. All it requires is a tax and an extensive back ground check. I never cared for the spray and pray approach. I am all about super accuracy. Shooting is a wonderful sport. When you are trying to put each round through the same hole you don't think about much else but perfection. It is very relaxing. When something terrible like this happens people operate from their emotions rather that their logic. A good machinist can make anything. John Browning made a lever action 30-30 into a full auto. Browning invented systems that are still used today. The 50 cal. M-2 heavy machine gun is 100 years old and still used today.

The Gap, Australia

#25 Dec 28, 2012
I Promise:

(A Mother's Response to the Newtown Shooting)

Editor's Note: One week ago, a deeply troubled young man carrying a semiautomatic assault rifle and two pistols broke into a Newtown, Connecticut, elementary school and shot 26 people to death before killing himself.

Twenty of the victims were six- and seven-year-old children.

In a nation grown increasingly accustomed to mass shootings, the reactions to this massacre have been intense--and intensely personal. Today's story is one such response, that of a parent. Last Friday, this Anonymous Topix reader, composed this heartfelt letter to her six-month-old son. In it, she voices thoughts and feelings inspired by a horror that is any parent's nightmare.

In the hopes of furthering an ongoing conversation about keeping our nation's children safe--and about protecting one another as well--we share her letter with you today.

December 14, 2012

Dear Alon,

An awful thing happened today. Your dad and I discussed it over your head at our dining-room table; you were sitting on his lap.

Then he turned you around to face him and asked you, "Alon, how does homeschooling sound?" Only half joking.

Perhaps you are too young for us to have a conversation about it tonight, but I feel compelled to tell you a few things, anyway.

I love you more than life itself, and if there was anything I could reasonably do to protect you from harm, I would do it. After hearing what happened today, it was hard to put you down in your crib to sleep. I wish there was some way I could hold you forever and be your human shield. But that would make for many awkward first dates.

I do promise this, though: I promise to try my best to raise you in a home that teaches tolerance of others and intolerance of violence. I promise to teach you to challenge people with words and debate, not force. I promise to do my best to create an environment that engenders curiosity, love, and respect toward the world and to steer you away from activities that desensitize people to violence, even if this means making myself unpopular by banning certain games or toys from our home.

I promise that before I send you to a friend's house to play, no matter how socially inconvenient it may be, I will ask about the presence of firearms. I promise to vote, and vote responsibly, for who I think would best advocate for you and who is most likely to support legislation and policies that will help us keep you healthy and safe.

I promise to feed you vegetables. I promise to read to you every day we're together, at least until you can read to yourself. I promise to vaccinate you, in a manner recommended by evidence/science/expert opinion. I promise to teach you to buckle your seat belt and look both ways before crossing the street. I promise to insist you wear a helmet when you learn to ride a bike.

I promise to always have a working carbon monoxide and smoke detector at home. I promise to never leave you in a tub unattended, at the very least until you're four. I promise to teach you how to swim or to send you to someone who can teach you better than I can.

I promise to help you with your homework. I promise to give you a pillow to pound and a listening ear you can vent to when you get angry. I promise to talk to you about safe sex, alcohol and drugs.

I promise to love you unconditionally, but not to take your love for granted.

I promise to tell you that I love you every day and say goodnight to you every night.

And I love you.

A million times over, I love you.

What drugs was shooter on

Suncook, NH

#26 Dec 29, 2012
Im watching t.v and again one of those happy pill shut you up psychiatric pill ads that say may cause suicidal thoughts and actions in children teen and young adults or some crap like that.

What drugs was this shooter taking ? every channel ask you doctor about pills !!! may cause thoughts of SUICIDE ???? WTF WTF WTF ?

WTF ? They play them over and over

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
6 letter word ...change one letter game (Oct '08) 1 min SUG here 32,067
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 2 min Blitzking 212,930
Last 3 Letters into 3 new words. (Dec '08) 5 min Princess Hey 60,489
CHANGE One letter CHANCE (Sep '08) 6 min SUG here 35,443
Post "any three words" (Sep '12) 7 min Princess Hey 3,477
5 Letter Word, Change 1 Letter (Oct '15) 8 min SweLL GirL 4,482
Add a Word remove a Word (Oct '13) 8 min Princess Hey 4,438
Last two letters into two new words... (Jun '15) 11 min Princess Hey 5,042
What turns you on ? (Aug '11) 13 min Sharlene45 984
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 21 min LIM 63,206