American auto industry about to go on...

American auto industry about to go on hiring spree

There are 79 comments on the The Kansas City Star story from Jun 9, 2013, titled American auto industry about to go on hiring spree. In it, The Kansas City Star reports that:

Taxpayers have spent billions of dollars over two decades to reduce the potential damage from another massive flood like the one that ravaged Missouri and eight other states in 1993.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Kansas City Star.

“I know where you are,”

Level 8

Since: Jun 08

Right here under my thumb

#43 Jun 11, 2013
Nancy Botwin wrote:
<quoted text>
It DOESN'T say anything about SURPLUS JOBS....because there is no such thing. There are jobs that take longer to fill. There are jobs that require more education. There is no such thing as a surplus job!
YOU posted this and it blows YOUR concept of "SURPLUS JOBS" out of the water. Why can't you read?
http://www.politifact.com/florida/statements/...
Read the last post on the previous page. It was Busnessweek's term back in 2009. Now clean up that chin and take your meds.

“I know where you are,”

Level 8

#44 Jun 11, 2013
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>My Brother-in-law worked at a plant in Whitehall, Michigan...they did a segment on 60 Minutes about it....All they wanted were employees with minimal mechanical and math talents, and the picking were beyond slim...these were jobs starting in the low-mid $30,000 range....i was shocked as hell, especially after all the noise about this administration and not enough jobs.....
The auto industry is what I term as "temporary work." There is never any guarantee of day-to-day employment and they close and open plants faster than Nancy Botwin can work your zipper.

Level 9

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#45 Jun 11, 2013
milwaukee69 wrote:
<quoted text>
The auto industry is what I term as "temporary work." There is never any guarantee of day-to-day employment and they close and open plants faster than Nancy Botwin can work your zipper.
Yes but every car produced translates into job security for you boys working the local jiffy lube...

“I know where you are,”

Level 8

#46 Jun 11, 2013
I Am Enzo - The Baker wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes but every car produced translates into job security for you boys working the local jiffy lube...
An oil change in my Evoque runs me $75 - dealer cost, which is cheap for anything Rover.

Level 7

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#47 Jun 11, 2013
milwaukee69 wrote:
<quoted text>
One aspect hard to ignore, is that sales have been booming for quite awhile now....the rise on the construction front, has also helped sell trucks.....

“I know where you are,”

Level 8

#48 Jun 11, 2013
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>One aspect hard to ignore, is that sales have been booming for quite awhile now....the rise on the construction front, has also helped sell trucks.....
Precisely what I said in an earlier post - fleet sales are what drives the Big 3, not consumers.

Level 7

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#49 Jun 11, 2013
milwaukee69 wrote:
<quoted text>
Precisely what I said in an earlier post - fleet sales are what drives the Big 3, not consumers.
Do you actually dispute every aspect of our American Economic Recovery? Is it like keeping the election debate going, for you?

“I know where you are,”

Level 8

#50 Jun 11, 2013
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>Do you actually dispute every aspect of our American Economic Recovery? Is it like keeping the election debate going, for you?
I actually see decent economic recovery each and everyday - no disputing about it. I dispute nothing - I call 'em as I see 'em.

It's everybody and anybody's right to dispute what I see.

“I know where you are,”

Level 8

#51 Jun 11, 2013
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>Do you actually dispute every aspect of our American Economic Recovery? Is it like keeping the election debate going, for you?
And...construction increases ARE what drives up fleet sales.

Level 6

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#52 Jun 11, 2013
milwaukee69 wrote:
<quoted text>
And...construction increases ARE what drives up fleet sales.
Really?

Perhaps you can explain why the fleet truck sales have decreased while the fleet car sales have increased.

Are all those carpenters, dry wall finishers and painters driving cars to the job site instead of pickup trucks?

“I know where you are,”

Level 8

#54 Jun 13, 2013
Bama Yankee wrote:
<quoted text>
Really?
Perhaps you can explain why the fleet truck sales have decreased while the fleet car sales have increased.
Are all those carpenters, dry wall finishers and painters driving cars to the job site instead of pickup trucks?
Oh wait, I forgot to put this one up - from today:

"Construction and house building are the key drivers for pickups as contractors buy trucks to transport building materials. Data released by the US Census Bureau and the Department of Housing and Urban Development show that April SAAR for building permits reached 1.02 million, up 14.3% over the March rate of 890,000 and 35.8% over the April 2012 rate of 749,000."

http://beta.fool.com/tinade/2013/06/13/this-a...

Dang, imagine that?

Level 6

Location hidden

#55 Jun 13, 2013
milwaukee69 wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh wait, I forgot to put this one up - from today:
"Construction and house building are the key drivers for pickups as contractors buy trucks to transport building materials. Data released by the US Census Bureau and the Department of Housing and Urban Development show that April SAAR for building permits reached 1.02 million, up 14.3% over the March rate of 890,000 and 35.8% over the April 2012 rate of 749,000."
Dang, imagine that?
Dang, imagine that........ not one freaking word about sales.

“I know where you are,”

Level 8

#56 Jun 13, 2013
Bama Yankee wrote:
<quoted text>
Dang, imagine that........ not one freaking word about sales.
I take it you only read the link, huh?

"In May, Ford sold 71,604 pickups, crossing the 70,000 mark for the first time since March 2007."

"Construction and house building are the key drivers for pickups as contractors buy trucks to transport building materials."

Dang, imagine that.

Level 6

Location hidden

#57 Jun 13, 2013
milwaukee69 wrote:
<quoted text>
I take it you only read the link, huh?
"In May, Ford sold 71,604 pickups, crossing the 70,000 mark for the first time since March 2007."
"Construction and house building are the key drivers for pickups as contractors buy trucks to transport building materials."
Dang, imagine that.
I was distracted. Let me say what I meant.........

Not one single word about fleet sales.

“I know where you are,”

Level 8

#58 Jun 13, 2013
Bama Yankee wrote:
<quoted text>
I was distracted. Let me say what I meant.........
Not one single word about fleet sales.
LMFGDAO!!!

What would you care to call "Construction and house building are the key drivers for pickups as contractors buy trucks to transport building materials."

And...

"The pickup segment has received an additional boost from record energy production levels in the US. There is a flurry of exploration activities going on in Texas and North Dakota and the exploration companies are buying trucks by hordes."

Let...me...repeat...that...buy iong trucks by the hordes.

“I know where you are,”

Level 8

#59 Jun 13, 2013
*buying

Level 6

Location hidden

#60 Jun 13, 2013
milwaukee69 wrote:
*buying
You call it any darned thing you want.

I spent 20 years in an auto plant. I know hordes from fleet sales.

You obviously don't.

“I know where you are,”

Level 8

#61 Jun 13, 2013
Bama Yankee wrote:
<quoted text>
You call it any darned thing you want.
I spent 20 years in an auto plant. I know hordes from fleet sales.
You obviously don't.
Sweeping floors and cleaning toilets ain't buildin' engines. I've got you trumped - I'll throw my 25 years in and add another 2 - in Detroit and Satillo, Mexico.

Without fleet sales, automakers wouldn't be able to post the sales numbers they do - that is a fact.

Don't take it personally - I only posted the article - maybe you can go argue with the authors.

“Cat got your tongue?”

Level 7

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#62 Jun 13, 2013
You're statement to me...

This coming from someone who posts blogs as a real source of information? LMFGDAO...that is rich.
http://www.topix.com/forum/news/weird/T3VFJ1R...
~~~~~~
From your post...Which is from guess where? A BLOG!
The Motley Fool

*Eshna is a member of The Motley Fool BLOG Network -- entries represent the personal opinion of the blogger and are not formally edited.*

"The pickup segment has received an additional boost from record energy production levels in the US. There is a flurry of exploration activities going on in Texas and North Dakota and the exploration companies are buying trucks by hordes."

Seems blogs are acceptable as long as YOU'RE the one using them.

Fleet Sales Push Ford Motor Company Sales Down 3.8 Percent in July 2012 (11 months ago)

Blame it on commercial customers: Ford Motor Company claimed that retail sales of its Ford and Lincoln cars were up 2 percent last month, but total sales were down 3.8 percent to 173,966 units. The loss was shared across the brands: Ford sales were down 3.5 percent to 166,991 units, and Lincoln sales were down 10.7 percent to 6975 units. Fleet sales were down by 16 percent.

Ford’s public sales numbers don’t distinguish between retail and fleet sales–so we’ve collected the winners and losers in terms of total numbers.

Read more: http://wot.motortrend.com/fleet-sales-push-fo...

Level 6

Location hidden

#63 Jun 13, 2013
milwaukee69 wrote:
<quoted text>
Sweeping floors and cleaning toilets ain't buildin' engines. I've got you trumped - I'll throw my 25 years in and add another 2 - in Detroit and Satillo, Mexico.
Without fleet sales, automakers wouldn't be able to post the sales numbers they do - that is a fact.
Don't take it personally - I only posted the article - maybe you can go argue with the authors.
5 years as a supervisor in the paint shop & the rest as a QC Repairman isn't sweeping floors. Nor is 14 years doing QC Repair at John Deere Harvester.

You're far from having me trumped.

You originally claimed "fleet sales" and you've yet to prove that remark.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News WTF News: It's Weird, True and Funny 3 min beatlesinthebog 3
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 4 min The Northener 201,218
TRUMP, Donald (Jun '15) 5 min FERRET and GENO 151
Any Word ! (Mar '11) 5 min Princess Hey 4,727
+=Keep 1 Drop 1=+ 3 STACK (Mar '13) 8 min beatlesinthebog 10,322
2015: "Make a Story/ 6 Words Only: (Apr '15) 9 min beatlesinthebog 7,001
conversation using song lyrics (Aug '13) 18 min beatlesinthebog 2,341
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 34 min Sublime1 194,233
News Trump's Newest Ad Is So Frickin' WeirdBy Olivia... 1 hr Bravo Uniform Mike 59
What Turns You Off (Jun '11) 1 hr Knock off purse s... 7,800
Crystal_Clears Kitchen (Refurbished) (Jan '16) 2 hr Enzo49 8,487
More from around the web