When I was a kid.....

“Vintage 1949”

Level 1

Since: Mar 13

...lightly salted...

#3249 Jun 15, 2014
When I was a kid, I remember the time I sitting on my Dad's lap and steering his '55 Buick Special across the George Washington bridge...

“I'll just kick me down a wall,”

Level 6

Since: Dec 11

And walk outa here!

#3250 Jun 16, 2014
Enzo49 wrote:
When I was a kid, I remember the time I sitting on my Dad's lap and steering his '55 Buick Special across the George Washington bridge...
i remember sitting in my uncles lap trying to drive his car when I was around 4 or 5. Every one of my kids have sat in my lap and drove because of that moment and each time I always remember that day.

Level 7

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#3251 Jun 16, 2014
Crazy Guggenheim wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =Nx_CudCLnD8XX
Thanks....People weren't aware of all his talent, including writing music......To see his full range, check out a movie, Gigot....he made and directed in France, about a poor, deaf mute in France, and how everyone treats him....exceptional....I loved the guy.........

“Bringing A little Sunshine ”

Level 9

Since: Mar 12

On My WayThrough Life

#3252 Jun 16, 2014
I remember as a kid when you left your doors unlocked and windows..you could trust others your name meant something and your handshake..neighbors helping neighbors..everybody watched out for others..wow how things have changed..they call it progress but really is it..such sad times we live in..
Jennette

Portland, OR

#3253 Jun 16, 2014
(formerly Sybian Princess)
I remember as a kid coming home from school and changing out of my "nice school clothes" I get on my Schwinn girl's Stingray bike and take off riding through the neighborhood to a local city park a couple of miles from the house. I'd buy a snack and soda off the pretzel cart, sit on a park bench by myself watching the afternoon. I'd walk my bike through the trails, as the evening wore on I knew I had to pedal home to be back by the time the streetlights came on, cause that was dinner time. No one reported me missing, no one worried about abduction and molesters. And if I broke too many rules I would get a spanking! And you know what, it wasn't child abuse.

“Denny Crain”

Level 8

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#3254 Jun 16, 2014
I remember when I was a kid growing up in the carnival. I got to close to Queeny the elephant showing off that I wasn't scared of her. She slapped me with her trunk and sent me sailing in the air. I will never forget that elephant taking me down a peg or two : )

Level 9

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#3255 Jun 16, 2014
When I waa kid there was things that happened and wish they never did.Not so good memories.
Harrison Freebird

New Bern, NC

#3256 Jun 16, 2014
I remember as a kid the 3 summers working at Spirit Lake Lodge. Years later May 18th 1980 Mt. Saint Helens erupted taking both the lodge and lake away.

“Bringing A little Sunshine ”

Level 9

Since: Mar 12

On My WayThrough Life

#3257 Jun 16, 2014
Yes Jennette..I know what you mean those were the good old days wished our children could live those times..wading in the ditches after a good rain ..I got caught sitting in them and neighbors calling my mom and I got the dickens spanked out of me..little girls just didnt do stuff like that.but it still was fun..LOL..my brother making wooden scooters and the brake was a wooden peg that mashed against the wheel to stop it and to start and go was sissy pushing brother to get him going..LOL..loved it....

Level 9

Location hidden

#3258 Jun 16, 2014
When I was a kid.(7)....I seen blood from where a family member rolled on the baby (18 days old) and killed it...
Ozzie

Concord, CA

#3259 Jun 16, 2014
my parents told me they loved me with all their hearts I believed them and still do all these years.

~Oz

then explained the consequences to me on lighting my sisters dolls hair on fire.

ouch.

Level 9

Location hidden

#3260 Jun 16, 2014
Ozzie wrote:
my parents told me they loved me with all their hearts I believed them and still do all these years.
~Oz
then explained the consequences to me on lighting my sisters dolls hair on fire.
ouch.
Happy for you that your parents told you that.I never heard that growing up..

Level 7

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#3261 Jun 16, 2014
Denny CranesPlace wrote:
I remember when I was a kid growing up in the carnival. I got to close to Queeny the elephant showing off that I wasn't scared of her. She slapped me with her trunk and sent me sailing in the air. I will never forget that elephant taking me down a peg or two :)
I lost my virginity at the Circus....i can still feel her beard.....often wimper at a Caliope playing.....

Level 8

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#3262 Jun 19, 2014
When I was a kid, a troll was only in fairy tales, now they're everywhere!

Level 9

Location hidden

#3263 Jun 19, 2014
when I was a kid I walked into a parking meter...

Level 9

Location hidden

#3264 Jun 19, 2014
..but when I got older I walked into a glass door....I wasn't the only one that day.But I was the only one who continue to go inside.

Level 8

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#3265 Jun 19, 2014
honeymylove wrote:
when I was a kid I walked into a parking meter...
When I was in highschool on a field trip with my future wife (I didn't know her at the time), we were at a park. A bunch of us were playing catch with the football. Someone threw a long pass ... I ran, caught it, and then ran into one of those metal grills they have in parks for people to grill on. I didn't even see it. I cut the living eff out my bicep to my arm pit, but I caught the pass, lol. She remembers that. I didn't go to the doctor anything, but I still have a scar there.

Then on the way home from the trip, she and her bf at the time were sitting across from me on the bus (it was the first time I noticed her). I was sleepy and I kept dosing off, but every time I would fall asleep my head would fall forward, wake me up, I would, pick it back up, dose off, do it again, dose off, do it again. When I finally woke up, they told me they were watching me and laughing.

Quite the first impression, lol.

“I'll just kick me down a wall,”

Level 6

Since: Dec 11

And walk outa here!

#3266 Mar 29, 2015
When I was a kid I never dreamed of the changes that would come in the future. As a child it was nothing to stay out way after dark and playing hide and seek, or go off with my bf on our bikes for hours at a time without our parents fearing for our safety. Now this is not to say there wasn't any dangers then, but they were nothing like today.
The world is not and never will be like it was back then. Some for the good, and some for the bad. It's literally changing all around us faster and faster as each moment goes by.
It's funny how as a kid you just can't wait to be on your own and as you get older you miss being a kid.

“Peace & Noodles & Manga”

Since: Jun 15

The Answer is 42

#3268 Jun 5, 2015
PeanutButtercup wrote:
Roller rinks were popular, and a safe place for kids to go. Parents would drop children off and pick them up later. No worries about drugs, perverts, violence, illegal shenanigans. And children were well behaved for the most part. None of that hey-let's-destroy-the-bathroom -for-kicks in those days.
I forgot! No safety gear was required. I don't think kids back then even owned safety gear.

Level 8

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#3269 Jun 5, 2015
PeanutButtercup wrote:
<quoted text>I forgot! No safety gear was required. I don't think kids back then even owned safety gear.
I did that A LOT as a kid.

My wife or I take my boys to the roller rink. They have fun.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
10,000 pOST WINS 2.0 >>>>> (Aug '11) 21 min NotaGoth 253
LOVE and OTHER BRUISES (Apr '12) 21 min beatlesinthebog 1,437
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 22 min Cool 68 44,004
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 24 min DanFromSmithville 174,014
Last Post Wins! (Aug '08) 26 min NotaGoth 141,554
CHANGE One letter CHANCE (Sep '08) 26 min Truths 32,784
20,000th Post Wins - 2d Edition (Jan '13) 33 min Truths 2,479
2015: "Make a Story/ 6 Words Only: 1 hr Hoosier Hillbilly 2,565
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 2 hr gracefallen 169,653
JUST SAY SOMETHING. Whatever comes to mind!! (Aug '09) 3 hr gracefallen 29,775