Level 5

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#2896 Aug 27, 2012
We had a Chinese food truck called Chow Chow Cup that came around the neighborhood. The cup was a hard noodle like the ones you put in your Won Ton soup that had rice & chow mein in it. They also sold egg rolls.

“Pardon my nosiness ”

Level 7

Since: May 07

London, England

#2897 Aug 27, 2012
I remember growing up in the mean streets of London, when the shell fish man wheeling his handcart along our street, on a Sunday morning, would be shouting "Cockles and Mussels". He usually sold winkles, whelks, prawns, and other nasty things by the pint and half pint.
Hoosier Hillbilly

Palmyra, IN

#2898 Aug 30, 2012
I WANT TO GO BACK TO THE TIME WHEN

Decisions were made by going "eeny-meeny-miney-mo. "
Mistakes were corrected by simply exclaiming "do over!"

"Race issues" meant arguing about who ran the fastest.
Money issues were handled by whoever was the banker in "Monopoly."

Catching the fireflies could happily occupy an entire evening.
It wasn't odd to have two or three "best" friends.

Being old referred to anyone over 20.
The net on a tennis court was the perfect height to play volleyball and rules didn't matter.

The worst thing you could catch from the opposite sex was "cooties".
It was magic when dad would "remove" his thumb.

It was unbelievable that dodgeball wasn't an Olympic event.
Having a weapon in school meant being caught with a slingshot.

Nobody was prettier than Mom.
Scrapes and bruises were kissed and made better.

It was a big deal to finally be tall enough to ride the "big people" rides at the amusement park.
A foot of snow was a dream come true.

Abilities were discovered because of a "double-dog-dare." Saturday morning cartoons weren't 30-minute ads for action figures.

No shopping trip was complete unless a new toy was brought home.
"Oly-oly-oxen-all-in-free " made perfect sense.

Spinning around, getting dizzy, and falling down was cause for giggles. The worst embarrassment was being picked last for a team.

War was a card game.
Water balloons were the ultimate weapon.

Baseball cards in the spokes transformed any bike into a motorcycle.
Taking drugs meant orange-flavored chewable aspirin.

Ice cream was considered a basic food group.
Older siblings were the worst tormentors, but also the fiercest protectors.

If you can remember most or all of these, then you have had a great life.
ALIAS - Trish

Cape Girardeau, MO

#2899 Aug 30, 2012
When I was a kid I had to be such a little adult!

Was five and was feeding and diapering mommie's newest babies! FIVE! That's when my mothering began and it was fun I thought that a baby doll. Never had baby dolls. Diapering was a challenge before I learned to put my fingers in front of the pin before the babies skin. Poor babies, I didn't mean to hurt them. Mom didn't start out to mean to be mean, but now she pins me every chance she gets. Since I was a baby. Owww!

***no more whining about then, just who I am now.
Like to act like a kid still, to make up for not being aloud then. LOUD? Yep, even then while when the Shut up started when I was just a kid.

“I'll just kick me down a wall,”

Level 6

Since: Dec 11

And walk outa here!

#2900 Jan 6, 2013
Sitting here early in the morning drinking coffee reminds me when I was a kid staying at my grandparents house. They were always up before the dawn and the sound of their old coffee maker would always wake me up and I would sit and watch it as it brewed through that little glass thingy at the top that looked like a diamond.
They would make toast and dip it in their coffee and eat it. And my grandma would tell me I couldn't drink coffee yet because it would stunt my growth. They would sit there for a couple hours drinking coffee and smoking pall mall cigarettes until the sun came up,then my grandma would start cooking breakfast and my grandpa would go out to feed his coon dogs....I love old memories like that.
Grace Nerissa

Dublin, Ireland

#2901 Jan 6, 2013
liam cul8r wrote:
Sitting here early in the morning drinking coffee reminds me when I was a kid staying at my grandparents house. They were always up before the dawn and the sound of their old coffee maker would always wake me up and I would sit and watch it as it brewed through that little glass thingy at the top that looked like a diamond.
They would make toast and dip it in their coffee and eat it. And my grandma would tell me I couldn't drink coffee yet because it would stunt my growth. They would sit there for a couple hours drinking coffee and smoking pall mall cigarettes until the sun came up,then my grandma would start cooking breakfast and my grandpa would go out to feed his coon dogs....I love old memories like that.
What a lovely post Liam, beautifully expressed.

It is so nice, I agree, to look back like that..

I remember thinking how wonderful it would be to have a little purse with
my own money like an adult !

After months of longing, an elderly aunt gave me her old tiny purse when it needed replacing,
My father provided tuppence for my purse and I was
'walking on air'!!!!
Donzie

Hopkinsville, KY

#2902 Jan 6, 2013
As a child I had to be GOOD all week to get the reward of watching one TV program on the weekend.Me and my sisters would do chores all week .Knowing that we would get snowcones with our earnings. LIFE WAS GRAND!

Level 1

Since: Feb 10

Orlando, FL

#2903 Jan 6, 2013
Grandpa smoking his corn cob pipe in front of fireplace playing Chinese checkers with me when I was a little guy. 😄😄😄
60s chic

Bethlehem, PA

#2904 Jan 6, 2013
My Grandma baking Christmas cookies, Sunday school, singing in the children's choir, picnics in our backyard, a 2 week trip to the mountains with my best friend and her family, the old store that all the kids went to and bought the best penny candy, ice cream and comic books, then off to the playground. It was a great way to spend a lazy Summer day. Also remember the old PAL dances at the firehouse. That was when Coca Cola was really Coca Cola. Such fun times and I miss them so much.

Since: Aug 09

Location hidden

#2905 Jan 6, 2013
Last night I was thinking how our past dictates (to a certain degree), our future habits . Growing up we had 3 meals a day . No snacks between meals. At school we had balanced meals . Rare was the times we'd go out to eat things like pizza (unless kids ate free). My folks had 11 children . They couldn't afford those "extras" like treats , snacks, cokes, cookies, etc.
now I am glad I was "trained" to not have over indulged or think of foods not good for you . I became a diabetic at age 15. It's been a blessing to have had food restrictions .

Level 9

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#2906 Jan 15, 2013
I remember visiting my father's parents and his mother seen to never sleep...to busy taking care of everyone.I loved her apple butter.
Carrying pails of water from down the road and that lye soap to wash with.The dipper everyone drunk from.A pan to wash your hands in and yes even had a slop jar as one would call it.Those old blade mowers to cut the grass.
Grandpa cutting a slice of his blug tobacco,Days Work it was call,to us girls.Yes I put that stuff in my mouth and would ask him for more.
The cowboy books my uncle would read.
Those memories...

Level 9

Since: Feb 12

New York, NY

#2907 Jan 15, 2013
When I was a kid there was no need for warning labels on toys...

“The who whating how...”

Level 6

Since: Dec 12

"...with huh?"

#2908 Jan 16, 2013
When I was a kid, my Grandma was around, I miss her <3

Level 9

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#2909 Jan 16, 2013
Juicylu wrote:
When I was a kid, my Grandma was around, I miss her <3
I'm sorry...I miss mine as well.She passed when I was around 13.Would loved to known her better and our Indian hertiage.She was cherokee.Onced I saw her hair down and it was pass her behind.She was combing it.Placed her hair back into the 2 braids and wrapped them around her head.
My grandma was a hard working woman and at time I feel I'm like her in some ways.

“I'll just kick me down a wall,”

Level 6

Since: Dec 11

And walk outa here!

#2910 Jan 18, 2013
When I was a kid my mom& I lived with my grandparents till I was almost 5 and my grandpa treated me like I was the only kid in the whole world. I was his first grandchild and I didn't have to share him with anybody. I remember spending most of my days by his side or in his arms, he took me everywhere he went and I was always the center of attention around all his friends... He was the most important man there ever was in my life.

Level 1

Since: Feb 10

Orlando, FL

#2911 Jan 18, 2013
liam cul8r wrote:
When I was a kid my mom& I lived with my grandparents till I was almost 5 and my grandpa treated me like I was the only kid in the whole world. I was his first grandchild and I didn't have to share him with anybody. I remember spending most of my days by his side or in his arms, he took me everywhere he went and I was always the center of attention around all his friends... He was the most important man there ever was in my life.
Kinda my story too. He taught me how to hunt, use a two man saw, and lots of other crafts. Wish he was here so I could say "thanks Grandpa"

“The who whating how...”

Level 6

"...with huh?"

#2912 Jan 18, 2013
honeymylove wrote:
<quoted text>I'm sorry...I miss mine as well.She passed when I was around 13.Would loved to known her better and our Indian hertiage.She was cherokee.Onced I saw her hair down and it was pass her behind.She was combing it.Placed her hair back into the 2 braids and wrapped them around her head.
My grandma was a hard working woman and at time I feel I'm like her in some ways.
Aren't Grandmas just lovely? Mine passed when I was 6, I never forgot my summers on her farm though, I was born and raised in the city. I read Cherokees are very peaceful and spiritual people, don't know much else other than what I've seen in movies though...
<3

Level 9

Since: Feb 12

New York, NY

#2913 Jan 18, 2013
When I was a kid,my old man would have kicked my ass if I stepped out of line...which for the most part( the times I never got bagged), I never did...
Cally Da Man

Mayfield, KY

#2914 Jan 19, 2013
Old Sam wrote:
<quoted text>I'm STILL doin' that. But when I was a kid, my Dad used a reel mower. We had a way smaller yard and St Augustine grass, so it worked out OK. But there is NO WAY I could cut my yard with one of those today....

And he refused to use the electric edger. He trimmed with a pair of hand clippers, while sitting on the ground.

I miss my Dad.
Me too ol buddy --me too .. RIp all Fathers.

“The who whating how...”

Level 6

"...with huh?"

#2915 Jan 19, 2013
When I was a kid I loved my bmx more than anything and my mum kept my hair short because I kept getting dirt in it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
CHANGE One letter CHANCE (Sep '08) 6 min vs givers 30,007
Change "1" letter =ONLY= (Oct '12) 7 min serves communion 4,246
I Like..... (Mar '14) 9 min Weird 0ne 2 494
Change 1 letter game! (Nov '11) 9 min 3 wheelers 2,967
Change-one-of-six-letters (Dec '12) 10 min Past tense of splash 3,991
Top Deal Breakers in Relationships (Feb '13) 11 min stray-cat 964
6 letter word ...change one letter game (Oct '08) 13 min Flannel 26,697
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 20 min SobieskiSavedEurope 132,970
Let's Play Song Titles With One Word? 25 min Suezanne 349
Word Association 2 (Sep '13) 30 min Madison Rose 7,619