When I was a kid.....

Level 5

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#2814 Jul 31, 2012
reza june wrote:
<quoted text>
Gail I was being facetious, you seem not to recognise the humour in my comment - it wasn't meant to be serious.
Please forgive me. It was Manic Monday = super stressful. Phones ringing off the hook.

Have a wonderful Tuesday, reza june.:-)

“Pardon my nosiness ”

Level 7

Since: May 07

London, England

#2815 Jul 31, 2012
Gail Snail wrote:
<quoted text>
Please forgive me. It was Manic Monday = super stressful. Phones ringing off the hook.
Have a wonderful Tuesday, reza june.:-)
No prob. Gail! We're still friends:)

“Happy, warm and comfortable”

Level 1

Since: Oct 10

Mountain retreat, SE Spain

#2816 Aug 1, 2012
When I was a kid, not everyone had an electicity supply and it was only used for lighting.
Mona

Fleetwood, PA

#2817 Aug 1, 2012
I had a pet rock found at camp.

I remember my 1st poisen ivy experience there, age 7. My toes were bubbly and scratchy and i didn't know what it was. The camp nurse gave me cream to rub on them, said it was just poison ivy. I was so relieved.
Mona

Fleetwood, PA

#2818 Aug 1, 2012
Gail Snail wrote:
<quoted text>
I never said chewing gum replaced dentist visits. The penny gum dispensers were on NYC subway platforms. You had to be there.
I never cared for Jaw Breakers.
I never liked Jaw breakers either. Penny candy yes. Always filled a small brown bag after school with a nice assortment of stuff at the ma and pa store.

“Pardon my nosiness ”

Level 7

London, England

#2819 Aug 1, 2012
Mona wrote:
I had a pet rock found at camp.
I remember my 1st poisen ivy experience there, age 7. My toes were bubbly and scratchy and i didn't know what it was. The camp nurse gave me cream to rub on them, said it was just poison ivy. I was so relieved.
I'm one of the lucky 20%, that can roll around in poison ivy without being affected, in fact I have ripped it out of the ground by it's roots with bear hands, or is it bare hands, or both!

“Pardon my nosiness ”

Level 7

London, England

#2820 Aug 1, 2012
Earthling-1 wrote:
When I was a kid, not everyone had an electicity supply and it was only used for lighting.
.....and that was probably by a 40W incandescent bulb.
But didn't you have a wireless or some other new contraption powered by electricity?

Level 9

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#2821 Aug 1, 2012
I went to a four room school house where all 8 grades were taught. One room was the gym and music room.

“Pardon my nosiness ”

Level 7

London, England

#2822 Aug 1, 2012
quilterqueen wrote:
I went to a four room school house where all 8 grades were taught. One room was the gym and music room.
My primary education was at a red brick Catholic school in Woolwich,
I still remember the interior decor, it was institutional green on the exposed brickwork, and glorious concrete everywhere else.

My highlight of the day was watching the girls at their P.E. exercising in navy blue knickers.
The downside was being sent to the the Headmaster's office for 'six of the best', however they did give you a choice of either across the backside or at the very end of your fingertips where it hurts the most.
I actually think it was a precondition for the job of headmaster, that he takes an advanced course in leaping as high as possible with canes of varying lengths.

“Happy, warm and comfortable”

Level 1

Since: Oct 10

Mountain retreat, SE Spain

#2823 Aug 1, 2012
reza june wrote:
I'm one of the lucky 20%, that can roll around in poison ivy without being affected, in fact I have ripped it out of the ground by it's roots with bear hands, or is it bare hands, or both!
Bare hands, unless you have bear's claws.
reza june wrote:
....and that was probably by a 40W incandescent bulb.
But didn't you have a wireless or some other new contraption powered by electricity?
The wireless was initially powered by a wet cell batteries, called accumulators.
The gramophone remained a wind-up machine, with regular needle changes.

“Pardon my nosiness ”

Level 7

London, England

#2824 Aug 2, 2012
Earthling-1 wrote:
<quoted text>Bare hands, unless you have bear's claws.<quoted text>The wireless was initially powered by a wet cell batteries, called accumulators.
The gramophone remained a wind-up machine, with regular needle changes.
I remember those old gramophones. Not only was I not allowed to touch it, but wasn't even allowed to be in the same room with it. Things somehow mysteriously broke whenever I was around lol.
I once recall as a young child of around eight years of age, seeing the wet cell battery you refer to, on a visit to my step-mum's parents farm in Co Mayo, Ireland.
Electricity, in those days, hadn't reached them. The lighting in the main room of the house (the kitchen) was by a large paraffin lantern suspended from the middle of ceiling by fine chains that raised or lowered it - for the rest of the house you had to carry a tin candle-holder.
But they did have a Wireless hooked up to that wet cell battery you described.
There was no indoor plumbing either, which I suspect made life as we know it today a little difficult to say the least. Water was brought to the house in a white pail from a shallow spring in a ditch down by the road.

In many ways technology, and modern-day infrastructure has certainly improved the quality of our lives, on the other hand it's also made us lazy, and some would say unsocial where we have our conversations and social interaction through entities like Face Book - and dare I say TOPIX.
Mona

Fleetwood, PA

#2825 Aug 2, 2012
reza june wrote:
<quoted text>
You are lucky, that is great for any yard work needed. I can breath it and get poison.

“Pardon my nosiness ”

Level 7

London, England

#2826 Aug 2, 2012
Mona wrote:
<quoted text>
You are lucky, that is great for any yard work needed. I can breath it and get poison.
Yes I've also heard that even the smoke from burning old dead poison ivy can affect some people.
However I've also read that even though I'm one of the 20%, it's still possible that I could, at some latter point in life, lose that immunity.
I hasn't happened yet!

Level 9

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#2827 Aug 2, 2012
...there was no plastic.

“Pardon my nosiness ”

Level 7

London, England

#2828 Aug 2, 2012
quilterqueen wrote:
...there was no plastic.
You are correct, however there was something called bakerlite a sort of precursor to plastic that was used a lot in radio casings, but it was also very breakable.

“We're all Bozos on this bus”

Since: Jan 07

South Bend, IN

#2829 Aug 2, 2012
reza june wrote:
<quoted text>
You are correct, however there was something called bakerlite a sort of precursor to plastic that was used a lot in radio casings, but it was also very breakable.
Bakelite (/&#712;be&#618;k& #616;la&#618;t/ US dict: b&#257;k&#8242;(&# 601;)l&#299;t), or polyoxybenzylmethylenglycolanh ydride, is an early plastic. It is a thermosetting phenol formaldehyde resin, formed from an elimination reaction of phenol with formaldehyde. It was developed by Belgian born chemist Leo Baekeland in New York in 1907.

One of the first plastics made from synthetic components, Bakelite was used for its electrical nonconductivity and heat-resistant properties in electrical insulators, radio and telephone casings, and such diverse products as kitchenware, jewelry, pipe stems, and children's toys. In 1993 Bakelite was designated a National Historic Chemical Landmark by the American Chemical Society in recognition of its significance as the world's first synthetic plastic.[1]

The "retro" appeal of old Bakelite products and labor intensive manufacturing has made them collectible in recent years. Bakelite and Bakelit are registered trademarks of Momentive Specialty Chemicals.
-----

It has the peculiar characteristic of producing a rather unpleasant but fortunately mild odor when wet, too.

“Pardon my nosiness ”

Level 7

London, England

#2830 Aug 2, 2012
Uh Clem wrote:
<quoted text>
Bakelite (/&#712;be&#618;k& #616;la&#618;t/ US dict: b&#257;k&#8242;(&# 601;)l&#299;t), or polyoxybenzylmethylenglycolanh ydride, is an early plastic. It is a thermosetting phenol formaldehyde resin, formed from an elimination reaction of phenol with formaldehyde. It was developed by Belgian born chemist Leo Baekeland in New York in 1907.
One of the first plastics made from synthetic components, Bakelite was used for its electrical nonconductivity and heat-resistant properties in electrical insulators, radio and telephone casings, and such diverse products as kitchenware, jewelry, pipe stems, and children's toys. In 1993 Bakelite was designated a National Historic Chemical Landmark by the American Chemical Society in recognition of its significance as the world's first synthetic plastic.[1]
The "retro" appeal of old Bakelite products and labor intensive manufacturing has made them collectible in recent years. Bakelite and Bakelit are registered trademarks of Momentive Specialty Chemicals.
-----
It has the peculiar characteristic of producing a rather unpleasant but fortunately mild odor when wet, too.
Thanks for that Clem - very informative. I didn't realise that Bakelite emitted an odor when wet.
My wife tells me that, in her early childhood, she played with dolls made of some hard resin based material that came in different colours, but had the same characteristics (eg breakable)as Bakelite
Go Blue

Miami, FL

#2831 Aug 3, 2012
Bakelite jewelry is a popular item at antique shows....

“Pardon my nosiness ”

Level 7

London, England

#2832 Aug 3, 2012
Go Blue wrote:
Bakelite jewelry is a popular item at antique shows....
Is Bakelite still produced or is retro Bakelite jewelry made from recycled old Bakelite?

“Wife and new born”

Level 2

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

#2833 Aug 3, 2012
“When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.”

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Change "1" letter =ONLY= (Oct '12) 2 min Old Sam 8,405
CHANGE One letter CHANCE (Sep '08) 3 min Old Sam 34,988
***Keep a Word~Drop a Word*** (Jan '10) 3 min Old Sam 82,147
Keep a Word.....Drop a Word Game (Sep '13) 4 min Old Sam 11,547
Last two letters into two new words... (Jun '15) 4 min Old Sam 3,236
Just start naming actors and actresses (Sep '11) 5 min Old Sam 5,233
*add A word / drop a word* (Nov '12) 6 min Princess Hey 13,127
Crystal_Clears Kitchen (Refurbished) 10 min Dr Lemming Ashclo... 7,388
Last Post Wins! (Aug '08) 18 min SweLL GirL 145,488
2words into 2new words (May '12) 42 min Princess Hey 2,335