“ROCK ON ROCKERS!!”

Level 8

Since: Mar 11

Rockin' USA ;)

#24675 Jan 4, 2013
II'S FRIDAY NIGHT!!! Where's the PARTY...Chicks and Dudes???
Anonymous

Brisbane, Australia

#24676 Jan 5, 2013
At once intimate and detached, passionate and calculated, love letters have been for centuries a key weapon in the arsenal of lovers.

In The Seducer’s Diary, Soren Kierkegaard draws a distinction between the ‘living word’ of speech and the ‘dead word’ of a letter, arguing that both are vital in creating the perfect romance. In a letter, he writes, one can throw oneself at a woman’s feet without shame, while in real life such an act would only provoke laughter.

Moreover, the distance of a letter allows the idealization of the lover to remain intact: love letters are free of the physical imperfections that can break the spell in a face-to-face conversation. A love letter can be folded and kept in a breast pocket or treasured in a hidden drawer. It provides tangible, enduring evidence of an often all-too-fleeting emotion.

Today, unless I am dating entirely the wrong kind of girl, the art of the love letter has fallen into disuse. It seems anachronistic – why take the time to write on paper how you feel when it takes mere seconds to call up the object of your affections? For those who find it difficult to open up in person, instant messaging and email are electronic alternatives.

But in the service of convenience lovers have sacrificed so much of what makes romance beautiful: the anxiety of waiting, the authenticity of personal communication and above all the aesthetic impact of an actual letter.

Restricting written declarations of love to an electronic medium means that they are read by the dead light of a screen, in the same font and in the same place that your lover deals with the most mundane daily tasks. There is something romantically unsatisfying about a heartfelt email; the term itself seems contradictory.

How much more beautiful would the same words be on actual paper, dappled with shadow from an overhanging tree, or read by torchlight underneath a blanket?

This is not to say that technology can offer nothing to romance. Electronic messages provide useful shades between Kierkegaard’s ‘living’ and ‘dead’ forms of communication. Instant messaging is as immediate as speech yet as detached as a letter. Emails, like letters, can be composed with care, and unlike letters they are convenient for casual conversations.

However, consider that the object of your affections might appreciate a physical letter from time to time. I know I do.

~DeVine.

Level 9

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#24677 Jan 5, 2013
Where is Bones?

Level 9

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#24678 Jan 5, 2013
Went out for dinner and they burned the food.I could had hubby do that.
Sweetie-Pie

Hollywood, FL

#24679 Jan 5, 2013
Brigitte and Rosa left Offbeat at the same time

Another One Bites The Dust

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

TopMod21 wrote:
<quoted text>

Why do you even use Topix? I can't for the life of me understand that. It's obvious you're not happy here.

TM 21

Sweetie-Pie wrote:

You're a dumbazz and ask dumbazz questions.

Report this post

Wildbluerose wrote:
<quotedtext>

Geeeeee and no one even missed them....
Wonder why?
@}-'--,---

Sweetie-Pie wrote:

You, too, are a dumbazz and ask dumbazz questions.

Report this post
Level 8

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#24680 Jan 5, 2013

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

justaguess wrote:
<quotedtext>

Yoda says..."Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering. I sense much fear in you."

:::

You are pathetic

Get better Soon

~Pie

“New & Improved..”

Level 8

Since: Oct 07

Formerly From Kenya

#24681 Jan 5, 2013
Wow...someone is having an obsessive moment...

perhaps another quote would help...ya know...anything to ease the pain..

Yoda says..."So certain are you. Always with you what cannot be done. Hear you nothing that I say?"

Level 6

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#24682 Jan 5, 2013
Wishing we had some ice cream in the freezer.

“Gone in 16 seconds”

Level 6

Since: Nov 10

Santa Barbara, CA

#24683 Jan 5, 2013
Hello HML...
I didn't bite the dust. New name and live in a new house. Hope you had a kickass start to the new year

“Gone in 16 seconds”

Level 6

Since: Nov 10

Santa Barbara, CA

#24684 Jan 5, 2013
Coming home after traveling overseas makes me appreciate what i have just that little bit more.
Donzie

Hopkinsville, KY

#24685 Jan 6, 2013
This is my first time posting on here. Let me say I feel a little .....shy

“Colleges Search Engine ”

Level 8

Since: Mar 12

www.schoolanduniversity.com

#24686 Jan 6, 2013
I am waiting for proping.

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#24687 Jan 6, 2013
Donzie wrote:
Don't be shy. Sign up, sign in, and sign on. If you don't like it after a couple of months you can always leave. No harm, no foul, eh?

Level 8

Location hidden

#24688 Jan 6, 2013
While reading about the guy who got a hand transplant, I suddenly realized that something didn't add up. After doing a little bit of simple math I finally figured it out.

Someone is still missing a hand.

Level 8

Location hidden

#24689 Jan 6, 2013
Before I started doing it, it was called "amateurbating."

Think about it.........

“Have A Blessed & Happy”

Level 9

Since: Mar 12

<3 Easter <3

#24690 Jan 6, 2013
whats the new year hold for you.try and make it the best you have ever had..

Level 8

Location hidden

#24691 Jan 6, 2013
I don't know what the New Year has in store. I only know that having the TV volume on an odd number is wrong.

Level 6

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#24692 Jan 6, 2013
Donzie wrote:
Hi Donzie!
Just as Hoof said, jump on in.

To make things easier for ya, try and remember that this part of TOPIX is called Off Beat for a reason.

Though there are heated debates on some subjects,
most anything is up for ridicule or LOL.

Dark humor, sarcasm , and hair pulling is the norm.
It's a trolls paradise;
but also a great medium for finding like minded good pals and dear friends.
;-)
Welcome to the far side.

There is nothing wrong with your computer. Do not attempt to adjust the picture. We are controlling transmission. If we wish to make it louder, we will bring up the volume. If we wish to make it softer, we will tune it to a whisper. We will control the horizontal. We will control the vertical. We can roll the image, make it flutter. We can change the focus to a soft blur or sharpen it to crystal clarity. For the next hour, sit quietly and we will control all that you see and hear. We repeat: there is nothing wrong with your computer. You are about to participate in a great adventure. You are about to experience the awe and mystery which reaches from the inner mind to — The Off Beat Threads.
[ The above text was blatantly plagiarized from the intro to The Outer Limits TV show intro.]

Level 6

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#24693 Jan 6, 2013
Good morning to my mean old iconner fan.
I still love you too.
;-D
Queen - These Are The Days Of Our Lives http://youtu.be/eWMqyzvfU_Q

Level 2

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#24694 Jan 6, 2013
ikryptoniter wrote:
Law of Mechanical Repair: After your hands become coated with grease your nose will begin to itch or you'll have to
pee.
Yes on both accounts!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 20 min I Am No One_ 159,914
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 25 min HTN640509-040147 154,939
Favorite Oldies Songs (Jun '10) 34 min I Am No One_ 18,760
last word/first word. (Apr '12) 2 hr Tonk 101 5,677
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 2 hr Wolftracks 39,995
Let's Play Songs Titled with Two Words ... 2 hr wichita-rick 611
Word Association (Jun '10) 2 hr wichita-rick 26,982
Poll Can single Men be friends with Married Women? (Jun '12) 4 hr Beautiful Black M... 200
Last Post Wins! (Aug '08) 5 hr honeymylove 139,790
More from around the web