Waitress fired for posting 'God' note

Waitress fired for posting 'God' note

There are 71 comments on the WIVB-TV Buffalo story from Feb 1, 2013, titled Waitress fired for posting 'God' note. In it, WIVB-TV Buffalo reports that:

The note at the top of a restaurant receipt reads simply, "I give God 10%, why do you get 18?" The scribbled comment left at a St.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WIVB-TV Buffalo.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Level 8

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

#1 Feb 1, 2013
I know tips in America are a big thing.... here I am the same as a waitress... and I don't get any tips at all....

Level 6

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#2 Feb 1, 2013
stacked and proud wrote:
I know tips in America are a big thing.... here I am the same as a waitress... and I don't get any tips at all....
True story:

We went to England years ago and stayed at some half star hotel that included an 'American' style breakfast which, as it turned out, was a hard roll and coffee. Not a big deal because we weren't staying there for the food anyhow.

However, the second morning we noted that the angry, aggressive waiter would bring out, without being asked, huge fresh croissants, jams and what not to other tables. Later we asked the folks at one of those tables about it.

They laughed and said that you had to TIP the waiter a little something as you came in and that he hid all the good stuff UNDER the table our hard rolls were on. And, sure enough, for the cost of a few clinky metal coins y'all are so fond of, we suddenly became one of his favorites, too!

Level 7

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#4 Feb 1, 2013
I hope GOD is proud of this godly person... who inadvertantly cost someone their job..
the snarky comment was not christain appropriate..and stinks of what a mockery christains are making of their faith..

on the privacy side.. folks beware,,, Social sites are going under the microscope ,,,Stuff you post CAN and WILL cost you your job, can put you in lawsuits etc... use your heads....

“Dorks traveling profile!”

Level 3

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#5 Feb 1, 2013
She could have just found out what Church he was a Pastor at and sat there until they passed around the tithing plate then put the same kind of note in it.

Spotted Girl

“The Spotted Girl News Network”

Level 8

Since: Apr 09

Spotted World

#6 Feb 1, 2013
I don't think she should have been fired for photographing the receipt and posting it online. However, if I had done it, I'd blur out the identifying details.

“Crude, Rude, and Lewd!”

Level 7

Since: Jun 08

Sayonara Falls.

#7 Feb 1, 2013
That's because waiters and waitresses in the U.S. don't even get paid minimum wage. They must make up their wages through tips. Most get the base rate of $2.75 per hour and don't get even work full time...try living on that.

“....VETS”

Level 9

Since: Jan 08

WELCOME HOME

#8 Feb 1, 2013
did you all ever think of the opposite , maybe her service sucked

Spotted Girl

“The Spotted Girl News Network”

Level 8

Since: Apr 09

Spotted World

#9 Feb 1, 2013
tallyho wrote:
did you all ever think of the opposite , maybe her service sucked
I didn't read anything about her working the oldest profession...

“....VETS”

Level 9

Since: Jan 08

WELCOME HOME

#10 Feb 1, 2013
Spotted Girl wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't read anything about her working the oldest profession...
exactly they don't charge by the %...
Level 6

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#11 Feb 1, 2013
The auto gratuity was added to the bill by the cash register for party's of 8 or more.

The sermonizer was there with a party of 12.

The waitress who was fired was not the one who waited on the party of twelve gluttonous hypocrites and got stiffed after an hours hard work.

The one who was fired only posted a picture of what she couldn't believe a civilized person in this day and age would do to her fellow employee.

I agree with Spotted Girl, she should have marked out the personal inf.

Of course I doubt she expected it to go viral.

Or that the nasty person who wrote it would have the unmitigated gall to admit publicly who and what kind of ignorant pigs they really were.

Bad publicity for Applebee's right behind the good of comping the pregnant lady's meal.

The world has gone mad.
Rosa

Opelousas, LA

#12 Feb 1, 2013
...god loves all people...even skanks like barfie...at least that's what the scriptures read...I think...
Level 6

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#13 Feb 1, 2013
Rosa wrote:
...god loves all people...even skanks like barfie...at least that's what the scriptures read...I think...
Yeah and after looking at the lifestyles and wardrobes of most church leaders, I'd say He pays damn good too.

Level 2

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#14 Feb 1, 2013
What a stupid story. A "Pastor" wrote that? Just how many drinks did they HAVE? Of course that would offend the server. This "Christian" was not thinking or acting like one. Server:1 Christian:0
Way to go religious leader.

Level 1

Since: Mar 08

United States

#15 Feb 1, 2013
The waitress that posted the picture deserves being canned! She violated two different policies of her employee and since info on that specific customer was posted online, she exposed this customer to insults and threats from a lot of people who don't have any better sense!
Rambler

United States

#16 Feb 1, 2013
Rosa wrote:
...god loves all people...even skanks like barfie...at least that's what the scriptures read...I think...
And he just 'Loves' people like you who steal out of the pockets of the dead hey Rosa?

“....VETS”

Level 9

Since: Jan 08

WELCOME HOME

#17 Feb 1, 2013
who don't have any
Donkey Estonkey

Hampton, VA

#18 Feb 1, 2013
Democrats are idiots wrote:
She deserved to get fired. Good riddance. On a side note...A gratuity should be 100% voluntary or it isn't a gratutity ...ITS A FEE !!!
Pls re read, or just plain old read, the story.
It won't make you smarter, but will, less ignorant.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#19 Feb 2, 2013
I used to wait years ago and there is a reason that good restaurants add a set tip for groups. Groups tend to be cheap. People who tip properly when they eat by themselves tend not to tip as much as part of a group. So to protect their workers, who are working on an indirect commission usually, for groups they are paid a direct commission. The work for a group is not less than the work for several tables. In fact you have to work harder to get everything out in a timely manner.

Now there was no evidence of poor service in the article, just a snarky statement from someone who is supposedly a pastor. If this pastor wanted to get Biblical he should have remembered that a worker is worth his wage, in other words don't stint on paying your workers.

I do agree that the waitress that posted the private information should have been fired. There was no excuse for her behavior. Meanwhile, the pastor deserves every bit of derision that he or she gets for the comment that was written on the bill and the waitress that served them should be apologized to.

“....VETS”

Level 9

Since: Jan 08

WELCOME HOME

#20 Feb 2, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
I used to wait years ago and there is a reason that good restaurants add a set tip for groups. Groups tend to be cheap. People who tip properly when they eat by themselves tend not to tip as much as part of a group. So to protect their workers, who are working on an indirect commission usually, for groups they are paid a direct commission. The work for a group is not less than the work for several tables. In fact you have to work harder to get everything out in a timely manner.
Now there was no evidence of poor service in the article, just a snarky statement from someone who is supposedly a pastor. If this pastor wanted to get Biblical he should have remembered that a worker is worth his wage, in other words don't stint on paying your workers.
I do agree that the waitress that posted the private information should have been fired. There was no excuse for her behavior. Meanwhile, the pastor deserves every bit of derision that he or she gets for the comment that was written on the bill and the waitress that served them should be apologized to.
1st amendment .......

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#21 Feb 2, 2013
tallyho wrote:
<quoted text>
1st amendment .......
The First Amendment means that the government cannot restrict what you say. It does not give you protection from the consequences of what you say.

When you have a job you can be fired for what you say if it does not live up to the companies image. Try suing the company for firing you if you violate such a policy. You will be laughed out of court.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Denny Crain's Place (May '10) 5 min When Mueller Is Done 27,483
Woman appreciate a man that.........? (Mar '15) 19 min I Am Enzo - The B... 233
News President Trump visits Huntsville in support of... 26 min Observation 19
Phrases that you don't hear very often (Nov '11) 36 min The Dishwasher 784
Things that make life eaiser... (Apr '15) 56 min I Am Enzo - The B... 978
Name something that gets past around (Feb '14) 57 min I Am Enzo - The B... 891
Write cities alfabetically (tell the country/st... (Sep '11) 1 hr rainmaker2016 2,871
Poll What are you thinking right now? (May '08) 1 hr I Am Enzo - The B... 6,073
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 1 hr Finny 223,414
More from around the web