Tennessee brings back electric chair

May 23, 2014 Full story: The Kansas City Star 142

Dignitaries, downtown residents and business executives gathered Thursday just south of Main Street and Truman Road for the official groundbreaking of the downtown streetcar starter route.

Full Story

“Denny Crain”

Level 8

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#85 May 25, 2014
xxxooxxx wrote:
Maybe they should have different methods of execution that would be suitable to the crime deliberated by the jury, since some crimes are more extreme that others...that would put a whole new twist on things...
It is about time they brought back the chair. We never should have loaned it to them :) Why not wheel of fortune for death method?

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#87 May 25, 2014
Denny CranesPlace wrote:
<quoted text>It is about time they brought back the chair. We never should have loaned it to them :) Why not wheel of fortune for death method?
I think that would fall under cruel and unusual punishment ...(lol)

“The Spotted Girl News Network”

Level 8

Since: Apr 09

Spotted World

#88 May 25, 2014
Denny CranesPlace wrote:
<quoted text>It is about time they brought back the chair. We never should have loaned it to them :) Why not wheel of fortune for death method?
Or put them on Jeopardy and give them tough questions that will make their brain explode. But if it doesn't work, you won't be allowed to bring them back to the show to try again (that would be double Jeopardy).
Ex Sen Rick Stillborn

Philadelphia, PA

#89 May 25, 2014
Independent wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you truly this moronic?
What is the sample size, in numbers?
Your claiming it to be small means nothing.
It is an unsupported opinion at this point.
How many times will you evade the question and opt for personal attacks instead?
Your lack of mentality shows when you attack as opposed to converse or debate.
"Your lack of mentality shows...."

Jethro, that is not making sense. Had you said, "Your lack of intelligence shows," then you might have at least constructed the sentence of an educated person.

You won't be able to grasp this, but your demand for "numbers" implies you think the Innocence Project has examined every death penalty case in the history of the US.

They have not. They looked at a small subset relative to that universe of cases.

The _percentage_ of errors they have found in a supposedly double and triple checked process of death penalty cases is alarming to anyone not consumed by right wing, inchoate bloodlust.

Level 6

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#90 May 25, 2014
Kinda morbid
their plans to use the same plug
to run the new streetcars.
:/
"Dignitaries, downtown residents and business executives gathered Thursday just south of Main Street and Truman Road for the official groundbreaking of the downtown streetcar starter route."

I wonder if this will happen when they use the chair?
http://youtu.be/t2VrrLUoBEA
Question

United States

#91 May 25, 2014
Though many on here are only attempting to get a rise out of others, their making lite of the fact that people are convicted, sentenced and put in prison for life and in some cases, given the death penalty, shows the problem in this country.
The "excuse" of "The law isn't perfect. Sometimes innocent people get hurt." Is their way of not dealing with the fact that they want blood. Civilized societies have figured out that humans aren't perfect. They accept that the innocent are sometimes wrongly accused and convicted. They also realize that once a sentence of death is carried out, there is no chance to right the wrong that was imposed on an innocent person. This doesn't seem to be the case in the U.S. This nation seems to want blood. Even if innocent people have to die to get it.

Level 6

Location hidden

#92 May 25, 2014
Question wrote:
Though many on here are only attempting to get a rise out of others, their making lite of the fact that people are convicted, sentenced and put in prison for life and in some cases, given the death penalty, shows the problem in this country.
The "excuse" of "The law isn't perfect. Sometimes innocent people get hurt." Is their way of not dealing with the fact that they want blood. Civilized societies have figured out that humans aren't perfect. They accept that the innocent are sometimes wrongly accused and convicted. They also realize that once a sentence of death is carried out, there is no chance to right the wrong that was imposed on an innocent person. This doesn't seem to be the case in the U.S. This nation seems to want blood. Even if innocent people have to die to get it.
Bless your heart.
Here's a band-aid and a dollar, go buy a ice cream.
;-)
<3
Question

United States

#93 May 25, 2014
TenderTink wrote:
<quoted text>
Bless your heart.
;-)
<3
I rest my case.

“Right click Left click Yay!”

Level 7

Since: Dec 10

Nehwon

#94 May 25, 2014
Spotted Girl wrote:
Guillotines and ropes are "green." Both are gravity power, and the devices are reusable.
As a morbid bit of curiosity. Gallows-making was an art. It required balancing things just right to make sure that just the right force was applied to the rope when they dropped. Too much force means their head is ripped off, and not enough means they suffer a long strangulation. So the force has to break the neck but not sever the head.
Well, we should hold to tradition.

Guillotines is used for the aristocracy. Ya know, kings, queens, dukes, CEO's, CFO's, etc. To use one on a commoner... why that is just.... just... Jeeves, be a dear and fetch my fainting couch.

And the noose is traditionally for cattle rustlers, vigilante justice and jaywalking litterbugs.

You'd think with all our technological progress we could come up with a better death penalty.

Personally, I like the idea of a space shuttle guiding a small meteorite to the condemned out in the desert.

Now I'm not a monster - the condemned will be given a baseball glove.
Ex Sen Rick Stillborn

Philadelphia, PA

#95 May 25, 2014
TenderTink wrote:
<quoted text>
But you don't "believe in" paper money issued by the Fed on behalf of the government.

You should have offered to share some of the tree bark your family dines on nightly now that you've rejected American society.
Ex Sen Rick Stillborn

Philadelphia, PA

#96 May 25, 2014
greymouser wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, we should hold to tradition.
Guillotines is used for the aristocracy. Ya know, kings, queens, dukes, CEO's, CFO's, etc. To use one on a commoner... why that is just.... just... Jeeves, be a dear and fetch my fainting couch.
And the noose is traditionally for cattle rustlers, vigilante justice and jaywalking litterbugs.
You'd think with all our technological progress we could come up with a better death penalty.
Personally, I like the idea of a space shuttle guiding a small meteorite to the condemned out in the desert.
Now I'm not a monster - the condemned will be given a baseball glove.
You forgot about the air driven cattle bolt guns as in "No Country for Old Men."

Why, are you prejudiced against old men or something?

“Right click Left click Yay!”

Level 7

Since: Dec 10

Nehwon

#97 May 25, 2014
Ex Sen Rick Stillborn wrote:
<quoted text>
You forgot about the air driven cattle bolt guns as in "No Country for Old Men."
Why, are you prejudiced against old men or something?
Nah.

Just prejudiced against carrying around a big, heavy canister of compressed air.

If your victim takes off running, you ain't gonna run after them with that.
Ex Sen Rick Stillborn

Philadelphia, PA

#98 May 25, 2014
greymouser wrote:
<quoted text>
Nah.
Just prejudiced against carrying around a big, heavy canister of compressed air.
If your victim takes off running, you ain't gonna run after them with that.
Well, apparently you lack running shoes, muscle mass and commitment.

But we were discussing people remanded for execution, weren't we? They'll be safe and sound on the justice delivery gurney.

Level 6

Location hidden

#99 May 25, 2014
Ex Sen Rick Stillborn wrote:
<quoted text>
But you don't "believe in" paper money issued by the Fed on behalf of the government.
You should have offered to share some of the tree bark your family dines on nightly now that you've rejected American society.
LOL!
You have no idea, darlin'.
No idea at all.
But keep guessing instead of asking
and sooner or later you might
just win that bingo.
;D
STD free

United States

#100 May 25, 2014
Bring back the guillotine. That would probably be a huge deterrent!!!

Level 6

Location hidden

#101 May 25, 2014
STD free wrote:
Bring back the guillotine. That would probably be a huge deterrent!!!
As horrifying as decapitation is to my own sensibilities, that makes a strong case for it.
Allowing one to slip this mortal coil with a gentle sleep seems inherently unfair to their victims.

I'm kinda on the same mind as Spotted girl.
The punishment should match the crime.

Now how to accomplish that would be for greater minds than my own to figure out.

Perhaps a killing pool could be drawn up for volunteers.
The family and friends of the victims get first dibs.
An appropriate punishment would be decided on by vote, and the executioner also.

By any means, I do not see free room, board, and top notch medical care as a punishment.
STD free

United States

#102 May 25, 2014
TenderTink wrote:
<quoted text>As horrifying as decapitation is to my own sensibilities, that makes a strong case for it.
Allowing one to slip this mortal coil with a gentle sleep seems inherently unfair to their victims.

Now how to accomplish that would be for greater minds than my own to figure out.

An appropriate punishment would be decided on by vote, and the executioner also.

By any means, I do not see free room, board, and top notch medical care as a punishment.
Maybe even hire a drunk axeman!!! "Oops sorry missed that was just the left ear"!!!!

“The Spotted Girl News Network”

Level 8

Since: Apr 09

Spotted World

#103 May 26, 2014
TenderTink wrote:
<quoted text>
As horrifying as decapitation is to my own sensibilities, that makes a strong case for it.
There should be a range of tools available for judges to use. What is bad is when judges are boxed-in by the DA. For instance, 2 men killed a transsexual woman. They DA only pressed for simple assault. What could the judge do but give them 6 months for murder? The judge told them they should kiss the ground they walk on and bow before whatever deity they worship, since he was not in the habit of giving 6 month murder sentences.

Of course, prevention may go a long way. Judges should have plenty of tools available for dealing with small problems before they become big ones. A guy told the judge he couldn't help stealing, that it was a disease, so the judge gave him 4 months and mandatory psychiatric treatment.

I find the "open prison" concept of India to be fascinating. To qualify for open prison, you have to meet certain criteria. If you are a terrorist, sex criminal, serial offender, or cop killer, you would not qualify. And you would have to do a certain amount of time in a traditional prison, such as maybe 2 years. Then you go to the open prison where you can leave after a certain time in the day and return after a certain time. So they find jobs, pursue relationships, etc., and return by curfew. Since they already have so much freedom, and since they were in big prison already, they don't want to ruin it, so escape is almost nonexistent. It costs less than traditional prison, and the inmates have to pay so much toward the operating expenses. Some of the people at the open prisons are indeed killers, and one such man in the documentary I watched was teaching school. Yes, society is a bit more open there than here. I imagine most of the killers in the open prisons acted out of passion or were guilty of manslaughter.

Back to your post, the pool idea sounds interesting, but I see a potential problem. What if a one gangster scumbag kills another gangster scumbag? So the pool of friends will be other gangsters, some of whom also killed.

And I imagine some do choose prison for the "amenities." A homeless person is typically sick and begging for food, so if someone is that bad, going to prison would be a step up. So it might be better to house them before they go to prison. I watched Sicko. Michael Moore tried to take a group to Guantanamo Bay for medical care, figuring if they take care of terrorists, they might as well take care of them. They were ran off, but being that far out, they decided to sneak into Cuba for medical care, and for just a few dollars, they all got it. The one bought several $80 inhalers for maybe $2 each.

While I am all over the place, it is society's attitudes that drive some to crime. One man molested a relative and was wanted. He wanted to make sure he wasn't housed in general population when he was caught, so he picked out a random family and murdered them, since then he would get death row and not be housed with the other prisoners.
wondering

Oxford, MS

#104 May 26, 2014
Always Wary wrote:
<quoted text>I think that was Christians in name only was talking about. You can't give someone anesthetic unless you are a medical professional and medical professionals don't kill people, intentionally anyway.
Wait just a minute,medical professionals do kill people intentionally.They kill unborn babies all the time ,over 50 million after Roe V Wade.

“Denny Crain”

Level 8

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#105 May 26, 2014
TenderTink wrote:
<quoted text>
There was an English ax man who was a Butcher,a drunk and an executioner. On one job he proved all three as it took him three blows to sever the head :)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
"man" words 7 min andet1987 551
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 7 min wichita-rick 158,114
3 Word Advice (Good or Bad) 14 min andet1987 973
3 Word Sentence (each word, one syllable only) 21 min andet1987 240
A To Z Of Movies (Sep '12) 24 min Princess Hey 4,441
Add 2 Letters to Complete a Word 25 min andet1987 253
4 Word Game (Use Same Letter) 31 min andet1987 506
6 letter word ...change one letter game (Oct '08) 35 min andet1987 27,600
Rest in Peace, Spock 1 hr Super Ego Rob Lowe 342
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 1 hr Radical Miracle 39,445