Tennessee brings back electric chair

Tennessee brings back electric chair

There are 142 comments on the The Kansas City Star story from May 23, 2014, titled Tennessee brings back electric chair. In it, The Kansas City Star reports that:

Dignitaries, downtown residents and business executives gathered Thursday just south of Main Street and Truman Road for the official groundbreaking of the downtown streetcar starter route.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Kansas City Star.

“New & Improved..”

Level 8

Since: Oct 07

Formerly From Kenya

#64 May 24, 2014
greymouser wrote:
Will that electric chair be powered by renewable energy like hydroelectric, nuclear, wind, solar, etc?
lol...yeah, it would take a lifetime to die...
Ted Haggard s Gospel Rub

Philadelphia, PA

#65 May 24, 2014
justaguess wrote:
<quoted text>
lol...yeah, it would take a lifetime to die...
Your joke doesn't make sense, but since when you hate nuclear energy? That's just as likely how some of those electric chairs are powered.

You've reached a new level of short circuits in your aging grid.

“The Spotted Girl News Network”

Level 8

Since: Apr 09

Spotted World

#66 May 24, 2014
Guillotines and ropes are "green." Both are gravity power, and the devices are reusable.

As a morbid bit of curiosity. Gallows-making was an art. It required balancing things just right to make sure that just the right force was applied to the rope when they dropped. Too much force means their head is ripped off, and not enough means they suffer a long strangulation. So the force has to break the neck but not sever the head.

“New & Improved..”

Level 8

Formerly From Kenya

#67 May 24, 2014
Ted Haggard s Gospel Rub wrote:
<quoted text>
Your joke doesn't make sense, but since when you hate nuclear energy? That's just as likely how some of those electric chairs are powered.
You've reached a new level of short circuits in your aging grid.
LOL...you sound like the part of the movie intermission where they sing "Let's all go down to the lobby-ist"..

Did it hurt ?...falling from the Common Core poster child podium ?
Ted Haggard s Gospel Rub

Philadelphia, PA

#68 May 24, 2014
Spotted Girl wrote:
Too much force means their head is ripped off, and not enough means they suffer a long strangulation. So the force has to break the neck but not sever the head.
That's how topix was developed, too. Same criteria.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#69 May 24, 2014
Spotted Girl wrote:
Guillotines and ropes are "green." Both are gravity power, and the devices are reusable.
As a morbid bit of curiosity. Gallows-making was an art. It required balancing things just right to make sure that just the right force was applied to the rope when they dropped. Too much force means their head is ripped off, and not enough means they suffer a long strangulation. So the force has to break the neck but not sever the head.
They say that after your head has been severed by a guillotine that your head lives for a minute or to after that...just sayin'

Location hidden

#70 May 24, 2014
Maybe they should have different methods of execution that would be suitable to the crime deliberated by the jury, since some crimes are more extreme that others...that would put a whole new twist on things...
Ted Haggard s Gospel Rub

Philadelphia, PA

#71 May 24, 2014
justaguess wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL...you sound like the part of the movie intermission where they sing "Let's all go down to the lobby-ist"..
Did it hurt ?...falling from the Common Core poster child podium ?
Jokes need to have an internal logic. You don't know that. They also should not be cliched. You don't know that.

Naturally you also didn't respond regarding nuclear power. Which you adore.

“New & Improved..”

Level 8

Formerly From Kenya

#72 May 24, 2014
<quoted text>
Jokes need to have an internal logic. You don't know that. They also should not be cliched. You don't know that.
Naturally you also didn't respond regarding nuclear power. Which you adore.
Come on Mr. "I change my name you should understand my pun & logic"...you consider yourself to be smart, you may very well be, you consider yourself smarter then the average bear...possible, but you are now trying me, that isn't gonna happen ...Ok..You have some skills..but it isn't enough..you are witty..given,
~but~
You don't know shyt ..You can dismiss what you want to feel better but until you develop a core knowledge of past vs present and learn how to incorporate that into a line of repartee with the people here..you are simply another worthless troll playing some insignificant web site with visions of grandeur.. Have fun or continue to have your azz handed to you in ways you don't even understand. You do continue to make me laugh though..I will toss you that cookie...since you seem to need it..!
Regards !
J

“The Spotted Girl News Network”

Level 8

Since: Apr 09

Spotted World

#73 May 24, 2014
xxxooxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
They say that after your head has been severed by a guillotine that your head lives for a minute or to after that...just sayin'
That is probably right. I've witnessed poultry getting the axe. The body certainly stays alive for a brief bit after, and the farmer or whoever has to chase the butchered chickens. So if the body isn't immediately dead, the same is probably true of the head.

“New & Improved..”

Level 8

Formerly From Kenya

#74 May 24, 2014
Spotted Girl wrote:
<quoted text>
That is probably right. I've witnessed poultry getting the axe. The body certainly stays alive for a brief bit after, and the farmer or whoever has to chase the butchered chickens. So if the body isn't immediately dead, the same is probably true of the head.
But if you kill the head you've killed the ghoul..!
:)

Location hidden

#75 May 24, 2014
Spotted Girl wrote:
<quoted text>
Yea, it's kinda weird to see something running around with no head.......

“New & Improved..”

Level 8

Formerly From Kenya

#76 May 24, 2014
xxxooxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Yea, it's kinda weird to see something running around with no head.......
If you ever get a chance to visit our nations capital it would seem more normal..lol..
Ted Haggard s Gospel Rub

Philadelphia, PA

#77 May 24, 2014
justaguess wrote:
<quoted text>
Come on
Intelligent compared to you?

You were relying on a cliche. It didn't make sense. You didn't notice nuclear in the list of energy sources when you make your joke.

You again didn't address the content...the way tee baggrz always fail to. Well, unless they're making up or distorting some statistics from some science denying think tank or gun group or what have you.

“New & Improved..”

Level 8

Formerly From Kenya

#78 May 24, 2014
<quoted text>
Intelligent compared to you?
You were relying on a cliche. It didn't make sense. You didn't notice nuclear in the list of energy sources when you make your joke.
You again didn't address the content...the way tee baggrz always fail to. Well, unless they're making up or distorting some statistics from some science denying think tank or gun group or what have you.
You really miss your childhood enemas don't ya ?

It would have to suck being so focused on some little tiny grain of sand that was out of place that the experience of being on the beach was ruined..you are pathetic.

You'll always have the libtards there for ya..!! Wahoo..!

now go spend some minutes of your life placing icons on anyone that has spoken out at you...you'll feel right as rain..
:)
Ted Haggard s Gospel Rub

Philadelphia, PA

#79 May 24, 2014
justaguess wrote:
<quoted text>
You really miss your childhood enemas don't ya ?
It would have to suck being so focused on some little tiny grain of sand that was out of place that the experience of being on the beach was ruined..you are pathetic.
You'll always have the libtards there for ya..!! Wahoo..!
now go spend some minutes of your life placing icons on anyone that has spoken out at you...you'll feel right as rain..
Tee baggrz, the only yet all consuming problem with your flaccid invective is that you never address the content.

The problem with your brain in this instance is all these sorts of emissions are not "elements are being created," as you ignorantly had it.

You were confused and ignorant, as ever. And then you got defensive about it and avoided the content in Birther / Fundie fashion, even though it was 'splained to you. So take your tears somewhere else. Like to a kids' science fair.
Ted Haggard s Gospel Rub

Philadelphia, PA

#80 May 24, 2014
Oops ,eating while typing - not the best.
Independent

United States

#81 May 24, 2014
I explained this two times so any non bigot, non right winger could follow along.
Eighteen sounds trivial.
Until the context of the small sample size is included. Eighteen sounds like a small number - until you realize the sample size is small compared to the universe of convicts.
See, it's math? Something the earth-is-under-10000-years-old crowd cannot abide.
Speaking of which you pointedly did not provide this context and won't admit the simple point even now.
And the gross, systemic faults in the criminal justice system have not one thing to do with an inability to read people's minds. They have to do with testilying, physical abuse, abuse of rights, rush to judgment and bloodlust, with more than a dollop of racism. There was also until recently a genuine ignorance about just _how_ unreliable eyewitness testimony is.
So no numbers....only attack the messenger.
Big surprise there.

I have made no claims that weren't backed up on the Innocence Project website.

You keep crying small sample size. Well put a number on that sample size.
Link the data that states what you claim.

Otherwise you are nothing but a blowhard with not but personal attacks for no reason whatsoever.

How can you state I did not provide the context, read the link. It says just what I claimed.

18 since 1989.
That is the only point I have made.
Everything else you are attempting to throw in is BS, hyperbole, and red herrings.

Put up or shut up.
Ted Haggard s Gospel Rub

Philadelphia, PA

#82 May 24, 2014
Independent wrote:
<quoted text>
So no numbers....only attack the messenger.
Wrong, cre tin, there was more than just invective there. I explained the issue clearly and everyone who is not a jaysus mouthbreathing ignoramus could understand it.

"18" means nothing.

The percentage of errors in the small sample size indicates the scale of the problem of erroneous convictions were all convictions to be examined. It's a standard technique - they can call it auditing in certain contexts, rube.
Independent

United States

#83 May 25, 2014
Wrong, cre tin, there was more than just invective there. I explained the issue clearly and everyone who is not a jaysus mouthbreathing ignoramus could understand it.
"18" means nothing.
The percentage of errors in the small sample size indicates the scale of the problem of erroneous convictions were all convictions to be examined. It's a standard technique - they can call it auditing in certain contexts, rube.
Are you truly this moronic?
What is the sample size, in numbers?
Your claiming it to be small means nothing.
It is an unsupported opinion at this point.

How many times will you evade the question and opt for personal attacks instead?
Your lack of mentality shows when you attack as opposed to converse or debate.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 12 min Lifelover 211,549
Start a sentence in alphabetical order.. 16 min Parden Pard 2,657
What Turns You Off? 16 min Lifelover 402
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 19 min Denny CranesPlace 71,334
News Man's strange request for surgeon to remove tat... 22 min Pence of Tides 7
News Half-eaten shark washes ashore 33 min Parden Pard 19
4 Word Game (Use Same Letter) (Dec '14) 40 min Mustang GT Girl 1,746
News Thousands of demonstrators protest Trump in Atl... 2 hr inbred Genius 1,406
Poll What are you thinking right now? (May '08) 11 hr Sue 3,260
More from around the web