Tennessee brings back electric chair

May 23, 2014 Full story: The Kansas City Star 142

Dignitaries, downtown residents and business executives gathered Thursday just south of Main Street and Truman Road for the official groundbreaking of the downtown streetcar starter route.

Full Story
First Prev
of 8
Next Last
Doh

United States

#2 May 23, 2014
There's no "shortage". They just want to watch someone's head go up in flames.
Christians In Name Only

Philadelphia, PA

#3 May 23, 2014
They do enjoy grillin' down South.

The methods of capital punishment recently in use - electric chair, the lethal drug combos - can tellingly be covertly manipulated by bad actors in the execution process to make the condemned suffer horribly.

Just don't include one of the drugs in the cocktail, or include too little, and he won't be asleep as he is aphyxiated by the other(s). Or ramp up the electricity slowly. Make sure there's an imperfect connection for the electricity. No one from outside will investigate or monitor these things.

That's why we hear about these cases of the electric chair taking forty minutes and several attempts with the guy's head smoking, or about guys eventually having heart attacks during their 40 minutes of repeated drug cocktail administerings. It's the personnel - who cannot be medical professionals due to the oaths - abusing their power, imo. One would assume with the condemned who have the most loathsome accusations against them, or who get aggressive with the personnel during the process. Then they pay the ultimate price...but with extreme pain along the way.

And when something does go "wrong" with the execution, the first thing they do is block the view of the witnesses from the press and from the victim's family members. It is a literalization of the complete lack of transparency in the process.

“frequently laughing”

Level 8

Since: Apr 09

Hotel California

#4 May 23, 2014
I'd rather have a lethal dose of Morphine than die by the electric chair.

“All things considered”

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#6 May 23, 2014
you know they can put you under with anesthesia in about ten seconds...too much and you never wake up again.. just sayin'
Christians In Name Only

Philadelphia, PA

#7 May 23, 2014
xxxooxxx wrote:
you know they can put you under with anesthesia in about ten seconds...too much and you never wake up again.. just sayin'
While I believe part of the object is to inflict pain or to be able to inflict pain, there is the genuine problem of many companies not being willing to sell such ordinary drugs to prisons for this purpose. Some of those anesthetics might also require medical personnel to be involved. Of course going by (frequently disregarded) oaths medical personnel take as part of their training and licensing, they cannot be involved in killing humans.

“frequently laughing”

Level 8

Hotel California

#8 May 23, 2014
xxxooxxx wrote:
I think that was Christians in name only was talking about. You can't give someone anesthetic unless you are a medical professional and medical professionals don't kill people, intentionally anyway.

“All things considered”

Location hidden

#9 May 23, 2014
Always Wary wrote:
<quoted text>I think that was Christians in name only was talking about. You can't give someone anesthetic unless you are a medical professional and medical professionals don't kill people, intentionally anyway.
( just to clarify, your post wasnt there before I posted my comment)

I was reading this morning that doctors do actually administer the lethal drugs, anonymously...unless I read it wrong.

“Stop libel and bullying.”

Level 8

Spotted World

#10 May 23, 2014
Parden Pard wrote:
Lack of lethal drugs,,,?? Ya gotta be kidding. Heron Junkies are OD'ing all over the place.Hire a heron user to show the bureaucrats how it done,,jeshhhh
It is a lack of approved drugs. The cocktails have to be approved by the feds. A company here producing one of the approved ones quit producing it. So they wanted to order from overseas. That produced two problems. First, we couldn't get the regulatory approval to use the imported drugs, and then secondly, they refused to sell to us because of "moral objections."

Oh, a good number of "OD's" are actually adulterated drugs. So someone is a bad customer, owes the dealer and begs for a freebie. So the dealer adds strychnine to it, figuring he'd get rid of a pest for good. That is what they call a "90-10 split." Ninety percent poison and ten percent drugs.

Actually, some of the more barbaric methods might have less suffering. For instance, there is the firing squad. With the head immediately splattered everywhere, there is no way for them to suffer. Or bring back the guillotine. In a split second, the head is completely gone. Interestingly, it was created with the intention of making executions more humane.

Or take Socrates who was given a cocktail to drink. A similar death was on Emergency. The paramedics brought in a dying child. There was nothing Dr. Brackett and Dr. Kelly could do. They asked if he could have eaten anything in the yard, and the mother said there were things in the yard that kind of looked like carrots but probably weren't. That was water hemlock.

“frequently laughing”

Level 8

Hotel California

#11 May 23, 2014
xxxooxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
( just to clarify, your post wasnt there before I posted my comment)
I was reading this morning that doctors do actually administer the lethal drugs, anonymously...unless I read it wrong.
I was under the impression one must be in attendance but not necessarily push the button as it were. Maybe it varies by state?
Mechanic

Pelican, LA

#12 May 23, 2014
Dr. Jack Kevorkian didn't seen to have a problem figuring it out.

“frequently laughing”

Level 8

Hotel California

#13 May 23, 2014
"Another issue surrounding lethal injection is the involvement of medical personnel. Though doctors and nurses are presumably the most qualified to administer drugs to an inmate, medical ethics preclude doctors from participating in executions. The American Medical Association issued a statement prohibiting physician involvement in capital punishment, saying it is contrary to the Hippocratic Oath and would erode the public's trust in medical professionals. The American Nurses Association and the American Society of Anesthesiologists have both adopted similar positions. The result is that lethal injections are too often carried out by inexperienced technicians and orderlies, increasing the possibility of mistakes that can cause painful or drawn out executions."
http://www.deathpenalty.org/article.php...

“All things considered”

Location hidden

#14 May 23, 2014
Always Wary wrote:
<quoted text> I was under the impression one must be in attendance but not necessarily push the button as it were. Maybe it varies by state?
Tried to find the article I originally read this morning, but to no avail.( It was connected with several news feeds...)

yea, I would say that it might vary by state, since methods of execution do.

Just seems to me its such a waste of time and money when there are so many options available that fall under humane treatment.

It's not like that it could not be simply approved by the state.
Christians In Name Only

Philadelphia, PA

#15 May 23, 2014
Always Wary wrote:
<quoted text>I think that was Christians in name only was talking about. You can't give someone anesthetic unless you are a medical professional and medical professionals don't kill people, intentionally anyway.
In theory they cannot harm. As we saw in the various US torture programs over the decades this gets disregarded all the time. I am sure in the context of capital punishment, too.

But the supposed ethical requirements are nevertheless an additional complication for those who would like to torture or kill.
Christians In Name Only

Philadelphia, PA

#16 May 23, 2014
Always Wary wrote:
<quoted text> I was under the impression one must be in attendance but not necessarily push the button as it were. Maybe it varies by state?
The systems used to be set up with two activating "buttons," only one of which would actually work. So the two persons can each claim or believe or not know that they are not the executioner.

As for medical personnel involved in torture or executions: They can claim (absurdly) that they aren't present to torture or kill. They are there to provide medical care should it be required. I'm sure some just disregard their oaths more overtly, however.

“Stop libel and bullying.”

Level 8

Spotted World

#17 May 23, 2014
Yes, that is the conundrum. The anti-DP crowd pushes to make it to where only doctors can do this, and then pushes for medical boards to consider participating unethical, and then wants all involved to have their contact details published.

So you get the idea, make it to where nobody is qualified nor allowed to do it, and then set up others to be subject to legal and public retaliation. So you have to be a doctor to do it, but if you are a doctor, you are not allowed to do it, and just to be sure, if you do it, you are not allowed to do it anonymously.

On the flip side? Rapists and killers don't have to be licensed before committing their acts, and they can learn on the job. While they have even more at stake, at least they have a rather large union (ie., all anti-DP people) to help spare them of the worst of the occupational hazards. Plus to help them in their career, we provide them with the best criminal university system around.

“All things considered”

Location hidden

#18 May 23, 2014
Using an electric chair just seems so medieval...but I guess since the approval of torturing prisoner, anything goes these days.
Christians In Name Only

Philadelphia, PA

#19 May 23, 2014
Mechanic wrote:
Dr. Jack Kevorkian didn't seen to have a problem figuring it out.
If you read his book you will see that the methods he suggests are rather involved. Oxygen deprivation tents after you're asleep in essence.

He does not just say to drink alcohol and then overdose on heroin at the same time, for example.
Christians In Name Only

Philadelphia, PA

#20 May 23, 2014
Oops, I'm not sure "Final Exit," or whatever the Hemlock thing is called, is Kevorkian's book. But it's in the same neighborhood.

“All things considered”

Location hidden

#21 May 23, 2014
xxxooxxx wrote:
Using an electric chair just seems so medieval...but I guess since the approval of torturing prisoner, anything goes these days.
not sayin' that that some atrocities dont deserve the electric chair....
Mechanic

Pelican, LA

#22 May 23, 2014
xxxooxxx wrote:
Or,,, we could just Drone them!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Change "1" letter =ONLY= (Oct '12) 4 min andet1987 4,242
Federal Disability Insurance Program 5 min Roy 9
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 6 min Subduction Zone 132,658
CHANGE One letter CHANCE (Sep '08) 9 min andet1987 29,999
Change 1 letter game! (Nov '11) 11 min andet1987 2,953
Is it possible to....... 13 min Dr Wu 576
4 Word Game (Use Same Letter) 14 min Princess Hey 232
Word Association 2 (Sep '13) 20 min Jennifer Renee 7,579
Let's Play Song Titles With One Word? 21 min Princess Hey 311
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 31 min wichita-rick 152,491