Gunman's mother kept trials of home life hidden

Dec 17, 2012 Full story: The Kansas City Star 798

At the bar, everybody knew her name.Nancy Lanza was the one who, if she heard you were short on cash, regularly offered to pick up the tab at My Place.Two or three nights a week, Lanza - the mother of the gunman in Connecticut's horrific school massacre - came in for carryout salads, but stayed for Chardonnay and good humor.

Full Story

Since: Dec 12

Byron, IL

#275 Dec 19, 2012
Logan wrote:
<quoted text>I agree we don’t think alike, and I am grateful to God for that. You lack discernment and vision. You don’t believe in God but it’s his fault when something bad happens? Your “reasoning” is certainly is “brilliant”!
Before this country became godless and ignorant ones such as you with no logic became so prevalent, this country was great and was in great condition; but once it decided God was irrelevant and immorality and every depravity under the sun was preferable to decency, the nation deteriorated. Now that the majority in power are idiots who laugh at God and Christianity, we are in trouble, as a result.
Americans do need to wake up but not the way you meant.
Agree

“....VETS”

Level 9

Since: Jan 08

WELCOME HOME

#276 Dec 19, 2012
this is so good damn sickening ... two schools are being shut down for FRI because of threats ,
FRI a clue , but must be taken seriously

“God Bless America ”

Level 2

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

#279 Dec 19, 2012
milwaukee69 wrote:
<quoted text>
Careful.
The Westboro Baptist Church (WBC) is an American Primitive Baptist church known for its extreme ideologies, especially those against gays. That pretty much describes most Baptist ministries (especially in the bible belt), and we all know those are true Christian institutions, right? If you don't believe me, just ask any fry cook at a Chik-a-Fila restaurant - just not on Sundays.
I have no need to be careful, for I only speak the truth. WBC can call itself whatever it wishes but that doesn’t make it a real church. God will decide that. Churches following the will of God do not hate, as they seem to do. Your lumping all Baptist Churches together in your effort to malign all of us is very petty and typical of anti-Christians. You should be embarrassed for making such a biased statement while trying to come across as fair-minded. You know you are incorrect in stating “That pretty much describes most Baptist ministries (especially in the Bible belt), and we all know those are true Christian institutions, right?” You, like many, simply want criticize the Christian religion, and I am tired of it. No Baptist Churches are similar in behavior to WBC and you know it. We Baptists teach the Bible exactly as it is; we uphold the Word of God; and we do not discriminate against gays by not accepting homosexuality. Billy Graham is Southern Baptist, as am I, and neither he nor I accept the behavior of WBC. We Baptists do not have extreme ideologies, which is your label because you are not Christian and you enjoy trying to make us out to be radical undesirables.
You are unfair and unjust in your criticism of Chick-Fil-A, who took a rightful stand for their religious beliefs, according to Biblical teachings. You have no right to put them down for exercising their right granted by the Constitution to freedom of speech and the unhindered practice of their religious beliefs. If you don’t like their beliefs, eat somewhere else; but allow them the same rights you take for yourself. They are as much American as you are.

“God Bless America ”

Level 2

Location hidden

#280 Dec 19, 2012
rider wrote:
Dominion Theology - Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaen.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominion_Th... - Similar
You +1'd this publicly. Undo
Main article: Christian Reconstructionism. An example of Dominionism in reformed theology is Christian Reconstructionism, which originated with the teachings ...
The Growing Threat of Christian Dominionismwww.patheos.com/.../Christian-Domi...
Jun 14, 2012 – The New Apostolic Reformation is a dominionist group with close ties to many Republican politicians, including presidential candidates.
Christian Right - PublicEye.org - The Website of Political Research ...www.publiceye.org/christian _right/cr_intro.htmlCached - Similar
Jump to What is Dominionism?&#8206;: Dominionism is a trend in Protestant Christian evangelicalism and fundamentalism that encourages not just active ...
Daily Kos: Is PBS on the Christian Dominionism *cult* HIT list?www.dailykos.com/.../-Is- PBS-on-the-Christian-Dominioni sm-cult-HI...Cached
Oct 6, 2012 – What is Christian Dominionism and is it fair to call this movement a "cult?... weeks ago (Inside the Christian Right Dominionist Movement That's ...
Rise of the Religious Right in the Republican Partywww.theocracywatch.org/Cached - Similar
"Christian Reconstructionism" is a form of "Dominion Theology" that influenced a tendency toward "Dominionism" in the Christian Right and certain evangelical ...
A Christian Plot for Domination?- The Daily Beastwww.thedailybeast.com/.../dominionism-mi...
Aug 14, 2011 – Bachmann and Perry share ties to Dominionism, which says Christians should rule. By Michelle Goldberg.
5 Facts About Dominionismwww.huffingtonpost.com/.../5-facts...
Sep 1, 2011 – Depending on whom you ask, "Dominionism" either signifies a Christian plot for world domination, or the latest liberal bugaboo. Here are five ...
Christian Supremacist - Think Progressthinkprogress.org/.../gop-senate-cand...
Aug 10, 2012 – Indeed, the Reverend has called the US a Christian nation that should be .... as we wish, but I guess that is not in the Dominionist's agenda.
The March of Christian Dominionism 1: What Is ...- Addicting Infowww.addictinginfo.org/2012/02/27/christia...
Feb 27, 2012 – What is Christian Dominionism? It's exactly what it sounds like: a world dominated by Christianity. Not just under the control of Christianity but ...
What hogwash! You remind of Hitler and his campaign agaisnt Jews.

“God Bless America ”

Level 2

Location hidden

#281 Dec 19, 2012
rider wrote:
topdocumentaryfilms.com/jesus- camp/Cached - Similar
The feverish spectacle of a summer camp for evangelical Christian kids is the focus of Jesus Camp, a fascinating if sometimes alarming documentary.
When are you going to provide equal "enlightenment" on the Islamic religion or do you prefer only to put down us Christians? Too bad you don't live in Pakistan or some other UNFREE country.

“God Bless America ”

Level 2

Location hidden

#282 Dec 19, 2012
rider wrote:
rt.com/usa/news/christian-mafi a-american-elite/
Jan 18, 2010
A group known as the “Christian mafia” is the oldest and arguably ...“You go to a small country like Uganda or ...
What do you hope to gain with this anti-Christian campaign on Topix? Are you conducting this vendetta against Chrisitanity because of your hatred for us Christians or because you are simply are a little man, like Hitler?
coyote

Dartmouth, Canada

#283 Dec 19, 2012
Logan wrote:
<quoted text>What hogwash! You remind of Hitler and his campaign agaisnt Jews.
YEAH----'cause the UK, Canada, USA welcomed the Jews fleeing nazi persecution- sorry-THAT is Hogwash- they were turned away from our cos.' safe harbors and returned to europe..... what kinda deal was that - oh- must have been Hitler's fault those countries turned the exiting Jews away from safety !!!!

Since: Dec 12

Byron, IL

#284 Dec 19, 2012
A whole lot of the posters on this thread seem like they would feel justified in shooting up a church or anywhere else Christians might congregate. Maybe law enforcement ought to take a good look at them. I would imagine, considering what has just happened law enforcement would be keeping a close eye on this Newtown Topix forum.
Logan, we were warned days like this would come. Don't let the haters get you down. They are just doing what they are supposed to be doing.
NOTthechildren

Bryn Mawr, PA

#287 Dec 19, 2012
Has anyone raised the point that this shooting happend during the holiday season where depression hits many really hard?

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/attending...

Was actually going to say suicide the highest during the holidays but many say it's springtime. But depression hits hard during the holidays making people feel even more alone. Not seeing his father or brother could this have nudged child killer Adam Lanza along during this holiday season.

“Are We Having Fun Yet???”

Level 8

Since: Jun 08

If Not, Why Not!!!

#290 Dec 19, 2012
tallyho wrote:
owning a gun you don't say anything , you don't have to
That's RW, I'm talking about posting.

Actually saying something could keep a person from having to use their gun.

Level 8

If Not, Why Not!!!

#291 Dec 19, 2012
Ferrerman wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah but, you carry your gun in a purse.
Eternal cynic does that.
Yes I do but that doesn't have anything to do with bragging or not bragging about how many guns a person might own.

There is only so much room in a gun purse......

Level 8

If Not, Why Not!!!

#292 Dec 19, 2012
AdamLanzaVaccineVictim wrote:
<quoted text>Very well said. Pharma tried taking vitamins away from us too.
I remember that, they would love to put health food stores out of business.....

Location hidden

#294 Dec 19, 2012
tallyho wrote:
thought makes me wonder ????????
if you as a parent knew that the child was a problem one , than why all the guns ????
It is a question I have also asked myself. There have been a number of these types of shootings where the family life,although possibly troubled,have also been quite comfortable. The Lanza household apparently did not want for anything. Both parents were apparently quite successful. There are those of us who are not so fortunate;and,do not produce children who become mass murderers. Like it or not,yes, this is murder. Eventhough he committed suicide,which can be forgiven in many instances,murder is not so readily forgiven.

Level 8

If Not, Why Not!!!

#296 Dec 19, 2012
<quoted text> Starts with vaccines. The damage can't be reversed.
I agree.
Shrew Slew

Minneapolis, MN

#297 Dec 19, 2012
<quoted text> Mental illness isn't an excuse, but is an explanation of sorts. But then many so called sane people shot others over every possible slight. You should really have sympathy for Adam and his mom. Life sucks, and it sucks a whole lot worse for some. The story is almost unbelieveable, but nothing seems too much for human beings. Adam had his reasons but he really fk up.
Taken over by mental illness there is no escape. Decisions without logic, an out of control human with skills and weapons to kill. If not guns he could have used many other lethal weapons. The worst school mass murder occurred in 1927 and was done with explosives.

RIP Kids and Staff of Sandy Hook ES.

Location hidden

#303 Dec 19, 2012
harleyhunni wrote:
<quoted text>
For the most part suicide is not forgiven. For a lot of people in this world suicide is the chickenshit way out. He was a chicken shit. Better he had taken his own sorry life than that of innocents. Suicide no matter your circumstance, health or whatever, is wrong in every way. Not just my opinion. It is a cowards way out. At least when you are old enough to know better.
You are wrong. Suicide is permitted and forgiven in particular circumstances. I am using the Christian Texts as reference. Murder is criminal homicide;the willful taking of another person's life. The reason murder is difficult to forgive;and,I am using Biblical References,is because forgiveness is required not only by God,Himself,but, also by the person who was murdered.

“God Bless America ”

Level 2

Location hidden

#305 Dec 19, 2012
coyote wrote:
<quoted text> YEAH----'cause the UK, Canada, USA welcomed the Jews fleeing nazi persecution- sorry-THAT is Hogwash- they were turned away from our cos.' safe harbors and returned to europe..... what kinda deal was that - oh- must have been Hitler's fault those countries turned the exiting Jews away from safety !!!!
What has anything you said to do with my discussion about the poster’s put down of Christianity? Am I responsible for this country’s or any of the others turning away the poor Jews? I think it was deplorable. Are you upholding Hitler and putting down your own country?

May I remind you and others that that is supposed to be a forum about the slaughter of innocent children, not a debate about all this other stuff? I am through discussing anything off topic, so if you want to argue about Hitler, find another thread and I’ll be happy to discuss it there.
NOTthechildren

Bryn Mawr, PA

#308 Dec 19, 2012
harleyhunni wrote:
<quoted text>
What is even sadder is that people can come up with excuses for this pos! Many people go without lots of things during the holidays, and throughout life, and have for many years,, and they are not out on killing sprees. There is no excuse. None!
I'm not trying to make excuses but following the current cultural thinking ie pop psychology it makes you wonder. To me killing the kids I simply do not get. I understand parents or a authority figure but children that had nothing to do with him other than possibly knowing his mother. Even so called experts are puzzled because this is one of few school shooters to kill a parent first.

There is no excuse. I think this guy showed too much planning and was able to do things like shop and drive a car the week of the rampage. And for a kid that supposedly needed constant supervision he sure was able to do alot on his own.

“....VETS”

Level 9

WELCOME HOME

#309 Dec 19, 2012
STEPHMAR wrote:
<quoted text>It is a question I have also asked myself. There have been a number of these types of shootings where the family life,although possibly troubled,have also been quite comfortable. The Lanza household apparently did not want for anything. Both parents were apparently quite successful. There are those of us who are not so fortunate;and,do not produce children who become mass murderers. Like it or not,yes, this is murder. Eventhough he committed suicide,which can be forgiven in many instances,murder is not so readily forgiven.
nobody produces mass murders , mass murders are driven

WHY in most cases we don't know

Hitler: who was the mass murderer Hitler or those who carried it out
NOTthechildren

Bryn Mawr, PA

#313 Dec 19, 2012
harleyhunni wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry..not for this family I don't.. but I may feel sorry for some teen that takes his/her life..but not in this instance, he took the cowards way out,, as he should, he was coward. Sympathy in this case is and can be found in the dictionary between shit and syphillis. And I disagree, life does not suck. I get knocked down, but I get right back up and hit life with both feet, and glad to be alive, glad of what I got, and the family I have, and love, and friends I have. I think life is beautiful.
I think alot of these killers do such horrible things as to force the issue of suicide. They need that motivation. Funny how when they seem to realize they are in deep crap they have the motivation to do what they probably couldn't do minutes earlier. Child killer Adam Lanza was indeed a coward not for taking himself out of life earlier.

I sometimes think we have to take the stigma off of suicide. Don't encourage it but realize for some it truely is the only way out. I think many drug addicts and alcoholics simply don't have the guts to take themselves out yet they inflict their misery on the rest of us with lying,cheating,stealing and hurting people through crime. They're miserable and literally waiting for the end. Maybe we should offer people the choice to flip to their final chapter/page.

If I knew a person had a choice of something like hardcore drug addiction or suicide I quite frankly would respect the individual who chooses to take themselves out just to avoid stuff like this. The Asian cultures don't seem to be as harsh on those who chose suicide and their cultures have been around longer than most western cultures.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ferguson Grand Jury Reaches Decision 6 min Michael 142
Do you have a Topix crush? (Jun '11) 8 min _lea_ 8,040
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 9 min John Bender 37,487
Bill Cosby 11 min Larry Craig s WC ... 197
What are you thinking about now? (Jun '10) 13 min COOTERDOG 23,978
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 28 min DanFromSmithville 127,545
Is SWEETIE-PIE In Love With GENO? 31 min liarmouth 52
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 48 min wichita-rick 151,073

Weird People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE