Broad immigration reform will make ou...

Broad immigration reform will make our communities safer

There are 61 comments on the The Kansas City Star story from Jun 16, 2013, titled Broad immigration reform will make our communities safer. In it, The Kansas City Star reports that:

More than 5,000 abandoned houses present Kansas City with a pricey problem every summer.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Kansas City Star.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Level 6

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#1 Jun 16, 2013
"damage caused by an immigration system that prioritizes immigration enforcement when we should instead focus all of our resources on fighting crime.

When people fear deportation and families fear separation, trust in law enforcement erodes. I have witnessed the suspicion that grows in immigrant communities when those duly charged to protect the community take on the role of immigration officers."

So, if we turn all these illegals into instant citizens we are expected to believe they will suddenly throw off generations of criminal culture, by our standards, and be come law abiding citizens?

Put down the crack pipe.

Level 4

Since: Oct 08

Victor, NY

#2 Jun 17, 2013
Ten years ago I would have agreed (mostly) with this guy. Now, I believe it's time to throw all illegals out, get rid of the anchor baby law, and put up a 50 foot electric fence with rolls of barbed wire at the top - on the ocean fronts, about a mile out. GUARD the ports, airports. Drastic but necessary. Oh, and put a closed sash on Ms. Liberty.

“I know where you are,”

Level 8

Since: Jun 08

Right here under my thumb

#3 Jun 17, 2013
A couple of facts:

1. The top 3 foriegn travel destinations for US travelers are Cancun, Mexico City and Los Cabos.

2. Baseball, the 3rd most watched professional sport in America, is 27% Latino.

3. Mexican food is the #1 ethnic food in America.

4. Mexico is the 3rd largest trading partner of the US.

5. Produce, 3rd in total supermarket sales, is picked by a labor force that is 68% Hispanic.

"Ya'll" sure didn't like the 9-year old Hispanic boy singing the National Anthem but you sure like buying Mexican stuff, celebrating Mexican holidays and going to Mexico on vacation.

Level 4

Since: Oct 08

Victor, NY

#4 Jun 17, 2013
1. Never been and never wanted to go to those destinations for any reason.
2. It doesn't have to be.
3. Ethnic food is made for fast food restaurants.
4. Again, it doesn't have to be.
5. If there were no Hispanics to pick the produce, we have a large portion of labor force young enough to physically do the job FOR A FAIR PRICE.

Level 7

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#5 Jun 17, 2013
milwaukee69 wrote:
A couple of facts:
1. The top 3 foriegn travel destinations for US travelers are Cancun, Mexico City and Los Cabos.
2. Baseball, the 3rd most watched professional sport in America, is 27% Latino.
3. Mexican food is the #1 ethnic food in America.
4. Mexico is the 3rd largest trading partner of the US.
5. Produce, 3rd in total supermarket sales, is picked by a labor force that is 68% Hispanic.
"Ya'll" sure didn't like the 9-year old Hispanic boy singing the National Anthem but you sure like buying Mexican stuff, celebrating Mexican holidays and going to Mexico on vacation.
It's obvious we have a problem then! With it being ok to let some culture into our nation it is not ok to turn our nation into that culture.........is it to late?

Our children will not experience the same American as we did growing up.......it's already different!

“I know where you are,”

Level 8

Since: Jun 08

Right here under my thumb

#6 Jun 17, 2013
T Turner wrote:
5. If there were no Hispanics to pick the produce, we have a large portion of labor force young enough to physically do the job FOR A FAIR PRICE.
Really? Never heard of the failed Georgia Experiment using only local and probation labor, huh?

But of course - we'll all follow you into those 100+ degree fields and pick berries for 14 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Got news for ya'- America has always farmed out the dirty work to peasants and immigrant labor.
Dr Stinko

Hampton, VA

#7 Jun 17, 2013
The top five issues facing our nation, its economics, and way of life, have little, or nothing to do with immigration.

Immigration is a smoke screen...

“I know where you are,”

Level 8

Since: Jun 08

Right here under my thumb

#8 Jun 17, 2013
Sally Brown wrote:
<quoted text>
It's obvious we have a problem then! With it being ok to let some culture into our nation it is not ok to turn our nation into that culture.........is it to late?
Our children will not experience the same American as we did growing up.......it's already different!
America as a whole is out-of-touch with its Y-generation. The generation that is only 10 years from producting the 85% of the labor force in this country. Ahhh...yes, the Y-generation - you know - those born between 1977-2000? The generation that is connected and well-informed. They are a civic-minded and confident generation. They are also more educated than any generation before them. And lastly - they have a huge respect for diversity. The Y-generation, the generation that doesn't care to work the fields and still insists that there are well-paying jobs in the video gaming industry.

Those children?

“I know where you are,”

Level 8

Since: Jun 08

Right here under my thumb

#9 Jun 17, 2013
Sally Brown wrote:
<quoted text>
It's obvious we have a problem then! With it being ok to let some culture into our nation it is not ok to turn our nation into that culture.
Never had a pizza, huh? You like spaghetti? How about some wonderful Chinese takeout? Yeah, me neither - so how about some nice Polish kielbasa for you Easter breakfast?

My point is - unless you are Native American - you also have affected the way this nation has changed its culture. That's what the sign says on Ellis Island.

"Give me your tired, your poor,

Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,

The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.

Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,

I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

America wouldn't be America hadn't other countries sent us their castoffs.

“I know where you are,”

Level 8

Since: Jun 08

Right here under my thumb

#10 Jun 17, 2013
Dr Stinko wrote:
The top five issues facing our nation, its economics, and way of life, have little, or nothing to do with immigration.
Immigration is a smoke screen...
I agree 100%.

Level 4

Since: Oct 08

Victor, NY

#11 Jun 17, 2013
milwaukee69 wrote:
<quoted text>
Really? Never heard of the failed Georgia Experiment using only local and probation labor, huh?
But of course - we'll all follow you into those 100+ degree fields and pick berries for 14 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Got news for ya'- America has always farmed out the dirty work to peasants and immigrant labor.
I'm very aware of this. I wonder how hot it was when the roads and bridges went up after the war and we had a high unemployment rate.

People need to feed and house their families. Not with a farm wage, won't happen. Decent wage and Americans will do the jobs.

Level 4

Since: Oct 08

Victor, NY

#12 Jun 17, 2013
milwaukee69 wrote:
<quoted text>
America as a whole is out-of-touch with its Y-generation...
Those children?
I'm familiar with them. We have 5. They've all gone to college (on their dime - we have one Master's Degree and one Doctorate and coming up on one Graduate's Degree). It would be nice to have them all employed, owning homes, raising their families. Without street signs that are drawings and 'press 1 for this message in English'. Yes, we are a country of rejected immigrants. Time to pluck the ones who aren't working, still illegal and can't speak our language after 20 years of being here. Time to remove them from the social teat.

“I know where you are,”

Level 8

Since: Jun 08

Right here under my thumb

#13 Jun 17, 2013
T Turner wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm very aware of this. I wonder how hot it was when the roads and bridges went up after the war and we had a high unemployment rate.
People need to feed and house their families. Not with a farm wage, won't happen. Decent wage and Americans will do the jobs.
You're missing the point - after WWII, building bridges and roads WERE the best jobs in America - we had no choice. And building bridges are now handled by the building and trades unions. So pay those Y-generation gamers a decent wage, like say...oh I don't know - let's get crazy and pay 'em $75,000 a year, ok?

You don't eat many fruits or vegetables, do you? Well that's good, because with a 68% immigrant farm laborer workforce, you can pretty much kiss those 2 for $1 cucumbers out the window. But that's ok - we at least got rid of the immigration problem, right?

Here - the state of Georgia tried this 3 years ago - it didn't work then either.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0611/575...

“I know where you are,”

Level 8

Since: Jun 08

Right here under my thumb

#14 Jun 17, 2013
T Turner wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm very aware of this. I wonder how hot it was when the roads and bridges went up after the war and we had a high unemployment rate.
People need to feed and house their families. Not with a farm wage, won't happen. Decent wage and Americans will do the jobs.
The unemployment rate after World War II wasn't high - it was under 5%- well under 5%.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/special/...

“I know where you are,”

Level 8

Since: Jun 08

Right here under my thumb

#15 Jun 17, 2013
T Turner wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm familiar with them. We have 5. They've all gone to college (on their dime - we have one Master's Degree and one Doctorate and coming up on one Graduate's Degree). It would be nice to have them all employed, owning homes, raising their families. Without street signs that are drawings and 'press 1 for this message in English'. Yes, we are a country of rejected immigrants. Time to pluck the ones who aren't working, still illegal and can't speak our language after 20 years of being here. Time to remove them from the social teat.
Lol...great plan.

You can be the one to inform all those retirees, disabled veterans and people who actually work two jobs and still need some sort of assistance.

Just remember - a plan like you're proposing would've had you being conceived and born in Eastern Europe - if you were lucky not to be born in Germany, Spain, Italy, France, Belgium or Russia.

Level 4

Since: Oct 08

Victor, NY

#16 Jun 17, 2013
milwaukee69 wrote:
<quoted text>
...you can pretty much kiss those 2 for $1 cucumbers out the window...
Don't know where you shop, but we haven't had prices like that in years - even at the farmers' market. And I buy plenty of high priced produce - all imported but the farmers' market.

“I know where you are,”

Level 8

Since: Jun 08

Right here under my thumb

#17 Jun 17, 2013
T Turner wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't know where you shop, but we haven't had prices like that in years - even at the farmers' market. And I buy plenty of high priced produce - all imported but the farmers' market.
Here's one not too far from you.

http://findnsave.wickedlocal.com/Local-Ads/a-...

And another...

http://www.wral.com/carlie-c-s-deals-peanut-b...

Still another...

http://www.pocketyourdollars.com/2013/01/rain...

And yet another...

http://wisconsincouponmatchups.com.previewdns...

Level 7

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#18 Jun 17, 2013
milwaukee69 wrote:
<quoted text>
Never had a pizza, huh? You like spaghetti? How about some wonderful Chinese takeout? Yeah, me neither - so how about some nice Polish kielbasa for you Easter breakfast?
My point is - unless you are Native American - you also have affected the way this nation has changed its culture. That's what the sign says on Ellis Island.
"Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"
America wouldn't be America hadn't other countries sent us their castoffs.
I understand what you are saying. Ellis Island was a different time and very different from what we are looking at now!

I welcome culture with open arms but, that same culture has changed America in some very scary ways! Only in the past 10~15 years........ Not to mention production of many products has gone to other countries = less American jobs. All for the mighty dollar!

Level 7

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#19 Jun 17, 2013
milwaukee69 wrote:
<quoted text>
Never had a pizza, huh? You like spaghetti? How about some wonderful Chinese takeout? Yeah, me neither - so how about some nice Polish kielbasa for you Easter breakfast?
My point is - unless you are Native American - you also have affected the way this nation has changed its culture. That's what the sign says on Ellis Island.
"Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"
America wouldn't be America hadn't other countries sent us their castoffs.
I think you like to argue/debate!

Have a good one!

“I know where you are,”

Level 8

Since: Jun 08

Right here under my thumb

#20 Jun 17, 2013
Sally Brown wrote:
<quoted text>
I understand what you are saying. Ellis Island was a different time and very different from what we are looking at now!
I welcome culture with open arms but, that same culture has changed America in some very scary ways! Only in the past 10~15 years........ Not to mention production of many products has gone to other countries = less American jobs. All for the mighty dollar!
There are job openings in America that continually go unfilled. If America doesn't want to re-educate themselves and make considerably more money now - how do we expect them to embrace a minimum paying job in 100+ degree heat, 14 hours a day, 6-7 days a week? Everyone with the "answers" needs to go back and read a little US history. Who built the first railroads? Who picked our cotton? Go back to 1868 and look up the Burlingame Treaty.

Manufacturing has left the US in great part due to high union labor - not because of immigrant labor. On the contrary - immigrant labor has made produce affordable in this country since the 1950's.

You're a woman - you must do some sort of grocery shopping each week. Can you imagine what the price of produce will be if we just decide to "eradicate" the immigration problem? There isn't a plain jane solution. I think we need to weigh the pros and cons and approach this intelligently.

Simply closing our borders and becomming isolationist is not the answer.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Last Post Wins! (Aug '08) 5 min Sharlene45 148,503
*add A word / drop a word* (Nov '12) 6 min Princess Hey 15,288
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 7 min wichita-rick 207,331
2words into 2new words (May '12) 9 min CJ Rocker 6,884
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 11 min replaytime 217,129
News American pandas have culture shock in China 14 min Enzo49 3
Two words only please! (Aug '08) 19 min UnderstandPeople 40,890
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 23 min Enzo49 67,346
What Turns You Off (Jun '11) 57 min Enzo49 10,700
Poll What are you thinking right now? (May '08) 1 hr Sharlene45 2,489
What turns you on ? (Aug '11) 4 hr Enzo49 1,541
More from around the web