Poor Chinese county used relief fund ...

Poor Chinese county used relief fund to build temple

There are 22 comments on the Philadelphia's WB 17 story from Sep 27, 2011, titled Poor Chinese county used relief fund to build temple. In it, Philadelphia's WB 17 reports that:

A poor county in southern China, prone to natural disasters, forced villages to hand over their irrigation subsidies to finance a multimillion-dollar temple to attract tourists, state media reported on Monday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Philadelphia's WB 17.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
DJZ

Merrillville, IN

#2 Sep 27, 2011
Politicians wasting and throwing money on boondogle projects. We have wack politics here, why would it be any different anywhere else.

Since: Sep 11

Noblesville, IN

#4 Sep 28, 2011
Well, they certainly have their priorities right. Screw the poor. A building is much more important then helping the desperately poor.

United States

#5 Sep 28, 2011
DJZ wrote:
Politicians wasting and throwing money on boondoggle projects. We have wack politics here, why would it be any different anywhere else.
I doubt something like that would happen here, but only because it would make the politicians look bad and hurt their approval ratings. Here they just let corporations and health insurance companies take our money.

Level 6

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#6 Sep 28, 2011
Mockingbird Franklin wrote:
<quoted text> I doubt something like that would happen here, but only because it would make the politicians look bad and hurt their approval ratings. Here they just let corporations and health insurance companies take our money.
What rock have you been living under?

The same thing has been going on here ever since Congress voted themselves a salary.

Level 6

Since: Apr 10

USA

#7 Sep 28, 2011
DJZ wrote:
Politicians wasting and throwing money on boondogle projects. We have wack politics here, why would it be any different anywhere else.
You may never know. This attempt to bring in tourists may put extra money into that county's pockets.

Noblesville, IN

#8 Sep 28, 2011
Bama Yankee wrote:
<quoted text>
What rock have you been living under?
The same thing has been going on here ever since Congress voted themselves a salary.
I respectfully disagree. This is far worse and blatant than any abuses from our government. It would be the equivalent of the county government taking all the social security payments that had been sent out in the county, then using it to build an extravagant tourist trap.
The biggest difference is that in China there isn't a damn thing they can do about it. Here we'd at least have the right to protest without fear of reprisals.
old china

Chengdu, China

#9 Sep 28, 2011
Conversely if the local government let the project fail then they will probably get accused of religious persecution.

Level 6

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#10 Sep 28, 2011
<quoted text>
I respectfully disagree. This is far worse and blatant than any abuses from our government. It would be the equivalent of the county government taking all the social security payments that had been sent out in the county, then using it to build an extravagant tourist trap.
The biggest difference is that in China there isn't a damn thing they can do about it. Here we'd at least have the right to protest without fear of reprisals.
Only one example of many:

http://www.examiner.com/religion-politics-in-...

No disrespect meant, but you really need to enlighten yourself as to what our "government" is doing with out tax dollars.
AMERICAN ICON

New York, NY

#11 Sep 28, 2011
American icon Tony Bennett took to the airwaves at Sirius Radio to promote his new album,“Duets II,” but it’s what he said about war, peace, terrorism, and who was to blame for the Sept. 11 terror attacks that could get people talking.

Sitting down with Howard Stern on Monday, the 85-year-old singer dodged questions about his sex life and prior drug use. He did so with a laugh, but matters about the U.S. military and 9/11 were fair game, and on these topics the Grammy winner held little back.

Beginning with his service in World War II, Bennett said that his experiences as a teenager in combat forever changed his position on war.
“I’m anti-war,” he said.“It’s the lowest form of human behavior.”
Drafted by the U.S. Army in November 1944, Bennett served as an infantryman in Europe, moving across France, and later into Germany.
“The Germans were frightened. We were frightened. Nobody wanted to kill anybody when we were on the line, but the weapons were so strong that it overcame us and everybody else.”
Bennett credited the Army with allowing him to study singing under the GI Bill. He also admitted that his two years of service gave him enough time to witness the horrors of war.
“The first time I saw a dead German, that’s when I became a pacifist,” he said.
He told Stern that he was left forever shaken by the sight of death.
“It was a nightmare that’s permanent,” he said.“I just said,‘This is not life. This is not life.’”
Bennett, 65 years after leaving his military life behind, has sold over 50 million albums and developed definite opinions about other wars involving the United States.
“To start a war in Iraq was a tremendous, tremendous mistake internationally,” he said.
Stern then asked Bennett about how America should deal with terrorists, specifically those responsible for the 2001 attack on the World Trade Center.
“But who are the terrorists? Are we the terrorists or are they the terrorists? Two wrongs don’t make a right,” Bennett said.
In a soft-spoken voice, the singer disagreed with Stern’s premise that 9/11 terrorists’ actions led to U.S. military involvement in Iraq and Afghanistan.
“They flew the plane in, but we caused it,” Bennett responded.“Because we were bombing them and they told us to stop.”
Following seconds of silence, Stern said that his guest was “making some good points.”
Before leaving, Bennett recalled an evening in 2005 when he was honored at the Kennedy Center. Meeting President George W. Bush at the event, the singer said that the commander-in-chief shared his opinion about the Iraq War.
“He told me personally that night that, he said,‘I think I made a mistake,’” Bennett said.
Bennett believed that the president made this revelation because “he had a special liking to me.”

“ROCK ON ROCKERS!!”

Level 8

Since: Mar 11

Rockin' USA ;)

#12 Sep 28, 2011
That is terrible, yes and what are the poor to say to these dictators? Folks here think they have it rough when the electric company shuts ya off...at least you can still eat out. These poor people rely on the irrigation for their daily food intake. Grow the veggies, take to market and get a few coins and live off the land. Now, they will probably starve. Well, we know where the poor people stand in China, use and abuse, until they cannot stand any more.
Squatting Chinaman

Homer, LA

#13 Sep 28, 2011
<quoted text>
LOL, tell that to the ones who were arrested on wall street, take your head out of your azz, America is just as corrupt, only you get a rose with that screwing!

Noblesville, IN

#14 Sep 28, 2011
Bama Yankee wrote:
<quoted text>
Only one example of many:
http://www.examiner.com/religion-politics-in-...
No disrespect meant, but you really need to enlighten yourself as to what our "government" is doing with out tax dollars.
I can see your point about government spending. The difference as I see it isn't about what the government does with the money, but that we have the right to protest and our legal system allows us the ability to if not stop them then at least challenge them in public. We can openly criticize and vote out politicians if they are abusing their power. It's by no means perfect, but much better than China. The government does not answer to the people. Trying to protest or stop abuses of power can lead to jail, or they could take away their livelihood (i.e. fining a farmer and taking his oxen or other animals or tools that he needs as payment.). And speaking out, trying to right the wrongs only makes it worse. That is the crucial difference between us and them.
old china

Chengdu, China

#15 Sep 28, 2011
<quoted text>
I can see your point about government spending. The difference as I see it isn't about what the government does with the money, but that we have the right to protest and our legal system allows us the ability to if not stop them then at least challenge them in public. We can openly criticize and vote out politicians if they are abusing their power. It's by no means perfect, but much better than China. The government does not answer to the people. Trying to protest or stop abuses of power can lead to jail, or they could take away their livelihood (i.e. fining a farmer and taking his oxen or other animals or tools that he needs as payment.). And speaking out, trying to right the wrongs only makes it worse. That is the crucial difference between us and them.
What good does it do to protest something if they laugh you out of court? After all, your votes delegated your authority to them so that you don't get to take decisions. That gives them a mandate to do anything they want until the next election where the cycle gets repeated.

“ROCK ON ROCKERS!!”

Level 8

Since: Mar 11

Rockin' USA ;)

#16 Sep 28, 2011
old china wrote:
<quoted text>
What good does it do to protest something if they laugh you out of court? After all, your votes delegated your authority to them so that you don't get to take decisions. That gives them a mandate to do anything they want until the next election where the cycle gets repeated.
It's just like when you elect a new prez, we the people voted him into office. We are paying his salary (taxpayers), therefore he works for us. But does he come to us and ask permission to spend this amount of money on this or that? No, because we the people gave him the power to do and spend as he pleases. It's kinda like a merry-go-round, we can go on and on about the spending, but it comes down to who is holding the brass ring?
NWO

New York, NY

#17 Sep 28, 2011
It takes a billionaire to even run. What does that tell you?

Noblesville, IN

#18 Sep 29, 2011
Squatting Chinaman wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL, tell that to the ones who were arrested on wall street, take your head out of your azz, America is just as corrupt, only you get a rose with that screwing!
I am not naïve, I don't have any illusions about our government. Yes, there is a lot of corruption on the left and right. But it's nothing like China. Do you know what it's like over there. The government has no limits on it's power. No warrants, no one reads you your rights if you're arrested. They don't even have to have a reason. They can take anything you have. If you are religious you'll be lucky to be one of the few religious groups that are "tolerated"
A poor county means no indoor plumbing, and scraping together enough food to eat. Younger people have to go to the cities because there's no work in the rural areas. They go to the cities hoping to make enough to send some home. The average work day is 12 hrs. 6 days a week if they're lucky. If they get sick they can lose their job, and there's little done to protect the worker's health from toxic chemicals,and hazardous work conditions in fact if you lost an arm at work then you fired with not a penny.
So, unless your children have to work in a factory where they are exposed to mercury, lead, exhaust fumes, and a long list of carcinogens just to help feed his family then I don't even want to hear you say we have it just as bad here.

Noblesville, IN

#19 Sep 29, 2011
old china wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, that's a cynical point of view. If that's true, if it's a futile exercise to protest or vote, then there's no point in trying. If you're right then it means our democracy is a lost cause.
Our government is far from perfect, and some what dysfunctional, but not broken beyond repair. It won't be easy, but if we keep faith and diligently work to build a better country it will have an effect. I refuse to accept that I don't matter.

United States

#20 Sep 29, 2011
Colorado Chick wrote:
<quoted text>It's just like when you elect a new prez, we the people voted him into office. We are paying his salary (taxpayers), therefore he works for us. But does he come to us and ask permission to spend this amount of money on this or that? No, because we the people gave him the power to do and spend as he pleases. It's kinda like a merry-go-round, we can go on and on about the spending, but it comes down to who is holding the brass ring?
If Obama had the power to do and spend as he pleased then there would've been no debt ceiling crisis, health care would've been sorted out quickly, the stimulus would've been very different. and that's just a start. We elect him and he works for us. But we gave him the job because we trusted he could lead the country, and that we could trust he'd act in the country's best interest.
NWO

New York, NY

#21 Sep 29, 2011
<quoted text>
I am not naïve, I don't have any illusions about our government. Yes, there is a lot of corruption on the left and right. But it's nothing like China. Do you know what it's like over there. The government has no limits on it's power. No warrants, no one reads you your rights if you're arrested. They don't even have to have a reason. They can take anything you have. If you are religious you'll be lucky to be one of the few religious groups that are "tolerated"
A poor county means no indoor plumbing, and scraping together enough food to eat. Younger people have to go to the cities because there's no work in the rural areas. They go to the cities hoping to make enough to send some home. The average work day is 12 hrs. 6 days a week if they're lucky. If they get sick they can lose their job, and there's little done to protect the worker's health from toxic chemicals,and hazardous work conditions in fact if you lost an arm at work then you fired with not a penny.
So, unless your children have to work in a factory where they are exposed to mercury, lead, exhaust fumes, and a long list of carcinogens just to help feed his family then I don't even want to hear you say we have it just as bad here.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_crime/2011...

United States

#22 Oct 1, 2011
NWO wrote:
What happened in NYC is criminal, and the guy is a douchekabob. However here people are outraged and are able to express that. If this was China they wouldn't be able to show it on tv, much less criticize the police. And protestors don't get pepper-sprayed, they go to jail or get shot. It's not even on the same level.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
7 Letter Word, Change 1 Letter (Oct '15) 4 min andet1987 1,485
Interesting Quotes (Jun '11) 8 min Phaerae 17,370
Denny Crain's Place (May '10) 9 min Out of KANSAS 24,073
3 Word Advice (Good or Bad) (Dec '14) 10 min Parden Pard 5,720
Start a sentence in alphabetical order.. (Oct '16) 13 min Parden Pard 3,554
Poll What are you thinking right now? (May '08) 16 min MyLittleSecret 4,671
What Turns You Off? (Jan '17) 17 min DaveMC 986
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 3 hr Mister_ E 220,928
A to Z songs by title or group! (Dec '16) 4 hr Mister_ E 2,161
More from around the web