Next Last

“I know where you are,”

Level 8

Since: Jun 08

Right here under my thumb

#1 May 2, 2013
Petition to remake Confederate monument splits Georgians
By Claudine Zap | The Lookout

Depending on whom you ask, the enormous monument carved into Georgia's Stone Mountain is either a proud statement or a blight and an embarrassment.

Depicting the only president of the Confederate States, Jefferson Davis, riding beside Gens. Robert E. Lee and Stonewall Jackson, it's two football fields wide, making it the largest of its kind.

The NBC station 11 Alive reports that a petition that seeks to remake this famous—and infamous—landmark is causing controversy.

"It's almost like a black eye or an embarrassing smudge on our culture," the petition's creator, McCartney Forde, told local 11.

Forde's online petition on Change.org calls for changes to be made to the mountainside carving, first conceived in 1923 by a charter member of the Daughters of the Confederacy but not completed until 1972.

He writes,“The three men embossed on the face of arguably the most famous landmark in the great state of Georgia are icons for what is widely considered the darkest period in our nation’s history.... It is a monument that perpetuates the perception of Georgia as an icon of racism, slavery and oppression.”

Forde suggests that the current carving be removed and replaced with a monument to Georgia veterans.

So far, just 164 people have signed the petition, but the quest seems to be as controversial as the monument itself.

"We should not erase history," Calvin Johnson, Jr., a member of the Sons of Confederate Veterans, told the news station.

He added, "These guys [were] regarded very highly in the North and South after the War Between the States, and it's only been the last 30 or 40 years that I think what you call revisionist history began in this country."

Symbols of the Confederacy, which to many represent the pro-slavery history of the South, continue to stir up debate. A song by country singer Brad Paisley,“Accidental Racist,” recently caused an outcry because, among other things, it seemed to defend his wearing of a Confederate flag T-shirt.

"The only thing I meant to say is I'm a Skynyrd fan,” he sings.

I've been there numerous times for the laser light shows - if it is racist, then somebody didn't inform the mostly black crowds of that. But I must admit - some parts of the show did strike me as a little racist.

“Never summon "Anything" ....”

Level 7

Since: Feb 11

..... you can't banish, lol

#2 May 2, 2013
Ridiculous waste of time.
Some people need to get a hobby.

“I know where you are,”

Level 8

#3 May 2, 2013
Fish_sticks wrote:
Ridiculous waste of time.
Some people need to get a hobby.
Lol!!!

I posted this especially for you Bex.

:o)
Level 4

Since: Feb 13

Location hidden

#4 May 2, 2013
I say keep it!
If you erase the past there is nothing to remember. Those men represent more than just a fight over slavery but time of great change in America. This country's struggles make it what it is even if some were good, bad, or ugly.
SLACK

Ludington, MI

#5 May 2, 2013
not as bad as the cops in Sanford Fla

Level 7

#6 May 2, 2013
milwaukee69 wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol!!!
I posted this especially for you Bex.
:o)
LOL! You would!

You need to leave us rednecks alone, lol.

“I know where you are,”

Level 8

#7 May 2, 2013
Fish_sticks wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL! You would!
You need to leave us rednecks alone, lol.
I like watching the blacksmith.

Level 9

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#8 May 2, 2013
For Pete's sake. Racism was started in the South with their little ol' plantations - and still flourishes. And nobody is going to take it away from them.

“I know where you are,”

Level 8

#9 May 2, 2013
quilterqueen wrote:
For Pete's sake. Racism was started in the South with their little ol' plantations - and still flourishes. And nobody is going to take it away from them.
Yeah!!! Right on!!!

Long live racism!!!!!

8-|

Level 7

#10 May 2, 2013
quilterqueen wrote:
Racism was not founded in the south, it's always been world wide.

“ASPIRE 2 INSPIRE B4 U EXPIRE”

Level 8

Since: Jul 08

USA

#11 May 2, 2013
quilterqueen wrote:
Racism existed long before America was "discovered". It has been with us since before recorded time.
The Stone mountain edifice is not any more racist than Mount Rushmore, or the Crazy Horse monument. They each are modern mans way to express feelings of love, honor, respect and admiration for certain ancestors.

“I know where you are,”

Level 8

#12 May 2, 2013
Fish_sticks wrote:
<quoted text>
Racism was not founded in the south, it's always been world wide.
But, but, but...QQ is always right, right?

Oh wait - I think that's supposed to be wrong, right?

“I know where you are,”

Level 8

#13 May 2, 2013
"A large group of robed and hooded men stood met at Stone Mountain in November 1915 to start the second incarnation of the KKK. The second KKK (and the worst, known for lynching and other horrible murders) was founded at Stone Mountain. From then on the area became a place for KKK celebrations and events. The KKK, with support from United Daughters of the Confederacy decided that they wanted a monument to honor the Confederate soldiers and America’s white heritage. Founder of the second movement of the KKK, William J. Simmons, helped support the monument. It was the KKK that wanted the monument built and they had it built. That "monument" represents the KKK, racism, hate and opression."

Although indeed a tourist attraction - many visitors do not know the history of this site.
SLACK

Ludington, MI

#14 May 2, 2013
quilterqueen wrote:
it started in the south?

“Don't harsh my mellow, man!”

Level 8

Since: Aug 08

Great State of Oklahoma!

#15 May 2, 2013
REDNECK HIPPIE wrote:
<quoted text>
Racism existed long before America was "discovered". It has been with us since before recorded time.
The Stone mountain edifice is not any more racist than Mount Rushmore, or the Crazy Horse monument. They each are modern mans way to express feelings of love, honor, respect and admiration for certain ancestors.
I wish I had a prop left!
I've been to Stone Mtn several times, seen the laser show more than once, taken the railroad around the base of the mtn, taken the skytram to the top of the mtn, done almost everything there is to do there. It's a very historical place and the carving doesn't need to be "re-done".
Just my two cents!
Chicago Blues

United States

#17 May 2, 2013
Rick Perry wrote:
Racism may not have started in the south but, darn tootin'- we perfected it!
FACTS

1. You're in Northern Illinois/

2. Democrats favored/passed "Jim Crow" laws

3. Democrats started the KKK.

4. Democrats voted against their now beloved civil rights legislation.

5. Martin Luther King was a Republican.

6. Most Blacks were Republican after The Civil War.

7. Democrats have spent the last 100 years trying to put Blacks back on the "plantation" of government reliance.

8. Did I mention that Martin Luther King was a Republican?

9. Did I mention that the Democrats started the KKK?

10. Did I mention that you are an idiot?

“Geaux Tigers!”

Level 9

Since: Jun 12

Down on the bayou

#18 May 2, 2013
Rick Perry wrote:
Racism may not have started in the south but, darn tootin'- we perfected it!
Yep, South Roselle Road - home of many a Klans-man. LoL.
Level 5

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#19 May 2, 2013
It's a Southern thing and they are the only ones who understand what the poop is all about.
Bad loosers and they want a rematch to win a war that was as useless as the Vietaman war was.

Level 7

#20 May 2, 2013
Nursingmommys5 wrote:
It's a Southern thing and they are the only ones who understand what the poop is all about.
Bad loosers and they want a rematch to win a war that was as useless as the Vietaman war was.
Huh?

Level 9

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#21 May 3, 2013
I was joking, folks.
Tongue in cheek.

I lived in GA twice - 5 years each time, and I saw SO much racism. Coming from the West - it was weird to me.

Blacks and white get along pretty well in the military but once you step off post - it is different.

I know it started centuries ago and I realize that white man thinks they are superior. It has caused problems since the beginning. I seriously think it another of God's tests to see how we react.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
CHANGE One letter CHANCE (Sep '08) 6 min Doug77 30,070
Last 3 Letters into 3 new words. (Dec '08) 6 min andet1987 55,320
Make a Story / 4 Words Only (Nov '08) 8 min Bree_Z 24,847
Keep a Word.....Drop a Word Game (Sep '13) 10 min andet1987 6,906
Funny!! Word association game. (Nov '13) 13 min Bree_Z 2,190
Only Three Word (Nov '09) 14 min andet1987 11,645
3 Word Advice (Good or Bad) 21 min andet1987 321
Change-one-of-six-letters (Dec '12) 24 min Doug77 4,045
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 24 min Crazy Beautiful 152,776
What are you thinking about now? (Jun '10) 49 min Word by Word 25,842
BAN(N) the P0STER Above you !!! (Feb '14) 52 min Chilli J 3,014
More from around the web