Man jailed after charging cell phone

Man jailed after charging cell phone

There are 33 comments on the WANE-TV Fort Wayne story from Nov 13, 2012, titled Man jailed after charging cell phone. In it, WANE-TV Fort Wayne reports that:

A homeless man spent the night in a southwest Florida jail after a police officer accused him of stealing by charging his cell phone at a public park.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WANE-TV Fort Wayne.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“....VETS”

Level 9

Since: Jan 08

WELCOME HOME

#1 Nov 13, 2012
good call by the Judge ......
Gunner

Muskogee, OK

#2 Nov 13, 2012
Maybe the cop thought the guy could use a hot meal, a shower and a bed for one night. Still, I agree. Good call by the judge.

“I know where you are,”

Level 8

Since: Jun 08

Right here under my thumb

#3 Nov 13, 2012
Must've been an Iphone 5.

8-|

“Pompous pontificator”

Level 5

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

#4 Nov 13, 2012
If you think cops are 'peace officers', you had-better wake up. There are several reasons cops are becoming ruthless, dangerous, and petty these days: government treasuries are dwindling, just-like for the rest of us; cops have incentives (quotas) to reach and get 'points' for every arrest...more for felonies; and the gene-pool of recruits has been diluted by less qualified entrants, some with a propensity to get on power trips and become thuggish/brutal for the sport of it. The militarization of police departments under the flag of Homeland Security only inflates these egocentric cops' sence of importance and causes even more devastation among the citizenry.

A tipping point is near and their leaders will get tired of paying out on lost lawsuits; and some cops may even get hurt when some citizens push back. It's not my intention to paint all cops with the same brush, nor do I espouse any illegal actions. As in every walk of life, there are honorable people with high moral principles. It's unfortunate that some of them are pressured to dishonor their oaths.
Gunner

Muskogee, OK

#5 Nov 13, 2012
milwaukee69 wrote:
Must've been an Iphone 5.
8-|
Wonder if there's an app for solar charging on that?

Level 6

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#6 Nov 13, 2012
milwaukee69 wrote:
Must've been an Iphone 5.
8-|
Probably an Obama phone.

This is one of the rare instances when I think a person should sue a city, especially a city that hires such stupid and arrogant police officers.

“I know where you are,”

Level 8

Since: Jun 08

Right here under my thumb

#7 Nov 13, 2012
Gunner wrote:
<quoted text>
Wonder if there's an app for solar charging on that?
No, but there is a solar-powered cover.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/iSolarPlus-iPhone-3...
Gunner

Muskogee, OK

#8 Nov 13, 2012
milwaukee69 wrote:
<quoted text>
No, but there is a solar-powered cover.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/iSolarPlus-iPhone-3...
That's a pretty neat idea, but for $80, a little steep. If you were trapped somewhere you could get help and not run out of power.(I like that show, "I Survived") I'll have to remember this.:)

Level 6

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#9 Nov 13, 2012
Gunner wrote:
<quoted text>
That's a pretty neat idea, but for $80, a little steep. If you were trapped somewhere you could get help and not run out of power.(I like that show, "I Survived") I'll have to remember this.:)
Amazon has solar cellphone chargers for $20.

Not as "pretty" but effective.

“hellshade”

Level 5

Since: Jul 07

Location hidden

#10 Nov 13, 2012
not for nothing but this cop was a dick. it's a public park. that means the amenities there are available to the public.and even if they are'nt the cop was still a dick how much power is being usd to charge a cellphone? seriously a lot of cops have no brains whatsoever...

“We're all Bozos on this bus”

Since: Jan 07

Indianapolis, IN

#11 Nov 13, 2012
Surely he could have found some cocanuts and bamboo to make his own pedal-powered battery charger. I remember seeing The Professor make one and that was back in the primitive 1960's
Gunner

Muskogee, OK

#12 Nov 13, 2012
Uh Clem wrote:
Surely he could have found some cocanuts and bamboo to make his own pedal-powered battery charger. I remember seeing The Professor make one and that was back in the primitive 1960's
True. But no coconuts there. Remember Mary Anne pedaling that thing in short shorts? I just wonder what it cost to charge your phone like that. What, 10, 15 cents?
Gunner

Muskogee, OK

#13 Nov 13, 2012
Bama Yankee wrote:
<quoted text>
Amazon has solar cellphone chargers for $20.
Not as "pretty" but effective.
Thanks.:) Maybe some kind person will get him one so he doesn't get arrested for costing the city 15 cents.

“....VETS”

Level 9

Since: Jan 08

WELCOME HOME

#14 Nov 13, 2012
centereach ny wrote:
not for nothing but this cop was a dick. it's a public park. that means the amenities there are available to the public.and even if they are'nt the cop was still a dick how much power is being usd to charge a cellphone? seriously a lot of cops have no brains whatsoever...
small possibility the park was closed , after hours

public means it is paid for by tax money .... not a right to do what you wish
Gunner

Muskogee, OK

#15 Nov 13, 2012
tallyho wrote:
<quoted text>
small possibility the park was closed , after hours
public means it is paid for by tax money .... not a right to do what you wish
If there's an electrical outlet there with no sign saying "Thou Shalt Not Charge Cell Phones!" Maybe.

But he wasn't causing damage or stealing. And he wasn't arrested for loitering after the park closed. I think the judge got it right. The arrest was unwarranted. Throw it out.

“....VETS”

Level 9

Since: Jan 08

WELCOME HOME

#16 Nov 13, 2012
Gunner wrote:
<quoted text>
If there's an electrical outlet there with no sign saying "Thou Shalt Not Charge Cell Phones!" Maybe.
But he wasn't causing damage or stealing. And he wasn't arrested for loitering after the park closed. I think the judge got it right. The arrest was unwarranted. Throw it out.
not arguing the point ...stating a fact in some cases ..Public isn't a license to do what you want.... you don't own it the tax payer does ... and we don't know what the town ordinance is on the hours of the park

Level 6

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#17 Nov 13, 2012
tallyho wrote:
<quoted text>
not arguing the point ...stating a fact in some cases ..Public isn't a license to do what you want.... you don't own it the tax payer does ... and we don't know what the town ordinance is on the hours of the park
The downtown neighborhood of Gillespie Park has one of the largest parks in Sarasota. It is equipped with a large playground, walking trail, tennis court and basketball court.

Hours: 5am - 11pm
Parking: On-street: free
Features: Benches, Grills, Picnic pavilions, Picnic tables, Playgrounds, Public art
Features: Jungle gym, See-saw, Slides, Swings

“Where am I?”

Level 2

Since: Jun 11

Boll Weevil Arkansas

#18 Nov 13, 2012
Arrested on Sunday evening. I guess that leaves out the idea he was in there after the park closed at 11. So the only other answer would be the cop was just freakin cranky that night and was itchin to do some extra paperwork. Maybe he just needed a beer! Bring him on over. I'll have a talk with him.

“We're all Bozos on this bus”

Since: Jan 07

Indianapolis, IN

#19 Nov 13, 2012
It was either charge the phone or shake his winkie at kids on the seesaw. He made a smart choice.

“We're all Bozos on this bus”

Since: Jan 07

Indianapolis, IN

#20 Nov 13, 2012
But it's possible he was planning to take pics of himself shaking his winkie after the phone charged up some more.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 18 min Mister_ E 169,719
4 Word Game (Use Same Letter) (Dec '14) 29 min andet1987 885
3 Word Advice (Good or Bad) (Dec '14) 32 min Crazy Beautiful 2,640
This or That (Jul '10) 35 min andet1987 8,200
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 36 min Blitzking 174,078
The last word in the sentence must rhyme with t... 44 min andet1987 48
Last 3 Letters into 3 new words. (Dec '08) 47 min whatimeisit 57,766
Word Association 2 (Sep '13) 1 hr whatimeisit 13,434
JUST SAY SOMETHING. Whatever comes to mind!! (Aug '09) 3 hr KNIGHT DeVINE 29,783
2015: "Make a Story/ 6 Words Only: 3 hr Brother Larry 2,602
LOVE and OTHER BRUISES (Apr '12) 4 hr Crazy Jae 1,442
More from around the web