Circus elephant shot in drive-by shot in Miss.

Apr 9, 2013 Full story: Denver Post 105

Authorities say a Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus elephant was hit by a bullet in a drive-by shooting in Tupelo, Miss.

Full Story

“I was a Grim Reaper”

Level 8

Since: Apr 07

But now I take antidepressants

#42 Apr 10, 2013
Lawrence Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>It was your use of the word "instill" that scared me. It sounds like indoctrination or brainwashing, which I believe can be very harmful to children.
It's true that I was speaking more generally, and that when it comes to the use of condoms, most kids will not require any special training. My larger point is that some parents have acquired some constricting biases from their own parents, and therefore may not be the best source of parental wisdom.
I believe that it is best for the parent to provide the room for their children to think independently, and develop their own relationships with life. That is not to say that we shouldn't provide some loose guidelines on how to make life a pleasant and purposeful experience. But we need to get in touch with our own negative prejudices, and not pass them on.
Does that mean you'd be happy if your son turned out to be a right wing Republican?
Ms Fawn

Tupelo, MS

#43 Apr 10, 2013
LOST IN MISSISSIPPI wrote:
<quoted text>perhaps sterilizing the decedents of those that perpetrated the farce in black areas known as public education
how do you like that solution?
lol
ha ha
Public education is nothing but corporate brainwashing to make consumers and workers. Stop forcing people to pay for corporate controlled education. Ever hear of a Mississippi appendectomy?
Ms Fawn

Tupelo, MS

#44 Apr 10, 2013
Billy R wrote:
<quoted text>You missed my point, I'm afraid. I was responding to someone that was upset because the schools didn't teach students how to use condoms properly.
Schools have not taught anything in 50 years they have trained children that is not education that is job training.

“Happiness comes through giving”

Level 7

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#45 Apr 10, 2013
Billy R wrote:
<quoted text>Does that mean you'd be happy if your son turned out to be a right wing Republican?
No, I believe if my son isn't taught to hate, there is very little danger of that.
Ms Fawn

Tupelo, MS

#46 Apr 10, 2013
LOST IN MISSISSIPPI wrote:
<quoted text>did you go to a public or private school?
You must of went to public school as they only expect multiple choice answers. Fact is I have a varied education from many places including public private tutors parents home school, exchange student and life long learning with mentors.

PS my computer locks up on this site sometimes and does not allow typing corrections.

“I was a Grim Reaper”

Level 8

Since: Apr 07

But now I take antidepressants

#47 Apr 10, 2013
Ms Fawn wrote:
<quoted text>
Schools have not taught anything in 50 years they have trained children that is not education that is job training.
You are absolutely correct. Thats why my daughter goes to a private school.
Ms Fawn

Tupelo, MS

#48 Apr 10, 2013
Billy R wrote:
<quoted text>My solution is simple. Parents need to be involved in their childrens lives, if a childs hero is a sports star or entertainer, that parent has failed. If the child has to get its values and morals from the schools or government the parent has also failed.
Society has failed when it puts consumption as the way to have happiness. Most children do not have parents, they have suppliers.

How can a parent find the time to be involved when they have to work several jobs to keep above water?
Ms Fawn

Tupelo, MS

#49 Apr 10, 2013
Mr Reef wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh bullcrap! If your sons have read your Topix post they've been exposed to your vile insults, small minded world view and endless liberal dogma. Plus there's your use of racist jargon when you call people "baboons" and less than human, like some Nazi or hick from the sticks.
Your a short-tempered jerk with potty/racist mouth, nothing more.
Godwin's Law
Ms Fawn

Tupelo, MS

#50 Apr 10, 2013
Lawrence Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>No, I believe if my son isn't taught to hate, there is very little danger of that.
It is not the emotion hate that is a problem it is acting on emotion rather than objective rational information. Controlling emotions is also the parents responsibility.

“I was a Grim Reaper”

Level 8

Since: Apr 07

But now I take antidepressants

#51 Apr 10, 2013
Lawrence Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>No, I believe if my son isn't taught to hate, there is very little danger of that.
So I guess you don't believe in "Loose Guidelines" after all.
LOST IN MISSISSIPPI

Ludington, MI

#52 Apr 10, 2013
Ms Fawn wrote:
<quoted text>
You must of went to public school as they only expect multiple choice answers. Fact is I have a varied education from many places including public private tutors parents home school, exchange student and life long learning with mentors.
PS my computer locks up on this site sometimes and does not allow typing corrections.
please
k-12
Ms Fawn

Tupelo, MS

#53 Apr 10, 2013
Billy R wrote:
<quoted text>You are absolutely correct. Thats why my daughter goes to a private school.
Private schools have an agenda also.
LOST IN MISSISSIPPI

Ludington, MI

#54 Apr 10, 2013
Ms Fawn wrote:
<quoted text>
Society has failed when it puts consumption as the way to have happiness. Most children do not have parents, they have suppliers.
I see the home skool in ya

“I know where you are,”

Level 8

Since: Jun 08

Right here under my thumb

#55 Apr 10, 2013
Ms Fawn wrote:
<quoted text>
Someone in poverty that is frustrated and high. It happens every week in Tupelo. We have a leadership that keeps cheap labor. 60% of the children are born to a single parent. The state stops them from terminating the fetus. The minority out numbers the rednecks.
Tupelo, MS
Population - 37,559 (2010)

Income Less Than 15K 15.55%
US - 12.37%
Income between 15K and 25K 11.08%
US - 10.53%
Income between 25K and 35K 12.29%
US - 10.88%
Income between 35K and 50K 16.11%
US - 15.37%
Income between 50K and 75K 19.82%
US - 20.14%
Income between 75K and 100K 11.41%
US - 12.41%
Income between 100K and 150K 8.34%
US - 11.27%
Income between 150K and 250K 3.51%
US - 5.01%
Income between 250K and 500K 1.74%
US - 1.86%
Income greater than 500K 0.16%
US - 0.16%

The unemployment rate in Tupelo, MS, is 10.10%
US - 8.6%
Job growth of 5.45%
US -.35%
Future job growth over the next ten years is predicted to be 40.80%
US - 32.10%

Tupelo, MS,sales tax rate is 7.25%.
Income tax is 5.00%.

The income per capita is $25,098, which includes all adults and children.
US -$26,154

**********
There are 2,869 single-parent households (367 men, 2,502 women).
in Tupelo, MS (8%)
**********
There are a total of 28,425 households in Tupelo, MS (92%)
**********
There is a total of 4,880 non-family households in Tupelo, MS
**********

TUPELO The small town where I am from,
Gets its name from the Tupelo Gum.
No matter where in the world
That I might roam
This is the place that I call home.

“I was a Grim Reaper”

Level 8

Since: Apr 07

But now I take antidepressants

#56 Apr 10, 2013
Ms Fawn wrote:
<quoted text>
Society has failed when it puts consumption as the way to have happiness. Most children do not have parents, they have suppliers.
How can a parent find the time to be involved when they have to work several jobs to keep above water?
Absolutely. When the road to happiness consists of buying the correct consumer goods, true peace and happiness will never occur.Because some new "toy" comes out every single day.....Being a single parent would be tough, no doubt about it. I know a number of ladies whose husband (or boyfriend) ran out on them and their kids. Those ladies have to work their butts off just to stay afloat. My hat is off to any of them that are trying their best.

“Happiness comes through giving”

Level 7

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#57 Apr 10, 2013
Ms Fawn wrote:
<quoted text>
It is not the emotion hate that is a problem it is acting on emotion rather than objective rational information. Controlling emotions is also the parents responsibility.
Emotions, by their very nature, cannot be "controlled". However, they can be suppressed. The consequences of doing so can be explosive. Suppressed hate, taken to an extreme, can result in violence, or worse.

“I know where you are,”

Level 8

Since: Jun 08

Right here under my thumb

#58 Apr 10, 2013
Ms Fawn wrote:
<quoted text>
Someone in poverty that is frustrated and high. It happens every week in Tupelo. We have a leadership that keeps cheap labor. 60% of the children are born to a single parent. The state stops them from terminating the fetus. The minority out numbers the rednecks.
Gotta' ask, where do you get your statistics from?

Tupelo, MS

Ethnicity

United States or American: 6066

English: 2609

Irish: 2232

German: 1159

Scotch-Irish: 763

Scottish: 655

African: 386

Subsaharan African:: 386

French (except Basque): 319

European: 262

Italian: 239

Dutch: 188

Norwegian: 129

Polish: 93

Welsh: 89

British: 87

Swedish: 82

French Canadian: 48

Hungarian: 46

Czech: 40

Canadian: 38

Arab:: 38

Greek: 38

Latvian: 32

Swiss: 25

Lebanese: 24

Croatian: 22

Russian: 21

Danish: 20

Syrian: 14

Pennsylvania German: 10

Celtic: 9

Austrian: 8

Finnish: 8

Slovak: 7

Czechoslovakian: 7

Ukrainian: 7

Belgian: 6

Northern European: 6

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/housing/houses-Tupel...

“I was a Grim Reaper”

Level 8

Since: Apr 07

But now I take antidepressants

#59 Apr 10, 2013
Ms Fawn wrote:
<quoted text>
Private schools have an agenda also.
But the parents can control that agenda (at least to a great degree). The public schools don't seem to care about the parents wishes
LOST IN MISSISSIPPI

Ludington, MI

#60 Apr 10, 2013
milwaukee69 wrote:
<quoted text>
Tupelo, MS
Population - 37,559 (2010)
Income Less Than 15K 15.55%
US - 12.37%
Income between 15K and 25K 11.08%
US - 10.53%
Income between 25K and 35K 12.29%
US - 10.88%
Income between 35K and 50K 16.11%
US - 15.37%
Income between 50K and 75K 19.82%
US - 20.14%
Income between 75K and 100K 11.41%
US - 12.41%
Income between 100K and 150K 8.34%
US - 11.27%
Income between 150K and 250K 3.51%
US - 5.01%
Income between 250K and 500K 1.74%
US - 1.86%
Income greater than 500K 0.16%
US - 0.16%
The unemployment rate in Tupelo, MS, is 10.10%
US - 8.6%
Job growth of 5.45%
US -.35%
Future job growth over the next ten years is predicted to be 40.80%
US - 32.10%
Tupelo, MS,sales tax rate is 7.25%.
Income tax is 5.00%.
The income per capita is $25,098, which includes all adults and children.
US -$26,154
**********
There are 2,869 single-parent households (367 men, 2,502 women).
in Tupelo, MS (8%)
**********
There are a total of 28,425 households in Tupelo, MS (92%)
**********
There is a total of 4,880 non-family households in Tupelo, MS
**********
TUPELO The small town where I am from,
Gets its name from the Tupelo Gum.
No matter where in the world
That I might roam
This is the place that I call home.
THUMBS UP
LOST IN MISSISSIPPI

Ludington, MI

#61 Apr 10, 2013
"Total population: 36,336 (Urban population: 33,789 (all inside urban clusters), Rural population: 2,547 (14 farm, 2,534 nonfarm))"

14 farm?

wow have things changed

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Word association (Jun '07) 3 min andet1987 2,609
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 4 min Hidingfromyou 132,077
Word Association (Jun '10) 5 min andet1987 26,371
Is it possible to....... 7 min andet1987 541
Create "short sentences using the last word" (Aug '12) 12 min andet1987 7,576
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 13 min Roy 152,413
Last Post Wins! (Aug '08) 18 min andet1987 138,323
Let's Play Song Titles With One Word? 22 min Princess Hey 159
What are you thinking about now? (Jun '10) 1 hr veteran of war god 25,561
Merry Christmas Topix, Thanks For,...? 1 hr -Lea- 113
"OLD SAYINGS" - - - Feel free to post them here... 2 hr Old Sam 76
More from around the web