Circus elephant shot in drive-by shot in Miss.

Apr 9, 2013 Full story: Denver Post 105

Authorities say a Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus elephant was hit by a bullet in a drive-by shooting in Tupelo, Miss.

Full Story

“I know where you are,”

Level 8

Since: Jun 08

Right here under my thumb

#22 Apr 10, 2013
Old Sam wrote:
...how do you get down from an elephant......
In Russia, you don't get down from elephant, elephant get down by himself.

Action News 11

Medford, NY

#23 Apr 10, 2013
NEWS UPDATE:
Based on further analysis, there was no elephant injured by a drive by shooting. Oprah was admitted to the local hospital with a flesh wound of the thigh, it may take days to find the bullet.
Ms Fawn

Tupelo, MS

#24 Apr 10, 2013
centereach ny wrote:
probably a redneck drive by. they saw something with dark skin and started throwing bullets...
Someone in poverty that is frustrated and high. It happens every week in Tupelo. We have a leadership that keeps cheap labor. 60% of the children are born to a single parent. The state stops them from terminating the fetus. The minority out numbers the rednecks.

“I was a Grim Reaper”

Level 8

Since: Apr 07

But now I take antidepressants

#25 Apr 10, 2013
I wonder if the shooters had gold tusks?
LOST IN MISSISSIPPI

Ludington, MI

#26 Apr 10, 2013
Ms Fawn wrote:
<quoted text>
Someone in poverty that is frustrated and high. It happens every week in Tupelo. We have a leadership that keeps cheap labor. 60% of the children are born to a single parent. The state stops them from terminating the fetus. The minority out numbers the rednecks.
ever heard of a condom?
churchwithnostan dards

Tupelo, MS

#27 Apr 10, 2013
centereach ny wrote:
probably a redneck driveby. they saw something with dark skin and started throwing bullets...
No thats the NYCPD.
Ms Fawn

Tupelo, MS

#28 Apr 10, 2013
LOST IN MISSISSIPPI wrote:
<quoted text>ever heard of a condom?
Condoms are not 100% effective and do not stop rape and making children that are not able to be supported. Many can not afford condoms after they bought drugs. The schools are not teaching condom use or responsibility. Try again.
LOST IN MISSISSIPPI

Ludington, MI

#29 Apr 10, 2013
Ms Fawn wrote:
<quoted text>
Condoms are not 100% effective and do not stop rape and making children that are not able to be supported. Many can not afford condoms after they bought drugs. The schools are not teaching condom use or responsibility. Try again.
quite a stretch
wellwell

Tupelo, MS

#30 Apr 10, 2013
Do not know how we got on this subject but here is my two cents worth. We do not have sexual education in the schools like we should. Instead our governor and elected officials want to go against the grain. They sign a law that always will allow the big gulps (granted that was a little over the top) and to allow prayer in school (that will come back to bite some a**) and other crazy sh*t like this. We are always going to be the last in good and first in bad and stupid.

“I was a Grim Reaper”

Level 8

Since: Apr 07

But now I take antidepressants

#31 Apr 10, 2013
wellwell wrote:
Do not know how we got on this subject but here is my two cents worth. We do not have sexual education in the schools like we should. Instead our governor and elected officials want to go against the grain. They sign a law that always will allow the big gulps (granted that was a little over the top) and to allow prayer in school (that will come back to bite some a**) and other crazy sh*t like this. We are always going to be the last in good and first in bad and stupid.
Don't you feel that it is the parents job to instill values in the children?
Ms Fawn

Tupelo, MS

#32 Apr 10, 2013
"Don't you feel that it is the parents job to instill values in the children? "
==========
In a perfect world parents are 100% responsible for children they create. Now 60% of the children are born to a single parent that many can not even afford to feed the child. many never had an education themselves and do not have the foggiest idea of how to bring up children much less than teach good values.

Children are learning their values from entertainment and bad examples human behavior.
Do you have a solution? Perhaps sterilization unless they pass a standardized test? LOL

“Happiness comes through giving”

Level 7

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#33 Apr 10, 2013
Billy R wrote:
<quoted text>Don't you feel that it is the parents job to instill values in the children?
Not if they're the "values" of hate and bigotry.

The values I have discussed with my sons are the importance of thinking for oneself, to try to recognize that most all people have similar human needs, and that kindness to others enhances one's own feeling of self-worth.

However, if by "instill" you mean "program", I think you'd be doing your child a great disservice.

“I was a Grim Reaper”

Level 8

Since: Apr 07

But now I take antidepressants

#34 Apr 10, 2013
Lawrence Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>Not if they're the "values" of hate and bigotry.
The values I have discussed with my sons are the importance of thinking for oneself, to try to recognize that most all people have similar human needs, and that kindness to others enhances one's own feeling of self-worth.
However, if by "instill" you mean "program", I think you'd be doing your child a great disservice.
You missed my point, I'm afraid. I was responding to someone that was upset because the schools didn't teach students how to use condoms properly.
LOST IN MISSISSIPPI

Ludington, MI

#35 Apr 10, 2013
Ms Fawn wrote:
"Don't you feel that it is the parents job to instill values in the children? "
==========
In a perfect world parents are 100% responsible for children they create. Now 60% of the children are born to a single parent that many can not even afford to feed the child. many never had an education themselves and do not have the foggiest idea of how to bring up children much less than teach good values.
Children are learning their values from entertainment and bad examples human behavior.
Do you have a solution? Perhaps sterilization unless they pass a standardized test? LOL
prehaps sterilizing the decedents of those that perpetrated the farce in black areas known as public education

how do you like that solution?
lol

ha ha
LOST IN MISSISSIPPI

Ludington, MI

#36 Apr 10, 2013
Ms Fawn wrote:
"Don't you feel that it is the parents job to instill values in the children? "
==========
In a perfect world parents are 100% responsible for children they create. Now 60% of the children are born to a single parent that many can not even afford to feed the child. many never had an education themselves and do not have the foggiest idea of how to bring up children much less than teach good values.
Children are learning their values from entertainment and bad examples human behavior.
Do you have a solution? Perhaps sterilization unless they pass a standardized test? LOL
did you go to a public or private school?

“I was a Grim Reaper”

Level 8

Since: Apr 07

But now I take antidepressants

#37 Apr 10, 2013
Ms Fawn wrote:
"Don't you feel that it is the parents job to instill values in the children? "
==========
In a perfect world parents are 100% responsible for children they create. Now 60% of the children are born to a single parent that many can not even afford to feed the child. many never had an education themselves and do not have the foggiest idea of how to bring up children much less than teach good values.
Children are learning their values from entertainment and bad examples human behavior.
Do you have a solution? Perhaps sterilization unless they pass a standardized test? LOL
My solution is simple. Parents need to be involved in their childrens lives, if a childs hero is a sports star or entertainer, that parent has failed. If the child has to get its values and morals from the schools or government the parent has also failed.
Mr Reef

New York, NY

#38 Apr 10, 2013
Lawrence Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>Not if they're the "values" of hate and bigotry.
The values I have discussed with my sons are the importance of thinking for oneself, to try to recognize that most all people have similar human needs, and that kindness to others enhances one's own feeling of self-worth.
However, if by "instill" you mean "program", I think you'd be doing your child a great disservice.
Oh bullcrap! If your sons have read your Topix post they've been exposed to your vile insults, small minded world view and endless liberal dogma. Plus there's your use of racist jargon when you call people "baboons" and less than human, like some Nazi or hick from the sticks.

Your a short-tempered jerk with potty/racist mouth, nothing more.
Paris Hilton

Medford, NY

#39 Apr 10, 2013
LOST IN MISSISSIPPI wrote:
<quoted text>ever heard of a condom?
I don't think putting a condom on the elephant would have helped him in this situation.

“Happiness comes through giving”

Level 7

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#40 Apr 10, 2013
Billy R wrote:
<quoted text>You missed my point, I'm afraid. I was responding to someone that was upset because the schools didn't teach students how to use condoms properly.
It was your use of the word "instill" that scared me. It sounds like indoctrination or brainwashing, which I believe can be very harmful to children.

It's true that I was speaking more generally, and that when it comes to the use of condoms, most kids will not require any special training. My larger point is that some parents have acquired some constricting biases from their own parents, and therefore may not be the best source of parental wisdom.

I believe that it is best for the parent to provide the room for their children to think independently, and develop their own relationships with life. That is not to say that we shouldn't provide some loose guidelines on how to make life a pleasant and purposeful experience. But we need to get in touch with our own negative prejudices, and not pass them on.

“Happiness comes through giving”

Level 7

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#41 Apr 10, 2013
Mr Reef wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh bullcrap! If your sons have read your Topix post they've been exposed to your vile insults, small minded world view and endless liberal dogma. Plus there's your use of racist jargon when you call people "baboons" and less than human, like some Nazi or hick from the sticks.
Your a short-tempered jerk with potty/racist mouth, nothing more.
Now don't forget to wipe.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Top Deal Breakers in Relationships (Feb '13) 8 min Petal Power 819
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 12 min Chilli J 116,807
Do It Obama! 14 min Petal Power 3
For Dear FlowerChild (Dec '07) 15 min Fisherman 808 23,860
The N-word: 17 min Petal Power 142
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 18 min Petal Power 147,037
Texas Governor Rick Perry Indicted 19 min Jack 282
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 23 min Petal Power 36,522
I love you because.............. (Mar '09) 27 min Petal Power 4,473
What are you thinking about now? (Jun '10) 29 min Hoosier daddy 20,616
What's your tip for the day? 1 hr Petal Power 1,081
•••

Weird People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••