“near Halloween.”

Level 8

Since: Dec 06

#1 Aug 5, 2013
My dog had a deepish cut in the paw pad,

I brought her to the vet,
who treated it and then prescribed an anti biotic,
to stave off infection..

The antibiotic is called KEFLEX(Cephalexin)

I noticed .. when reading the encl. leaflet that it can
be prescribed for humans and animals alike,
so, with curiosity I checked it out on line,
And was stunned to find this>

http://www.topix.com/forum/drug/cephalexin/TR...

There are many posts but .. if you're interested,
check out> posts.. 11- 12 - 30 - 44 - 58 - 109 - 211 and -188.

I started my dog on this medicine early Saturday,
am really troubled by what I read, don't know
quite what to do now, having read such scary stuff.

I don't feel easy about phoning the vet to challenge her about
stuff I found on the Internet, it would seem ignorant
... like questioning her professionalism..
she is a qualified vet, I am not.

AND YET

ALL those posts giving feedback
(Most negative) cannot be wrong,
'There's never fire without smoke'

Also to think people are being prescribed it too!!!

Would be very interested in the views
of people here,
and better still if some folks here have been
on it.. or happen to know of it personally.

Thanks..

“near Halloween.”

Level 8

#3 Aug 5, 2013
LOST IN MISSISSIPPI wrote:
<quoted text>I wouldn't base anything on icons
keflex is fine, keep an eye open for negative a reaction, all people and dogs are different
Icons are very superficial, true, to be swayed by.

Yes, I've considered that well,
how different we all are (man & dog)

What alarmed me about this was
The flood of negativity about this drug,
from all different places.

Thank you VERY much for replying.

“....VETS”

Level 9

Since: Jan 08

WELCOME HOME

#4 Aug 5, 2013
Grace Nerissa wrote:
My dog had a deepish cut in the paw pad,
I brought her to the vet,
who treated it and then prescribed an anti biotic,
to stave off infection..
The antibiotic is called KEFLEX(Cephalexin)
I noticed .. when reading the encl. leaflet that it can
be prescribed for humans and animals alike,
so, with curiosity I checked it out on line,
And was stunned to find this>
http://www.topix.com/forum/drug/cephalexin/TR...
There are many posts but .. if you're interested,
check out> posts.. 11- 12 - 30 - 44 - 58 - 109 - 211 and -188.
I started my dog on this medicine early Saturday,
am really troubled by what I read, don't know
quite what to do now, having read such scary stuff.
I don't feel easy about phoning the vet to challenge her about
stuff I found on the Internet, it would seem ignorant
... like questioning her professionalism..
she is a qualified vet, I am not.
AND YET
ALL those posts giving feedback
(Most negative) cannot be wrong,
'There's never fire without smoke'
Also to think people are being prescribed it too!!!
Would be very interested in the views
of people here,
and better still if some folks here have been
on it.. or happen to know of it personally.
Thanks..
I read a person is offering that a drug killed his dog/// but how do we know as fact we don't ..... that is his opinion a vet he isn't

DID YOU READ THIS ????

Keflex almost killed my wife's dad twenty years
ago. He became nauscious, had difficulty breathing, pace around the house all night, and
had heart palpatations. His former doctor recommended that he take dramamine. He stopped
taking the KEFLEX, and is still alive
today at age 89.

the symptoms are all of heart palpitations , not from the drug

“ROCK ON ROCKERS!!”

Level 8

Since: Mar 11

Rockin' USA ;)

#5 Aug 5, 2013
MADE ME...FREAKIN'..ITCH...All over my BOD!!!

“Mess with me.”

Level 2

Since: Dec 09

I like it.

#8 Aug 5, 2013
Grace, we don't know that any of those posts are 100% fact. That being said, the side effects listed for this antibiotic MAY happen. They are not guaranteed to happen. I have taken Keflex myself, same dose, before some dental procedures and with bronchitis. I never had any of the side effects listed. If someone is allergic to penicillin, they should not take it. It could cause a reaction. If your dog has any kind of bad reaction, I would take her off the medicine and contact the vet. You know what to watch for and know if your dog is acting different. There are also natural alternatives to pharmaceuticals that work just as well. Good luck with treating her. I hope she gets well soon.

“....VETS”

Level 9

WELCOME HOME

#9 Aug 5, 2013
missing_goldfish wrote:
Grace, we don't know that any of those posts are 100% fact. That being said, the side effects listed for this antibiotic MAY happen. They are not guaranteed to happen. I have taken Keflex myself, same dose, before some dental procedures and with bronchitis. I never had any of the side effects listed. If someone is allergic to penicillin, they should not take it. It could cause a reaction. If your dog has any kind of bad reaction, I would take her off the medicine and contact the vet. You know what to watch for and know if your dog is acting different. There are also natural alternatives to pharmaceuticals that work just as well. Good luck with treating her. I hope she gets well soon.
it is an anti-biotic not a magic bullet , it helps fight the illness not cure it , like the one post... no way is an anti-biotic used for heart palpitations
phaines

Big Bear Lake, CA

#11 Aug 5, 2013
tallyho wrote:
<quoted text>
it is an anti-biotic not a magic bullet , it helps fight the illness not cure it , like the one post... no way is an anti-biotic used for heart palpitations
anti-biotic's are used when you have dental work if you have a heart mur-mur....I do get palps with it.:/

“water water water water water ”

Since: Oct 07

the place with Pyramid Head

#13 Aug 5, 2013
never heard of it before but it sounds like some scary stuff

Vee

“Man Of Every Hour”

Location hidden

#14 Aug 5, 2013
Cephalexin is used in both dogs and cats to treat a variety of bacterial infections, including skin infections, wound infections, bone infections, pneumonia, and bladder infections.

Cephalexin is similar to the veterinary drug cefadroxil, and veterinarians often use the two drugs interchangeably. The drugs have equal effectiveness.

Cephalexin is not effective against infections caused by parasites (intestinal worms), mites, viruses or fungi.

Precautions and Side Effects

While generally safe and effective when prescribed by a veterinarian, cephalexin can cause side effects in some animals.

Cephalexin should not be used in animals with known hypersensitivity or allergy to the drug.

If a pet is already sensitive to allergy or vomiting from other cephalosporin drugs (cefadroxil) or penicillins (amoxicillin, ampicillin), cross-reaction with cephalexin is possible.

“Easy does it... ”

Level 5

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#16 Aug 5, 2013
Interesting, as I didn't know that KEFLEX(Cephalexin)
could be used on animals as well. Of course, go with the vet's advice.. and monitor very closely.

The two things I wouldn't be overly worried about (as in your thread reference) is the lady with German Shepard and him having loose stool and urinating more than normal (which partly explains drinking more water). As what you're giving your pup is a antibiotic, infection usually leaves the body (we humans too) by these two avenues. The loss of appetite of that particular pup, was one that may have concerned me if it lasted more than a day.

But as in the case of your doggy, it sounds like it was more of a prevention of infection, so there shouldn't be anything out of the ordinary. But if you don't like anything you see, you have every right to pick the phone up and call them and ask questions. You pay the bill, so they'll just have to get over it. A good vet center should be willing to answer any questions that you might have.

Pets can feel to us at times... as though they're a part of the family. And when the really special ones pass on, through old age or other various reasons.. it leaves an emptiness comparative to when a dear friend may have passed on. Sounds strange, but it's true. So yep...I'd certainly call them up if I seen anything of concern, considering the small factor of a possible allergic reaction. JMO

“....VETS”

Level 9

WELCOME HOME

#17 Aug 6, 2013
phaines wrote:
<quoted text>
anti-biotic's are used when you have dental work if you have a heart mur-mur....I do get palps with it.:/
please . never heart disease .... used for infections ..INFECTIONS .....www.drugs.com/cephalexin. html Cached
Cephalexin is used to treat infections caused by bacteria, including upper respiratory infections, ear infections, skin infections, and urinary tract infections

I dare say after my 6th heart op I do believe I know

the dirtiest place on the human body is the mouth

“....VETS”

Level 9

WELCOME HOME

#18 Aug 6, 2013
INFO:

causes of heart palpitations include:

Strong emotional responses, such as stress or anxiety
Strenuous exercise
Caffeine
Nicotine
Fever
Hormone changes associated with menstruation, pregnancy or menopause
Taking cold and cough medications that contain pseudoephedrine, a stimulant
Taking some asthma inhaler medications that contain stimulants

“near Halloween.”

Level 8

#19 Aug 6, 2013
tallyho wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for your post Tally-appreciated-

I don't think anyone suggested taking this medication for
Palpitations, I think palpitations were mentioned
'as a result of taking the drug'

Yes, you are correct, it helps fight off bacteria,
I think too ANY anti biotic is an assault on the system,
o some extent.

“near Halloween.”

Level 8

#20 Aug 6, 2013
missing_goldfish wrote:
I was taken with your post, as, you have had
Personal experience of KEFLEX..
and comforting to know you've had no ill effects.

So far, I haven't noticed any unusual reaction,
only she s sleeping more than usual.
but any antibiotic can have that effect (as I recall) myself.

Thanks for your post. MG..

“....VETS”

Level 9

WELCOME HOME

#23 Aug 6, 2013
Grace Nerissa wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for your post Tally-appreciated-
I don't think anyone suggested taking this medication for
Palpitations, I think palpitations were mentioned
'as a result of taking the drug'
Yes, you are correct, it helps fight off bacteria,
I think too ANY anti biotic is an assault on the system,
o some extent.
not on this thread dear , but the one you gave link to ...someone did

here it is again.........Keflex almost killed my wife's dad twenty years
ago. He became nauscious, had difficulty breathing, pace around the house all night, and
had heart palpatations. His former doctor recommended that he take dramamine. He stopped
taking the KEFLEX, and is still alive
today at age 89.

Level 7

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#24 Aug 6, 2013
Kathlene wrote:
This is one of the dumbest threads I've ever seen.
Kathlene, you should know that President Obama has now dropped our National Debt a Trillion Dollars, yet neither Fox or MSM seem to report it.....

“....VETS”

Level 9

WELCOME HOME

#25 Aug 6, 2013
huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuum

did you know, of course not:
During less than four years under President Obama's leadership, the national debt has increased an astonishing $5.4 trillion,"

Since then, the debt has never again dropped below $5,696,206,400,691.90the amount it ... Obama Added More to National Debt in First 19 Months Than all others

“Easy does it... ”

Level 5

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#26 Aug 6, 2013
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>Kathlene, you should know that President Obama has now dropped our National Debt a Trillion Dollars, yet neither Fox or MSM seem to report it.....
Ah WTF Blue.. if they consider this a stupid thread, then our crappy economy and deficit would probably blow their mind to smithereens. Why bother?

As I actually learned something of value from the OP, that a certain antibiotic (and possibly others) can be used on both humans and animals... I've found this to be one of the more informative threads on Topix that I've come across. My post may not have been of great value, but the OP's and others were.

“I know where you are,”

Level 8

Since: Jun 08

Right here under my thumb

#27 Aug 6, 2013
tallyho wrote:
huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuum
did you know, of course not:
During less than four years under President Obama's leadership, the national debt has increased an astonishing $5.4 trillion,"
Since then, the debt has never again dropped below $5,696,206,400,691.90the amount it ... Obama Added More to National Debt in First 19 Months Than all others
Did you also know that since 2002 (yes, you know back when ol' GWB was president) the war on terror has cost this country over a trillion dollars? Did you also know that well before Obama even stepped foot in the White House the US economy was contracting at a rate of close to 4% per quarter? Did you also know that since 1958, the US debt has never - ever - gone down?

Facts is facts.

“....VETS”

Level 9

WELCOME HOME

#28 Aug 6, 2013
milwaukee69 wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you also know that since 2002 (yes, you know back when ol' GWB was president) the war on terror has cost this country over a trillion dollars? Did you also know that well before Obama even stepped foot in the White House the US economy was contracting at a rate of close to 4% per quarter? Did you also know that since 1958, the US debt has never - ever - gone down?
Facts is facts.
why yes I did , however , the statement I responded to was that Obama dropped a trillion [false] and that today is like a penny that nobody picks up , kinda meaningless and that Bush was inheriting Bill's economics as well as all presidents do from the last president

do you believe that hunting Osama came free for either presidents Clinton/Bush/Obama

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 3 min Chimney1 159,630
hoosier hillbilly (Sep '12) 7 min Hoosier Hillbilly 1,728
Make A Sentance out of a 5 letter word. (Nov '09) 14 min Hoosier Hillbilly 31,715
Create "short sentences using the last word" (Aug '12) 21 min Hoosier Hillbilly 8,286
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 32 min lightbeamrider 161,031
I Like..... (Mar '14) 1 hr Holmes 924
Make up your wildest Headline. (Aug '08) 1 hr Grace Nerissa 267
keep a word drop a word (Sep '12) 2 hr _FLATLINE-------- 7,903
motorcycle traveling stories 2 hr Camilla 335
Whatcha' doing? (Apr '12) 5 hr Crazy Jae 8,281
More from around the web