Sea Salt is it safe?
YOLO

Darien, GA

#21 Nov 10, 2013
If you have a problem where you need to lower salt consumption all salt is the same and contributes to the problem. It is a myth that sea salt is better for you but it works to sell products

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#22 Nov 10, 2013
YOLO wrote:
<quoted text>though there are different forms of collection all forms are processed for consumption usually by boiling the brine from what I understand, plus even if from a mine the original source was the sea
That's my stance, too. The argument isn't whether or not it's salt, though. I think the argument is that table salt is chemically changed by high temperatures when it's processed, which destroys the "good stuff" in it, then has other chemicals added to it. Sea salt is said to be the real deal.

I'm not yet convinced it's worth the extra cost for any possible benefits.

Level 8

Location hidden

#23 Nov 10, 2013
YOLO wrote:
If you have a problem where you need to lower salt consumption all salt is the same and contributes to the problem. It is a myth that sea salt is better for you but it works to sell products
Less filling!

Tastes great!

“No time like the present”

Since: Jul 08

to make it happen!

#24 Nov 10, 2013
YOLO wrote:
Yep.

Marketing brought to you by the same folks who would have you believing that people haven't already been eating genetically modified foods in some form or another for centuries.

“No time like the present”

Since: Jul 08

to make it happen!

#25 Nov 10, 2013
Hoof Arted wrote:
<quoted text>
That's my stance, too. The argument isn't whether or not it's salt, though. I think the argument is that table salt is chemically changed by high temperatures when it's processed, which destroys the "good stuff" in it, then has other chemicals added to it. Sea salt is said to be the real deal.
I'm not yet convinced it's worth the extra cost for any possible benefits.
Chemically changed? Not true.

“New & Improved..”

Level 8

Since: Oct 07

Formerly From Kenya

#26 Nov 10, 2013
YOLO wrote:
<quoted text>though there are different forms of collection all forms are processed for consumption usually by boiling the brine from what I understand, plus even if from a mine the original source was the sea
Actually the original source is from the land, dissolved into water and flowed to the sea.
Halley, the same one whom the comet is named for, did a study to determine the age of the earth based on this.

“"*" Always Thinking "*"”

Level 8

Since: Nov 12

Greensburg, IN

#27 Nov 10, 2013
Dr_Dirty wrote:
<quoted text>
Chemically changed? Not true.
IS a "BALD FACE LIE"
you take minerals out of a substance it is chemically changed!
Where in the HELL do you get off saying it's not?

“"*" Always Thinking "*"”

Level 8

Since: Nov 12

Greensburg, IN

#28 Nov 10, 2013
Dr_Dirty wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep.
Marketing brought to you by the same folks who would have you believing that people haven't already been eating genetically modified foods in some form or another for centuries.
And that's bullshit too, where do you get off misinforming people about their own welfare?
Don't know where you came from don't give a damn where you go but don't lie to these people like Obama has.

PS: Must work for Monsanto ( Monsanto Company is a publicly traded American multinational chemical, and agricultural biotechnology corporation headquartered in Creve Coeur, Missouri. That's made it's fortune off farmers and agriculture products.
Grand Saline

Denton, TX

#29 Nov 10, 2013
Salt in it's natural form has color from the other minerals surrounding it. It can range from a pink shade to grey even black. It is rare to find crystal clear natural salt in the deposits under ground. I would think the first post has a valid argument , that today's sea salt (without processing) would contain unnatural pollutants not found in the eons old domes. But then there is this...
http://www.saltworks.us/salt_info/si_gourmet_...
Janice

Bethlehem, PA

#30 Nov 10, 2013
I tried it. I guess the thing is, it has less sodium in it.

Level 8

Location hidden

#31 Nov 10, 2013
Janice wrote:
"Less sodium."
"Tastes great."

I'm perfectly okay if someone wants to use sea salt. No argument from me one way or the other.

I am curious, though. You said you tried it, not that you changed over. Do you use sea salt at all now?
YOLO

United States

#34 Nov 10, 2013
Janice wrote:
not true

By weight, sea salt and table salt contain the same amount of sodium.

“DON'T FORGET YO FLU SHOT”

Level 3

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#35 Nov 10, 2013
Hoof Arted wrote:
<quoted text>
"Less sodium."
"Tastes great."
I'm perfectly okay if someone wants to use sea salt. No argument from me one way or the other.
I am curious, though. You said you tried it, not that you changed over. Do you use sea salt at all now?
No, not for any particular reason, I guess in the back of my mind I was concerned about the oil spills, how it would effect the salt. Probably wont effect it, but i wont buy it for that reason, kinda like an invisible fear. A fear of nothing i suppose, a stigma I can't shake, so I switched back to regular salt.

But if you ever use it, it tastes good, according to it's label it has I less sodium, that was what got me into it, and its all natural. I am a big salt eater, so I tried it. That salt called no salt is terrible, tastes like chemicals it is chemicals lol

I like your profile, btw. Horses are great animals. I had a pet that liked to pass gas on occasion, and it was loud.

“DON'T FORGET YO FLU SHOT”

Level 3

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#36 Nov 10, 2013
Hoof Arted wrote:
<quoted text>
"Less sodium."
"Tastes great."
Sorry, I had to cut in, cuz I am such a big salt user. And sorry the post turned into a book.
YOLO

United States

#37 Nov 10, 2013
justaguess wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually the original source is from the land, dissolved into water and flowed to the sea.
Halley, the same one whom the comet is named for, did a study to determine the age of the earth based on this.
Not quite, he was trying to determine the age of the oceans not the earth by determining the rate of increased salinity in the ocean.

That's a whole other issue and debate.

The point I was making is the large deposits of salt that are mined in the earth are a result of evaporated seas so its all sea salt.

Level 9

Since: Jul 11

#38 Nov 10, 2013
There are minerals present in sea salt that has been processed out of regular table salt.

Side note; Detroit MI. Sits directly on top of North America's largest salt mine.
YOLO

United States

#39 Nov 10, 2013
SLY WEST wrote:
There are minerals present in sea salt that has been processed out of regular table salt.
Side note; Detroit MI. Sits directly on top of North America's largest salt mine.
only if you buy unprocessed sea salt.

You buy a box of Morton sea salt or regular salt it has been purified or processed for consumption.

Plus after salt has been processed they add minerals back in for both taste or to add iodine in some

They also add anti caking ingredients

The hype around sea salt is just that, hype.
Janice

Bethlehem, PA

#40 Nov 10, 2013
YOLO wrote:
<quoted text>not true
By weight, sea salt and table salt contain the same amount of sodium.
I never researched it, just took the label's word for it. Here is a link from some q and a site that agrees with you.

http://www.kgbanswers.com/does-sea-salt-have-...

I'm sure there is alot more info. on this, I will check into it some other time for comparisons on this subject.
Janice

Bethlehem, PA

#41 Nov 10, 2013
YOLO wrote:
<quoted text>only if you buy unprocessed sea salt.
You buy a box of Morton sea salt or regular salt it has been purified or processed for consumption.
Plus after salt has been processed they add minerals back in for both taste or to add iodine in some
They also add anti caking ingredients
The hype around sea salt is just that, hype.
With all this salt talk , my mouth is watering. And come to think of it I am just about out of salt. true story.

Level 8

Location hidden

#42 Nov 11, 2013
_Lizz_ wrote:
<quoted text>
No, not for any particular reason, I guess in the back of my mind I was concerned about the oil spills, how it would effect the salt. Probably wont effect it, but i wont buy it for that reason, kinda like an invisible fear. A fear of nothing i suppose, a stigma I can't shake, so I switched back to regular salt.
But if you ever use it, it tastes good, according to it's label it has I less sodium, that was what got me into it, and its all natural. I am a big salt eater, so I tried it. That salt called no salt is terrible, tastes like chemicals it is chemicals lol
I like your profile, btw. Horses are great animals. I had a pet that liked to pass gas on occasion, and it was loud.
Seems to me that the quantity of added salt is too low to make a measurable difference. I'm still looking at different websites, but it's like researching politics in the sense that you can find arguments for both sides of the issue.

I'm not a cowboy nor a horse aficionado, but have always had an interest in them. I'm amazed that such a large animal can be so loyal and friendly towards humans.

The few gas-passing pets I've had always passed gas on the sly and acted innocent after doing so, but they could clear a room :D

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Denny Crain's Place (May '10) 3 min Denny CranesPlace 27,365
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 17 min Crystal_Clear722 223,389
The Next Person Game (Mar '11) 17 min Sublime1 10,396
A Five Letter Word (Jan '12) 23 min andet1987 3,038
Two rhyming words! (Jun '12) 28 min andet1987 214
keep a word drop a word (Sep '12) 31 min andet1987 16,177
Post "ANY WORD" that comes to mind! (Jul '12) 45 min Rider on the Storm 3,627
Phrases that you don't hear very often (Nov '11) 1 hr Parden Pard 775
What's your tip for the day? (Jul '14) 1 hr Parden Pard 2,345
Poll What are you thinking right now? (May '08) 2 hr honeymylove 6,056
More from around the web