Sea Salt is it safe?

Posted in the Weird Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Pontifical Blatherskite

Portland, OR

#1 Nov 9, 2013
Sea salt, also called solar salt, has made quite simply by evaporating seawater. Just like it sounds, they pump seawater and expose it to the sun or other heat source to evaporate off all the water, and what's left is sea salt. But, is that all that's left? When you buy sea salt, is that all you're getting? I'm just thinking of all the pollution that's in the ocean, everything from garbage to sewage to oil spills. I think I'd rather have "table salt" which is chemically identical (even though some cooks say it has a different taste than sea salt) and it comes from mines, which salt deposits were laid down millions of years ago through natural process before mankind started polluting the water from which it comes. Just something to think about the next time you're purchasing sodium chloride for your dining table!

Since: Apr 13

Scappoose, Oregon USA

#2 Nov 9, 2013
Oh well, I never even thought of that! We by sea salt all the time, and I googled it you're right, there is no purification process or anything. They take seawater right out of the ocean or from a bay somewhere (yuck which I think would be even worse) and then evaporated, and sell it. Any pollution in the water would be there in the salt, you may have been trolling I don't know, regardless it's something to think about.

“New & Improved..”

Level 8

Since: Oct 07

Formerly From Kenya

#3 Nov 9, 2013
Are you kidding me....???

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#4 Nov 10, 2013
I don't understand the big rage for sea salt.

“We're all Bozos on this bus”

Since: Jan 07

Indianapolis, IN

#5 Nov 10, 2013
Whale pee and shark shat

“Always More”

Level 5

Since: May 13

Location hidden

#6 Nov 10, 2013
It's suppose to be healthier for you, but I don't use it!

“= Always Thinking =”

Level 8

Since: Nov 12

Greensburg, IN

#7 Nov 10, 2013
Salt - Your Way to Health
by David Brown Stein MD
Unrefined salt has all the minerals God intended it to have for our health, which includes over 80.
Read his book or take my advice and try it to see a difference (in-so-many-ways).

Level 8

Location hidden

#8 Nov 10, 2013
Spirit67_ wrote:
It's suppose to be healthier for you, but I don't use it!
I don't seek out stuff with sea salt, but I'm seeing more and more items tagged as using sea salt and, yes, I'll buy it now and again.

What's different about salt? Isn't salt, salt?

Level 8

Location hidden

#9 Nov 10, 2013
Hoosier Hillbilly wrote:
Salt - Your Way to Health
by David Brown Stein MD
Unrefined salt has all the minerals God intended it to have for our health, which includes over 80.
Read his book or take my advice and try it to see a difference (in-so-many-ways).
That was posted while I was typing out my previous question. I'll look for the Readers Digest version.

“= Always Thinking =”

Level 8

Greensburg, IN

#10 Nov 10, 2013
HA it's only a small paperback-worth the read!

Q: What's different about salt? Isn't salt, salt?
A: Not in the least which is what you get with table salt, all the good stuff has been processed out-no nutritional value left!

Salt of the earth - unrefined

“= Always Thinking =”

Level 8

Greensburg, IN

#11 Nov 10, 2013
Just for you guys ...

Since the beginning of life on earth, natural salt has been an essential element used by ocean flora, animals, and people. Himalayan Salt that comes from the earth is composed of eighty-four elements that are vital to life. These nutrients are the same elements found in our bodies for maintaining optimum health. Our bodies contain the same salt fluid (water and natural salt,) as that found in the primordial sea. No manufacturing company can create a substance that matches the healing and health properties of natural salt. For example, when one s diet becomes deficient in trace elements, their cells lose the ability to manage their ions. The result of a loss in ion balance is the bursting of the body s cells which causes a whole host of health problems.

www.organicauthority.com/organic-food/organic...

Level 8

Location hidden

#12 Nov 10, 2013
Hoosier Hillbilly wrote:
Just for you guys ...
Since the beginning of life on earth, natural salt has been an essential element used by ocean flora, animals, and people. Himalayan Salt that comes from the earth is composed of eighty-four elements that are vital to life. These nutrients are the same elements found in our bodies for maintaining optimum health. Our bodies contain the same salt fluid (water and natural salt,) as that found in the primordial sea. No manufacturing company can create a substance that matches the healing and health properties of natural salt. For example, when one s diet becomes deficient in trace elements, their cells lose the ability to manage their ions. The result of a loss in ion balance is the bursting of the body s cells which causes a whole host of health problems.
www.organicauthority.com/organic-food/organic...
Ain't regular old salt the same salt that already has the water removed? I mean, table salt isn't created in a test tube. It's natural too, isn't it?

“Always More”

Level 5

Since: May 13

Location hidden

#13 Nov 10, 2013
Hoof Arted wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't seek out stuff with sea salt, but I'm seeing more and more items tagged as using sea salt and, yes, I'll buy it now and again.
What's different about salt? Isn't salt, salt?
Yea, I just don't know what to think!

“= Always Thinking =”

Level 8

Greensburg, IN

#14 Nov 10, 2013
Table salt has been refined to the point of being worthless much like so many other foods in our stores today. By the time they get through processing it the good stuff is all gone so to make it taste good they add all kinds of chemicals, preservatives
and lots of the salt that's no good for you.
If you don't know what all the ingredients are when reading them on anything then it's not good for you.
+ to make it worse they are genetically changing all food sources especially corn, wheat, and soy beans - find something that doesn't have one if not all three in it.
Monsanto & DuPont control these items and they don't give a damn about our health just the money.

“= Always Thinking =”

Level 8

Greensburg, IN

#15 Nov 10, 2013
GMO - Genetically Modified Organism
http://www.politico.com/story/2013/09/monsant...
Scan this website and you'll get the drift.
"Money rules "OUR" -food & politics-.
Not "US"

“New & Improved..”

Level 8

Since: Oct 07

Formerly From Kenya

#16 Nov 10, 2013
Careful to get the sea salt with iodine added, not bromine or you'll end up with a goitre the size of a manatee..like mine...!!!

Level 8

Location hidden

#17 Nov 10, 2013
I'll have to browse through those sources, HH. I've read pros and cons on the 'net.

My intake of added salt is almost nil. From what I'm seeing, any potential adverse effects from regular old table salt is minimal at best. It sounds to me like it's a Coke vs Pepsi thing.
YOLO

Atlanta, GA

#18 Nov 10, 2013
Ye old salt mines contain the salt from ancient sea beds and that's where most so called table salt comes from.

While there are mineral variations in sources of all salt that may effect subtle taste differences there is no evidence that one is better than another health wise.

So yeah salt is salt

Level 8

Location hidden

#19 Nov 10, 2013
YOLO wrote:
Ye old salt mines contain the salt from ancient sea beds and that's where most so called table salt comes from.
While there are mineral variations in sources of all salt that may effect subtle taste differences there is no evidence that one is better than another health wise.
So yeah salt is salt
From what I'm understanding, salt is salt, but table salt is kiln dried, processed, and has other stuff added to it. Sea salt is just salt with nothing done to it.
YOLO

Atlanta, GA

#20 Nov 10, 2013
Hoof Arted wrote:
<quoted text>
From what I'm understanding, salt is salt, but table salt is kiln dried, processed, and has other stuff added to it. Sea salt is just salt with nothing done to it.
though there are different forms of collection all forms are processed for consumption usually by boiling the brine from what I understand, plus even if from a mine the original source was the sea

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 4 min wichita-rick 151,159
Word association (Jun '07) 6 min Crazy Jae 2,563
Funny!! Word association game. (Nov '13) 7 min wichita-rick 2,026
Oregon police dog fired for poor performance 8 min Mitt s Airtight D... 1
True or False Game 11 min SLY WEST 911
The Letter " G " (May '09) 14 min Crazy Jae 4,172
The Letter "S" (Nov '08) 18 min Crazy Jae 9,481
Ferguson Grand Jury Reaches Decision 54 min FTW Forever 335
Passengers Push Russian Airplane Stuck In Ice 57 min Mitt s Airtight D... 13
Bill Cosby 1 hr FTW Forever 260