Police break emotionally disturbed te...

Police break emotionally disturbed teen's arm

Posted in the Weird Forum

Anonymous

Sharon Springs, NY

#1 Feb 1, 2014
Rotterdam, NY

Rotterdam police allegedly broke the arm of an emotionally disturbed 16-year-old boy after two cops tried to remove him by force from a school bus he refused to leave, and a video revealed the cracking sound of a bone followed by the teenager's moans and shouted expletives.

Now an attorney representing the teenager's family is suing the town and seeking damages in excess of $1 million for a fractured humerus, possible nerve damage, medical expenses and pain and suffering.

The attorney said the teenager's medications were being adjusted at the time, limiting his ability to move. He has been diagnosed with multiple emotional disorders, including Tourette syndrome, anxiety disorder, bipolar disorder and pervasive developmental disorder, according to the family's lawyer.

The incident unfolded on the morning of Oct. 9, 2013 in the driveway of the teenager's Rotterdam home and came to light late Friday in a news release issued by Rotterdam Police Chief James Hamilton who said a review determined that "officers followed department protocol and procedures."

In addition, police charged the teen, Jacob Gocheski, with obstructing governmental administration in the second degree, a misdemeanor. He appeared in Rotterdam Town Court on Nov. 18 on the charge, which is pending.

Attorney Kevin Luibrand filed a notice of claim on Jan. 6 against the town on behalf of Gocheski and his parents. "There was clear and obvious use of excessive force," Luibrand said Friday. "They placed his arm in a position where they locked the arm and proceeded with significant force to break the arm between the shoulder blade and elbow, creating a displaced fracture."

Luibrand released an X-ray of the teenager's left arm that showed a gruesome break and a shattered bone midway up the bicep.

The video from the bus showed Sgt. Daniel Ryan and Officer Ronald Armstrong talking for nearly 15 minutes to Gocheski, who wore a camouflage hoodie and kept his head down as he sat alone in a bus seat two rows back from the driver, who worked for Mohonasen Transportation.

Police were called after the driver said he felt he could not safely transport Gocheski to school at Parsons Child and Family Center, "based on threats that the student made in an aggressive manner," police said in the release.

The video showed Gocheski's brother, another teenager and a female aide sitting in their seats during the 15-minute discussion as the police conferred with Gocheski's mother.

"I haven't seen him quite this defiant in quite a long time," a woman believed to be the mother was heard to say from outside the bus, captured by the bus video camera.

The two cops waited on the bus for an ambulance to arrive to take the teenager to Ellis Hospital for a mental health evaluation.

That plan was verbally approved by the woman believed to be Gocheski's mother.

Ryan tried to engage Gocheski, who sat in silence, with his head down. "What are we going to do here?" Ryan asked. "You can either walk off the bus, or we can drag you off the bus, strap you on a stretcher and take you to Ellis Hospital. You can walk off the bus like a young man or we can hog-tie you."

Ryan added, "You're making all these other kids late for school."

"I don't give a (expletive). I don't give a (expletive)," Gocheski said.

"If we have to fight, someone might get hurt," Armstrong said.

The video showed Armstrong and Ryan as they pulled Gocheski out of his seat, pushed him standing into an empty seat across the aisle. Ryan apparently was trying to handcuff Gocheski as he pulled and twisted the teenager's left arm at an awkward angle until a cracking sound of bone could be heard on the video.

"Ahhh (expletive). Oh, God...Ahhhh...You broke my (expletive) arm," Gocheski yelled between groans of pain as the two officers walked him off the bus.

“New & Improved..”

Level 8

Since: Oct 07

Formerly From Kenya

#2 Feb 1, 2014
Billy Jack:"Now, which is it gonna be, get off the bus or get a dislocated elbow?"
Islander

Kansas City, MO

#3 Feb 1, 2014
Perfect example of why crazy people shouldn't be walking around unattended. When are we going to realize people with these kind of problems don't belong alone in the public world left to their own devices. Medication or not, crazy people with mental problems don't think in a rational and common sense manner. It is unfathomable to expect the rest of society to cater to these wacko's and hope and expect that they take their medication or that it is always going to work properly. I feel sorry he had his arm broken and it probably could have been handled better. Still this is an example of how our system is failing people of a normal mental state and the crazies both. Get these people into institutions where they belong and quit allowing them to reek havoc on regular society. Their is no good reason for them to be mixed with the general public. They are disruptive and dangerous.

AIias - Trish
Level 5

Since: Mar 13

Location hidden

#4 Feb 1, 2014
Islander wrote:
Perfect example of why crazy people shouldn't be walking around unattended. When are we going to realize people with these kind of problems don't belong alone in the public world left to their own devices. Medication or not, crazy people with mental problems don't think in a rational and common sense manner. It is unfathomable to expect the rest of society to cater to these wacko's and hope and expect that they take their medication or that it is always going to work properly. I feel sorry he had his arm broken and it probably could have been handled better. Still this is an example of how our system is failing people of a normal mental state and the crazies both. Get these people into institutions where they belong and quit allowing them to reek havoc on regular society. Their is no good reason for them to be mixed with the general public. They are disruptive and dangerous.
Just in case there is any chance your gray post could go poooof, I'll save it for ya.
What you say is quite true, however ... most folks with mental disabilities aren't rude like that and they deserve more compassion than you are offering. I'll show you a few links dear, cause you don't sound like you'd be able to help in a crisis.

:)

PS, Now don't you go all Alias Trash on me now. I deserve to speak too, if anyone else does. Okay?
Thanx
Parden Pard

Whitehall, PA

#5 Feb 1, 2014
Dad left the family after he threatened to break the kids neck.,and Mommy defended her nut-job kid.(dad said,"f@#$ him and the horse he rode in on") and you too Mabel,,,,
Islander

Kansas City, MO

#6 Feb 1, 2014
AIias - Trish wrote:
<quoted text>
Just in case there is any chance your gray post could go poooof, I'll save it for ya.
What you say is quite true, however ... most folks with mental disabilities aren't rude like that and they deserve more compassion than you are offering. I'll show you a few links dear, cause you don't sound like you'd be able to help in a crisis.
PS, Now don't you go all Alias Trash on me now. I deserve to speak too, if anyone else does. Okay?
Thanx
They deserve compassion, but they don't deserve the right to have society be disrupted by them. They may not be rude but they still cannot be trusted to act responsibly on their own. They are crazy and it is impossible to know if and when their illogical thinking will make them snap. It is also unreasonable to expect society to understand them. Society is being held hostage by this Mental Health community that is only concerned with catering to the deranged thinking and has no regard for the rights of regular society. Look at Sandy Hook for an example.
It is not Mental illness. It is mental abnormality. Illness implies that it can be cured. If your schizophrenic, delusional, or whatever you are always that. You cannot be cured only treated, and it is irresponsible and ignorant to expect someone with such abnormalities and conditions to follow the treatment or that the treatment will always be effective.

“New & Improved..”

Level 8

Since: Oct 07

Formerly From Kenya

#7 Feb 1, 2014
Obama care is actually starting to look better...!!!

AIias - Trish
Level 5

Location hidden

#8 Feb 1, 2014
Islander wrote:
<quoted text>They deserve compassion, but they don't deserve the right to have society be disrupted by them. They may not be rude but they still cannot be trusted to act responsibly on their own. They are crazy and it is impossible to know if and when their illogical thinking will make them snap. It is also unreasonable to expect society to understand them. Society is being held hostage by this Mental Health community that is only concerned with catering to the deranged thinking and has no regard for the rights of regular society. Look at Sandy Hook for an example.
It is not Mental illness. It is mental abnormality. Illness implies that it can be cured. If your schizophrenic, delusional, or whatever you are always that. You cannot be cured only treated, and it is irresponsible and ignorant to expect someone with such abnormalities and conditions to follow the treatment or that the treatment will always be effective.
I appreciate all that you've put here, as well as last post and I thank you that this was less offensive.

See, the problem is ... THIS IS A SERIOUS Problem and it needs serious attention instead of being swept under rugs or hidden in closets with caretakers as ignorant to the fact as even the doctors appear at times. I do not mean that it should be used as an excuse for bad behavior, nor should society have to suffer the consequences of those with unsound minds.

But please appreciate this ... some of the can not help themselves. The 'Insane Defense' isn't all about fraud.

Thanks again and I wish you a good weekend. Are you ready for some football. I almost can't stand the wait ... it seems forever. Haha

AIias - Trish
Level 5

Location hidden

#9 Feb 1, 2014
justaguess wrote:
Obama care is actually starting to look better...!!!
It needs an overhaul, we can't deny that. It's one of the reasons it may possibly fail before it does anything worthwhile.

Too many of us need some kind of insurance. Isn't it insane to fine me $90 a month when I can't afford to have a damn tooth pulled? I'm better off than the majority and we can't deny a great majority are suffering without health/dental/mental attention.

Islander

Kansas City, MO

#10 Feb 1, 2014
AIias - Trish wrote:
<quoted text>
I appreciate all that you've put here, as well as last post and I thank you that this was less offensive.
See, the problem is ... THIS IS A SERIOUS Problem and it needs serious attention instead of being swept under rugs or hidden in closets with caretakers as ignorant to the fact as even the doctors appear at times. I do not mean that it should be used as an excuse for bad behavior, nor should society have to suffer the consequences of those with unsound minds.
But please appreciate this ... some of the can not help themselves. The 'Insane Defense' isn't all about fraud.
Thanks again and I wish you a good weekend. Are you ready for some football. I almost can't stand the wait ... it seems forever. Haha
I'll watch the game but to be honest I'm not that big a Football Fan. I'll listen to it on the radio fishing most likely.
I agree though. Insanity is not a defense, so we should stop defending crazy peoples bad actions with it. The fact that people and their lawyers can use Mental insanit as a defense is so ass backwards. If a person attacks someone because the voices in their head told them too, well that is more reason to lock them up longer not less. Like you said they cannot help themselves. So why do we allow that to be an excuse to allow them to walk instead of a reason to keep them from being watched in a controlled environment? It's the biggest problem we have right now.
Islander

Kansas City, MO

#11 Feb 1, 2014
AIias - Trish wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry if you found my post offensive. At the same time it is the modern PC BS that makes us see the cold hard facts and truth seem offensive sometimes. When we sugar coat or deny the truth because someone might have their feelings hurt we all suffer.
Anonymous

Sharon Springs, NY

#12 Feb 1, 2014
Islander wrote:
You obviously don't understand. He was on the bus, with 4 other people, including his brother and an aide. It was the fault of the police! I feel so bad for this child, I don't care if he has "mental issues", he is still a child and the situation was handled horribly.

AIias - Trish
Level 5

Location hidden

#13 Feb 1, 2014
Wish I could get a prop for you Anon. He's touching the surface and even spinning my words a bit to meet what he believes and discounting the underlying need for more understanding.

Very often the police are expected to act in a mental behavior method they are not qualified for. They do not know what to expect from these people for the most part and we know if it's near to insanity ... that is a very good defense to get a different kind of punishment for the behavior.

Thanks so much for putting in your opinion and good word.

I like the shock value of telling it the way it is ... heck, I like sugar in small doses, but I will not quote everything with it. Perhaps some need a very personal touch,(wear others shoes through these tramatic (sp?) circumstance. Some just can't know the compassion that is inescapable to we the caretakers of the millions of individual that need the treatments of the past with the knowledge to do it better and more productive now.

As I stated,... I may not be the best to speak out here for being emotionally evolved, but there is so much information on what actually happens in many of these cases that should have been prevented.

Knowledge is essential ... ignorance can actually kill unnecessarily.

Hell even Zimmerman needs a serious once over with his cognitive thinking.

AIias - Trish
Level 5

Location hidden

#14 Feb 1, 2014
Quote ... hahaha, I meant coat.

**cute slip though, if I do say so myself.
Islander

Livonia, NY

#15 Feb 1, 2014
AIias - Trish wrote:
Wish I could get a prop for you Anon. He's touching the surface and even spinning my words a bit to meet what he believes and discounting the underlying need for more understanding.
Very often the police are expected to act in a mental behavior method they are not qualified for. They do not know what to expect from these people for the most part and we know if it's near to insanity ... that is a very good defense to get a different kind of punishment for the behavior.
Thanks so much for putting in your opinion and good word.
I like the shock value of telling it the way it is ... heck, I like sugar in small doses, but I will not quote everything with it. Perhaps some need a very personal touch,(wear others shoes through these tramatic (sp?) circumstance. Some just can't know the compassion that is inescapable to we the caretakers of the millions of individual that need the treatments of the past with the knowledge to do it better and more productive now.
As I stated,... I may not be the best to speak out here for being emotionally evolved, but there is so much information on what actually happens in many of these cases that should have been prevented.
Knowledge is essential ... ignorance can actually kill unnecessarily.
Hell even Zimmerman needs a serious once over with his cognitive thinking.
I"m sorry it is all this " We need more understanding thats been going on for the past 30 years that is the problem. We as a society are constantly trying to adjust and make room for the crazies to roam about and more and more everyday we are having to deal with the problems they cause. It is in their and the rest of societies best interest to have them put in homes to be monitored and kept tabs on. Sure the police could have handled better but it is unreasonable to expect someone to trust a nut-job acting like one and put their saftey on the line to deal with them. He should have never been their in the first place. we can keep bending over backwards for the insane but expect more Sandy Hooks and Colorado movie theater's to happen. Oh well that's O.K. we can just blame the Constitutional rights for that though. Hell our rights and safety is not nearly as important as the feelings of those talking to the voices in their head are.
Islander

Livonia, NY

#16 Feb 1, 2014
Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
You obviously don't understand. He was on the bus, with 4 other people, including his brother and an aide. It was the fault of the police! I feel so bad for this child, I don't care if he has "mental issues", he is still a child and the situation was handled horribly.
I get it perfectly. Another nut-job on Doctor prescribed drugs was released into public instead of being put into a mental ward. My point is this would not have happened if we as a society handled our mentally insane properly. Why is a person with so many severe problems allowed to got to a school with regular children in the first place? Why were those children put into danger of a loony flipping out at their school? Why does the mentally stable majority have to walk on eggshells and make accommodations for the mentally broken small minority?
Parden Pard

Whitehall, PA

#17 Feb 1, 2014
Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
If I was the bus driver,,that kid would've flown off that bus,,,,no cops,no mommy,no problem.!
Anonymous

Sharon Springs, NY

#18 Feb 1, 2014
Islander wrote:
<quoted text>I get it perfectly. Another nut-job on Doctor prescribed drugs was released into public instead of being put into a mental ward. My point is this would not have happened if we as a society handled our mentally insane properly. Why is a person with so many severe problems allowed to got to a school with regular children in the first place? Why were those children put into danger of a loony flipping out at their school? Why does the mentally stable majority have to walk on eggshells and make accommodations for the mentally broken small minority?
Well, you can't just lock up all the people that are mentally ill. More people in the world suffer from a mental illness than you think. Mental illnesses include anxiety disorders, Schizoaffective disorder, eating disorders. Many people suffer from those illnesses. We can't just try to get rid of people with them. My nephew is "mentally retarded", but I still love him, and you can't change that. My point is, a lot of the world's population has a mental disorder, and that's the way it is. No changing that!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
lets play follow the word! (Jul '08) 22 min xxxooxxx 40,134
Two rhyming words! (Jun '12) 30 min xxxooxxx 746
Keep a Word.....Drop a Word Game (Sep '13) 37 min xxxooxxx 14,473
Funny!! Word association game. (Nov '13) 46 min xxxooxxx 6,659
last word - first (Jun '12) 50 min xxxooxxx 8,211
call it green... (Aug '14) 55 min xxxooxxx 224
What's for dinner? (Feb '12) 1 hr whatimeisit 9,945
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 1 hr wichita-rick 230,785