Topix Weblog: How about More? A lot m...

Topix Weblog: How about More? A lot more More

There are 41 comments on the blog.topix.com story from May 3, 2010, titled Topix Weblog: How about More? A lot more More. In it, blog.topix.com reports that:

Everyone knows that you launch products in the Spring and Fall - " and Web 2.0 has provided me an unconscious calendar for product launches since the first Web 2.0 Summit in 2004.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at blog.topix.com.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Angela Richards

Butler, PA

#1 Sep 6, 2010
I do not think that this site is a news site. It is a slam board! I have been getting slandered on here for several months without anyone doing anything about it. I personally think this page should be take off the internet or at least there should be a moderator of some sort. This is rediculous! I am wanting my postes investigated and I want the person to be prosecuted. But it is very apparent that you all have no control of anything on this so called news site! So I have went to other sources to try and get something done about it. It will be ashame when something bad happens to someone from any town on this board because no one would take the time to monitor what is said in these so called forums. There are crazy people out there. I am actually in fear of my life and my families. I know this if something happens in my case I will make sure that Topix is held liable for it all!!!
dont use your real name

AOL

#2 Sep 6, 2010
Use the feedback system and contact the topix keepers

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#3 Sep 6, 2010
Angela, start using Twitter and follow Tolles on it. You can have direct contact him that way. But don't expect much. He's an a**hole.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#4 Sep 6, 2010
Oh, and Angela. You're quite right. It is NOT a news site, and it is a slam site. You might want to try another website where there is some monitoring and the discussion is much more civil and rational. I don't know your political leanings, but I highly recommend the Huffington Post. They are grownups there, and once you sign in, you can post on their stories. And that website IS news.

_Ginny_

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#5 Sep 6, 2010
sure, how about more, a whole lot more,

a whole lot more moderation, a whole lot more care and consideration for the human beings who participate and are affected by your forums.

_Ginny_

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#6 Sep 6, 2010
how about more, a whole lot more policing of your own forums to prevent the ruining of lives that is happening on your threads. they are Topix's responsibility, no one elses.
whichturniptruck

Lamoni, IA

#7 Sep 6, 2010
dont use your real name wrote:
Use the feedback system and contact the topix keepers
Use the feedback system, monitor the results, and if the bad stuff is not removed, contact AG Conway's office. Go to Ky. gov and then Attorney General for more info. Or go to google and use multiple key words: August 2010 topix AG agreement Conway AG Ky.gov will probably get you what you need. I think the link is [email protected] AG Ky.gov , but I do not know for sure, and do not know how to put up links. I prefer to tell people the key words. I do not trust links from strangers, and do not advocate trusting them as a general habit.
whichturniptruck

Lamoni, IA

#8 Sep 6, 2010
OnePissedOffMama wrote:
Oh, and Angela. You're quite right. It is NOT a news site, and it is a slam site. You might want to try another website where there is some monitoring and the discussion is much more civil and rational. I don't know your political leanings, but I highly recommend the Huffington Post. They are grownups there, and once you sign in, you can post on their stories. And that website IS news.
If you are slightly left of center, then Huffington Post and Daily Kos are both OK. Or if you just want to read good journalism, look for McClatchy press on some subjects. I recommend January 2010, Moody's Goldman Sacs derivatives rating agencies and similar key words. If you care about a particular subject, you can google that subject. I recommend cspan and pbs. both have good links and archives. topix is good for practicing being fast on your keyboard and quick thinking in reply, without being overly hasty and getting into unnecessary trouble. Getting into some trouble is sometimes necessary in order to get the practice at trying to get out of it. It is a rough sport, but fun if you have a major sense of humor and a thick skin. Not on threads where there are real slanderers of real persons, whom you wish to defend, and feel helpless to help however. That is why it is important to do the feedback, monitor the results, and contact Conway.

Also see the thread on Conway sends second letter to gossip site, and the article, for the list of the AG's who are most supportive. You can write or call or email your state's AG, especially if he or she is on the list. It is possible to take on the topix inertia, to put it kindly, and force them to clean things up a little, anyhow. The more who put pressure on, the more there is a chance of getting a change made.

Do not "put all your eggs" in the topix keepers basket, or the Ginny basket however. all is not what it claims to be. look before you leap. check them out and decide for yourself. ginny has an obsession or two. Topix keepers include teenagers and Ginny, and maybe a few others, up to 10. They accepted one member who is notorious for threats and obscenity, and took forever to kick him out. Beware of folks who write heroic scenarios for their own roles. Do it yourself if you can. There is some good advice from someone named Green, I think, on the thread:

Feedback, Monitor, Report to AG site.

I do not know him, except for those few comments.
whichturniptruck

Lamoni, IA

#9 Sep 6, 2010
Angela Richards wrote:
I do not think that this site is a news site. It is a slam board! I have been getting slandered on here for several months without anyone doing anything about it. I personally think this page should be take off the internet or at least there should be a moderator of some sort. This is rediculous! I am wanting my postes investigated and I want the person to be prosecuted. But it is very apparent that you all have no control of anything on this so called news site! So I have went to other sources to try and get something done about it. It will be ashame when something bad happens to someone from any town on this board because no one would take the time to monitor what is said in these so called forums. There are crazy people out there. I am actually in fear of my life and my families. I know this if something happens in my case I will make sure that Topix is held liable for it all!!!
Actually the communications act exempts forums like topix from responsibility and liability for things that commenters post on the forum. The one thing a person could do in court, re topix, is ask a judge to compel topix to provide the names and addresses of anonymous commenters who are the ones being sued for libel or threats. One judge has already ordered topix to provide that information in such a lawsuit. In Texas, I think.

This particular forum focuses on topix matters, including news about topix. But anyone can put up a thread for a new discussion, or a poll, and some can be pretty silly. I even put up a silly new poll in the middle of the night when I was bored, but awake on too much caffeine too late in the day. I even admitted it was silly. There are all sorts of side games and distractions here.

There are similar distractions on other forums and threads, too. You have to decide whether you are willing to put up with the bother, because of some reason that matters enough to you. If you think you can help someone in difficulty, by doing feedback to topix, and complaining, and then monitoring the results, and complaining to an AG if needed, then more power to you. I think it would be admirable. You should read the terms of service, especially the alphabetical list, and especially a, b, and r. Note that the sentence under this area says that inapprpriate posts may be removed by the moderator. not that they will be!
Space

Smyrna, GA

#10 Sep 6, 2010
dont use your real name wrote:
Use the feedback system and contact the topix keepers
That's not always effective as what you thought.
Angela Richards

Butler, PA

#11 Sep 7, 2010
I dont use topix! Someone just keeps going there and putting things about me on there that are slanderous. I have filed the IC3 form 2 times. I got a letter back from the attorney generals officed telling me to keep copies. I keep copies and so far it hasnt done a darn thing for me. I want to take action about this! I have a friend that works for the local news as a reporter Talked to him about it last night and I think he might be interested in doing a story. At this point I am not sure who it is. I have an idea but I never bother anyone. I am a stay at home mom that has 2 month old twins. I dont have time to leave the house. People I know are the ones that have alerted me to the post. But its like this. Friend or foe I will prosecture. A real friend would never do and say the things that have been said about me. Topix wont do anything. In May was when it started and they finally did take all the post off after multipul letters. BUt this last one I am leaving up. That way I can turn it in to the Attorney General everytime that they post on it and maybe that way I can get something done. I found a number to Topix and plan to make a call. I am sure that it wont help. I am sure I wont even get to take to a person!Its just a shame that you cant even get on your computer in the privacy of your own home without getting slandered, your children picked on and your husband. So if I ever get something done I will let you know. I want to burn them I dont care if they do time or get fined they want to be dirty I can be dirtier!!!! Thanks all for the advice! Its nice to know that someone is on your side when things like this happen.
Angela Richards

Butler, PA

#12 Sep 7, 2010
Just found out the attorney Generals office cant help!
court date

Pasadena, CA

#13 Sep 7, 2010
If it rises to the level of libel find out who is writing it and sue.
Angela Richards

Butler, PA

#14 Sep 7, 2010
How far is that??? There have been like 4 on it today!!!! Its horrible. I will sue and I DO NOT care WHO it is. Friend or foe....makes no difference to me at this point.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#15 Sep 8, 2010
whichturniptruck wrote:
<quoted text> If you are slightly left of center, then Huffington Post and Daily Kos are both OK. Or if you just want to read good journalism, look for McClatchy press on some subjects. I recommend January 2010, Moody's Goldman Sacs derivatives rating agencies and similar key words. If you care about a particular subject, you can google that subject. I recommend cspan and pbs. both have good links and archives. topix is good for practicing being fast on your keyboard and quick thinking in reply, without being overly hasty and getting into unnecessary trouble. Getting into some trouble is sometimes necessary in order to get the practice at trying to get out of it. It is a rough sport, but fun if you have a major sense of humor and a thick skin. Not on threads where there are real slanderers of real persons, whom you wish to defend, and feel helpless to help however. That is why it is important to do the feedback, monitor the results, and contact Conway.
Also see the thread on Conway sends second letter to gossip site, and the article, for the list of the AG's who are most supportive. You can write or call or email your state's AG, especially if he or she is on the list. It is possible to take on the topix inertia, to put it kindly, and force them to clean things up a little, anyhow. The more who put pressure on, the more there is a chance of getting a change made.
Do not "put all your eggs" in the topix keepers basket, or the Ginny basket however. all is not what it claims to be. look before you leap. check them out and decide for yourself. ginny has an obsession or two. Topix keepers include teenagers and Ginny, and maybe a few others, up to 10. They accepted one member who is notorious for threats and obscenity, and took forever to kick him out. Beware of folks who write heroic scenarios for their own roles. Do it yourself if you can. There is some good advice from someone named Green, I think, on the thread:
Feedback, Monitor, Report to AG site.
I do not know him, except for those few comments.
Great recommendations. I've been in chat rooms and communities since 1999 and you are quite right, it is a rough sport which is why I'm a little tired of it now. Any time you have a bunch of posters using screen names, they are not accountable and it is a free for all. Great post, and very true.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#16 Sep 8, 2010
Angela Richards wrote:
How far is that??? There have been like 4 on it today!!!! Its horrible. I will sue and I DO NOT care WHO it is. Friend or foe....makes no difference to me at this point.
Angela, sounds to me like it's time you got yourself a computer tech who might be able to trace these things down. In the meantime, go as public as you can about this. There is no fighting this bullshit on this board. Tolles very testily told me on Twitter that he has way too many followers on here to worry about any problems. I suggest we all find other venues and let the trolls continue to live under their little nasty bridges. One suggestion that occurs to me, Angela, is that you might do a Google search to see what vendors use Topix, and write them about how awful it is. Sorry, Tolles, to see you exposed as a charlatan, but not really. He's making money off misery. Time to put a stop to it.
remove

Newport, KY

#17 Sep 8, 2010
Angela, I am in a similar situation. About a year ago there were things posted about me. They finally came down. In the last month a whole new string of posts started. Most of them are still up. I have trying relentlessly to get them removed. I have asked a few people in this forum to help and everyone has been great. I'm not interested in taking any legal action, I just want it gone. My home town is very small and everyone knows everyone. Keep your chin up and hopefully we will both get the results we want. Good luck to you.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#18 Sep 8, 2010
remove wrote:
Angela, I am in a similar situation. About a year ago there were things posted about me. They finally came down. In the last month a whole new string of posts started. Most of them are still up. I have trying relentlessly to get them removed. I have asked a few people in this forum to help and everyone has been great. I'm not interested in taking any legal action, I just want it gone. My home town is very small and everyone knows everyone. Keep your chin up and hopefully we will both get the results we want. Good luck to you.
That's great, remove, and I think that's what it's going to take is people working together to get things removed, or to get Topix gone altogether. My God, I haven't posted a lot in here, but I'm continually amazed at the comments that are made about me by people who know absolutely nothing about me at all. Good luck, and let me know if I can help in any way. Best.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#19 Sep 8, 2010
OnePissedOffMama wrote:
<quoted text>
That's great, remove, and I think that's what it's going to take is people working together to get things removed, or to get Topix gone altogether. My God, I haven't posted a lot in here, but I'm continually amazed at the comments that are made about me by people who know absolutely nothing about me at all. Good luck, and let me know if I can help in any way. Best.
Thanks Mama, I really appreciate it. You could go to the thread and request that its removed. Or do you have any other ideas? Do you know of any other ways of having a post removed other than using feedback. I have been requesting that it be moved over and over and over and over. It is still up.
Angela Richards

Butler, PA

#20 Sep 9, 2010
I have a friend that is a news reporter. I have talked to him and need to get back to him. But I am just afraid of making the situation worse! I have had multipul other post pulled from the boards but I want to get as much crap from this person as possible so I can maybe get somewhere! I want to know who it is and I want them to be embarrassed when it comes out who it is! Only fair right???? Friend or Foe I will guarentee they will bet sued! Not for the money...only if they have to spend a month in jail I want it to happen. I want them to be an example of what can happen just sitting at home minding their own business.: the perverbial example! I think that I am going to contact the guy today and see if he gives me any kind of answer!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Web 2.0 Conference Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Citizen journalism vaguer than web 2.0 (Jul '13) Jul '13 OATH KEEPER 2
News Topix.com is Another Example That Civility Is D... (Mar '10) May '13 Carl Bad 567
What is the best web conferencing software? (Jan '11) Apr '13 David Roger 2
News Topix.net Weblog: LAist interviews Topix (Apr '09) Sep '12 Black Knight X 5
News topixblog: How about More? A lot more More (Apr '11) Apr '11 Designershoes 1
News Watch Google CEO Eric Schmidt show off the 'Nex... (Nov '10) Nov '10 corrective_uncons... 1
News Topix Weblog: How about More? A lot more More (Jun '10) Aug '10 whatever 7
More from around the web