As stink bugs rest, researchers prepare defense

Full story: Evening Sun 33
Stink bugs might have caught experts by surprise this year, but come spring, scientists plan to be ready to face another possible infestation of the shield-shaped stinker. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Steve

Ephrata, PA

#1 Dec 28, 2010
Great, we are advised to kill them, then he keeps a colony alive by buying them food.
Really

Spring Grove, PA

#2 Dec 28, 2010
I am still finding them outside & in my garage - and they are very much alive........
Seems2Me

Hanover, PA

#3 Dec 28, 2010
I still find an occasional one in the house, especially since the furnace runs more. But, don't kid yourself, my wife and I have both been bitten by them. If they are trapped, as in my case, in my trousers when I put them on. When I sensed something crawling up my leg, I trapped it from outside my pant leg. That is when it bit me on the leg. Similar to a mosquito bite but did not swell as much.
tired

Loysville, PA

#4 Dec 28, 2010
My house, sheds, garage, storage boxes was and still is infested with them!!! I have used the vac to suck them up but the smell is horrendous. I drown them in water which does work but for every one I kill, I find 5 more!!!!!I have tried all kinds of pesticides, none which have worked. Someone needs to come up with something soon, ugh.........
Natty Doh

King Of Prussia, PA

#5 Dec 28, 2010
Didja notice these little buggers showed up about the same time the Obama took over? Coincidence? I think not! The Republicans will solve this mess.
bug hater

Hanover, PA

#6 Dec 28, 2010
Stink bugs are still very much a problem despite the change of weather. They are every where in my friend's house! Despite the fact that he kills them when he sees them, he has even set off a bug bomb to kill them. Unfortunately, this has not worked! We need to do something soon about them because when spring arrives, they are going to be out of control.
whomever

Philadelphia, PA

#7 Dec 28, 2010
My wife and I rent a little cabin just outside of Strasburg once or twice per year for a week at a time. The place was crawling with those dang bugs on our last trip just before Halloween. Even though they didn't force us to leave they were a real mess. We received our annual Christmas card from the owners of the cabins with their usual update about their family, business, etc. They moaned about business being way down this year blaiming it on the economy. I disagree. They've always been nearly fully booked in all ecomonic conditions. I think word has gotten out about the bug infestation. Tourism is huge business in PA so hopefully they find a solution soon.
Tom

Etters, PA

#8 Dec 28, 2010
I just used my recipricating saw the other week and was splashed by bug juice! The damn things got inside the tool through the air vents and were hiding around the motor. I turned it on and they got blended. These things get into places that you cant imagine. Thanks US Government for your lack of protection with allowing these things into our country.
Local

Mansfield, OH

#9 Dec 28, 2010
The best way I have found to kill them.....put dish soap in a plastic cup with water and drop the stink bugs in. They die almost instantly. Everyone needs to get rid of all that you see. Can't believe that one female can produce 5,000 more bugs in two seasons! That is nuts!
anonymous

Hyattsville, MD

#10 Dec 28, 2010
I can tell you that Buhach (a natural product) will kill these bugs. It is made of pyrethanin (spelling)flowers that have been crushed. This product will also kill spiders/ants, etc on contact. It is used also to repel/kill fleas. you can go to www.buhach.com . Even though this is in powder form, it might help a little.
Tom

Etters, PA

#11 Dec 28, 2010
Local wrote:
The best way I have found to kill them.....put dish soap in a plastic cup with water and drop the stink bugs in. They die almost instantly. Everyone needs to get rid of all that you see. Can't believe that one female can produce 5,000 more bugs in two seasons! That is nuts!
Gonna be another long summer dealing with these smelly bastards. I know I have shop-vacced 1000's of these things this past year and it did'nt seem to make much of a difference. I live in a wooded area with about 200 acres of soybeans across the road. From what I've been reading, I live at ground zero for their habitat. Oh well, still beats the hell out of living in the city.
fred

Jersey City, NJ

#12 Dec 28, 2010
The oddest thing is that I keep finding a single dead one, on a carpet outside a linen closet. But I also saw a live one in the basement.
Jennifer

Gettysburg, PA

#13 Dec 28, 2010
I still think one should use caution around the stink bugs. I was sleeping in bed a few nights ago and woke up to this awful smell and a stinging on my neck. A stink bug had "sprayed" me.(I found him crawling on my shirt when I went to try to wash the smell off my hands and neck). So, check the bedsheets before you go to bed. I wouldn't want a little kid to wake up in the middle of the night to that.
Jennifer

Gettysburg, PA

#14 Dec 28, 2010
I'm actually from Adams County, PA, not Riverton, NJ.
Fairfield

Gettysburg, PA

#15 Dec 28, 2010
Our house was crawling with them, living in a wooded area.We went to Lowe`s for bug spray,they were sold out.We were told of this recipe, which works pretty well.Mix together 1 bottle of rubbing alcohol, 2 table spoons of Dawn dish soap, to 1 gallon of water.Put in a spray bottle.When you spray them they will instantly drop. Put them in the toliet ,spray the solution in 3 or 4 seconds later thy are dead.
hdcase

Sacramento, CA

#16 Dec 28, 2010
Researchers had better work fast. This one's about to do our agriculture in. If they reach California's central valley which is the nation's bread basket, we're in for a rude awakening! http://www.pestcontrolcenter.com/store
Boson Higgs

United States

#17 Dec 28, 2010
I have the solution !!!

Dip them in chocolate and send them to France !

I shall await my Nobel Prize with great expectation!
Leslie

Aspers, PA

#18 Dec 28, 2010
I've sprayed them with Dawn dish liquid and hot water. I've sprayed them with Tide Liquid Detergent and hot water. I've sprayed them with Peppermint Oil and hot water. I'd start spraying at the front door and work my way around the house. With the Dawn and Tide, they came back even before I was done spraying them. The Peppermint oil worked a little better but is very expensive. AFTER I spray and they drop, I put them in a cup of water. Then I throw them down the commode. I can't believe we don't have the technology to eradicate these little pests. Cold weather just sent them inside the house.
Hmmmm

United States

#19 Dec 28, 2010
Nothing good comes from China!!! Dont they have a pesticide???
Tammy

Mount Wolf, PA

#20 Dec 28, 2010
About 3 weeks ago, I awoke to a horrible smell of stink bug in bed. My arm started to burn and my skin became discolored like a burn. Now the spots are red, swollen and itching. I can't get it to heal. If I rub the spots, they start to burn again. Beware, it didn't bite but the scent they release actually burns your skin. I hope they find something to kill these things soon.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weather Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The BIZARRE reasons why men rape in India 1 hr pit 1,044
Utilities probed in Sandy's wake (Nov '12) 2 hr Dave smith 23
Russian ruble extends losses 3 hr anonymous 57
Michelle Grossman - About NBC 10 News Story - W... (Mar '08) 3 hr Bobster II 494
Palestinians to submit draft for UN vote 5 hr goldstone report 2
Faking it the green way: Artificial grass looks... (May '09) 8 hr Fyi 18
What can I do for excess sweating? (Jan '09) 9 hr William Walker 7
More from around the web