Pecos River falling victim to drought

Aug 24, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Carlsbad Current-Argus

Stretches of the Pecos River are going dry, shorelines at state parks up and down the waterway are changing and there are islands popping up that weren't there before.

Comments (Page 2)

Showing posts 21 - 33 of33
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Jingo Jack

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2012

Judged:

NMOSE don't know jack.
Earnest Riley

Mayhill, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2012

Judged:

Currently the NM Interstate Stream Commission (NMISC) is pumping the Aquifers down to meet TX allotment mandates and provide for senior water rights holders like CID.

Many wells have gone dry since NMISC started pumping at Seven Rivers well field, Lake Arthur pipeline and the Hagerman Canal.
Get the Facts Right

Carlsbad, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 19, 2012

Judged:

Earnest Riley wrote:
Currently the NM Interstate Stream Commission (NMISC) is pumping the Aquifers down to meet TX allotment mandates and provide for senior water rights holders like CID.
Many wells have gone dry since NMISC started pumping at Seven Rivers well field, Lake Arthur pipeline and the Hagerman Canal.
We have been in drought conditions for over two years now, which dramatically affects water tables in the Pecos Basin. The well fields at 7-Rivers are pumping only about 15,000 acre feet a year. Roswell area farmers are pumping between 300,000-375,000 acre feet a year from the same aquifers which is 20 to 25 times more than what is being pumped at 7-Rivers, yet you don't mention that the Roswell pumping has any effect on water tables dropping or wells going dry. If you are going to tell the story, tell the WHOLE story.
Earnest Riley

Mayhill, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 19, 2012

The facts do not lie. 17 wells have went bone dry in the Lakewood area since you started pumping the 7-rivers well field. The number is going to be much higher once a survey is completed. Turn the pumps off in the 7-Rivers well field before you dry up any more wells.
hey riley

Carlsbad, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 20, 2012

u must be of those fartesia farmers who runs their sprinklers in the fields in the pouring rain. have seen that too many times to count on trips to roswell
Earnest Riley

Mayhill, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 20, 2012

hey riley wrote:
u must be of those fartesia farmers who runs their sprinklers in the fields in the pouring rain. have seen that too many times to count on trips to roswell
"Fartesia farmers" Very creative! But none of the 17 wells that have gone dry since the NMISC has started pumping the 7-Rivers well field are "farming related".
dorkman

Kalispell, MT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2012

Judged:

Doug wrote:
Yes but you must remember that oil company C.E.O'S need more money for their multiple houses , boats and private jets. You don't want to deprive them of these goodies do you.
You are so Santa Fe. You have no brain cells left.

“Brains”

Since: Jan 13

Nom Nom

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 11, 2013

Judged:

It's the sockpocalypse.

Since: Feb 09

Bixby, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 11, 2013

U R an Idiot 2 wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would you need a water line if you have a well!? Also, BES doesn't own a trucking company.
What I did find out is that there is no fire protection on Airport Road for the four residences and six businesses along the road. Maybe that is why the City is installing the 10" pipeline there.
well that could be a reason and of course that would be a worthy a noble cause but that's not it it's because Bristol is making tons of money at the cities expense bye leasing is property up by the airport he gave us triple an donated it to the city and of course the city has to make the improvements I couldn't even get a stupid water line run to my property paid by the city
We live in the desert

Hobbs, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 11, 2013

Carlsbad Resident wrote:
Dairy cattle , beef cattle , hogs , chickens , turkeys also corn , soybeans and wheat fields depend on rain.
The biggest things that depend on rain are water tables , Rivers with Reservoirs, that is where your drinking water, bath water, everything that you use in your home comes from.
Oil companies , Natural gas companies are sucking these water tables dry,- look down the road people, look at the future -, "" what if this drought is just starting "" think about it people.
Without water what do you have nothing !
Carlsbad is situated in the Chihuahuan desert. Low average rainfall, alkaline soil, and extremely low summer humidity. You couldn't pick a worse geographical location in New Mexico to be a farmer than here. That's why few us are employed in the agriculture industry. While I agree that wise use of water is a necessity you can't deny that without our potash, oil, and gas resources we wouldn't be here.
Carlsbad Resident

Hobbs, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 11, 2013

Judged:

We live in the desert wrote:
<quoted text>
Carlsbad is situated in the Chihuahuan desert. Low average rainfall, alkaline soil, and extremely low summer humidity. You couldn't pick a worse geographical location in New Mexico to be a farmer than here. That's why few us are employed in the agriculture industry. While I agree that wise use of water is a necessity you can't deny that without our potash, oil, and gas resources we wouldn't be here.
"While I agree that wise use of water is a necessity you can't deny that without our potash, oil, and gas resources we wouldn't be here".

Without water you have Nothing !
Dune

Artesia, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 11, 2013

Judged:

I have seen the future of Carlsbad, and from downtown here in my era I can assure each of you that your water worries were over-blown back in 2013. What's this?

Oh no. Run! We have WORM-SIGN!
IMNEVERWRONG

Oklahoma City, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2013

Judged:

One can easily see how wasteful the SW states greedily waste water. BAN all grass lawns, except for city parks and golf courses. They can use gray water. Learn to eat vegetarian. Then we can rid ourselves of meat. No cows,pigs, chickens, etc.equals less water required for the food they eat.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 21 - 33 of33
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

5 Users are viewing the Weather Forum right now

Search the Weather Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Weekend snow totals reach 12 inches as month cl... 7 hr snow lover 4
It's almost Easter, so why is there still snow ... 8 hr Weird 1
Winter Making A Return To Tri-State Area With S... 8 hr BPT 18
State matching money approved for FEMA sewer li... 9 hr Teen Urinate in Reservoir 1
Portland ditches drinking water over urination ... 9 hr crazy 1
Michelle Grossman - About NBC 10 News Story - W... (Mar '08) 9 hr No you are The Loser 368
Egg hunt planned for Saturday 16 hr Karen from da burg 4
•••
•••
•••
•••