Hot? Yes. Global Warming? Maybe.

Full story: Seattle's WB 10
The heat was unreal - so blistering that a windowsill thermometer overlooking Olympic Boulevard in downtown Los Angeles blew its top when the mercury hit 130 degrees. Full Story
Stop The Violence

Los Angeles, CA

#1 Jul 26, 2006
yeah i think this is global warming I am a native Compton and never seen this heat
HuskerMac

Omaha, NE

#2 Jul 26, 2006
"LA CAÑADA FLINTRIDGE - Don't blame the seemingly endless heat wave just on global warming - this one's the product of a high-pressure system to the east and California's rapidly expanding growth, said Jet Propulsion Laboratory climatologist Bill Patzert. Together, he said, they have combined to push the temperature 12 to 16 degrees Fahrenheit above normal. "Of the 12 degrees, how much is global warming? I would say 1 degree," Patzert said. "The other 11 degrees is meteorology" and lots of new heat-soaking pavement and other developments." (Pasadena Star-News)

http://www.pasadenastarnews.com/news/ci_40915...
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#3 Sep 16, 2013
Stop The Violence wrote:
yeah i think this is global warming I am a native Compton and never seen this heat
You turned out to be correct.

Todays's news: AURORA, Colo.— A vicious storm lashed the south and eastern portions of the metro area Saturday afternoon, dumping hail and large amounts of rain over already flood-weary neighborhoods.

Major flooding was reported along South Chambers Road in Aurora and many of its cross streets. Portions of Chambers south of 1st were completely impassable. Pavement along Parker Road was reportedly bubbling and buckling under the strain.

Flooding was also emerging along Interstate 225 at 6th Avenue.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#4 Sep 16, 2013
HuskerMac wrote:
"LA CAÑADA FLINTRIDGE - Don't blame the seemingly endless heat wave just on global warming - this one's the product of a high-pressure system to the east and California's rapidly expanding growth, said Jet Propulsion Laboratory climatologist Bill Patzert. Together, he said, they have combined to push the temperature 12 to 16 degrees Fahrenheit above normal. "Of the 12 degrees, how much is global warming? I would say 1 degree," Patzert said. "The other 11 degrees is meteorology" and lots of new heat-soaking pavement and other developments." (Pasadena Star-News)
http://www.pasadenastarnews.com/news/ci_40915...
A climate change is raging.

Today's news: Getting hit by a tropical storm and a hurricane at the same time “is completely atypical” for Mexico, Juan Manuel Caballero, coordinator of the country’s National Weather Service, said at a news conference with Puente.
NobodyYouKnow

Toronto, Canada

#5 Sep 16, 2013
HuskerMac wrote:
"Of the 12 degrees, how much is global warming? I would say 1 degree," Patzert said. "The other 11 degrees is meteorology"
Exactly!

Weather is a produce of proximate causes such as blocking high, cold fronts, etc.

But AGW mades this one degree hotter (maybe). It didn't create the heat wave. It made it HOTTER. And that is what it is expected to do. Make extreme records even more unliveable. Ask a guy sweltering in his apartment with a fan if one degree hotter is ok.

How many will die at 130F vs 131F? The problem is NOT linear.
B as in B S as in S

Minneapolis, MN

#6 Sep 16, 2013
SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>You turned out to be correct.
Todays's news: AURORA, Colo.— A vicious storm lashed the south and eastern portions of the metro area Saturday afternoon, dumping hail and large amounts of rain over already flood-weary neighborhoods.
Major flooding was reported along South Chambers Road in Aurora and many of its cross streets. Portions of Chambers south of 1st were completely impassable. Pavement along Parker Road was reportedly bubbling and buckling under the strain.
Flooding was also emerging along Interstate 225 at 6th Avenue.
Weather extremes are normal... Unless it can be demonstrated that past years contained no extreme weather events.
...in other words 'weather' does not equal ACDDCGCDO.

“Happy, warm and comfortable”

Since: Oct 10

Mountain hideaway, SE Spain

#7 Sep 16, 2013
LessFactMoreHype, alias
NobodyYouEverWantToKnow wrote:
Exactly!
Weather is a produce of proximate causes such as blocking high, cold fronts, etc.
But AGW mades[sic] this one degree hotter (maybe). It didn't create the heat wave. It made it HOTTER. And that is what it is expected to do. Make extreme records even more unliveable. Ask a guy sweltering in his apartment with a fan if one degree hotter is ok.
How many will die at 130F vs 131F? The problem is NOT linear.
The 130ºF was a measurement taken in direct sunlight, Mr Undoubtably Spelt Fourty.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#8 Sep 16, 2013
B as in B S as in S wrote:
<quoted text>
Weather extremes are normal... Unless it can be demonstrated that past years contained no extreme weather events.
...in other words 'weather' does not equal ACDDCGCDO.
Hey b[bs]s, what do you expect? Dinos to rain?
Sad

Los Angeles, CA

#9 Sep 16, 2013
Peace on Earth

“Happy, warm and comfortable”

Since: Oct 10

Mountain hideaway, SE Spain

#10 Sep 17, 2013
Sad wrote:
Peace[sic] on Earth
It's spelt with an I and two Ss.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weather Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Studies link California's record drought and in... 1 hr Dan 1
El Nino may bring drought to Tonga 2 hr Josh 2
Calif. Woman Fined for Saving Water 14 hr Here Is One 3
Body of Texas sheriff's deputy found in lake 17 hr paddyomalley 1
How hot will Columbus be after 100 more years o... 17 hr DadGum 7
Enjoy your winter holidays in Dubai Fri zennyloen 1
First Concrete Poured At Gnarly New Attraction ... (Oct '10) Fri Peter Simmons 8
•••

Weather People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••