One year anniversary of Gatlinburg wi...

One year anniversary of Gatlinburg wildfires brings chilling memories of deadly blaze

There are 11 comments on the WOAY story from Nov 28, 2017, titled One year anniversary of Gatlinburg wildfires brings chilling memories of deadly blaze. In it, WOAY reports that:

Travelers making their way to the Smoky Mountains for this holiday season will now be greeted by warm glowing lights and festive signs. But just one year ago on Tuesday, the Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge and Sevier County areas were ravaged by wildfires that claimed the lives of 14 people, destroyed more than 1,780 structures and caused up to $2 billion of damage in the height of the tourist season.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WOAY.

fire victim

United States

#1 Nov 29, 2017
What happened to the people who were arrested for starting the fire ??

Gatlinburg TN fire victim
Just me

Paducah, KY

#2 Nov 29, 2017
fire victim wrote:
What happened to the people who were arrested for starting the fire ??

Gatlinburg TN fire victim
Charges were dropped.
Curious

Somerset, KY

#3 Nov 30, 2017
Just why were the charges dropped? I heard that but never got the story behind it.
Federal investigation

United States

#4 Nov 30, 2017
Curious wrote:
Just why were the charges dropped? I heard that but never got the story behind it.
The state dropped charges because they didn't have jurisdiction in the federal park. The federal investigation is ongoing.
figgypops

Royersford, PA

#5 Dec 15, 2017
Federal investigation wrote:
<quoted text>
The state dropped charges because they didn't have jurisdiction in the federal park. The federal investigation is ongoing.
I heard on the news that the charges were dropped beause they couldn‘t prove which of four fires those two idiots caused, the one that killed all those people or one of the other three. But, hopefully the federal investigation will turn up something to “nail” those two idiots.
Adult Responsibility

Sevierville, TN

#6 Dec 16, 2017
The two teens started the Chimney Tops fire and the National Park Service (NPS) discovered the fire when it was less than one acre. The NPS gathered information on the fire to determine the best environmental solution to resolve the fire. The NPS service consulted TN Dept of Forestry (TDF) Knoxville office to discuss a aerial attack. TDF Knoxville supervisor, who has no aviation experience, said helicopters would not be effective because of the steep slope and the chemicals used would harm the streams. The NPS determined there was no danger of the fire growing much and allowed everyone who had requested leave for Thanksgiving to go on leave. The National Weather Service (NWS) issued a high wind warning, but NPS and TDF reviewed the weather and determined the NWS's forecast was wrong. Late Friday, an aerial attack once again was discussed and it was determined the $10,000 -$20,000 cost of an aerial attack was not justified. Ranger continued to use shovels and dig a fire line in their SPARE time. Their regular ranger duties were priority over the fire.

The NPS continued to use their own data to forecast weather and the rest is history.
Breaking News

United States

#7 Dec 24, 2017
The morning of disaster with winds forecasted to reach +60 mph. The National Park Service set backfires that jumped the fire line. This information was not in the NPS report and is only in the latest after action report.
Observer

Bluff City, TN

#8 Dec 24, 2017
I still feel strongly, that all the firefighters were by order, over in the Dollywood area, protecting Dollywood. Where the money is. They were there protecting what meant most.
Dollywood

United States

#9 Dec 27, 2017
There was heavy traffic on Veterans Blvd all night long. The news media and the public were everywhere around Dollywood watching the fire over the hill that firefighters were battling. Had they been guarding Dollywood I am sure there would have been plenty of photos.
Sevier Resident

Sevierville, TN

#10 Dec 27, 2017
Observer wrote:
I still feel strongly, that all the firefighters were by order, over in the Dollywood area, protecting Dollywood. Where the money is. They were there protecting what meant most.
Explain all the video of firefighters in downtown Gatlinburg, Ski Mountain, Roaring Fork, and Airport Rd. Explain how the burned firetruck was got from Dollywood to the Pittman Center area.
Gatlinburg Resident

United States

#11 Mar 20, 2018
Gatlinburg Fire Dept was mostly downtown protecting businesses. Pigeon Forge and some others went up Ski Mountain, cleared some trees, and no doubt saved numerous lives that night. Residents were trapped up Baskins Creek Rd and Gatlinburg determined it was hopeless. Six out of town THP officers got out of their vehicles and walked up Baskins Creek to lead everyone to safety.

From the after actions reports, it appears our local government needs some improvement. Like the Sheriffs Department in Parkland, FL, Gatlinburg needs to respond to their citizens.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weather Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Inside The Herald - If a community is only wort... (Jan '08) 6 hr local paper in a ... 66
News River City Mission sees check-ins rise 8 hr Days of our Inns 3
News Science Says: Hotter Weather Turbocharges U.S. ... 10 hr YouDidntBuildThat 2
News Beto O'Rourke visits hurricane-hit areas of Texas (Sep '17) 10 hr Some Fart 14
News Mushroom poisonings on the rise in New Jersey R... 13 hr Smack 1
News Woman rescued from flood waters in Paragould 18 hr Yeah 4
News Deadly heat, wildfires, heavy rain point to glo... Sat God Damned Holy S... 4