Global warming is happening is '10 ti...

Global warming is happening is '10 times faster than at any time in...

There are 134 comments on the Daily Mail story from Aug 2, 2013, titled Global warming is happening is '10 times faster than at any time in.... In it, Daily Mail reports that:

American scientists said if temperatures keep rising at the current rapid pace, significant stress will be places on terrestrial ecosystems Animals face needing to move toward the poles or higher in the mountains by at least one kilometre a year, the study claims Climatologists at Stanford Woods Institute for the Environment believe extreme weather ... (more)

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Daily Mail.

LessHypeMoreFact

Etobicoke, Canada

#83 Aug 7, 2013
HaHa wrote:
<quoted text>i do know the difference. Some places are warmer, some are cooler. The average is warmer nationwide and globally. Our country had the hottest in the 1920s and 30s and then in 1998 and 2012.
All true and mostly due to AGW altering the climate. The exception is the warmth in the US from desertification in the 30's dust bowl. A different issue addressed by contour plowing and low tillage.
HaHa wrote:
<quoted text> Everything is cyclical!
Unsupported ideology. Well, I guess in the LONG term, everything will stay within a range and so you can say it will be back to 'normal' someday. It is the millenia of misery that will occur BEFORE that has some people concerned. Those that recognize that our actions have CONSEQUENCES and to deny them is stupid.

Since: May 13

Location hidden

#84 Aug 10, 2013
The Integral wrote:
<quoted text>
Where do you get your "irrefutable scientific fact(s)?"
According to NASA:
Solar irradiance changes have been measured reliably by satellites for only 30 years. These precise observations show changes of a few tenths of a percent that depend on the level of activity in the 11-year solar cycle. Changes over longer periods must be inferred from other sources. Estimates of earlier variations are important for calibrating the climate models. While a component of recent global climate change may have been caused by the increased solar activity of the last solar cycle, that component was very small compared to the effects of additional greenhouse gases. According to a NASA Goddard Institute for Space Studies (GISS) press release, "...the solar increases do not have the ability to cause large global temperature increases...greenhouse gases are indeed playing the dominant role..." The effects of global climate change are apparent (see section below) despite the fact that the Sun is once again less bright during the present solar minimum. Since the last solar minimum of 1996, the Sun's brightness has decreased by 0.02% at visible wavelengths, and 6% at extreme UV wavelengths, representing a 12-year low in solar irradiance, according to this NASA news article (April 1, 2009). Also, be sure to read this more recent article: 2009: Second Warmest Year on Record; End of Warmest Decade.
http://solar-center.stanford.edu/sun-on-earth...
If you think that NASA is part of a vast conspiracy your tin foil hat is too tight and it is cutting off the flow of blood to your brain.
NASA is not always right and has had to change its views on solar activity more than a few times in recent years.

Yes, the last three cycles referred to in your 2009 reference did not change much. But each was very high activity in relationship to historical activity.

http://lasp.colorado.edu/home/sorce/data/tsi-...

http://www.solen.info/solar/images/comparison...

Predictions about the low activity of cycle 24 have been made by some solar scientists based on the inertial motion since the mid 1990s. NASA however was making predictions of high solar activity in the late 2000s.

http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/SolarCycle/SC24/

To date, SIDC puts cycle 24 max at November of 2011 and SSN has it at February 2012. There has been a steady decrease in activity on each of these data sets since that time.

NASA once thought that the magnetic polarity of the sun would switch at the same time. Our recent observations indicate the northern hemisphere has flipped and the southern hemisphere has not yet begun. Some think this may result in a double max. Cycle 23 had a double max and so did cycle 14. We may yet see increased activity.

http://www.solen.info/solar/images/comparison...

Since: May 13

Location hidden

#85 Aug 10, 2013
HaHa wrote:
<quoted text>i do know the difference. Some places are warmer, some are cooler. The average is warmer nationwide and globally. Our country had the hottest in the 1920s and 30s and then in 1998 and 2012. Everything is cyclical!
Look up the 1500 year climate cycle, Bond events. This is fascinating and can be seen easily in the Greenland ice core data and found not as easily because of precession in the Antarctic ice core data. The 1500 year cycle presents in the NH because of the wobble and in the SH we see the 1000 and 2500 year cycles more easily.

What is also interesting is the studies on solar inertial motion appear to correlate with the 1500 year climate cycle. It is these studies that correctly predicted the measured decrease of the solar magnetic field in 2006 by Ulysses and also predicted that 2012 would see the beginning of a 'cool down'.

"In addition to weakened solar wind, "Ulysses also finds that the sun's underlying magnetic field has weakened by more than 30% since the mid-1990s," says Posner. "This reduces natural shielding even more."

"The average pressure of the solar wind has dropped more than 20% since the mid-1990s," says Dave McComas of the Southwest Research Institute in San Antonio, Texas. "This is the weakest it's been since we began monitoring solar wind almost 50 years ago."

http://science1.nasa.gov/science-news/science...

There is so much more to the impact of solar activity than sunspots are able to show us. The solar mag field also enhances the earth's mag field, which is also in decline.

High solar activity expands the heliosphere which protects us from cosmic rays.

High solar activity enhances the positive phases of the ocean oscillations which happen to be our primary climate makers.

Warmer temps release sequestered CO2, cooler temps sequester CO2.

And it's the sun that creates the urban heat index. Concrete absorbs the heat and retains it for longer periods of time than does the dirt.

El Sol created the global warming and it's now poised to take it away, for a little while.
SpaceBlues

United States

#86 Aug 12, 2013
FF aka Fossil Fuels wrote:
<quoted text>
Look up the 1500 year climate cycle, Bond events. This is fascinating and can be seen easily in the Greenland ice core data and found not as easily because of precession in the Antarctic ice core data. The 1500 year cycle presents in the NH because of the wobble and in the SH we see the 1000 and 2500 year cycles more easily.
What is also interesting is the studies on solar inertial motion appear to correlate with the 1500 year climate cycle. It is these studies that correctly predicted the measured decrease of the solar magnetic field in 2006 by Ulysses and also predicted that 2012 would see the beginning of a 'cool down'.
"In addition to weakened solar wind, "Ulysses also finds that the sun's underlying magnetic field has weakened by more than 30% since the mid-1990s," says Posner. "This reduces natural shielding even more."
"The average pressure of the solar wind has dropped more than 20% since the mid-1990s," says Dave McComas of the Southwest Research Institute in San Antonio, Texas. "This is the weakest it's been since we began monitoring solar wind almost 50 years ago."
http://science1.nasa.gov/science-news/science...
There is so much more to the impact of solar activity than sunspots are able to show us. The solar mag field also enhances the earth's mag field, which is also in decline.
High solar activity expands the heliosphere which protects us from cosmic rays.
High solar activity enhances the positive phases of the ocean oscillations which happen to be our primary climate makers.
Warmer temps release sequestered CO2, cooler temps sequester CO2.
And it's the sun that creates the urban heat index. Concrete absorbs the heat and retains it for longer periods of time than does the dirt.
El Sol created the global warming and it's now poised to take it away, for a little while.
blah blah tall tales are yours, ff.

Why don't you publish them in a science journal? Because your stories are not based on science, they are not print worthy.
B as in B S as in S

Eden Prairie, MN

#87 Aug 12, 2013
SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>blah blah tall tales are yours, ff.
Why don't you publish them in a science journal? Because your stories are not based on science, they are not print worthy.
Mississippi is calling... Time for bed
LessHypeMoreFact

Etobicoke, Canada

#88 Aug 13, 2013
FF aka Fossil Fuels wrote:
<quoted text>
Look up the 1500 year climate cycle, Bond events. This is fascinating and can be seen easily in the Greenland ice core data and found not as easily because of precession in the Antarctic ice core data.
These climate cycles are noted that when it becomes colder in the NH, it is warmer in the SH, and when warmer in the NH, it is colder in the SH.

On AVERAGE, they have no effect. You obviously don't read well. Or are trying to confuse the issue.
SpaceBlues

United States

#89 Aug 13, 2013
ff ia a committed failure in this forum.

Since: May 13

Location hidden

#90 Aug 13, 2013
LessHypeMoreFact wrote:
<quoted text>
These climate cycles are noted that when it becomes colder in the NH, it is warmer in the SH, and when warmer in the NH, it is colder in the SH.
On AVERAGE, they have no effect. You obviously don't read well. Or are trying to confuse the issue.
That's summer and winter and yes I have noticed.

There's a lag time difference in both hemispheres as I have explained many times. Just look at the ice core data for both regions and the time difference becomes very evident.
LessHypeMoreFact

Etobicoke, Canada

#91 Aug 13, 2013
FF aka Fossil Fuels wrote:
<quoted text>
That's summer and winter and yes I have noticed.
Bulloney or smoke. The AVERAGE yearly temperatures change for the NH and SH in opposition. It is a SHIFT of heat between the hemisphere that does not affect the AVERAGE temperature of the planet.

Being totally clueless seems to be your only 'argument'.
FF aka Fossil Fuels wrote:
<quoted text>
There's a lag time difference in both hemispheres as I have explained many times.
That is quite possible since the heat transport BETWEEN the two hemispheres has to be in terms of ocean currents. Teleconnections from the air is blocked at the equator by the Hadley cell convection. But of course, it is also IRRELEVANT.
FF aka Fossil Fuels wrote:
<quoted text>
Just look at the ice core data for both regions and the time difference becomes very evident.
Not sure what you are driving at. The shift of heat from one hemisphere to the other by deep currents is not really a big thing. And it says nothing about AGW since it occurs over MILLENIA.

Two disconnects. The climate cycles do not change the GLOBAL AVERAGE SURFACE TEMPERATURE so it is not relevant to AGW.

The other is that it occurs over a MUCH larger time scale. One more difference (meaning it is not relevant) is the CAUSATION of the climate oscillation vs AGW from higher GHGs.

You seem to have trouble with focus. Try to get it together.

Since: Aug 13

Location hidden

#92 Aug 13, 2013
Let's get a couple things straight.

Firstly, we're living between/after a series of ice ages. Therefore it is perfectly natural that the climate is warming up, but albeit at a much slower pace than it is now.

Secondly, we have to stop destroying the oceans, forests, spewing pollutants into rivers, and all of that, because we will destroy the planet REGARDLESS of whether warming is actually happening. However, global warming is also a very important factor and it is at least partly man-made.
LessHypeMoreFact

Etobicoke, Canada

#93 Aug 14, 2013
Mapusaurus wrote:
Let's get a couple things straight.
Firstly, we're living between/after a series of ice ages.
Yes. Each interglacial is relatively stable and lasts 50,000 years or so before the next Milankovitch cycle returns to ice age conditions.
Mapusaurus wrote:
Therefore it is perfectly natural that the climate is warming up, but albeit at a much slower pace than it is now.
It DID warm up, but that was the exit from the interglacial. It has no relevance to the temperature DURING the interglacial which is reasonably stable. As shown by Mann, et al 1999 or later the 'interglacial' was characterised by a VERY slow cooling (0.2C per millenia) until AGW occurred.
Mapusaurus wrote:
Secondly, we have to stop destroying the oceans, forests, spewing pollutants into rivers, and all of that, because we will destroy the planet REGARDLESS of whether warming is actually happening.
I agree that one calamity does not prevent another. But you miss the point that ALL of these 'unintended side effects' from industrialization have to be met and conquered. AGW included. We need a more SUSTAINABLE model that doesn't consume five plants worth of resources...

And the same forces that block progress on AGW are there blocking progress on ocean productivity, pollution, etc.
Mapusaurus wrote:
However, global warming is also a very important factor and it is at least partly man-made.
Essentially all man made. The solar and aerosols have to be considered but since they are opposite and cancel each other (mostly) the vast majority of the warming is from GHGs. The 'down' cycle of the 200 year solar trend may temporarily cancel some of the warming but that is minor now with about 1C of anomaly and another .5C in the pipeline.
Fun Facts

Huntsville, AL

#94 Aug 14, 2013
Currently earth's periods of glaciation and interglacials are dominated by the eccentic cycle. This cycle is most often described as 100,000 years in duration. It's actually as little as 94-96,000 years and most often cited as 112,000 at it's longest duration.

Hasn't always been that way before 500,000 years ago, periods of glaciation followed the obliquity cycle, 41,000 years.

What appears in the ice core data is that the percentage of time in glaciation is about 90%, interglacials are about 10% of the eccentric cycle.

It is expected that when the summer sun does not melt the winter ice and snow at 65*N the earth will enter another period of glaciation.
Fun Facts

Huntsville, AL

#95 Aug 14, 2013
Correction: should read interglacials are 10% to 15% of the eccentric.
Primeval Predator

Brisbane, Australia

#96 Aug 14, 2013
Its not happining and why is this on the dino forum?
A Wintonensis

Australia

#97 Aug 15, 2013
I bet nobody's going to agree with me but; You know how we send space probes into space, and they come back with a bunch of rocks(sometimes), well the thing is the Earth has lost weight(Newtons) so we go closer to the sun and/or further away from the sun. Any one agree?

Since: May 13

Location hidden

#98 Aug 15, 2013
A Wintonensis wrote:
I bet nobody's going to agree with me but; You know how we send space probes into space, and they come back with a bunch of rocks(sometimes), well the thing is the Earth has lost weight(Newtons) so we go closer to the sun and/or further away from the sun. Any one agree?
Don't know about weight loss, but earth's eccentric cycle orbit causes our sun to be closer and further away from the sun.

http://oceanworld.tamu.edu/students/iceage/im...

http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Features/Orb...
SpaceBlues

United States

#99 Aug 15, 2013
SpaceBlues wrote:
ff is a committed failure in this forum.
Deniers, typically sans science, don't understand the fundamentals in AGW science. Thus, they wait forever for a news that contradicts it. Sorrowful perhaps.
Josh

United States

#100 Aug 15, 2013
There has never been predictable weather.There has never been predictable cycles.Seasons are an illusion of our short life spans,things over time will always change.People tend to view Earth as a fragile delicate ceramic egg.Don't underestimate Earth or the power of life and the magic of evolution.We can pump all the greenhouse gas into the atmosphere that we can muster,clear in a few thousand years.All out nuclear holocaust,wouldn't even know it happened after a million years or so.Oh wait a sec it's Humans your worried about not Earth and life,sorry.
Josh

United States

#101 Aug 15, 2013
Don't get me wrong,the trees and i don't deny the seasons we have become accustomed to.But the first words i read when i was 2 or 3 yrs old "Millions of years ago the world was a much warmer place".Since then to now i know that predicting the next ice age is way out.
SpaceBlues

United States

#102 Aug 15, 2013
Hey Josh, while you are stewing with your own sauce, others are marching ahead leaving you behind. Have a look:

A Met Office spokesman said: "There is a vast body of robust, peer-reviewed evidence produced by leading research centres around the world which shows that the world has warmed and most of that warming is very likely due to an increase in greenhouse gases caused by human activity. We'd welcome Gary Streeter to come in to our Exeter HQ to speak to our scientists about that evidence."

He added: "Our forecasts are right six days out of seven and today's four-day forecasts is as accurate as our one-day forecast was 30 years ago. For example, 87.7% of our next day maximum temperature forecasts are accurate to within 2C."

Read more: http://www.thisiscornwall.co.uk/Devon-MP-Gary...
Follow us:@ThisisNDevon on Twitter | thisisnorthdevon on Facebook

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weather Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The Latest: Obama pledges federal support in fl... 11 hr sore but 15
News Global warming made Paris floods far more likel... 21 hr Earthling-1 115
News Climate change implicated in France floods 22 hr Earthling-1 24
News SJC grants new trial to homeless man in trespas... Wed Golf club 3
News Get furnace checked or face a fine (Nov '14) Wed silly rabbit 96
News New York Attempts to Fight Street Homelessness ... Jun 28 Ice Man 1
News Michelle Grossman - About NBC 10 News Story - W... (Mar '08) Jun 27 Jim 776
More from around the web