Global warming hits Amazon rainforest

Jan 20, 2013 Full story: Summit County Voice 23

A megadrought starting in 2005 resulted in widespread damaged to the canopy of the Amazon rainforest.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
litesong

Everett, WA

#1 Jan 21, 2013
AGW science needs to include consequences from destruction of Amazonian forest by logging, farming & development, also.
PHD

Overton, TX

#2 Jan 21, 2013
pinheadlitesout wrote:
AGW science fiction needs to include MY consequences from destruction of Amazonian forest by logging, farming & development, also.
Get a check up from the neck up.
the Piltdown Pumbler

UK

#3 Jan 22, 2013
litesong wrote:
AGW science needs to include consequences from destruction of Amazonian forest by logging, farming & development, also.
Litesong better see medicine man - injun seem to have smoked too much funny leaves in peace pipe. Him blabber heap big pile of CRAP.
PHD

Overton, TX

#4 Jan 22, 2013
the Piltdown Pumbler wrote:
<quoted text> Litesong better see medicine man - injun seem to have smoked too much funny leaves in peace pipe. Him blabber heap big pile of CRAP.
And an over use amount of fire water.Well it did have that terrible car crash and never got that check up from the neck up.
litesong

Everett, WA

#5 Jan 22, 2013
'pee down the plumber pipe' wrote:
Litesong better see medicine man......
//////////
litesong wrote:
Looks like 'steenking piddling diddliing middling mudling mudslinger dirtling' is back & as slimy steenking filthy vile reprobate rooting (& rotting) racist pukey proud a pig as ever.
litesong

Everett, WA

#6 Jan 22, 2013
Litesong better see medicine man.....
////////
'phud fetid feces face fiend' forecast:
And an over use amount of fire water.
//////////
litesong wrote:
dirtling & 'phud fetid feces face fiend' make as racist a sorry sack of toxic topix AGW deniers as camed arount da cerner.
PHD

Overton, TX

#7 Jan 23, 2013
litesong wrote:
Litesong better see medicine man.....
////////
'phud fetid feces face fiend' forecast:
And an over use amount of fire water.
//////////
litesong wrote:
dirtling & 'phud fetid feces face fiend' make as racist a sorry sack of toxic topix AGW deniers as camed arount da cerner.
More hate from the "pinheadlitesout. Will it ever get that check up from the neck up?
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#8 Feb 3, 2013
litesong wrote:
Well, this one is focused on rainfall. Here's more on the topic:

http://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/features/ear...

and the abstract of the study paper:

Abstract

Recent Amazonian droughts have drawn attention to the vulnerability of tropical forests to climate perturbations. Satellite and in situ observations have shown an increase in fire occurrence during drought years and tree mortality following severe droughts, but to date there has been no assessment of long-term impacts of these droughts across landscapes in Amazonia. Here, we use satellite microwave observations of rainfall and canopy backscatter to show that more than 70 million hectares of forest in western Amazonia experienced a strong water deficit during the dry season of 2005 and a closely corresponding decline in canopy structure and moisture. Remarkably, and despite the gradual recovery in total rainfall in subsequent years, the decrease in canopy backscatter persisted until the next major drought, in 2010. The decline in backscatter is attributed to changes in structure and water content associated with the forest upper canopy. The persistence of low backscatter supports the slow recovery (>4 y) of forest canopy structure after the severe drought in 2005. The result suggests that the occurrence of droughts in Amazonia at 510 y frequency may lead to persistent alteration of the forest canopy.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#9 Feb 3, 2013
About damn time the amazon became opened up for humans to occupy. Another thumbs up to global warming!!
rio

UK

#10 Feb 3, 2013
kjro wrote:
About damn time the amazon became opened up for humans to occupy. Another thumbs up to global warming!!
What a moron!! Totally brainless ...

Killing the rain forest, the source of so many species, to concrete it over with cheap housing!

Location hidden

#11 Feb 3, 2013
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
What a moron!! Totally brainless ...
Killing the rain forest, the source of so many species, to concrete it over with cheap housing!
Absolutely not. Source of so many species and how do these species benefit us? In regard to knowledge? A cure for cancer? Learning? Spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on research when the money could be spent on immediate problems rather than fanciful dream chasing? Cheap housing? Or housing for those in need? The homeless? The Ethiopian child shivering at night with no shelter?

So you tell me, who is Brainless?:)2
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#12 Feb 3, 2013
kjro wrote:
<quoted text>
Absolutely not. Source of so many species and how do these species benefit us? In regard to knowledge? A cure for cancer? Learning? Spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on research when the money could be spent on immediate problems rather than fanciful dream chasing? Cheap housing? Or housing for those in need? The homeless? The Ethiopian child shivering at night with no shelter?
You are utterly ignorant.

Yes, to all of that except your housing thingie. Who says we should worry about a tale over global life!

Location hidden

#13 Feb 3, 2013
SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>You are utterly ignorant.
Yes, to all of that except your housing thingie. Who says we should worry about a tale over global life!
You call me ignorant yet you agree to everything I said? I believe you are not only ignorant but definitely impaired.

Nonetheless, we should worry about a tale over global life? If you mean human beings then you definitely have got your logic screwed up. If that is the argument you stand by, who are we to worry about amazon creatures?

Ignorance may be bliss but stupidity is definitely not.:)
rio

UK

#14 Feb 3, 2013
kjro wrote:
<quoted text>
You are definitely the brainless one for suggesting rehousing Ethiopian children in the Amazon!

The Amazon is a unique source of medical plants, and provide plenty of genetic material for the flora in many different countries. The Amazon is the shelter for a huge number of different fauna species too.
There is nothing fancy, nor a dream in trying to preserve what is left of the largest rain forest left on the planet.
Maybe you are not educated enough to understand the role of forests in recycling water on the planet, and mostly in absorbing carbon monoxide which is created by fossile fuel use and is harmfull to man.

There is no shortage of housing land on earth, it's just the will to make it accessible and affordable that is missing.

Location hidden

#15 Feb 3, 2013
SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>You are utterly ignorant.
And if you are to argue that we should execute all this research in hopes to find a "miracle", what is the purpose of that miracle other than to help "global life"?

Your argument is detrimentally flawed, your logic holds no reasoning. What a fool. I pity you.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#17 Feb 3, 2013
kjro wrote:
<quoted text>
You call me ignorant yet you agree to everything I said? I believe you are not only ignorant but definitely impaired.
Nonetheless, we should worry about a tale over global life? If you mean human beings then you definitely have got your logic screwed up. If that is the argument you stand by, who are we to worry about amazon creatures?
Ignorance may be bliss but stupidity is definitely not.:)
Gosh, you are also stupid. Don't you remember what you wrote? The answers to your ignorant questions were all yes's.

Now you come back with more nonsense. Why have you not heard the Amazon is the Earth's lungs?
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#18 Feb 3, 2013
kjro wrote:
<quoted text>
And if you are to argue that we should execute all this research in hopes to find a "miracle", what is the purpose of that miracle other than to help "global life"?
Your argument is detrimentally flawed, your logic holds no reasoning. What a fool. I pity you.
Gee .. the compliments from an idiot.
Fun Facts

Las Cruces, NM

#19 Feb 3, 2013
Well the Amazon started to experience drought when the PDO switched from prositve to negative causing the ENSO to produce fewer and less powerful El Ninos. Makes sense.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#20 Feb 3, 2013
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
You are definitely the brainless one for suggesting rehousing Ethiopian children in the Amazon!
The Amazon is a unique source of medical plants, and provide plenty of genetic material for the flora in many different countries. The Amazon is the shelter for a huge number of different fauna species too.
There is nothing fancy, nor a dream in trying to preserve what is left of the largest rain forest left on the planet.
Maybe you are not educated enough to understand the role of forests in recycling water on the planet, and mostly in absorbing carbon monoxide which is created by fossile fuel use and is harmfull to man.
There is no shortage of housing land on earth, it's just the will to make it accessible and affordable that is missing.
I'm glad you brougt up the continental differences. I can't imagine a housing shortage in Ehiopia, one of the oldest countries except for refuges due to droughts or [drought-caused] wars.

Also, you should have written carbon dioxide (CO2) instead of carbon monoxide (CO).
PHD

Overton, TX

#21 Feb 4, 2013
SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>Gee .. the compliments from an idiot.
Than you wouldn't have any, take it while its offered.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weather Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Palestinians to submit draft for UN vote 31 min goldstone report 2
Russian ruble extends losses 2 hr The END of RUSSIA 55
Faking it the green way: Artificial grass looks... (May '09) 3 hr Fyi 18
What can I do for excess sweating? (Jan '09) 4 hr William Walker 7
How hot will Columbus be after 100 more years o... 10 hr Will Dockery 8
The BIZARRE reasons why men rape in India 10 hr Spotted Girl 1,042
Storm drops more than four inches of snow in Be... 22 hr Glen the forst Back 14