Record low beef prices hit northern Australia

May 2, 2013 Full story: ABC News 11

TIM PALMER: Graziers are blaming a combination of bad weather and bad government for record low beef prices at Queensland saleyards this week.

Full Story

Since: Dec 10

Perth, Australia

#1 May 2, 2013
Noone has told Coles or Woolies that then....
Teaman

Mount Holly, NJ

#2 May 2, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
Noone has told Coles or Woolies that then....
Is there a live trade suspension? Australian beef has been appearing in American markets as a healthy grass fed beef. Could the suspension be causing a lack of sales volume that would benefit Aussie farmers?

“Tilt my hat at the sun”

Since: Jun 12

And the shadows they burn dark

#3 May 2, 2013
Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
Is there a live trade suspension? Australian beef has been appearing in American markets as a healthy grass fed beef. Could the suspension be causing a lack of sales volume that would benefit Aussie farmers?
Yes there has been, not sure if it's still in place, I think there was some resumption of live trade but not back to what it should be.
The local market is seeing a lot of stock that would otherwise have been exported.
Add to that the drought in some places, far western Queensland for example where farmers have had no choice but to sell their stock because of lack of feed & no water, because the market has been flooded with excess stock prices are way down.
Aho makes a good point, consumers aren't seeing processed meat prices drop so far, the usual profiteering is still going on somewhere along the chain, though I guess in the near future we might see prices drop.

Since: Jan 11

Mount Holly, NJ

#4 May 2, 2013
_0rion_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes there has been, not sure if it's still in place, I think there was some resumption of live trade but not back to what it should be.
The local market is seeing a lot of stock that would otherwise have been exported.
Add to that the drought in some places, far western Queensland for example where farmers have had no choice but to sell their stock because of lack of feed & no water, because the market has been flooded with excess stock prices are way down.
Aho makes a good point, consumers aren't seeing processed meat prices drop so far, the usual profiteering is still going on somewhere along the chain, though I guess in the near future we might see prices drop.
That always seems to be the way. The middlemen still make the money.

You would think if there was a glut in supply that's hurting farmers they would export more. There's a market here.
Devo

Australia

#5 May 2, 2013
Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
That always seems to be the way. The middlemen still make the money.
You would think if there was a glut in supply that's hurting farmers they would export more. There's a market here.
The idiot green freaks are doing all they can to stop it, some are even calling for farmers to be murdered because for some reason the life of a cow is more important than fellow human beings
EuroBoy

Lithuania

#6 May 2, 2013
Greens are the biggest dickhead losers in Australia by far.
It should be legal to walk up a punch ANY green that is waving a stupid sign in the face.

Once they have finished with their push on gay marriage they will be working on making pedophile marriage legal.

Teaman

Mount Holly, NJ

#7 May 2, 2013
EuroBoy wrote:
Greens are the biggest dickhead losers in Australia by far.
It should be legal to walk up a punch ANY green that is waving a stupid sign in the face.
Once they have finished with their push on gay marriage they will be working on making pedophile marriage legal.
Once that line is crossed, I supposed one could marry multiple wives.:-)
Mullet

Australia

#8 May 2, 2013
Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
Once that line is crossed, I supposed one could marry multiple wives.:-)
Stuff that 1 is enough, how much more do you want to suffer?
Good Aussies

Sweden

#9 May 2, 2013
Mullet wrote:
<quoted text>Stuff that 1 is enough, how much more do you want to suffer?
Not if you're a Muslim you can bash and lock them in their harem pen them if they get uppity.

“Tilt my hat at the sun”

Since: Jun 12

And the shadows they burn dark

#10 May 2, 2013
Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
That always seems to be the way. The middlemen still make the money.
You would think if there was a glut in supply that's hurting farmers they would export more. There's a market here.
I don't know if the exports to the US market were affected, we don't hear much about that.
Indonesia was Australia's biggest cattle export market, where most of the cattle that are now flooding the Australian market used to go.
The media aired some footage of cruelty to Australian cattle in Indonesia & their was a huge outcry from the sheeple.
Of course the idiot government jumped on board with the usual knee-jerk reaction & live trade to Indonesia was stopped immediately.

They're working on getting the trade going again but governments working slowly as they do I guess it'll take time.

Perhaps someone at the "Crisis Summit' planned for next week will push the issue for increasing trade to the US.

http://tinyurl.com/cqm6jnj

Devo is right too, the clueless nutters are doing their best to stop the live trade exports of all animals from Australia permanently.
Teaman

Mount Holly, NJ

#11 May 3, 2013
_0rion_ wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know if the exports to the US market were affected, we don't hear much about that.
Indonesia was Australia's biggest cattle export market, where most of the cattle that are now flooding the Australian market used to go.
The media aired some footage of cruelty to Australian cattle in Indonesia & their was a huge outcry from the sheeple.
Of course the idiot government jumped on board with the usual knee-jerk reaction & live trade to Indonesia was stopped immediately.
They're working on getting the trade going again but governments working slowly as they do I guess it'll take time.
Perhaps someone at the "Crisis Summit' planned for next week will push the issue for increasing trade to the US.
http://tinyurl.com/cqm6jnj
Devo is right too, the clueless nutters are doing their best to stop the live trade exports of all animals from Australia permanently.
The US market probably wasn't effected too much. Australian beef is sold as a healthy alternative here, no antibiotics, grass fed, and so on. The exports could be raised a little without the local cattle ranchers raising hell. You're right, the Indonesian market was a big one.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weather Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Wet, windy storm heading to Southern California (Jan '07) 7 hr grafting 2
Pacific storm blast pushes rain into Arizona 8 hr Phoenix 1
Utahns stranded in hotel destroyed by Hurricane... 8 hr Phoenix 1
Mineral Wells Council Votes To Prohibit All Out... 10 hr jonsalis 1
Balkans hit by fresh flooding; three dead 11 hr Tomica Teklic 15
One dead as floods wreak havoc in Serbia 16 hr Lukashenko is Dr ... 2
Pacific storm blast pushes rain into Arizona 18 hr Odile 1
•••

Weather People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••