Staunton VDOT Crews Head to VA Coast ...

Staunton VDOT Crews Head to VA Coast - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA News, Sports and Weather

There are 12 comments on the NBC29 Charlottesville story from Oct 27, 2012, titled Staunton VDOT Crews Head to VA Coast - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA News, Sports and Weather. In it, NBC29 Charlottesville reports that:

On Saturday, Virginia Department of Transportation crews from the Shenandoah Valley headed to the Virginia coast to prepare for Hurricane Sandy.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC29 Charlottesville.

CuriousEyeCiti

Charlottesville, VA

#1 Oct 28, 2012
I just hope if the storm takes a different path northwest that our guys are on a fast- track back to the Blue Ridge area; we'll need them here.
jogger

Charlottesville, VA

#2 Oct 28, 2012
Why are we sending a bunch of VDOT slackers to get in the way of the folks who will actually be doing the work to clean up the storm mess....???
VDOT heck yes

Richmond, VA

#3 Oct 28, 2012
Remember what "VDOT slackers" repairs your roads, clears the snow and debris off the highway. Who do you call when you want your street plowed or you have a pothole. Don't forget those signs that help you get to your distaination. Yep its those slacker who help you out. Hey don't you think that those "Folks that will be cleaning up the mess will be thankful for the help? Don't forget the hours that these slackers from all over the state are away from their families so joggers like you can have a clear safe road to run on!
thinking free

Charlottesville, VA

#4 Oct 28, 2012
VDOT heck yes wrote:
Remember what "VDOT slackers" repairs your roads, clears the snow and debris off the highway. Who do you call when you want your street plowed or you have a pothole. Don't forget those signs that help you get to your distaination. Yep its those slacker who help you out. Hey don't you think that those "Folks that will be cleaning up the mess will be thankful for the help? Don't forget the hours that these slackers from all over the state are away from their families so joggers like you can have a clear safe road to run on!
They can't do it if they ain't here.
VDOT heck yes

Richmond, VA

#5 Oct 28, 2012
VDOT has very very trained and responsive people that are here to help. Not like they sent everyone.
jogger

Charlottesville, VA

#6 Oct 28, 2012
VDOT have you ever tried to contact a VDOT regional headquarters about a traffic concern...You had might as well be p&**g in the wind....VDOT needs to be reduced to a few people and let the professional private contractors do the job....would get done faster and at a substantial cost savings to the taxpayer...I stand by my statement that VDOT is top heavy with do-nothings and slackers....
Anonymous

Charlottesville, VA

#7 Oct 29, 2012
yes traffic is bad here darn you VDOT for causing traffic!!!!!1!
Whiners are losers

Charlottesville, VA

#8 Oct 29, 2012
jogger wrote:
VDOT have you ever tried to contact a VDOT regional headquarters about a traffic concern...You had might as well be p&**g in the wind....VDOT needs to be reduced to a few people and let the professional private contractors do the job....would get done faster and at a substantial cost savings to the taxpayer...I stand by my statement that VDOT is top heavy with do-nothings and slackers....
Just sit at home, shut the f*&() up and let the pros do their job!
Mother of a VDOT worker

Hardy, VA

#9 Oct 29, 2012
jogger wrote:
Yes I have contacted VDOT. No I don't tell them my son works for them. The professional private contractors are what screwed up I81 a couple of years ago during a snow storm, the private contractor that plowed my road was going so fast that he was throwing rocks and snow thru windows and on top of roofs. My son is trained in many things for VDOT, he has been sent to the coast to help along with other guys from different areas. His work hours are 7am to 3:30pm, but if a tree goes down in the middle of the night he goes out and gets it out of the road, if it floods he is out closing roads in the middle of the night, if there is a wreck he is out puting detour signs out and tells people how to go. He is on call 24 hours a day 7 days a week. He is a hard worker and I am proud of him. He is 23 years old and has been with VDOT for 5 years. During storms like this one he may have to work 12 to 15 hours.

Since: Jan 10

United States

#10 Oct 29, 2012
Mother of a VDOT worker wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes I have contacted VDOT. No I don't tell them my son works for them. The professional private contractors are what screwed up I81 a couple of years ago during a snow storm, the private contractor that plowed my road was going so fast that he was throwing rocks and snow thru windows and on top of roofs. My son is trained in many things for VDOT, he has been sent to the coast to help along with other guys from different areas. His work hours are 7am to 3:30pm, but if a tree goes down in the middle of the night he goes out and gets it out of the road, if it floods he is out closing roads in the middle of the night, if there is a wreck he is out puting detour signs out and tells people how to go. He is on call 24 hours a day 7 days a week. He is a hard worker and I am proud of him. He is 23 years old and has been with VDOT for 5 years. During storms like this one he may have to work 12 to 15 hours.
I would like to thank your son for what he does. The VDOT workers I know say the same thing: the private contractors give them a bad name!

My prayers are with your son and the many other transportation workers, electrical contractors, etc. as we weather the storm and they work to keep us safe.
InALLHonesty

Charlottesville, VA

#11 Oct 29, 2012
jogger wrote:
Why are we sending a bunch of VDOT slackers to get in the way of the folks who will actually be doing the work to clean up the storm mess....???
Hey "Jogger" you my friend are a frickin moron! Grow up and get a real job like these fine decent people who risk their lives for the people of Virginia. You make me sick!
Mother of a VDOT worker

Hardy, VA

#13 Oct 29, 2012
I know some of the workers that came from our area to go to the coast and help out. They are all hard workers. Now let me tell you a little about my son. He works at VDOT full time and goes to college. He also is a truck driver. He is a EMT and volunteers at the rescue squad and the fire department in his area. He is well trained at VDOT to run the equipment. He started at VDOT at the age of 18 working full time and also had a full time job at nights. He took classes through VDOT and the fire department and EMT. Now don't call him a slacker.I would like to see the jogger work half as hard as my son does.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weather Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News As anger over election of Donald Trump erupts, ... 1 hr Moanz8144 4,281
News Safe routes to school: Sidewalk work continues ... 13 hr Sidewalks 7
News Recycled wastewater to give Los Angeles County ... (Nov '15) 15 hr Dudley 6
News Michelle Grossman - About NBC 10 News Story - W... (Mar '08) 15 hr syxbysyx 817
News Global warming made Paris floods far more likel... (Jun '16) 16 hr Heretic 145
News Earthquakes in Canada: The impact of climate ch... Sun Eric 1
News Four families homeless after Pittsfield fire; s... Sun Cops are degenerates 1
More from around the web