Two dead, one hurt in crash on slippe...

Two dead, one hurt in crash on slippery roads near Manhattan

There are 31 comments on the The Southtown Star story from Jan 18, 2014, titled Two dead, one hurt in crash on slippery roads near Manhattan. In it, The Southtown Star reports that:

Cars rest off the side of Illinois Route 52 Cedar. Two people died and one was injured in the accident Saturday, Jan. 18, 2014 Sow and slippery roads likely played a role in two-vehicle crash Saturday near Manhattan that left two people dead and one person injured, police said.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Southtown Star.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Who

Chicago, IL

#22 Jan 19, 2014
Were their names released yet?
The falcon

Chicago, IL

#23 Jan 19, 2014
IDOT should imbed speed bumps into the road surface along the shoulders and within the yellow line lane markings.. It's currently a bad situation.
vortex

Manhattan, IL

#24 Jan 19, 2014
Sorry to hear this. A young man was killed there a few weeks back too. It s a fact that the roads in the town of manhattan and the township are NEVER properly plowed and salted. Last snow storm people could not getntheir mail forndays and garbage pick up had to be cancelled thats how poorly the roads are maintained in snow. A former village trustee was even complaining about it.
star gazer

Manhattan, IL

#25 Jan 19, 2014
Who wrote:
Were their names released yet?
If you go to the Southtown website the names are posted. Sympathies to the families of the girls killed. Any update on the thrid passenger?
say what

New Lenox, IL

#27 Jan 19, 2014
star gazer wrote:
<quoted text>
If you go to the Southtown website the names are posted. Sympathies to the families of the girls killed. Any update on the thrid passenger?
Too bad the local Patch couldn't be bothered reporting the story. They're too busy reporting on the Trace Adkins impersonator. Useless!
Two Jokers and a Queen

Cicero, IL

#28 Jan 19, 2014
Jane Byrne won over Michael Bilandic in 79. You mean Manhattan is just learning of the importance of and consequences of such issues? What can Doyle, the car mechanic, add to this forum. Please Mr. Tom Doyle, reply. Your perspective on issues is needed more than your vote.
KMW

Bluffton, SC

#29 Jan 20, 2014
say what wrote:
<quoted text>
This conversation is about a fatal accident in our area. Manhattan is the next town over, we all know people from Manhattan. That's why New Lenox is in on this conversation.
I lived in the area most of my life! I was referring to the town and it's city limits, not the people of NL. Maintenance of the area where the accident occurred does not involve the village of New Lenox, it is Will county's responsibility. That is what I meant about NL not being involved.
20hertz

Manhattan, IL

#30 Jan 20, 2014
Sean wrote:
Seems like this is A dangerous road, not the first fatal accident that has happened there if I remember correctly. Maybe it's Time for county/town to consider A change of some way. No need to mock anyone people lives have been lost.
it is terrible and EXPERIENCE or lack thereof played a role I am sure
Homer

Lemont, IL

#31 Jan 20, 2014
1st amendment wrote:
<quoted text>new lenox police patrol from Illinois hwy to Laraway. These are their boundaries so the city should be dumping heavy salt on this road they also monitor the intersection at Laraway and cedar. So yes it is the responsibility. Got the facts straight nutter butter.
You sir are the one that is incorrect. Yes, the police are responsible for patrolling that stretch of roadway, but it is a road maintained by the Will County highway department, not the village. Just because the police have jurisdiction on that particular stretch of road does not mean that the village maintains it. The NLPD are responsible for Route 30 but it is a state maintained road, not a village maintained roadway.
history buff

Chicago, IL

#32 Jan 20, 2014
Homer wrote:
<quoted text>
You sir are the one that is incorrect. Yes, the police are responsible for patrolling that stretch of roadway, but it is a road maintained by the Will County highway department, not the village. Just because the police have jurisdiction on that particular stretch of road does not mean that the village maintains it. The NLPD are responsible for Route 30 but it is a state maintained road, not a village maintained roadway.
And this is a prime example of the weakness' between differing governmental agencies. No communication and no attention to being swift about things.
hbbb

Beirut, Lebanon

#33 Mar 29, 2014
Omak

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weather Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Hot weather causes horse poop in Throop to burs... 2 hr Parden Pard 5
News Initial Brexit shock is hurting UK _ but sparin... 4 hr gwww 6
News Michelle Grossman - About NBC 10 News Story - W... (Mar '08) 18 hr Dooshy 779
News Get furnace checked or face a fine (Nov '14) 18 hr silly rabbit 107
News Hundreds without power in Charlotte following M... 21 hr CharlottePro 1
News More snow in April than December? That's the ca... Wed snow job 2
News It's Really Hot In DC, So Fed Workers Were Told... Jul 26 davy 2
More from around the web