Citizen's Voice: Cyclists need to find some wider roads

Mar 21, 2009 Full story: www.knoxnews.com 6

Now that we are enjoying some warmer weather, there are a lot of cyclists on the roads in our community.

Full Story
Jethro

Solon, OH

#1 Mar 23, 2009
Car drivers need to find their brake pedal! These are public highways, not necessarily for the exclusive use of cars and trucks.

“global warming is a hoax”

Since: Apr 08

knoxville

#2 Mar 23, 2009
as a long time avid cyclist, when i moved here i found some of these twisty, climbing and descending roads, pure nirvana !!

but that was back about 10 yrs. ago.
now the county has expanded big time out into those rural areas.
so before you could ride and receive a fair bit of respect from drivers.
nowadays every yuppie wannabe and their lexus has moved out to their subdivisions where farmland used to be.
then they get off the freeways exits, hit those roads while maintaining those freeway speeds around blind turns and over hills.
and god help anyone who dares suggest that they might actually drive in a manner that is fitting for the type of road they're on.

i rarely ride my road bike any more because of that.

that being said, i quickly saw where quite a few riders have a rather militant attitude when they ride, going out of their way to be a hindrance to vehicular traffic.
i realized the safest way is to ride solo or with just one other rider.
it's much easier to concentrate and have a much better circle of awareness about you.
Heritage dad

Knoxville, TN

#4 May 31, 2011
The bicycle riders on River Road are jerks. Riding in large groups is not legal, for bicyclist or drivers. Get behind a group of 12 to 15 cyclists going 10 MPH on a hilly, curvy road and you're looking at an accident in the making. How about these people using some of the bike trails that the county has spent millions of dollars building.
Mari Cone

Maryville, TN

#5 Nov 13, 2013
Anyone who wears pants like that in public is of questionable moral composition. My experience with bikers is they are smart asses well versed in pseudo outrage and an overwhelming sense of entitlement. That said, I'm constantly on the lookout for them as I don't want to hurt anyone' no matter how ignorant or how much they enjoy a skinny little seat pumping their backsides like a battering ram.

My definition of solitude, nature route and coexistence are VERY different than those demonstrated by those oh so fashionable bicycle riders.
80sguy

United States

#7 Nov 28, 2013
State law requires cars to stay 3 feet from cyclist. Like it or lump it!
ThomasA

Birmingham, AL

#8 Nov 28, 2013
80sguy wrote:
State law requires cars to stay 3 feet from cyclist. Like it or lump it!
It's time to" share the cost" with the" share the road" idea. How about a one hundred dollar yearly tag fee for cyclists paying for the roads like the motorists pay when they buy gas. Then limit the snails to only roads with pavement wide enough to have bike lanes, NOT narrow shoulderless back roads where you block and impede traffic. Irritating motorists and creating road rage may be your game of fun but sometimes no one sees who flipped your butt off in the ditch so what have you proved other than a deeply hidden death wish?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weather Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Officials: Be aware, be prepared 1 hr jeremy 1
Michelle Grossman - About NBC 10 News Story - W... (Mar '08) 11 hr Old Fool 443
Persistent Drought a Threat to Civilizations - ... 20 hr Jim the Hoax Denier 7
Heavy rains, tornadoes hit northern Missouri 22 hr Zxlsderineom 1
NY man denies plotting to aid Islamic State group Sun shaggy 1
Houston weathers storm with only minor damage Sun That Fart Guy 2
One year after concealed carry, Chicago homicid... Sun Here Is One 1
•••

Weather People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE