Driving Tips for Winter Weather - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA News, Sports and Weather

Full story: NBC29 Charlottesville

Albemarle County Police responded up to eight accidents at a time earlier this week, and with more winter weather headed our way, they hope this weekend won't be the same.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 11 of11
Eaglescout1984

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2012

Judged:

Always slow down on snow.
Keep in mind bridges will accumulate snow before other parts of the road.
If you are driving in traffic, give yourself plenty of stopping distance.
If you are driving in the city, slow down approaching intersections and be prepared to slowly come to a stop in case a light turns red.
Remember, 4x4 or AWD does not apply to your brakes. You have the same brakes as a 2WD version of your car and they cannot stop any better in snow.
If you begin to slide and you have ABS, apply moderate pressure on the brake pedal. A pulsating feel is normal, it means the ABS is working.
If you begin to slide and you do not have ABS, pump the brake pedal.
Even with these techniques, your car may not stop in time, but they can slow it down to lessen damage and injury.
If you need to swerve, do not touch the brake pedal, that will cause your wheels to lock (even with ABS, it will lock in short bursts) and you car will not turn with the wheels locked.
If you have FWD, AWD or 4x4 and you need to swerve, you can apply slight pressure on the accelerator pedal to prevent the front wheels from locking and help turn the vehicle.
If you begin to skid, do not hit the brakes. Turn into the skid and slowly turn back towards the center of the road (as if you meant to drive onto the edge of the road and drive back).
Always keep an eye out for other motorist who may not be in control of their vehicles and be prepared to stop, accelerate or swerve to avoid getting hit.
If you have RWD (and to some extent, 4x4), you will want weight in the back end of your vehicle. This is easier with a pickup, because just about anything will work. For a car or SUV, bags of sand are a great idea because the sand is contained and you can use the sand, if you get stuck, to gain traction.
If you have snow tires, put them on.
Always carry an emergency kit including blanket, flashlight, flares, water, and anything else you may need to spend a few cold hours in your car.
Have a lot of patience, be smart and be prepared for the worst.
Eaglescout1984

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2012

Judged:

(Oh, forgot this tip because I'm used to driving stick): If you have an automatic transmission, keep it in "1" or "2".
Hot stuff

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2012

Three years ago I saw alot of people stuck in vehicles with no gas,wrong type of clothing or footwear.Also take your medication with you and a charged cell phone and or extra battery. People ran out of all the above.You may be able to travel easily but that doesn't mean the road will be open due to the non experiece of the other drivers.
Steven

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2012

Judged:

Do not drive in the fast lane if you are going to go slow.
Beagle Scout

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2012

Judged:

Eaglescout1984 wrote:
(Oh, forgot this tip because I'm used to driving stick): If you have an automatic transmission, keep it in "1" or "2".
Wrong - keep it in drive. You want the highest gear for the least torque and the lowest engine speed driving the wheels. In low gear any touch of the gas is enough to break the wheels loose in slippery conditions.
Nobody important

Waynesboro, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2012

Judged:

Do not go out until all the bad drivers had time to tear up their cars.
driver

Palmyra, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2012

Nobody important wrote:
Do not go out until all the bad drivers had time to tear up their cars.
So "good" drivers never slip/slide/wreck on ice or slush and tear up their car?
Hmmmmm

Palmyra, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2012

Judged:

Steven wrote:
Do not drive in the fast lane if you are going to go slow.
If we're talking about multilane, limited access highways:

THERE IS NO "FAST" LANE!!!!!!!

There is a passing lane. That is on the left. The actual roadway is the right lane. REGARDLESS OF WHETHER YOU THINK YOU ARE "FAST" OR "SLOW" you ride in the RIGHT lane. You move to the left lane to pass (or make way for vehicles entering the roadway which amounts to the same thing). You finish passing AND YOU MOVE YOUR BUTT BACK TO THE RIGHT LANE!!!

THERE IS NO "FAST" LANE!!!!!!! THERE IS A _PASSING_ LANE!!!!

A huge amount of traffic congestion comes from people that don't observe this simple rule. Its how the highways were designed to operate. Do you want smoother and safer traffic flow on interstates? Add one more rule - maintain a consistent speed.

So two rules:
1) pick a speed and do it.
2) stay right except to pass.

Poof - if everyone did this limited access highways would be much safer and have reduced traffic problems
Nobody Important

Waynesboro, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2012

driver wrote:
<quoted text>
So "good" drivers never slip/slide/wreck on ice or slush and tear up their car?
No I am not saying that. But you are far less likely to loose control of your car by driving slow. I am talking about those who think running 55 mph on ice covered roads is ok and very safe. I can say I never have crashed my car in winter weather sense the day I started driving 20+ years ago. What I am saying is let the speed demons thin out so the roads are a little safer to drive on.
Steven

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

Hmmmmm wrote:
<quoted text>
If we're talking about multilane, limited access highways:
THERE IS NO "FAST" LANE!!!!!!!
There is a passing lane. That is on the left. The actual roadway is the right lane. REGARDLESS OF WHETHER YOU THINK YOU ARE "FAST" OR "SLOW" you ride in the RIGHT lane. You move to the left lane to pass (or make way for vehicles entering the roadway which amounts to the same thing). You finish passing AND YOU MOVE YOUR BUTT BACK TO THE RIGHT LANE!!!
THERE IS NO "FAST" LANE!!!!!!! THERE IS A _PASSING_ LANE!!!!
A huge amount of traffic congestion comes from people that don't observe this simple rule. Its how the highways were designed to operate. Do you want smoother and safer traffic flow on interstates? Add one more rule - maintain a consistent speed.
So two rules:
1) pick a speed and do it.
2) stay right except to pass.
Poof - if everyone did this limited access highways would be much safer and have reduced traffic problems
I can agree to that.
sez you

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

Judged:

Nice advice, like the SUV drivers think they need to heed it. I used to push snow for the state on 64, unbelievable the amount of cars,and SUVs, in ditches as a result of driving too fast for conditions. The roads were very passable but you had to use your head, alot of drivers just don't. That, I'm afraid will not change.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 11 of11
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••