Dismal Swamp fire causing local smoke concerns

There are 14 comments on the WAVY Norfolk Hampton Roads story from Jun 12, 2008, titled Dismal Swamp fire causing local smoke concerns. In it, WAVY Norfolk Hampton Roads reports that:

Whenever the wind shifts we all can feel the affects. The winds from a wildfire blazing through the Dismal Swamp makes it hard to even get outside to mow the lawn.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WAVY Norfolk Hampton Roads.

Kyle

Williamsburg, VA

#1 Jun 14, 2008
I live up in James City County and we have been getting the smoke up here. It is irritating my eyes big time. I can only imagine what those who live closer to the fires are going though. Lucky for me I do not get the smoke all day long.
kandie

Virginia Beach, VA

#2 Jun 14, 2008
THEY REALLY NEED TO PUT OUT THE FIRE BECAUSE I LIVE IN VIRGINIA BEACH VA AND I CAN SMELL THE SMOKE AND ITS BAD WHEN IS THE RAIN COMMING HUH SO PLEASE TELL THE PEOPLE THAT ARE MAKING THIS FIRES TO STOP IT ITS KILLING OTHER PEOPLE THANKYOU KANDIE SKINNER
Kaitlynnn Appel

Hampton, VA

#3 Jun 14, 2008
HAMPTON,VA

"The smoke is so strong that if
you step outside you can see,feel,and
smell how bad the smoke is
and you can imagine how bad the fire
was."

(I am ten years old )
Cathy

Norfolk, VA

#4 Jun 14, 2008
I wonder where all the wild life is going? What's in that area? Bears , bobcats, deer, fox, snakes...?
Karen Tiller

Norfolk, VA

#5 Jun 16, 2008
It is scary how much smoke there is and what health risks it might bring. It sounds like they are having trouble containing it. Does anyone know what the air/smoke ratio is so that we should be worried? One co worker called in sick today with a headace
Here is a site Ihttp://www.refugewatch.org/20 08/06/15/fire-at-great-dismal- swamp-nwr/ found some information one.
Pronatalist

United States

#6 Jun 16, 2008
And in reply to the posts I see above now:

Didn't I read that it started from a lightning strike? Are they having trouble containing it? Uh, yeah, probably because it's huge? And because some of those wildfires, are just going to do what they are going to do, or dig in and smolder in the peat, until some good rains come.

I hardly think that the annoying smoke is fatal, and they don't need to put it out on account of the smoke, because easier said than done, forest fire suppression is really expensive, and isn't property protection and human lives the main concern, not ordinary unpreventable natural summertime smoke?

It's much like a "really big campfire" I imagine. The smoke isn't so bad, except when you accidently get downwind of it, and your eyes burn briefly until the wind direction changes or the fire naturally calms down some. At least weather already sort of helps take care of wildfire smoke, by dispersing it, taking it up high in the sky, sometimes blowing it out over the ocean. Anyway, the smoke is temporary and will likely soon pass.

(Huh, where's the post I was replying to here? Did I pop onto yet another forum or something?)

Yeah, I agree. What's so much the big deal with a bunch of summer smoke in the air? Don't they say these days that summertime forest fires, are natural and to be expected? So be careful, but life goes on.

The clouds of billowing smoke would be naturally beautiful, were they actually visible through the haze? I can't see anything from where I am unless I find photos on the internet.

Go on and mow the grass or whatever needs to be done, like everything's normal. Huge billowing clouds of smoke in the distance, don't stop life from going on almost normal. It's not the end of the world, just a natural process. The natural result of having an oxygenated atmosphere so we can breathe. Unless one is just looking for any possible excuse to take the day off or have an excuse to boycott over-priced price-gouged gasoline?

If we really want "wild" and undeveloped wildlife refuges, then isn't the occasional "wildfires" perhaps a natural part of that? If we don't prune or log the overgrowth, from time to time, it's going to tend to burn a bit, when dry or windy weather allows.

BTW, if nature can naturally pollute so much, then so may humans pollute somewhat too, within reason.
constantcoughing

Hampton, VA

#7 Jun 27, 2008
You are absurd. Try living in this stuff everyday for 3 weeks and have small children who now cough and wheeze because of it. You are commenting but say that you don't even see it yourself, you have no right to comment here because you are not experiencing the truth of this situation. It is debilitating. Imagine driving your children to school in the morning and not being able to see 50 yards in front of you on the road. Its' that bad. I invite you to Chesapeake for the week so you can experience it and make intelligent comments from here on out. Be thankful you do't have it where you live and don't judge us and our suffereing up here. You know nothing.
Pronatalist wrote:
And in reply to the posts I see above now:
Didn't I read that it started from a lightning strike? Are they having trouble containing it? Uh, yeah, probably because it's huge? And because some of those wildfires, are just going to do what they are going to do, or dig in and smolder in the peat, until some good rains come.
I hardly think that the annoying smoke is fatal, and they don't need to put it out on account of the smoke, because easier said than done, forest fire suppression is really expensive, and isn't property protection and human lives the main concern, not ordinary unpreventable natural summertime smoke?
It's much like a "really big campfire" I imagine. The smoke isn't so bad, except when you accidently get downwind of it, and your eyes burn briefly until the wind direction changes or the fire naturally calms down some. At least weather already sort of helps take care of wildfire smoke, by dispersing it, taking it up high in the sky, sometimes blowing it out over the ocean. Anyway, the smoke is temporary and will likely soon pass.
(Huh, where's the post I was replying to here? Did I pop onto yet another forum or something?)
Yeah, I agree. What's so much the big deal with a bunch of summer smoke in the air? Don't they say these days that summertime forest fires, are natural and to be expected? So be careful, but life goes on.
The clouds of billowing smoke would be naturally beautiful, were they actually visible through the haze? I can't see anything from where I am unless I find photos on the internet.
Go on and mow the grass or whatever needs to be done, like everything's normal. Huge billowing clouds of smoke in the distance, don't stop life from going on almost normal. It's not the end of the world, just a natural process. The natural result of having an oxygenated atmosphere so we can breathe. Unless one is just looking for any possible excuse to take the day off or have an excuse to boycott over-priced price-gouged gasoline?
If we really want "wild" and undeveloped wildlife refuges, then isn't the occasional "wildfires" perhaps a natural part of that? If we don't prune or log the overgrowth, from time to time, it's going to tend to burn a bit, when dry or windy weather allows.
BTW, if nature can naturally pollute so much, then so may humans pollute somewhat too, within reason.
Henryswww

Virginia Beach, VA

#8 Jun 28, 2008
This really is very bad.(the smoke in the air) I know that it must be hard for the firefighters, cause it's hard for me just walking out my front door. Once again, the local goverment is completely unprepared, and is not helping anyone in any way. They dont even show the smoke on the weather, and this is the worst thing Ive ever seen happen around here. I'm ready to MOVE AWAY! Easy for people not dealing with it to scoff, but its really really bad! SHAME on the governer,the mayor, and the emergency response! shame shame shame! This has been going on for weeks and is taking a toll my family's health. This is a real disaster and no one is doing anything! Why arent they doing anything...? How long will we have to endure this? Seems like they are waiting for it to rain... good plan. It usually dosent rain again until sept... Until then our town, our cars, our houses, and our clothes, look and smell like a peice of smouldering charcol.
knightslady

Virginia Beach, VA

#9 Jul 4, 2008
Not to mention, those of us who suffer from serious asthma or other breathing conditions. We can't even go outside to water our yards, run errands, or God forbid, enjoy our summer, without getting very sick and risking our health. This is not a simple matter of "let it take it's course" or "go on like normal". Pronatalist, it's obvious that you are talking without a true understanding of the seriousness of the situation
Pronatalist

United States

#10 Jul 8, 2008
knightslady wrote:
Not to mention, those of us who suffer from serious asthma or other breathing conditions. We can't even go outside to water our yards, run errands, or God forbid, enjoy our summer, without getting very sick and risking our health. This is not a simple matter of "let it take it's course" or "go on like normal". Pronatalist, it's obvious that you are talking without a true understanding of the seriousness of the situation
Well it's not the first time that a forest or swamp or whatever, has been on fire before. The sky isn't falling, it's not the end of the world.

You can't just "move away" because forest fires could be in some other place, the next dry summer.

Waiting for rain, sounds a bit like a plan, as what else can really stop a large wildfire, at a reasonable cost?

I suspect that some people may these days be more sensitive to the annoyance of natural forest fires, as smoking nasty cancer stick cigarettes, or the chronic direct pollution of the lungs, has long been in decline. And people these days, probably don't even experience many campfires or even make a fire in the fireplace. Modern heating system furnaces are so clean, that "smoke" is almost nearly forgotten. And yet we still can't "control" every aspect of nature.
Holly

United States

#11 Aug 9, 2011
Does anyone know if there are health risks to pregnant women? Its already hard to breathe as it is - this isn't helping. Should I be concerned or just deal with it?
Betty

Virginia Beach, VA

#12 Aug 9, 2011
kandie wrote:
THEY REALLY NEED TO PUT OUT THE FIRE BECAUSE I LIVE IN VIRGINIA BEACH VA AND I CAN SMELL THE SMOKE AND ITS BAD WHEN IS THE RAIN COMMING HUH SO PLEASE TELL THE PEOPLE THAT ARE MAKING THIS FIRES TO STOP IT ITS KILLING OTHER PEOPLE THANKYOU KANDIE SKINNER
I also live in Virginia Beach and the smell of smoke is all through my house. I am afraid to open my door for fear that it will get worse inside. My dad lives in Bowers Hill, Chesapeake and is on oxagen and is having a hard time with all the smoke. Pray that it will be put out soon. Thanks Betty
felicia

Virginia Beach, VA

#13 Aug 9, 2011
I woke up this morning and thought our housing area was burning bushes and dead branches. The smell is so bad it was coming inside the house even though all the doors and windows have been closed. It was not till I went to the Commissary that I noticed it was not my housing area but the whole beach area. Soo not kewl.
felicia

Virginia Beach, VA

#14 Aug 9, 2011
Holly wrote:
Does anyone know if there are health risks to pregnant women? Its already hard to breathe as it is - this isn't helping. Should I be concerned or just deal with it?
Im no Doctor but I would imagine that as long as you stayed indoors the majority of the day you should be fine. To me its as if the whole neighborhood decided to BBQ at once.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weather Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Why Can't Other Plug-In Hybrids Copy Chevy Volt... 14 hr iluvmyVolt 20
News Flood of 1973 remembered by many as high water ... (Sep '11) 15 hr Doris Dwyer 15
News Warden fired at max-security western Md. prison (Feb '14) 16 hr Wetnet 18
News Here's Everything Leaving Netflix In May Thu starfire 09 1
News Storm renews flooding concerns near Colorado bu... Wed Jingle Clown 1
News New flood watch issued for South Platte Wed Jingle Clown 1
News Drought becomes focus of Earth Day in California Wed fiber one 27
More from around the web