Climate change and global cities

Climate change and global cities

There are 265 comments on the The New Zealand Herald story from Oct 8, 2013, titled Climate change and global cities. In it, The New Zealand Herald reports that:

Element takes a look at what authorities in Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch are expecting, how they are trying to minimise the damage, and how their plans shape up against those elsewhere.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The New Zealand Herald.

lowprofile

Flagstaff Hill, Australia

#210 Dec 2, 2013
Carl wrote:
<quoted text>
Dude, you're in denial...comforting though, eh?
Please show me where my statement is wrong brainwashed idiot.

“Educating Utus”

Since: Aug 10

Papakura, New Zealand

#211 Dec 2, 2013
LessHypeMoreFact wrote:
<quoted text>
Repeating a lie over and over doesn't make it true.
My point exactly. The alarmists have cried wolf once too often and while I know you probably feel the guilt imposed on you by the scare mongers for decades must be appeased by spouting these untruths, the rest of the world are starting to seriously question this global warming fairy tale.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/larrybell/2013/08...
lowprofile

Flagstaff Hill, Australia

#212 Dec 2, 2013
Torqueing Heads wrote:
<quoted text>My point exactly. The alarmists have cried wolf once too often and while I know you probably feel the guilt imposed on you by the scare mongers for decades must be appeased by spouting these untruths, the rest of the world are starting to seriously question this global warming fairy tale.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/larrybell/2013/08...
TH none of it really matters now, the IPCC is on it's last legs and the global 'carbon' market has collapsed, it's just a matter of time now and it will all be in the past.

“Educating Utus”

Papakura, New Zealand

#213 Dec 2, 2013
lowprofile wrote:
<quoted text>
TH none of it really matters now, the IPCC is on it's last legs and the global 'carbon' market has collapsed, it's just a matter of time now and it will all be in the past.
Yes but dismantling their argument and watching them clawing the thin ice amuses me.
LessHypeMoreFact

Orleans, Canada

#214 Dec 2, 2013
Torqueing Heads wrote:
<quoted text>Yes but dismantling their argument and watching them clawing the thin ice amuses me.
Delusions too? You need help.

Oh, and the science is both well established and immune to your heckling. Idiots and fools that cannot understand the issues will always be with us, so you are excused.

“Educating Utus”

Papakura, New Zealand

#215 Dec 3, 2013
LessHypeMoreFact wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, and the science is both well established and immune to your heckling. Idiots and fools that cannot understand the issues will always be with us, so you are excused.
The sky is not falling, we're all ok, now take a deep breath!

Since: Nov 08

Auckland

#216 Dec 3, 2013
LessHypeMoreFact wrote:
<quoted text>
So...this only works one way, huh? Funny that....

Crikey - talk about the height of arrogance.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#217 Dec 3, 2013
LessHypeMoreFact wrote:
<quoted text>
That is the point here. Posters like dishant are trying to use politics and economics to create a desire to deny, rather than debating the science itself which they have been unable to do. By creating a 'world government' of 'communist threat' conspiracy theory and assigning AGW to it, they hope to use fear and demagoguery to prevent action. Dishonest of him, but it has to be fought on the grounds they select.
We may be off topic but you are not getting the point. Its not a matter of Science alone. Our whole life and Society is going to be altered because of Global Warming/Climate Change.
Carbon taxes and Carbon Trading are already here. Plus the dangerous UN Agenda 21 is also being implemented.
Planned o opolis the dystopian future of humanity http://m.youtube.com/watch...
lets assume global warming is real so why dont they come up with alternatives.
LessHypeMoreFact

Orleans, Canada

#218 Dec 3, 2013
Gutsfull wrote:
<quoted text>
So...this only works one way, huh? Funny that....
Crikey - talk about the height of arrogance.
You think that ignorance should have 'equal say' with the scientific method. Hm.. Tells me a lot about YOU.

And yes. Science only works one way. That is how we have PROGRESSED for the last millenium or so, instead of going round and round and round..
LessHypeMoreFact

Orleans, Canada

#219 Dec 3, 2013
Dishant wrote:
<quoted text>
We may be off topic but you are not getting the point.
You don't have a point. You have a conspiracy theory and it is bullshit as I point out.
Good Aussies

Iceland

#220 Dec 3, 2013
LessHypeMoreFact wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't have a point. You have a conspiracy theory and it is bullshit as I point out.
What he's talking about is definitely conspiratorial by the elite but there's no theory attached to it.

It's quite out in the open that elites from many areas have been calling for a "new world order" for many decades now.

These elites conspire together (big business and ruling over them the money masters, which is an excellent documentary by the way). Politicians are just paid off employees of the money masters which is why they continually do everything against national interests in the west.

The goal of these money masters is to create war to steal resources, see John Perkins, confessions of an economic hitman, and as a side effect, create refugees, guilt, to uproot ethnicities and force them together. This is happening most obviously in the West with the genocide of Europeans in full swing.

You can call it a conspiracy theory but what it is is a conspiracy.

They also want to introduce a cashless society so that everything has to go through a computer which is auditable and trackable.

Amongst thousands of other different agendas and side projects they are working on, I can elaborate more if you wish.
B as in B S as in S

Savage, MN

#221 Dec 3, 2013
LessHypeMoreFact wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow really???... If that is the most intelligent contribution you can make in defense of CAGW Orthodoxy then
you guys are really screwed.

And... You guys who are so very afraid of Carbon are the ones who FAIL to use science to support your belief in CAGW.

LOGIC proves you do not have science on your side...
Without skepticism there can be no science..
You have no skepticism.
Therefore you have no science to support your fears.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#222 Dec 3, 2013
LessHypeMoreFact wrote:
<quoted text>
Only people brainwashed by the globalist controlled media thinks that its all a conspiracy.
Its all documented facts.
The globalist media first started to perpetuate Global Cooling lie. The New York times and other major newspapers reported the Global Cooling rubish then after some time they changed it to Global Warming.
GET IN THE REAL WORLD. The Ruling Elite runs the whole world.

Auckland

#223 Dec 3, 2013
LessHypeMoreFact wrote:
<quoted text>
You think that ignorance should have 'equal say' with the scientific method. Hm.. Tells me a lot about YOU.
And yes. Science only works one way. That is how we have PROGRESSED for the last millenium or so, instead of going round and round and round..
It's time you got off your high horse. Where did I mention ANYTHING about ignorance having equal say with scientific method? If there was unanimous consensus amongst the scientific community, then you would find there were no skeptics. But the consensus is far from unanimous, AND the science is far from settled.

If we were to all follow blindly (like you demonstrate here), we would not have PROGRESSED at all.

Science only works one way...YOUR way, right? What a joke YOU are.

Get a life.
Sheila

Annandale, Australia

#224 Dec 3, 2013
You're so ignorant and poorly educated Wally, I don't even know why I bother responding to your inane posts at all, even when only to scorn them.

Go here and educate yourself - and don't worry, it even has pictures to help you understand the words...
http://www.skepticalscience.com/cherrypicking...

and here...
http://www.skepticalscience.com/global-coolin...

and here...
http://www.skepticalscience.com/global-coolin...

and here...
http://blogs.agu.org/wildwildscience/2013/05/...

Since you clearly don't understand the distinction between climate and weather, you probably should start here to see why your factually incorrect claim of any globally cooling climate trend is complete and utter nonsense...
http://www.csiro.au/Outcomes/Climate/Question...

Finally, here are the official facts about global warming according to our own government - yes, that would indeed be your beloved Abbott's government - kindly point out where it says anything about global cooling during the last decade and a half...
http://www.climatechange.gov.au/sites/climate...

It's not so hard to make you look foolish my friend, you do most of the work yourself.

lowprofile wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey bimbo, how do you explain the fact that there has been NO rise in the global temperature for the last 15 years or so. Even the IPCC has had to begrudgingly admit this fact. Please explain it to us, you would have learnt all about climate change during your "education" surely LOL.
Sheila

Annandale, Australia

#225 Dec 3, 2013
Science is not a process of consensus, it is one of acceptance of the evidence in support of a given hypothesis, and thus strengthening the likelihood of that hypothesis being correct. In other words, science accepts the explanation which best fits the facts, and this remains the case until a better explanation is given.

The overwhelming majority of scientists in related disciplines accept the empirical evidence which underlies the projections made by climate science indicating a warming planet.

While there is certainly much discussion about some of the detail, there is general broad agreement on the fundamental mechanics of our global climate system and where it is heading.

To assert otherwise is disingenuous at the very least, and completely dishonest in the worst cases.

Gutsfull wrote:
<quoted text>
It's time you got off your high horse. Where did I mention ANYTHING about ignorance having equal say with scientific method? If there was unanimous consensus amongst the scientific community, then you would find there were no skeptics. But the consensus is far from unanimous, AND the science is far from settled.
If we were to all follow blindly (like you demonstrate here), we would not have PROGRESSED at all.
Science only works one way...YOUR way, right? What a joke YOU are.
Get a life.
litesong

Everett, WA

#226 Dec 3, 2013
gussyfull wrote:
It's time you got off your high horse.
All the better to tell that you ride a tall hobby horse. You think it moves because it rocks back & forth, so you think it is real. Conversely, you think the Earth operates, with the weather going up & down, but do not understand or see the changes that move Earth temperatures in one direction.
beatlesinthebog

Auckland, New Zealand

#227 Dec 3, 2013
LessHypeMoreFact wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives...
"It is extremely likely that more than half of the observed increase in global average surface temperature from 1951 to 2010 was caused by the anthropogenic increase in greenhouse gas concentrations and other anthropogenic forcings together. The best estimate of the human-induced contribution to warming is similar to the observed warming over this period. "
And yes. It is the mission of the IPCC to report it, while it seems to be your mission to excrete unfounded bullshit.
Yawn!....Ever noticed how self-professed experts when debating a subject with others not in agreement with their views tend to move into abuse (sometimes quite childish)??? Makes one think that for all their long-winded bluster they're actually not sure themselves!....just a thought. Of course with your higher education you would know the definition of "expert"?

Auckland

#228 Dec 3, 2013
Sheila wrote:
Science is not a process of consensus, it is one of acceptance of the evidence in support of a given hypothesis, and thus strengthening the likelihood of that hypothesis being correct. In other words, science accepts the explanation which best fits the facts, and this remains the case until a better explanation is given.
The overwhelming majority of scientists in related disciplines accept the empirical evidence which underlies the projections made by climate science indicating a warming planet.
While there is certainly much discussion about some of the detail, there is general broad agreement on the fundamental mechanics of our global climate system and where it is heading.
To assert otherwise is disingenuous at the very least, and completely dishonest in the worst cases.
<quoted text>
Blah blah blah. Should have saved your breath…I DON'T need a lecture on the english language, or more specifically what the term 'science' means. Incidentally, consensus IS a significant part of the equation, otherwise we would be completely at sea amidst various theories from different quarters, not knowing what to believe. To tell us that we have to blindly accept the propaganda put forward by just one side of the debate…? Your arrogance is showing through, which seems to be a common theme amongst the AGW set.

Anyway, are you old enough to remember back in the seventies, when the scientific consensus was that we were supposed to be heading for a mini ice age?

And then we were told that warming was a problem. Yet the latest information that I'm aware of shows that we haven't been warming at all for over a decade.

While I find it rather peculiar how it changed from 'global warming' to 'climate change' over the last few years, what gets me most is that the cause of climate change has the finger of blame pointing squarely at human activity. Seemingly ignoring the fact that this is NOT the first time climate has changed, and in fact climate has changed many many times in the past - well before humans were even around, let alone engaging in activities that produce co2. Unless the dinosaurs were all driving Hummers and utilizing energy from coal fired power plants…??

I'm not arguing that the climate is changing…we all live on the same planet and we can all see what is going on. I concur that the climate is indeed changing. But there is no INDISPUTABLE proof that our activities are to blame. Add in the fact that there is big money involved in all of this, plus the fact that the doomsday predictions have totally failed to eventuate, why is it so hard for you to accept that there are others who don't share your views? Let me guess…it's that damned arrogance again, eh?

Auckland

#229 Dec 3, 2013
litesong wrote:
<quoted text>
All the better to tell that you ride a tall hobby horse. You think it moves because it rocks back & forth, so you think it is real. Conversely, you think the Earth operates, with the weather going up & down, but do not understand or see the changes that move Earth temperatures in one direction.
WTF...are you on crack? The earth's temperature has indeed moved up AND down, pretty much since it all began 4.5 billion years ago. Is anyone here even arguing that fact? Go take another hit on your pipe.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weather Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Gov. Abbott picks Kathaleen Wall in Houston con... 3 hr Walter glen stockton 2
News Anti-Trump protesters outside the new US Embass... 5 hr Politically Incor... 75
News Global warming roars on: Past four years have b... 9 hr hojo 7
News How the Bible helps Pence navigate his role as ... 17 hr Cujo 33
News Members of the Puerto Rican community listen as... Mon America Gentleman... 1
News Faith groups provide the bulk of disaster recov... Mon DeDominicis 21
News Threat of freezing rain in Toronto to appear le... Mon Mother Nature 1
More from around the web