Stagnant Water a Lingering Problem, P...

Stagnant Water a Lingering Problem, Portland Residents say - Eric Alvarez

There are 6 comments on the WZTV Top Stories story from Jul 7, 2013, titled Stagnant Water a Lingering Problem, Portland Residents say - Eric Alvarez. In it, WZTV Top Stories reports that:

Portland resident Donna Brown says rising waters have flooded a family car, eroded their driveway and even come through a door and seeped into their hardwood floors, and says the city needs to do something about it.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WZTV Top Stories.

Way to go

Franklin, KY

#1 Jul 10, 2013
I like the way Ms Brown operates. Went straight to TV, now city hall will have to respond.
Interesting

Portland, TN

#2 Jul 10, 2013
This is another of the areas, like Northview was that HAD been in a flood plain until someone wanted to develop it. And now they wonder why it's flooding. I feel bad for the homeowners in the area.
Homeowner

Portland, TN

#3 Jul 11, 2013
Way to go wrote:
I like the way Ms Brown operates. Went straight to TV, now city hall will have to respond.
I like that she went to the news, too -- seems that is the only way to get attention called to an issue that has been either ignored or having not wanted to have to deal with. I hope something can be done to fix this problem. This has been a problem since that subdivision was built, hasn't it ? Why wasn't the water issue foreseen and corrected then ? When building permits are issued, aren't they supposed to look for potential problems and drainage issues in the beginning ? Why has this taken so long to take care of ? Who built this subdivision ?
Slippery Slopes

Franklin, KY

#4 Jul 11, 2013
Homeowner wrote:
<quoted text>
I like that she went to the news, too -- seems that is the only way to get attention called to an issue that has been either ignored or having not wanted to have to deal with. I hope something can be done to fix this problem. This has been a problem since that subdivision was built, hasn't it ? Why wasn't the water issue foreseen and corrected then ? When building permits are issued, aren't they supposed to look for potential problems and drainage issues in the beginning ? Why has this taken so long to take care of ? Who built this subdivision ?
Did one of the councilman have his hand in developing this subdivision? It is great to contact outside media because you won't ever see a damn thing here. I do remember seeing items on fave book about it either a councilman or that citizens group or cac or whatever it was. What got the firehall fixed a young feller running for council raised hell to anyone who would listen and the pressure got so great the city had to do something. I sure wish that feller had been elected to the council. Things would have changed for the good.
Homeowner

Portland, TN

#5 Jul 11, 2013
Slippery Slopes wrote:
<quoted text>
Did one of the councilman have his hand in developing this subdivision? It is great to contact outside media because you won't ever see a damn thing here. I do remember seeing items on fave book about it either a councilman or that citizens group or cac or whatever it was. What got the firehall fixed a young feller running for council raised hell to anyone who would listen and the pressure got so great the city had to do something. I sure wish that feller had been elected to the council. Things would have changed for the good.
You're right about that ! I wish he had too !! We need more people like him here !
hmm

Maggie Valley, NC

#6 Sep 4, 2013
If she can't sell or enjoy the property, this now occurring problem is effectively a common law, statuatory and possibly even a criminal trespass resulting in a "taking", creating a private nuisance and also a public nuisance.

Inverse condemnation is a possible path which could bring a fair and equitable remedy.

About like what happened to all the poor spineless schmucks on Gallatin Courthouse Square when the City of Gallatin went even one further than actually just taking their buildings with their Criminal Trespasses.

Follow the money for whatever funding created the problem, if, like the project on Gallatin's Courthouse Square, any aspect of it was federally funded, like maybe via ARRA or other means, you may have some contractual compliance language with real teeth.

Most attorneys seem to overlook such technicalities.

Good luck and I do hope for good results for Ms Brown, her neighbors as well as to see the property owners on Gallatin's Square to be made whole and those responsible rightfully punished.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weather Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 'Sip into Spring' with downtown Allentown cockt... 13 hr silly rabbit 1
News Conservation Halton issues water safety advisory Sun Swim 1
News Michelle Grossman - About NBC 10 News Story - W... (Mar '08) Sun Mark wirsner 850
News New storm shelters across Tupelo not yet ready ... Sun Rod Knox 8
News Get furnace checked or face a fine (Nov '14) Sun silly rabbit 133
News When was the first tornado warning issued? Mar 25 dopplergangers 1
News More rain and snow possible Sunday Mar 25 Tracybench553 1
More from around the web