Ten Economic Risks of Fossil Fuels
Securities of fossil fuels firms, as an economic sector, may soon be on the decline.
Join the discussion below, or Read more at Alternative Energy Stocks.
#1 May 17, 2013
Basically, fossil fuels are declining as easily accessed high quality 'reserves' are consumed, while technology continues to improve the value of green energy projects which don't decline over time.
The US added more Wind Power to the energy mix than fossil fuel power. This is indicative of the declining EROI of fossil fuels relative to wind, solar, etc.
#2 May 17, 2013
Fossil fuels are economically becoming subprime because:
1. Fossil fuels have the capacity to threaten basic systems.
2. Fossil fuel assets present abandonment risk.
3. Renewables are becoming too competitive for fossil fuels.
4. Fossil fuels firms are beginning to have to pay for their externalities.
5. Fossil fuels are likely to have to face carbon taxes.
6. Fossil fuels will soon face diminishing governmental subsidies and benefits.
7. There is growing global institutional belief that transition to renewables solves climate AND economy.
8. Fossil fuels are the ultimate non-circular: they’re completely consumed upon first use, so more primary source extraction is required.
9. Distributed renewable energy grid is more secure than traditional hub and spoke systems, even those powered by domestic fossil fuels.
10. Renewables will counter fossil fuels’ endless ‘boom and bust’ economic cycles.
If we fear for the future, it is paradoxical to attempt to mitigate risks by remaining invested in fossil fuels. What we do now will bring about the future for better or worse. If we’re to emerge from our 19th century energy system, it must be us, now, today, who set that emergence in motion. Leave fossil fuels for those who prefer to look backwards.
Add your comments below
|Strange shelf clouds stun residents in Victoria...||2 hr||Suezanne||1|
|Federal heating aid program saved, expanded in ...||3 hr||mar||3|
|Police accused of fraud are 'yet another stain ...||6 hr||Jeff Davis||1|
|Water shortages will put 5 billion people at ri...||15 hr||spocko||23|
|Rains from Hurricane Harvey caused widespread f...||17 hr||Walter glen stockton||2|
|iAlert.com - Severe Weather Alerts by Text Mess... (Jan '11)||20 hr||Chris||2|
|Houston restaurants and bars that recently closed||Fri||Walter glen stockton||5|
Find what you want!
Search Weather Forum Now
Copyright © 2018 Topix LLC