Global warming is here to stay

Aug 12, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Miami Herald

Excuse me, folks, but the weather is trying to tell us something. Listen carefully, and you can almost hear a parched, raspy voice whispering, "What part of 'hottest month ever' do you people not understand?" According to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, July was indeed the hottest month in the contiguous United States since ... (more)

Comments (Page 2)

Showing posts 21 - 40 of73
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“Happy, warm and comfortable”

Since: Oct 10

Mountain hideaway, SE Spain

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#21
Aug 14, 2012
 
So what's the bad news, particularly?

“Happy, warm and comfortable”

Since: Oct 10

Mountain hideaway, SE Spain

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#22
Aug 14, 2012
 
So what's the bad news, specifically?

“Happy, warm and comfortable”

Since: Oct 10

Mountain hideaway, SE Spain

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#23
Aug 14, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Good news:
98% fewer deaths caused by extreme weather than in the early 20th century.
budd

Thailand

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#24
Aug 14, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

I have to accept the fact that I am communicating with a very old man who probably cannot remember.

One of the lame points you have made in the past has been that additional warmth is a good thing. Probably the result of having been raised in the dreary sshithole you come from, but from which you fled.

Additional warmth may be something that those in the colder climes may think is a good thing, but we depend on the climate to stay in the range which we have adapted to. I am not saying that the current drought is caused by global warming. As we have discussed above such cyclical periods of drought are common throughout the world, but the current drought is an example of why a warming planet is most definitely bad news.
budd

Thailand

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#25
Aug 14, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Earthling-1 wrote:
Good news:
98% fewer deaths caused by extreme weather than in the early 20th century.
This is a prime example of the bbullshitt you spew here daily. Your statement is true, but you use it as a lie. We are safer from extreme weather because we can detect it earlier, and spread that news quicker, not because a warmer planet is safer. Statements like that are why you have zero credibility.

“Happy, warm and comfortable”

Since: Oct 10

Mountain hideaway, SE Spain

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#26
Aug 14, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

All that from a guy sweating his nuts off in Thailand, probably because he was thrown out of his country of origin.
-
There ya go, I can play dirty too.
budd

Thailand

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#27
Aug 14, 2012
 

Judged:

2

2

2

Earthling-1 wrote:
All that from a guy sweating his nuts off in Thailand, probably because he was thrown out of his country of origin.
-
There ya go, I can play dirty too.

Ouch that hurt...not. I noticed no defense for your bull. Go ahead pohm defend the crap you spew.
Fun Facts

Las Cruces, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#28
Aug 14, 2012
 

Judged:

2

2

2

Oh and we get to do it again, I told you repeating is necessary sometimes.

"You don't seem to be following the discussion here. The whingy old Pohm asks in the first comment "so whats the bad news?".

and you answered the question with

"The heat wave has caused massive losses to farmers in the corn belt. This will be passed on to consumers as higher food prices. These are the wonderful effects of increased warmth that you are so happy about."

and I posted

"Palmer Drought Severity Index from 1952 until March 1957, reaching a record low in September of 1956.

A drought of this magnitude creates severe social and economic repercussions and this was definitely the case in the southern Great Plains region. The drought devastated the region's agriculture. Crop yields in some areas dropped as much as 50%. Excessive temperatures and low rainfall scorched grasslands typically used for grazing. With grass scarce, hay prices became too costly, forcing some ranchers to feed their cattle a mixture of prickly pear cactus and molasses. By the time the drought subsided in 1957, many counties across the region were declared federal drought disaster areas, including 244 of the 254 counties in Texas."

I was just showing you that the same problems with crops and cattle we have now were also present in the 1950 to 1956 time period.

and no I never did learn to do the multiple quote thing
budd

Thailand

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#29
Aug 14, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Fun Facts wrote:
Oh and we get to do it again, I told you repeating is necessary sometimes.
"You don't seem to be following the discussion here. The whingy old Pohm asks in the first comment "so whats the bad news?".
and you answered the question with
"The heat wave has caused massive losses to farmers in the corn belt. This will be passed on to consumers as higher food prices. These are the wonderful effects of increased warmth that you are so happy about."
and I posted
"Palmer Drought Severity Index from 1952 until March 1957, reaching a record low in September of 1956.
A drought of this magnitude creates severe social and economic repercussions and this was definitely the case in the southern Great Plains region. The drought devastated the region's agriculture. Crop yields in some areas dropped as much as 50%. Excessive temperatures and low rainfall scorched grasslands typically used for grazing. With grass scarce, hay prices became too costly, forcing some ranchers to feed their cattle a mixture of prickly pear cactus and molasses. By the time the drought subsided in 1957, many counties across the region were declared federal drought disaster areas, including 244 of the 254 counties in Texas."
I was just showing you that the same problems with crops and cattle we have now were also present in the 1950 to 1956 time period.
and no I never did learn to do the multiple quote thing
You have completely missed the point of this discussion.
Fun Facts

Las Cruces, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#30
Aug 14, 2012
 

Judged:

2

2

2

budd wrote:
<quoted text>
You have completely missed the point of this discussion.
I get the discussion. It was an attempt to show that this drought was unusual and that the drought will result in loss of crops and all the resulting bad stuff from not producing enough food. And global warming caused it.

I countered your claim with a little history, explained that the same drought had been experienced in the 1950 to 1956 time period. Temperatures were just as high and weather just as dry. Crops and cattle were lost.

Then I pointed out that there was a significant drought in the corn belt in the 1980s, 1950s, 1930s and just looked up the drought in the early 1900s.

Looks like our current high temps and dry weather have happened before, they resulted in the same crop and cattle losses before as is happening today.

So today's drought is not unusual. If it happened in 1900 then it isn't SUVs making it happen. If it happens every 30 years, it's not CO2.

FYI you have more drought in cooler temps, take a look at the oceans.
Northie

Spokane, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#31
Aug 14, 2012
 

Judged:

2

2

2

What's the bad news? In my region, the forests are burning down, that's what. That goes for Earthling's and Fun Facts' neighborhoods as well, which are also seeing severe wildfires (all-time record firestorms in Fun Facts' case). Odd that they don't mention this in their political diatribes about climate science.

And this is merely the bare beginning of troubles that will cost dearly for generations to come.

http://tinyurl.com/92v4fjp
budd

Thailand

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#32
Aug 14, 2012
 

Judged:

2

2

2

Fun Facts wrote:
<quoted text>
I get the discussion. It was an attempt to show that this drought was unusual and that the drought will result in loss of crops and all the resulting bad stuff from not producing enough food. And global warming caused it.
I countered your claim with a little history, explained that the same drought had been experienced in the 1950 to 1956 time period. Temperatures were just as high and weather just as dry. Crops and cattle were lost.
Then I pointed out that there was a significant drought in the corn belt in the 1980s, 1950s, 1930s and just looked up the drought in the early 1900s.
Looks like our current high temps and dry weather have happened before, they resulted in the same crop and cattle losses before as is happening today.
So today's drought is not unusual. If it happened in 1900 then it isn't SUVs making it happen. If it happens every 30 years, it's not CO2.
FYI you have more drought in cooler temps, take a look at the oceans.
No I was correct. You missed the point completely. Do you read threads, or just comment on the previous comment. In the fourth comment on this page I explicitly state that this drought is not caused by global warming. It is becoming clear why you hold the opinions you do. You comprehension seems very poor.

The point is that Earthling has in the past, and in the first comment on this thread claimed that the additional warming from AGW is a good thing. The present drought is an example of how warming and accompanying drought are in fact bad news.

Crap, now you have me repeating myself.

“Happy, warm and comfortable”

Since: Oct 10

Mountain hideaway, SE Spain

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#33
Aug 15, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Nauseous wrote:
What's the bad news? In my region, the forests are burning down, that's what. That goes for Earthling's and Fun Facts' neighborhoods as well, which are also seeing severe wildfires (all-time record firestorms in Fun Facts' case). Odd that they don't mention this in their political diatribes about climate science.
Why would annual wildfires be particularly bad news to anyone other than a purveyor of doom?

“Happy, warm and comfortable”

Since: Oct 10

Mountain hideaway, SE Spain

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#34
Aug 15, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Had this thread been going in the 70s, we would have been discussing the coming ice age and we all know how that ended.
budd

Thailand

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#35
Aug 15, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Earthling-1 wrote:
<quoted text>Why would annual wildfires be particularly bad news to anyone other than a purveyor of doom?
As usual the pohm moves on to other bullshit rather than defending his previous bullshit. That's because the old pohm's statements are indefensible.

“Happy, warm and comfortable”

Since: Oct 10

Mountain hideaway, SE Spain

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#36
Aug 15, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

”Yes, it’s called the scientific method, but much of what passes for climate science today is, arguments from authority, dramatic press releases, and fuzzy notions of consensus generated by a preselected group.”
John Christy

“Happy, warm and comfortable”

Since: Oct 10

Mountain hideaway, SE Spain

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#37
Aug 15, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

98% fewer deaths caused by extreme weather now than in the early 20th century.

If that isn't good news, what is?
PHD

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#38
Aug 15, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Earthling-1 wrote:
98% fewer deaths caused by extreme weather now than in the early 20th century.
If that isn't good news, what is?
Best news would be for you to find a topic you can defend. Try joining forces with the Less than a Box of rocks. Maybe a topic on the one child left behind program. You two would be the best.
budd

Thailand

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#39
Aug 15, 2012
 

Judged:

2

2

2

Earthling-1 wrote:
98% fewer deaths caused by extreme weather now than in the early 20th century.
If that isn't good news, what is?
So without defending yourself you just post the same statement again. OK you dopey pohm, here is my response again

This is a prime example of the bbullshitt you spew here daily. Your statement is true, but you use it as a lie. We are safer from extreme weather because we can detect it earlier, and spread that news quicker, not because a warmer planet is safer. Statements like that are why you have zero credibility.

“Happy, warm and comfortable”

Since: Oct 10

Mountain hideaway, SE Spain

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#40
Aug 15, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

98% fewer deaths caused by extreme weather now than in the early 20th century, even though the world population is 4.5 times larger than it was in 1900.

If detection is the answer, why do tsunamis kill people?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 21 - 40 of73
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

6 Users are viewing the Weather Forum right now

Search the Weather Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Flooding closes I-35 north of Dallas as heavy r... 49 min need rain 3
Australia is drying out thanks to our emissions 1 hr Monroe 137
Can Tho: 'Mekong delta will be partly submerged' 3 hr vc only dig tunnels 6
Michelle Grossman - About NBC 10 News Story - W... (Mar '08) 4 hr Sully 395
Santa Cruz council to mull water rate hike 9 hr Donny B 3
Should men wear pantyhose for warmth? It's not ... (Jan '09) 16 hr Mike 214
Weather forecast to aid fight against Washingto... 18 hr Puke Pres 1
•••
•••