Global warming is here to stay

Aug 12, 2012 Full story: The Miami Herald 73

Excuse me, folks, but the weather is trying to tell us something. Listen carefully, and you can almost hear a parched, raspy voice whispering, "What part of 'hottest month ever' do you people not understand?" According to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, July was indeed the hottest month in the contiguous United States since ... (more)

Full Story
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

“Happy, warm and comfortable”

Since: Oct 10

Mountain hideaway, SE Spain

#1 Aug 13, 2012
So what's the bad news?
PHD

Houston, TX

#2 Aug 13, 2012
Earthling-1 wrote:
So what's the bad news?
Should have been posed in spanglish so you would get it.

Since: Jun 07

On the cusp

#3 Aug 13, 2012
What do the following posters have in common, apart from the fact that they're all completely stupid forum trolls?

litesong
Seattle Slew
harvey
okb2
PHD
OregonSUX
HereIsOne
SpaceBlues
LessHypeMoreFact

Toronto, Canada

#4 Aug 13, 2012
Earthling-1 wrote:
So what's the bad news?
The bad news is that you continue to drag on, living past your useful life and with nothing better to do than spam the group.

“Happy, warm and comfortable”

Since: Oct 10

Mountain hideaway, SE Spain

#5 Aug 13, 2012
PHDumbo wrote:
Should have been posed..,
Yes you are a poser.

“Happy, warm and comfortable”

Since: Oct 10

Mountain hideaway, SE Spain

#6 Aug 13, 2012
NobodyYouEverWantToKnow, aka:
LessFactMoreHype wrote:
The bad news is that you continue to drag on, living past your useful life
The bad news for you, is that I'm thoroughly enjoying getting the better of nitwits like you.
NoFactAllHype wrote:
and with nothing better to do than spam the group.
Please explain which particular "group" you're talking about, Mr Undoubtably Spelt Fourty?

BTW, where's your friend, Mr Nobody hiding himself these days?

“Happy, warm and comfortable”

Since: Oct 10

Mountain hideaway, SE Spain

#7 Aug 14, 2012
Joglo wrote:
What do the following posters have in common, apart from the fact that they're all completely stupid forum trolls?
litesong
Seattle Slew
harvey
okb2
PHD
OregonSUX
HereIsOne
SpaceBlues
Have a care, old chap, you're talking about members of Mr Undoubtably Spelt Fourty's precious "group" that he regularly accuses me of spamming.
budd

Thailand

#8 Aug 14, 2012
Earthling-1 wrote:
So what's the bad news?
Here is the bad news you dope.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2012/ju...

The heat wave has caused massive losses to farmers in the corn belt. This will be passed on to consumers as higher food prices. These are the wonderful effects of increased warmth that you are so happy about.
Fun Facts

Las Cruces, NM

#9 Aug 14, 2012
budd wrote:
<quoted text>
Here is the bad news you dope.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2012/ju...
The heat wave has caused massive losses to farmers in the corn belt. This will be passed on to consumers as higher food prices. These are the wonderful effects of increased warmth that you are so happy about.
The early 80s saw the same type of drought, the 1930s and the 1950s.

"The 1950s Drought

Fueled by post-war economic stability and technological advancement, the 1950s represented a time of growth and prosperity for many Americans. While much of the country celebrated a resurgence of well-being, many residents of the Great Plains and southwestern United States were suffering. During the 1950s, the Great Plains and the southwestern U.S. withstood a five-year drought, and in three of these years, drought conditions stretched coast to coast. The drought was first felt in the southwestern U.S. in 1950 and spread to Oklahoma, Kansas and Nebraska by 1953. By 1954, the drought encompassed a ten-state area reaching from the mid-west to the Great Plains, and southward into New Mexico. The area from the Texas panhandle to central and eastern Colorado, western Kansas and central Nebraska experienced severe drought conditions. The drought maintained a stronghold in the Great Plains, reaching a peak in 1956. The drought subsided in most areas with the spring rains of 1957.

The 1950s drought was characterized by both low rainfall amounts and excessively high temperatures. Texas rainfall dropped by 40% between 1949-1951 and by 1953, 75% of Texas recorded below normal rainfall amounts. Excessive temperatures heated up cities like Dallas where temperatures exceeded 100°F on 52 days in the summer of 1953. Kansas experienced severe drought conditions during much of the five-year period, and recorded a negative Palmer Drought Severity Index from 1952 until March 1957, reaching a record low in September of 1956.

A drought of this magnitude creates severe social and economic repercussions and this was definitely the case in the southern Great Plains region. The drought devastated the region's agriculture. Crop yields in some areas dropped as much as 50%. Excessive temperatures and low rainfall scorched grasslands typically used for grazing. With grass scarce, hay prices became too costly, forcing some ranchers to feed their cattle a mixture of prickly pear cactus and molasses. By the time the drought subsided in 1957, many counties across the region were declared federal drought disaster areas, including 244 of the 254 counties in Texas."

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/paleo/drought/drght_...
Fun Facts

Las Cruces, NM

#10 Aug 14, 2012
July 1792, Thomas Jefferson recorded 103*F temperatures at Monticello. Catherine the Great wrote about the triple digit temps in Russia the same year.

Sometimes it's hot, sometimes not.

“Happy, warm and comfortable”

Since: Oct 10

Mountain hideaway, SE Spain

#11 Aug 14, 2012
Little Ice Age drought in equatorial Africa: Intertropical Convergence Zone migrations and El Niño–Southern Oscillation variability
http://geology.gsapubs.org/content/35/1/21.ab...

“Happy, warm and comfortable”

Since: Oct 10

Mountain hideaway, SE Spain

#12 Aug 14, 2012
Surviving the next African megadrought
-
The Bosumtwi mud revealed a West African megadrought during the Little Ice Age that lasted from 1400 to 1750! The trunks of ancient dead trees now submerged in deep water show the lake lost four times as much water in the Little Ice Age as in the severe Sahel droughts of the 1970’s. Meanwhile, Africa’s population has expanded from 110 million to 1 billion in the intervening centuries.
http://www.cfact.org/a/2104/Surviving-the-nex...
budd

Thailand

#13 Aug 14, 2012
Fun Facts wrote:
July 1792, Thomas Jefferson recorded 103*F temperatures at Monticello. Catherine the Great wrote about the triple digit temps in Russia the same year.
Sometimes it's hot, sometimes not.
You don't seem to be following the discussion here. The whingy old Pohm asks in the first comment "so whats the bad news?". My post responded with a report on the negative effects of this years heat wave and drought. The Pohm has been claiming that the increased warmth is a good thing. I was showing him the destructive effects it has.

Now as for your posts. We all know that there have been droughts before. We also know that the droughts of the 30s 50s and 80s were regional heat waves and drought. The present heat wave is occurring in a period of global warming. This year so far has been the hottest ever recorded.
http://www.newscientist.com/blogs/shortsharps...

It may be that this current heat wave is merely a regional cyclic phenomenon that will abate in the next year or two. I hope it does, but we have to accept the fact that the entire Earth is warming, and events like this may become much more common. If that is true, the powerhouse of American agriculture that is the Midwest could fail to produce the corn that is the foundation of the American food supply. So, yeah warming is indeed bad news.
litesong

Lynnwood, WA

#14 Aug 14, 2012
Fun Facts wrote:
July 1792, Thomas Jefferson recorded 103*F temperatures at Monticello. Catherine the Great wrote about the triple digit temps in Russia the same year.
Seattle had 103 degF in 2009, about 15deg further north latitude than Monticello AND on the cool Puget Sound. Inland from Seattle(like Monticello) it got to 111 degF.

Alaska, further north latitude than Moscow, has had triple digit degF temperatures.
Fun Facts

Las Cruces, NM

#15 Aug 14, 2012
budd wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't seem to be following the discussion here. The whingy old Pohm asks in the first comment "so whats the bad news?". My post responded with a report on the negative effects of this years heat wave and drought. The Pohm has been claiming that the increased warmth is a good thing. I was showing him the destructive effects it has.
Now as for your posts. We all know that there have been droughts before. We also know that the droughts of the 30s 50s and 80s were regional heat waves and drought. The present heat wave is occurring in a period of global warming. This year so far has been the hottest ever recorded.
http://www.newscientist.com/blogs/shortsharps...
It may be that this current heat wave is merely a regional cyclic phenomenon that will abate in the next year or two. I hope it does, but we have to accept the fact that the entire Earth is warming, and events like this may become much more common. If that is true, the powerhouse of American agriculture that is the Midwest could fail to produce the corn that is the foundation of the American food supply. So, yeah warming is indeed bad news.
No doubt, just like the 1950s, the drought in the corn belt will have an impact. It had an impact in the 1930s. What this tells us it that every so often drought and high temps happen in the US grain belt. The 30's, thirty years later in the 50s, thirty years later in the 80's and here we are 2010 to present.

Not saying it isn't happening or it isn't bad, just saying it appears to be happening on a regular basis.
budd

Thailand

#16 Aug 14, 2012
Fun Facts wrote:
<quoted text>
No doubt, just like the 1950s, the drought in the corn belt will have an impact. It had an impact in the 1930s. What this tells us it that every so often drought and high temps happen in the US grain belt. The 30's, thirty years later in the 50s, thirty years later in the 80's and here we are 2010 to present.
Not saying it isn't happening or it isn't bad, just saying it appears to be happening on a regular basis.
I told you once already I was responding to the whingy pohm. Now you are just repeating yourself.
Fun Facts

Las Cruces, NM

#17 Aug 14, 2012
budd wrote:
<quoted text>
I told you once already I was responding to the whingy pohm. Now you are just repeating yourself.
I have to do that a lot here. Most don't pay attention, it's necessary to repeat.

Actually, you responded to my post about Thomas Jefferson.
budd

San Francisco, CA

#18 Aug 14, 2012
Yes, and I wrote...
budd wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't seem to be following the discussion here. The whingy old Pohm asks in the first comment "so whats the bad news?".

“Happy, warm and comfortable”

Since: Oct 10

Mountain hideaway, SE Spain

#19 Aug 14, 2012
The bad news:
Every year since time immemorial, heat has killed something.
The same goes for cold.
This situation will continue until Earth itself burns up.

The good news:
There is no end in sight.
budd

Thailand

#20 Aug 14, 2012
Earthling-1 wrote:
The bad news:
Every year since time immemorial, heat has killed something.
The same goes for cold.
This situation will continue until Earth itself burns up.
The good news:
There is no end in sight.
So you were just being an idiot with your first post...or is it senility?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weather Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
There's a blizzard warning in effect for ... Ha... 12 min DonPanic 5
Severe flooding in Southeast Asia: 100,000 Mala... 1 hr Grubers Golf Guilt 1
The Fed's next land fight: New Mexico ranchers ... (May '14) 1 hr Gorky 42
Russian ruble extends losses 3 hr Dimitri100 75
Snow-capped summits give Hawaii a white Christmas 18 hr Rick Santpornum 1
Tropical storm warning issued for North Carolina 19 hr Kim Jong Un 5
Russia battles to contain Black Sea oil spill 22 hr Robespierre 3
More from around the web