I-65 reopens at Lafayette after truck wreck

Police say a semitrailer skidded during heavy rain on Interstate 65 near Lafayette, causing a crash that closed the highway's southbound lanes for several hours. Full Story
benjamin

United States

#1 Oct 18, 2007
i saw the backup going north this morning to lafayette.. It was quite impressive. The rain last night was INTENSE.
Plowboy

Frankfort, IN

#2 Oct 18, 2007
Another day another wreck! I-65 between Lafayette and Indy is a MESS. Way too much traffic for a four lane road and gets worse everyday. That stretch has had lane shut downs four times in the last 10 days! Wrecks all the time. 70mph? That's a joke, you're lucky to go 60 because of all the semi's. Wake up Indot and Mitch. Make upgrades to your interstate system BEFORE you add new ones!!!
Geoff

Pryor, OK

#5 Oct 18, 2007
You people don't think that upgrades ARE planned?

Upgrades (read: expansion) of almost every interstate in Indiana has been planned for YEARS. That means since BEFORE Governor Daniels.

What you need to understand is the massive amounts of money that is required to implement these plans. The State itself cannot fund it; but requires much Federal money. And with Federal money comes Federal oversight.

And any time the federal government is involved...things travel at a snail's pace.

Plowboy will be another of the folks to complain about all the construction when the upgrades are begun.

complain complain complain!
SRr

Pryor, OK

#10 Oct 18, 2007
Yes accidents happen everyday and I am so glad to hear that no one was seriously injured, it could have been a lot worse. Why do some people have to make every story into a political battle? Grow up!
bailo

United States

#11 Oct 18, 2007
got stuck in this mess this morning on my commute to work from lafayette to danville. got sent down SR 38 way, way out in the country. set me back about an hour. fun commute. at least everyone was ok
STOPTRUCKS

Omaha, NE

#15 Oct 18, 2007
Why don't they ban semis and two ton trucks (make them pull off the roads)from the interstates during rush hour traffic and let them drive any speed they "deem appropriate" ("autobahn-like") during the wee morning hours (2AM - 6AM when traffic is light) to make up the time. They make driving during rush hour horrible!
one who knows

United States

#16 Oct 18, 2007
Or as I stated a few days ago people could learn how to drive.

It really only requires as much effort as wiping but I suppose some can't/won't do that either.

Donnie Baker

Springfield, IL

#17 Oct 18, 2007
Ban truck traffic during rush hour,thats a good one.I thought this accident happened at 3AM,Why don't they ban all 4 wheeler traffic except for during rush hours that makes about as much sense!Put down the cell phone and get a life!
overtaxed in indy

United States

#19 Oct 18, 2007
I'M A TRUCK DRIVER. SOME OF US ON THE ROADS ARE ALLOWING OUR COMFORT LEVEL TO BECOME TO HIGH. THE MACHINE WE'RE DRIVING CAN ONLY DO WHAT IT'S DESIGNED TO DO. AS HEAVY AS THAT RAIN WAS COMING DOWN I DIDN'T HAVE TO BE ON THAT STRETCH OF ROAD TO KNOW IT WAS FULL OF LITTLE STREAMS. HE'S LUCKY TO BE ALIVE. I'VE BEEN PASSED BY FOOLS LIKE THAT IN WEATHER WORSE THAN THAT. THEY SHOULD JERK HIS C.D.L. BEFORE HE KILLS SOMEONE.

“none”

Since: Dec 06

Pulaski County Indiana

#20 Oct 18, 2007
STOPTRUCKS wrote:
Why don't they ban semis and two ton trucks (make them pull off the roads)from the interstates during rush hour traffic and let them drive any speed they "deem appropriate" ("autobahn-like") during the wee morning hours (2AM - 6AM when traffic is light) to make up the time. They make driving during rush hour horrible!
That's Real Brilliant -!!

Makes about as much sense as:
"Why don't they BAN all those father-less individuals in those four-wheelers who would then drive instead of 80-90 mph. with all the trucks gone to 90-100+ mph. because of the now open road.

It shouldn't take a DUMMY to figure out it is not the VEHICLE that is dangerous.
It is the DUMMY VEHICLE OPERATOR that is dangerous.
D - U - H -!!
Someone should inform these speedy rocket scientists behind the wheel that sometimes it is best to slow down. Especially for the many who don't have experience to drive on a sunny day by themselves all alone: Let alone in adverse weather conditions -!!
CLICHÉ:
"Drive Like Hell - And You'll Get There -!!
Now go fast -er.
Crazy

Lafayette, IN

#21 Oct 18, 2007
Everyone always wants to blame someone else when an accident involving a semi or a motorcycle occurs. "It's those horrible 4 wheelers with their cell phones, etc.". I've seen cyclists on cell phones, truck drivers smoking and on the phone and so forth. On my way home the other night (after 11 pm) I saw a guy on a black motorcycle with a black Harley jacket on tailgating a car and was in turn being tailgated by a semi. Of course if there had been a wreck it would have some how been the car drivers fault;)
Amazing

Buena Park, CA

#23 Oct 19, 2007
All the brilliant people on here... with their ideas! Just amazing. Everyone believes they are right. You should all pool your talents and run for Governor or Mayor.(Oh, yeah, it's much easier just to pretend you have all the knowledge and spew it on the web.)
Plowboy

Frankfort, IN

#24 Oct 20, 2007
Amazing wrote:
All the brilliant people on here... with their ideas! Just amazing. Everyone believes they are right. You should all pool your talents and run for Governor or Mayor.(Oh, yeah, it's much easier just to pretend you have all the knowledge and spew it on the web.)
YOU MEAN JUST LIKE YOU?
BigPaPa

Cicero, IN

#25 Oct 20, 2007
Just another stupid bunch of semi drivers that can't stay on the road.

C'mon ISP!!
Amazing

Buena Park, CA

#26 Oct 22, 2007
Plowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
YOU MEAN JUST LIKE YOU?
Yup, jus' like me.'Preciate ya noticin'
marsham41

Dallas, TX

#27 Mar 4, 2008
its not the semi drivers causing the accidents its those 4 wheelers that think they can pull in front of them and expect them to be able to stop on a dime why is always the truck drivers that they want to blame when in reality its the 4 wheelers most of the time i was there last night the cop pulled out of the media in front of him like i said before dont jump to conclusions that it always the trucks foult
Truck driver

Canton, GA

#28 Mar 4, 2008
I AM A TRUCK DRIVER AND NOTHING PISSES ME OFF MORE THAN SOMEONE PULLING OUT INFRONT OF ME GOING 30MPH. wHEN I HAVE 80,000 POUNDS MOVING AT 75 MPH IT TAKES A LONG TIME TO STOP.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weather Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Balkans hit by fresh flooding; three dead 26 min blimey 12
One dead as floods wreak havoc in Serbia 1 hr Lukashenko is Dr ... 2
Pacific storm blast pushes rain into Arizona 4 hr Odile 1
How hot will Columbus be after 100 more years o... 5 hr Randy 6
Dutch Fork Lake back in use after lengthy battl... 9 hr maskedtex 2
When The Power's Out, Solar Panels May Not Keep... 10 hr Solarman 1
Michelle Grossman - About NBC 10 News Story - W... (Mar '08) Tue ernie banks 439
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Weather People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••