Experts: Global Warming Means More An...

Experts: Global Warming Means More Antarctic Ice

There are 43 comments on the News Max story from Oct 14, 2012, titled Experts: Global Warming Means More Antarctic Ice. In it, News Max reports that:

The ice goes on seemingly forever in a white pancake-flat landscape, stretching farther than ever before.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at News Max.

litesong

Everett, WA

#21 Feb 22, 2013
fun farts wrote:
"The map above shows sea ice extent around Antarctica on September 26, 2012, when ice covered more of the Southern Ocean than at any other time in the satellite record.
AGW science predicted the Antarctic would increase its sea ice in 2002, confirmed in 2005, & as toxic topix AGW deniers prove, as if it is NOT an AGW effect, altho I have posted the next link a hundred times before:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2005/06/...
litesong

Everett, WA

#22 Feb 22, 2013
LessHypeMoreFact wrote:
..... leading to a decrease in volume.
//////////
'fun farts' wrote:
"The map above shows sea ice extent around Antarctica on September 26, 2012, when ice covered more of the Southern Ocean than at any other time in the satellite record.
http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/IOTD/view.ph ...
//////////
litesong wrote:
'fun farts' farts, giving a link to a sea ice area extent, instead of referring to Antarctic sea ice VOLUME.

For years, toxic topix AGW deniers referred to Arctic sea ice area, but very seldom did they mention Arctic sea ice VOLUME. Now, toxic topix AGW deniers try the same tactic for the Antarctic.

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#23 Feb 22, 2013
Fun Facts wrote:
<quoted text>
"The map above shows sea ice extent around Antarctica on September 26, 2012, when ice covered more of the Southern Ocean than at any other time in the satellite record. The map is based on an NSIDC analysis of data from the Special Sensor Microwave/Imagers flown in the Defense Meteorological Satellite Program. Land is dark gray, and ice shelves—which are attached to land-based glaciers but floating on the ocean—are light gray. The yellow outline shows the median sea ice extent in September from 1979 to 2000. Sea ice extent is defined as the total area in which the ice concentration is at least 15 percent."
http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/IOTD/view.ph...
And? So?

The satellite gravimetry clearly shows that like Greenland (though much more slowly), Antarctica is losing land ice (the only stuff that matters). There are indeed several possible explanations for increasing sea ice, but they have NOTHING to do with any sort of refutation of AGW/CC theory. If anything, the increasing ice just confirms it.

http://www.skepticalscience.com/antarctica-ga...
Fun Facts

Huntsville, AL

#25 Feb 23, 2013
HomoSapiensLaptopicus wrote:
<quoted text>
And? So?
The satellite gravimetry clearly shows that like Greenland (though much more slowly), Antarctica is losing land ice (the only stuff that matters). There are indeed several possible explanations for increasing sea ice, but they have NOTHING to do with any sort of refutation of AGW/CC theory. If anything, the increasing ice just confirms it.
http://www.skepticalscience.com/antarctica-ga...
My post was a direct response to a statement made by another poster.
lili11

Richmond Hill, Canada

#28 Mar 9, 2013
What about the media. Do yo think that they are over exaggerating the truth about global warming or is everything right and it really is as bad as they are saying.
lili11

Richmond Hill, Canada

#29 Mar 17, 2013
Do you think that the media is over exasperating the truth about global warming?
GWExpert

Richmond Hill, Canada

#30 Mar 17, 2013
I think that the media isn't over exaggerating what is happening because there are many studies done to show that global warming is a serious issue and is effecting our world right now.
lili11

Richmond Hill, Canada

#31 Mar 17, 2013
I agree with you but I also disagree. The reason that I disagree is because I feel that the media is telling people that global warming is happening without showing the cold hard facts. In any news article they barely have any scientific evidence that proves or does not prove that global warming is happening.
GWExpert

Richmond Hill, Canada

#32 Mar 17, 2013
I see what you mean. I guess the media is in some way persuading us to take sides, when these sides may not even be based on facts.
lili11

Richmond Hill, Canada

#33 Mar 17, 2013
I was also wondering about if global warming is increasing the chances of hurricanes and other storms/ natural disasters.
GWExpert

Richmond Hill, Canada

#34 Mar 17, 2013
I really don't think that they are because it is a natural cycle that happens on our planet.
lili11

Richmond Hill, Canada

#35 Mar 17, 2013
But, don't storms and other natural disasters need warm waters to form. Global warming is warming our oceans and seas. Have you noticed that in the past decade the amount of storms and natural disasters has increased. It can easily be due to the fact that the waters are warming up.
GWExpert

Richmond Hill, Canada

#36 Mar 17, 2013
but isn't it the governments priority to inform us if this is happening since a lot of people are losing homes, family, etc. due to global warming heating the water.
lili11

Richmond Hill, Canada

#37 Mar 17, 2013
The worlds governments are actually have a controversy between each other because they don't know what to do about global warming. It is their duty to help stop it and inform the their citizens about it but because they cant agree themselves on how to deal with this matter, they cant tell us what they are going to do.
GWExpert

Richmond Hill, Canada

#38 Mar 17, 2013
I see where you are coming from. But, only a small scale of people are actually trying to stop carbon and green house gas out put into our atmosphere. The larger percent of the people on the planet do not care about global warming and how much energy they use at all.
lili11

Richmond Hill, Canada

#39 Mar 17, 2013
I agree with you but I feel that the reason that a lot of people do not care about global warming and climate change is because they are not informed about it.
lili11

Richmond Hill, Canada

#40 Mar 17, 2013
There has been an increased amount of controversy between scientists about what is causing climate change and global warming. What do you think is causing it?
GWExpert

Richmond Hill, Canada

#41 Mar 17, 2013
As a person who has informed myself about global warming I feel that humans are the greater cause of it. We seem to be careless about what all of our gas and energy is doing to our environment and atmosphere.
lili11

Richmond Hill, Canada

#42 Mar 17, 2013
I think that humans and nature are both responsible for the cause of global warming. I fully agree with you about the part that humans are a big cause but have you ever considered the amount of methane gas that comes from the arctic tundra, wetlands, and volcanic eruptions. Also, a lot of animal feces release methane gas as well. These are all natural cause of global warming since methane gas is one of the main gases that contributes to global warming. It layers in our atmosphere and does not let heat escape. Only 27% of the heat is reflected while the 73% is absorbed by the gases.

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#43 Mar 18, 2013
lili11 wrote:
I agree with you but I also disagree. The reason that I disagree is because I feel that the media is telling people that global warming is happening without showing the cold hard facts. In any news article they barely have any scientific evidence that proves or does not prove that global warming is happening.
Unfortunately, the media in general are grossly understating the facts & threats of AGW/CC. They're far too influenced by big money from the richest industry in the world, the oil industry.(7 of the top 10 companies in the world by revenue are oil companies/fossil fuel producers.) These people have huge financial interests in AGW/CC denial.

If you want to understand the big picture, just watch one of James Hansen's videos. This one is a good compromise between length & explanation:



Also, remember his article in Science from 1981. He was ABSOLUTELY CORRECT in his predictions then about what would be happening now. That was many years before others caught on, a decade before the IPCC was formed.

http://pubs.giss.nasa.gov/docs/1981/1981_Hans...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weather Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News These are the best places to see wildflowers in... 6 hr ThesePhart 1
News Michelle Grossman - About NBC 10 News Story - W... (Mar '08) 8 hr PHILzzzzzz 849
News Higher Arctic Temperatures Likely to Shift Glob... Wed Embarrass NM 1
News First day of spring means free cones at DQ Wed Free phartsc 1
News After weird winter, U.S. forecasters see warm, ... Mar 21 Protoham 1
News 'It's going to be a real mess:' Canada hit by w... (Jan '15) Mar 21 Prez of the Rez S... 3
News Will Phoenix break heat records three days in a... Mar 21 @Real Kelly 2
More from around the web