Rio Grande minnow's plight could affect others

Dec 26, 2012 Full story: KOB-TV New Mexico 38

Water managers are scrambling to find a way to maintain wild populations of the Rio Grande silvery minnow after the annual fall census failed to locate any of the small fish for the first time in 20 years.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#1 Dec 26, 2012
Here is proof how much money is wasted on a silly small fish no one will see, catch or eat instead of the more important issue of getting us water.

This little fish rates higher on government survival list than humans.

Talk about how dumb our government is.
good

Santa Fe, NM

#2 Dec 26, 2012
Bluntly Spoken wrote:
Here is proof how much money is wasted on a silly small fish no one will see, catch or eat instead of the more important issue of getting us water.
lord, you remain clueless.

Location hidden

#3 Dec 26, 2012
good wrote:
<quoted text>
lord, you remain clueless.
Nope, but you have proven you have early onset dementia.
Uuuh

Santa Fe, NM

#4 Dec 26, 2012
Bluntly Spoken wrote:
you must be unaware of the all of the ongoing annual investment for over 100 years in dams, reservoirs, diversion structures, drains, water rights purchases etc, etc. dedicated to providing water to people - even for wasteful purposes.

What they do for the fish is try to make sure there are some left, rescue stranded populations (when they can)and breed some and try to maintain water in the river at least until the middle of June. Water in a river is a good thing - not just for this single species but for many life forms including yourself.

Now quit trying to show how dumb you are.
one

Albuquerque, NM

#5 Dec 26, 2012
really good toxic waste dump from Intel should resolve this problem.

Location hidden

#6 Dec 26, 2012
Uuuh wrote:
<quoted text>
you must be unaware of the all of the ongoing annual investment for over 100 years in dams, reservoirs, diversion structures, drains, water rights purchases etc, etc. dedicated to providing water to people - even for wasteful purposes.
What they do for the fish is try to make sure there are some left, rescue stranded populations (when they can)and breed some and try to maintain water in the river at least until the middle of June. Water in a river is a good thing - not just for this single species but for many life forms including yourself.
Now quit trying to show how dumb you are.
fully blown dementia now, you best get to the mental ward of your local hospital.

I'm well aware of things but again some stupid little fish over humans is a WASTE of MONEY.

Have you ever seen one, will you in your lifetime? Does that silly fish provide any useful food for the environment?

Like many other almost extinct animals that have no baring on providing something useful for the HUMAN life they want to save.

I would rather they spend the millions feeding our poor people and not some so called rare owl, fish, lizard.

And proof you have dementia, you can't even remember the names you post under so you have to keep making new ones.

Location hidden

#7 Dec 26, 2012
one wrote:
really good toxic waste dump from Intel should resolve this problem.
Make sure the senile troll of a thousand names in La La Land gets thrown in too.
you are

Santa Fe, NM

#8 Dec 26, 2012
Bluntly Spoken wrote:
<quoted text>
digging yourself in deeper.

Location hidden

#9 Dec 26, 2012
you are wrote:
<quoted text>
digging yourself in deeper.
Wrong, I am digging the grave for you.

“Kees Mee, I's Ireesh”

Since: Jun 09

Ol' Juarez

#10 Dec 26, 2012
Bluntly Spoken wrote:
<quoted text>
Make sure the senile troll of a thousand names in La La Land gets thrown in too.
Blunt, 3215 who are you referring to as the "senile troll of a thousand names from La La Land"?

“Kees Mee, I's Ireesh”

Ol' Juarez

#11 Dec 26, 2012
Ooops, 3215 was not supposed to be there!

Location hidden

#12 Dec 26, 2012
fmer505-1951 wrote:
<quoted text>Blunt, 3215 who are you referring to as the "senile troll of a thousand names from La La Land"?
That old fool who always uses new names and most times very short replies.

How was your Christmas Frmer?
over

Santa Fe, NM

#13 Dec 26, 2012
Bluntly Spoken wrote:
<quoted text>

I'm well aware of things but again some stupid little fish over humans
humans? You don't appear to be aware of anything with regard to the Rio.

Location hidden

#14 Dec 26, 2012
over wrote:
<quoted text>
humans? You don't appear to be aware of anything with regard to the Rio.
The Rio, which Rio the truck, muddy dirty water river, Rio De Janerio ?

Seems you don't understand a whole lot period.

If you did you would be able to use one name here instead of having to keep making new ones.

By the way who really cares about you, nut case.

“US Navy”

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#15 Dec 26, 2012
Damned little sardines should all be flushed. There are times when humans are more important than creatures, and IMO this is one of them given the specific scenario at hand. Save when its viable, let nature take its course in evolution and extinction when it isn't. Too many crazy zealots out there trying to change nature at the cost of damned near everything and everyone.

We need good recipes for:
- spotted owl stew
- silvery minnow casserole

“Kees Mee, I's Ireesh”

Ol' Juarez

#16 Dec 26, 2012
Bluntly Spoken wrote:
<quoted text>
That old fool who always uses new names and most times very short replies.
How was your Christmas Frmer?
I had a good day, family and friends over for dinner. how was your day?

Location hidden

#17 Dec 26, 2012
fmer505-1951 wrote:
<quoted text>I had a good day, family and friends over for dinner. how was your day?
Great, went to Route 66 for crab dinner. yummy.

Family is in CA so just the two of us.

“Kees Mee, I's Ireesh”

Ol' Juarez

#18 Dec 26, 2012
Bluntly Spoken wrote:
<quoted text>
Great, went to Route 66 for crab dinner. yummy.
Family is in CA so just the two of us.
That is understandable for you to eat out since it is just the two of you. No turkey?

“26.2”

Since: Feb 08

Santa Fe, NM

#19 Dec 26, 2012
I find it incredible just how ingorant many people are on the issue of extinctions and loss of biodiversity.

First of all none of us have the right to play God and condem a species to extinction from our doing. Being the sophisiticated tool-making primates that we are, we should take better care of the planet and the plants and critters that God created.

Second, and more importantly, extinctions disrupt the food chain and order of nature, and open the door for invasive species and other consequences. The bee colony collapse disorder and the Schmalenberg virus appear to be related, at least in part, to invasive species.

At the basic level, it's pretty simple. The silvery minnow eats something, and something eats it. Take the minnow out, and the surviving species adapt, and the things that they eat and that eat them adapt up and down the chain. But there can be other unanticipated consequences.

So many things with our ecosystems are inter-related and it has proven impossible thus far to predict the consequences of our foolish actions until the problems smack us in the face. And all the political disinformation and denial just make things worse. The political BS will end when we have a honey-bee type of problem caused by climate change.

What is really troubling is what's going on in our oceans with overfishing, warming, loss of coral reef habitats, etc.

Fortunately, at least for now, the decisions about the silvery minnow and other endangered species are being made by people who can put aside the selfish, greedy, and narrow-mided ignorance that is so common to mankind.

Location hidden

#20 Dec 26, 2012
fmer505-1951 wrote:
<quoted text>That is understandable for you to eat out since it is just the two of you. No turkey?
Naw, never been a fan of turkey, duck years ago but to fatty now so either chicken or prime rib.....

Fish if real and not farmed fish which really has no true ocean flavor.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weather Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
New hurricane heads toward... 50 min rollo 1
Michelle Grossman - About NBC 10 News Story - W... (Mar '08) 2 hr Old Fool 442
Pot bust in Tulare County leads to arrest of 21... 17 hr TBN 1
Rain From Tropical Storm Begins Falling on Arizona 20 hr Gary 1
Winter storm: What you need to know now 22 hr Francesco Sinibaldi 1
Wet, windy storm heading to Southern California (Jan '07) Wed grafting 2
Pacific storm blast pushes rain into Arizona Wed Phoenix 1
•••

Weather People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE