Ohio Law Doesn't Require Tornado Sire...

Ohio Law Doesn't Require Tornado Sirens | WBNS-10TV, Central Ohio News

There are 20 comments on the 10TV WBNS story from Apr 29, 2011, titled Ohio Law Doesn't Require Tornado Sirens | WBNS-10TV, Central Ohio News. In it, 10TV WBNS reports that:

When severe storms move into Bladensburg, the Knox County community has to rely on things other than sirens to forewarn them, 10 Investigates' Paul Aker reported on Friday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at 10TV WBNS.

Ruralmama

Gambier, OH

#1 Apr 29, 2011
Sounds like it's time the county and the town pitch in together along with doing some fundraisers to help raise the funds needed for this! If everybody pitched in even a little bit, you might be surprised at how much it adds up.
AVZ

Wellston, OH

#2 Apr 29, 2011
What a crappy story. Does the news media own stock in Federal Sgnal? The weather sirens are meant as an out door warning system. They were meant for the ages when cars didn't have radios. With cell phones and their aps you can get warnings. Next the sirens are not made nor will they wake you up in the middle of the night. O.K you have 57 households with 140 residents. For about a grand you could buy every house a weather/all hazards radio. Siren $10,000 to $30,000.

Other states don't use sirens for good reason. Florida only has them at the nuclear power plants.

Say no to the hype. Be safe, get a weather/All hazards radio.
Just Listening

United States

#3 Apr 29, 2011
I just look out the window.
Anon

Chillicothe, OH

#4 Apr 29, 2011
A good warning warning sign for a tornado is when the roof of your house starts to rip off.
Greg

Pickerington, OH

#5 Apr 29, 2011
Funding issues are a huge problem in the State of Ohio for emergency management and civil defense. As an emergency manager, I can tell you that 99% of top level leadership do not want to invest in preparedness systems or even a functioning emergency management program. They will only fund the bare minimum as req'd under ORC 5502. Its pathetic that the safety of the citizens take a back seat. Afterall, disasters are not sexy, they do not produce revenue, they will not get you reelected. Ignoring them will however hurt and kill people, cause you to not get reelected, among other things. Studies show that money spent mitigating disasters (such as installing outdoor warning systems) will save you 4 dollars for every dollar spent after the dust settles. Yet in my community of professionals, we can't even get leaders to take BASIC fema classes that educate them on what their role is during a disaster. Something that would literally take 3 hours of their time to do. There is no interest to them, they don't care. Its time we start calling these people out. I hope that all emergency managers begin doing so; or move to a State that takes disaster preparedness seriously.
Principles of Freedom

Reynoldsburg, OH

#6 Apr 30, 2011
AVZ wrote:
What a crappy story. Does the news media own stock in Federal Sgnal? The weather sirens are meant as an out door warning system. They were meant for the ages when cars didn't have radios. With cell phones and their aps you can get warnings. Next the sirens are not made nor will they wake you up in the middle of the night. O.K you have 57 households with 140 residents. For about a grand you could buy every house a weather/all hazards radio. Siren $10,000 to $30,000.
Other states don't use sirens for good reason. Florida only has them at the nuclear power plants.
Say no to the hype. Be safe, get a weather/All hazards radio.
Not everyone is young and hip like you and can have or even want a personal lo jack tracking devise that comes complete with weather app's
sock it to em

Kenton, OH

#7 Apr 30, 2011
Buying a radio will not help----but if you have 1 then listen to it when a bad storm comes in. Most people are asleep at night---therefore all ya can do is hope you wake up the next morning. Anyway it's not a law to have them and will cost you dearly if you voted to have 1-2 in your community
TAXES AGAIN) I myself am sick of taxes.I say go to bed and hope to wake up next morning-- I want to die in my sleep anyway if that is ment for me.
AVZ

Wellston, OH

#8 Apr 30, 2011
Principles of Freedom wrote:
<quoted text>
Not everyone is young and hip like you and can have or even want a personal lo jack tracking devise that comes complete with weather app's
You can get a $10 prepaid phone and sign up for free text alerts from among other places the 10tv website. Reality is if you are outside you should have enoughh sense "to come in out of the rain".

Government is not responsible for all aspects of your life as far as safety goes. Warning sirens are an antiquated notification method. A better and less expensive means to protect them is weather radios.

As far as EMA officials go they hate seeing their budgets eaten up by these dinosaurs. Franklin County is dumping a ton of money into their sirens for new narrow band receivers and new transmitters. Why? Because of hype fom the media. A previous EMA director was canned because the media made such a big issue out of this. The EMA could have funded another HazMat team or done a lot more with the millions they dump into this trailing edge technology.
Retired Deputy

Chillicothe, OH

#9 Apr 30, 2011
Just wait. As soon as one of Kasich's rich friends finds a way to make money off the things there will be a law on the books requiring one every 3 miles in Ohio.
Bodie

Chillicothe, OH

#10 Apr 30, 2011
Going to Radio Shack or shopping on line for a weather radio at less then $25 can save lives. They come on like an alarm once a warning is issued often minutes ahead of sirens.
say what

New York, NY

#11 Apr 30, 2011
u have got to be kidding me so u telling me if my power is out and my phones are dead i got to rely on something else? So only option now it to stand outside and stare out the clouds HUH is this what you are saying IDIOTS?
annoyed

Columbus, OH

#12 Apr 30, 2011
I think a tornado siren is a big necessity, most the time in big storms, such as a tornado, even cell phones lose signal, WIFI gets knocked out, new technology is not always as reliable as old technology such as an outdoor siren. I think a big part of the problems of our country is due to new technology and how much everyone relies on it. Don't disrespect people for wanting to be safe and have a backup warning system in case they can't afford a cell phone or even a tv or radio, its not unheard of especially with how economy is.
Angsto the Clown

Wellston, OH

#13 Apr 30, 2011
Hey anybody here remember the old call boxes on the phone poles? What about pay phones? Their day has come and gone, so have disaster sirens. Spend that $22,000 where it'll do much more good.
jason

United States

#14 Apr 30, 2011
And sirens are not ment to be heard inside.
Alexis

United States

#15 Apr 30, 2011
say what wrote:
u have got to be kidding me so u telling me if my power is out and my phones are dead i got to rely on something else? So only option now it to stand outside and stare out the clouds HUH is this what you are saying IDIOTS
You're really going to sit here and call everyone idiots??? You do realize the radio to hear a warning is BATTERY operated. Yes B A T T E R Y in case you need it a little slower. Where I live has sirens, but I don't hear them when they go off anyway....
sensei

Lancaster, OH

#16 Apr 30, 2011
Well, when they don't want to invest into new tornado sirens they shall not wonder when they may die in a tornado.

So where is the problem?
boy

Columbus, OH

#17 May 3, 2011
hi how udoing
boy

Columbus, OH

#18 May 3, 2011
i think it is stuiped for sireins not go of what if some get injred
Josie

Wellston, OH

#19 Jun 5, 2011
AVZ wrote:
<quoted text>
You can get a $10 prepaid phone and sign up for free text alerts from among other places the 10tv website. Reality is if you are outside you should have enoughh sense "to come in out of the rain".
Government is not responsible for all aspects of your life as far as safety goes. Warning sirens are an antiquated notification method. A better and less expensive means to protect them is weather radios.
As far as EMA officials go they hate seeing their budgets eaten up by these dinosaurs. Franklin County is dumping a ton of money into their sirens for new narrow band receivers and new transmitters. Why? Because of hype fom the media. A previous EMA director was canned because the media made such a big issue out of this. The EMA could have funded another HazMat team or done a lot more with the millions they dump into this trailing edge technology.
Okay lets break this down.

Text messages for a weather warning are just a novelty. They can't be relied on during a severe weather event. They do help, but an EMA cannot rely on one means of warning dissemination. It can take anywhere from instantly to several hours before someone receives a text message. Cell phones communication is also just a prone to malfunction during severe weather events because the cell phone towers are also out in the elements and also have electronic and mechanical issues.

"Government is not responsible for all aspects of your life as far as safety goes."
Okay, so I take it you'd rather try to put out a house fire yourself with a garden hose than call on a government entity like the fire department. Really wise.

"Warning sirens are an antiquated notification method."
Cars are an antiquated transportation method.

"A better and less expensive means to protect them is weather radios."
A good means but not a better means. Again, this is a technology that is not 100% foolproof. It is, however, the best means of indoor warning notification but it isn't a replacement for sirens. I'm not carrying my weather radio outside with me.

"Franklin County is dumping a ton of money into their sirens for new narrow band receivers and new transmitters. Why? Because of hype fom the media. A previous EMA director was canned because the media made such a big issue out of this."
Franklin County and cities and counties across the nation are required to upgrade their radio equipment including their sirens to meet new restrictions in frequency use. This has nothing to do with media hype. Four years ago, there was an issue with someone at an auxiliary activation point not giving the sirens a chance to cool off between activations. This burnt out the speaker drivers and amplifiers in the sirens causing nearly all of them to require repair. This is an issue with the type of siren used. The parts used in Franklin County's electronic sirens are more fragile than a mechanical siren, however, the county EMA likes having the ability to broadcast voice messages during emergencies so the electronic sirens are staying for now.

"The EMA could have funded another HazMat team or done a lot more with the millions they dump into this trailing edge technology."
I'm sure a HazMat team could have done nothing for the cities that were wiped out this past spring hit by tornadoes. An no, siren maintenance does not cost millions as you would like to suggest.

Before you ask, no I do not work for any siren manufacturer. I'm a student in emergency management and I just happen to know what I'm talking about.
mike

Murphysboro, IL

#20 Dec 30, 2012
who started this post

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weather Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News It is abnormally cold in the United States. Tha... 12 hr Patriot AKA Bozo 473
News Severe weather may delay Houston Chronicle deli... Wed MUST FART 3
News Atlantic Canada recovers from flooding, outages... Jan 16 GTA looks in 1
News 80% chance of heavy snow this evening as 'Storm... Jan 16 Mother Nature 1
News Winter weather returns tonight Jan 16 SYLNTGRNIZPPL 10
News US cold snap was a freak of nature, quick analy... Jan 16 C Kersey 2
News In Whitesboro, residents fight another damaging... Jan 15 KnockKnock 1
More from around the web