Thousands line up to wait for Section 8

Thousands line up to wait for Section 8

There are 52 comments on the The Galveston County Daily News story from Apr 15, 2011, titled Thousands line up to wait for Section 8. In it, The Galveston County Daily News reports that:

More than 2,000 people, many who'd camped there overnight, lined up Thursday at the Nessler Center to sign onto a waiting list for federal Section 8 rent assistance.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Galveston County Daily News.

Foldag

United States

#23 Jun 21, 2011
Explain to me why the US is able to provide you the ability to earn a living while Mexico cannot. I am trying to understand your train of thought involved on this subject.
Also, explain to me why it is better to come here and try to abuse the American "system", than it is to organize, and fix the broken Mexican government.
One other question: if your people find it NECESSARY to come to the US to support themselves and their families, then why do they feel like it's important to fly Mexican flags, speak Spanish, and dog the US in general? By your own standards it seems as though Mexico is a pretty crummy place, and it would make you want to show gratitude and respect for a nation that has given you the ability to survive, and claim your allegiance to America and it's ways. Not by coming here and raping the system, but by becoming part of something great. What gives?
Juan

Pearland, TX

#24 Jun 22, 2011
I can make alot more money here. I send about half of it home to help my parents. I am not taking advantage of any system. I work as electrician building new homes, and have for many years. I do not commit any crime.

Much more opportunity here in the USA
Looking In

Quanah, TX

#25 Jun 22, 2011
If the wets were all rounded up and deported we would have a glut of housing and help for REAL Americans. We really need a revolution.
Foldag

League City, TX

#26 Jun 25, 2011
Juan wrote:
I can make alot more money here. I send about half of it home to help my parents. I am not taking advantage of any system. I work as electrician building new homes, and have for many years. I do not commit any crime.
Much more opportunity here in the USA
I get that you work as an electrician, and that's good. But I'd still like to know why you do that here, and not in Mexico. Why is it that the job markets are so poor in Mexico? Is it because of a crappy government? Is it because of geographical circumstances? Why is it that mexican people feel the need to come to the US and take advantage of our system? And if it is too bad to live there, why do most mexicans feel like they need to come here and try to turn the US into Mexico? They fly the flag of a dirty, broken country that won't support it's people. They get angry because most people don't speak Spanish. They act like they are still on some broken ass chicken farm in the middle of tiajuana. If they want to live like that, why don't they stay in Mexico? Because our system let's them come here for free medical care, good jobs, better opportunity. That's taking advantage. When I see a Mexican flying their poor country's flag, it does offend me a little bit. What the hell did that country do for you? Kept you down. Kicked you while you were down. And instead of fighting for something better for your people, you all just seem to find it convenient to come here, illegally. To cross into the country my forefathers were willing to die to create. A country I am willing to die to defend. A SYSTEM THAT WORKED, UNTIL BROUGHT TO IT'S KNEES BY PEOPLE TAKING ADVANTAGE OF IT. Why don't the people that fly their crappy mexican flags here, pack those flags up and take them back into Mexico, and turn that dump into something good?
Shaina

Houston, TX

#27 Jun 25, 2011
Juan wrote:
How bout some help for my girlfriend. She has two children that are citizens and they deserve help. She does have a Lone Star Card and WIC, but very little help with housing. Maybe help with utilities and phone also.
It's not my problem to support your girlfriend and her kids. If you can't feed them, dont breed them.
Shaina

Houston, TX

#28 Jun 25, 2011
Juan wrote:
I'm here to provide a better life for my family, both here and in Mexico.
She's my girlfriend, she has two kids that are citizens. If we go back to Mexico what do we do with them ?
I can provide more for them here.
We don't care what she does with them. We have enough hungry American kids that need help. I like the way you say the kids are citizens but you never say she is. Im sure they are anchor babies
and your girlfriend mooched enough off the United States. I will buy her a 3 passenger raft...I mean 4 passenger. You need to go to. You'll just bring some more back.
Shaina

Houston, TX

#29 Jun 25, 2011
Juan wrote:
She came here as a child. She has two children, citizens that deserve help. She can't work because child care cost too much. She gets help with WIC, food stamps, section 8 housing, and sometimes help with utilities and phone which should be free.
This is America ! We should not let children suffer. I help her when I can.
So by your own admission she and her family have been mooching off the United States for many years. The United States didnt get her pregnant, it isn't responsible for supporting her kids. Im sure she already had free medical care her whole life as well as the kids and you want more for her. How much has she paid in taxes and social security since she's been leaching here? What has she contributed that makes her deserve ANYTHING?
Juan

Pearland, TX

#30 Jun 25, 2011
She is a very good mother. She can not work because childcare would cost more than she would make. She has been here seven or eight years and we now feel this country is home. We have many opportunities here. I work hard to provide for my family in Mexico, they don't collect anything from the state. Here she gets help from the government for the children because they were born here, they deserve it.

Since: Mar 11

Houston, TX

#31 Jun 26, 2011
Juan wrote:
She is a very good mother. She can not work because childcare would cost more than she would make. She has been here seven or eight years and we now feel this country is home. We have many opportunities here. I work hard to provide for my family in Mexico, they don't collect anything from the state. Here she gets help from the government for the children because they were born here, they deserve it.
Juan,
When will you give up? You and your girlfriend are here illegally. You are criminals. Her kids are helpless and do deserve food and shelter. But you and your GF and your BROTHER do not deserve 18 years of welfare. You three have to work for them. That's what my parents did. That's what everyones parents did. You work to eat.

You are wrong to say the kids deserve welfare. You are a criminal.
Foldag

League City, TX

#32 Jun 26, 2011
Juan you just don't get it. How is your girl's kids, my responsibility? I've got kids. Will you pay my way, Juan? My wife has kids Juan. I need you to support them while I watch Jerry springer all day. Where's my part of your money juan? Gimme gimme gimme. I don't have any sense of responsibility so I need you to pay my way Juan. You owe it to me because my wife had kids and can't take care of them, so you owe me. Again Juan, YOU ARE WHAT'S WRONG WITH MY COUNTRY!!!! get a life.( in Mexico preferably)
Juan

Pearland, TX

#33 Jun 26, 2011
I don't make enough money to support them and still send money to my mother and father.

My brother has kids living in San Antonio.

Since: Mar 11

Houston, TX

#34 Jun 26, 2011
Juan wrote:
I don't make enough money to support them and still send money to my mother and father.
My brother has kids living in San Antonio.
And why is this our problem?
Juan

Pearland, TX

#35 Jun 26, 2011
Because my girlfriends children are citizens and deserve the help, just like any other child born in this country.
Foldag

United States

#36 Jun 26, 2011
What's to keep your girlfriend from popping out 15 more children? Then we'll have to support those too. Mexico sucks and costs tax paying Americans too much money. We should go ahead, take that dump over and turn it into something respectable since Juan's people are just gonna sit around with their hand out. They've already let the drug cartels stomp them into submission. We should just turn it into an American tourist attraction. We can hire all the mexicans to sit around an "play" mexicans, to make it realistic. That way we can recover at least some of our money from places like cancun and the less crappy parts of Mexico. Set them up to get some cheese and milk and stuff, and maybe they'll quit coming up here and stinking up the place. Tax their sorry asses, like we do our citizens.

Since: Mar 11

Houston, TX

#37 Jun 27, 2011
Juan wrote:
Because my girlfriends children are citizens and deserve the help, just like any other child born in this country.
I was born here and I did not get any welfare. Neither did my kids. being the parents of citizens does not entitle you to welfare.

You have already stated that you are scamming the system to get more money. Make your GF go out and EARN some money to support her kids. It's hard. It's called survival.
Juan

Pearland, TX

#38 Jun 27, 2011
She would have to pay more for childcare than she would make. She does baby sit some of the neighbors kids now and then.
Foldag

Pflugerville, TX

#39 Jun 27, 2011
Juan wrote:
She would have to pay more for childcare than she would make. She does baby sit some of the neighbors kids now and then.
Does she pay taxes on those earnings? Bet not. I do. My wife does. We don't get assistance. We have kids and it's fukkin hard, essay. It would be sooo easy to take mess'cn way out, but I couldn't live w/ myself, being good for nothing, and all. So, I'll keep working, and paying taxes, and supporting your worthless asses, because that's what we do. We carry everyone else's crybaby, lazy ass, while they bitch and moan about how hard it is, and how crappy this country is. You're the campaign posterchild for a spaying and neutering program that needs to be implemented. Bet your girl's kids will grow up to criminals that we pay for, too.
Juan

Pearland, TX

#40 Jun 27, 2011
Taxes on money she gets from babysitting, are you stupid.

Yes she gets assistance, because the children are citizens. Not for herself. I sometimes help her when I can, but I also have two parents in Mexico I have to support, I sent money to them.

We love this country, it continues being very good to us. Someday we will be given amnesty and everyone will be happy.
Foldag

United States

#41 Jun 27, 2011
Whoa there big guy, let's watch it with the "stupid" talk (unless you really want to be made an ass of).
The one question you have failed to answer repeatedly is why we have to work, and find child support for our children, and pay taxes while you feel your girl is entitled to tax money from a system she's never paid into. Just because she was in our country illegally when she had her kids shouldn't make her lack of ambition or her poor life choices, society's burden. Hell Juan, I was an electrician when I started out of high school, and couldn't continue to pursue the trade due to the fact that you and your brother and a million other illegals came here and drove the wages so low that I had to find something that would support me. I sure didn't start getting girls pregnant and dropping kids that I couldn't support. I had to adapt. I had to work my ass off to get somewhere in life. So again how is your girls crappy life choices our problem again? If you love her, support her. Man the F up and do it. You kind of act like she's just a piece of tail for you from some of your posts, though. If you need to make more money, educate yourself, and go for it. But, for the love of god, quit whining about your girl needing a handout. Start the paperwork to get her legal, get her a tax ID, and set her up in a childcare business. Get her to contribute before she puts her hand out. I don't owe you squat. I'd rather you try to rob me in a parking lot (not a good idea), than screw the whole US welfare system. Anyway, you just keep up the good fight, and maybe someday you'll get the amnesty you feel you're entitled to. Probably not as long as my generation can vote, but maybe someday.
Juan

Pearland, TX

#42 Jun 28, 2011
She deserves the help just as any other citizen would get.

They are not my kids. My brother and I do live with her because we don't make enough to pay rent and still send money to our parents.

Welfare is there to help us, that's what it's for.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weather Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Flood damage minimal (Feb '09) 9 hr almost 100 yr storm 17
News The Way We Were: Ice jam in the Glen (Feb '15) 9 hr Aqua north of Us 16
News Michelle Grossman - About NBC 10 News Story - W... (Mar '08) 10 hr Pretty girls laug... 894
News Farmers 'weeks behind' after rain swamps Easter... 16 hr AmPieJam UncleSam 2
News Scattered thunderstorms hit Toronto, GTA Mon Wellington bad 2 1
News Floodwaters force evacuation at RudyFest Mon Citizen 12
News N.B Power targets Saturday for full restoration... (Dec '13) Mon thenox 2
More from around the web