Four horses removed from a Cumberland...

Four horses removed from a Cumberland County farm

There are 118 comments on the WBIR Knoxville story from Feb 7, 2007, titled Four horses removed from a Cumberland County farm. In it, WBIR Knoxville reports that:

Sheriff's deputies and a horse rescue group banded together Wednesday evening, to rescue four horse from a Cumberland County farm.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WBIR Knoxville.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
concerned family member

Crossville, TN

#1 Feb 7, 2007
this man has taken care of horses all his life. there should have been more investigation into this matter. what gives a person rights to come and take something off your property without permisson. animals get sick just like humans do,some live some die ,its natures way. jimmy whittenburg has rehabilitated lots of horses. i was there when the horses was taken ,there was no warnings to this man,his rights as a free true blooded american were violated.wbir should have got a interview before they aired this story .this man was working, he seems to be guilty according to your story. this is unfair.
neighbor of horses

Crossville, TN

#2 Feb 7, 2007
these horses have nearly three hundred acres to roam. they are fed twice a day,given hay walk to a large pond to drink.they are the same as free.whe can not help the weather,all things look bad in the winter,why didnt this animal control group try to help jimmy whittenburg instead there condemimg his place and integrity.
Jan

Bensalem, PA

#3 Feb 7, 2007
What is the true story? If indeed these horses were mistreated they should be taken away! Why only two comments? It shouldn't be hard to tell if they were mistreated! Animals deserve to be treated good. Someone check out this story. 100 left? What's this about? Let us know.
HORSES NEED YOUR HELP

Savannah, TN

#4 Feb 7, 2007
IF THEY ARE NOT GOING TO TAKE CARE OF THEM, WHY DOES THE LAW NOT STEP IN AND TAKE "ALL OF THEM AWAY AND GIVE THEM TO GOOD HOMES THAT WOULD TREAT THEN RIGHT?" A LOT OF FAMILIES WOULD BE GLAD TO HAVE THEM, FEED THEM AND PUT THEM IN STALLS WHERE THEY WOULD BE OUT OF THIS HORRIBLE ORDEAL!
NEED MORE INFO

Savannah, TN

#5 Feb 7, 2007
NEED MORE ABOUT THIS STORY PLEASE
Crossville Native

Granville, TN

#6 Feb 8, 2007
Concerned family member and neighbor.......you need to get the facts straight.....Jimmy was investigated for a long time now. If you think those horses were taken care of you need to take another look !!!!!! There have been numberous complaints about this man for over a year now. Makes me sick to think that you think those horses were fine and that Jimmy was treated unfairly. He was given a citation and from what I hear he ripped it up at the sherrif and threw it at him. I could say more but iam biting my tongue right now. I don't want to say too much. But everyone of those horses need to be taken away !!!!!!! And never be aloud to own another !!!!
just me again

Smyrna, TN

#7 Feb 8, 2007
Why remove just 4 if there are hundreds? The owners won't do any better just because 4 are gone. Take all the horses and don't allow the owners to have any other animals. A person should get just one chance then not have the opportunity for a second. Harsh? I don't think so.
bss

Swannanoa, NC

#8 Feb 8, 2007
Why wouldn't all the horses be removed? They should have been removed before now if its been a year. Animals
can't speak for themselves and those in a position to stop this need too.
Lynne

Maryville, TN

#9 Feb 8, 2007
Chances are that the other horses didn't meet the required standards to be removed. I think they have to look at each horse individually and rate their health and conditions. Thats just a guess on my behalf but I do know that is done in some instances. I do have a question. Why does this person have all of these horses? Was this someone who initially was trying to help but fell ill or grew old or something? If he has mistreated these animals, he should be punished for it period.
horse lover harriman

AOL

#10 Feb 8, 2007
ive been driving by the farm for years and have never seen no grass being planted.Horses always standing in the mud with litte to eat.The neighbor needs to have his brain and eyes checked.i,m glad someone got concerned about those animals.He could do better.I have 5 myself. thanks
bob

Crossville, TN

#11 Feb 8, 2007
Has anyone thought about this. The averge horse can cost $5,000.00 a year for food, shelter, meds, and just care. Now times that by 100 and this seems a little costly for one man or even a family to pay for. We are talking about like a $500,000.00 a year for good care of a 100 horses. Also, horses need warmth at night. Where does this man put 100 horses at night?
Unless you just set them free in a few hundred acres and hope for the best. If that's the case I feel bad for those horses.
Just a question

Paris, TN

#12 Feb 8, 2007
PETA was the group that put out the first action alert and they insisted that complaints had been made heavily for a 10 day period. While the rest of the modern world knew of this situation the Cumberland County Sheriffs department claimed they were unaware of the situation and no complaints had been filed. Sad, sad, sad. I know of 3 people at least whocalled to complain and all were told the situation was never reported.
Jim

Clinton, TN

#13 Feb 8, 2007
These animals need to be removed from this idiot's land and he should be forbidden to own even one cat in the future.
MELISSA BROWN

Mocksville, NC

#14 Feb 8, 2007
THE BAD THING ABOUT THIS IT TOOK THEM OVER A YEAR TO DO ANYTHING ABOUT THIS ABUSE...
WONDER HOW MANY HORSES HAVE DIED IN THIS YEAR.....
anb

Luttrell, TN

#15 Feb 8, 2007
All these horses should be taken from this mans care. Why only four? The man needs charges. People that abuse any type of animal should be treated the way that they treated those animals. An eye for an eye.
anb

Luttrell, TN

#16 Feb 8, 2007
Why only take 4 of the abused horses take them all. This guy needs to be treated like he treated this horses. An eye for an eye.
Crossville Native

Granville, TN

#17 Feb 8, 2007
MELISSA BROWN wrote:
THE BAD THING ABOUT THIS IT TOOK THEM OVER A YEAR TO DO ANYTHING ABOUT THIS ABUSE...
WONDER HOW MANY HORSES HAVE DIED IN THIS YEAR.....
from what i know there were over a hundred mares lost last year and in the past few weeks several have died because of the cold they have had to endure. this whole thing makes me sick to think that there are people out there that are protecting this idiot. its a buddy system in cumberland county and i know people have benn trying to get something done for a long time. from whati know as of right now........nothing is going to be done about the other horses........MAKES ME SICK !!!!!!!!!
Crossville Native

Granville, TN

#18 Feb 8, 2007
Lynne wrote:
Chances are that the other horses didn't meet the required standards to be removed. I think they have to look at each horse individually and rate their health and conditions. Thats just a guess on my behalf but I do know that is done in some instances. I do have a question. Why does this person have all of these horses? Was this someone who initially was trying to help but fell ill or grew old or something? If he has mistreated these animals, he should be punished for it period.
HE HAS ALL THOSE HORSES BECAUSE HE KEEPS RE-BREEDING HIS HORSES. NO HE IS NOT ILL OR OLD. JUST IRRESPONSIBLE. HE DON'T DESERVE THESE HORSES. THEY NEED TO BE TAKEN AWAY AND HE SHOULD NEVER BE ALOUD TO OWN ANOTHER HORSE.
Dont understand

Knoxville, TN

#19 Feb 8, 2007
It says in the news article that it is unclear if anyone will be checking on the almost 100 horses left on the farm, I am not from this area, but I am sure someone could do something to help these animals, and deal with this man, abuse is abuse, he should face very strong stiff charges.
KDC

Ocala, FL

#20 Feb 8, 2007
I live in cumberland county and we do not have a buddy system we are all disgusted about this and have wanted something done about it but everone here thinks that jimmy wittenberg is a great guy he may be but he does not know how to take care of horses and they need to get the others because it does not matter that it is winter time they look like that in the summer too

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weather Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News SJC grants new trial to homeless man in trespas... 6 hr DCF CPS DSS are ... 1
News Global warming made Paris floods far more likel... 7 hr Into The Night 87
News Multiple fatalities reported in West Virginia f... 13 hr Jvd!th 1
News Severe Weather Update Grand Rapids, Mi (WHTC) -... 17 hr District 1 1
News Our Coming Mega-Drought (Oct '10) 19 hr Earthling-1 85
News Record snowfall, changing climate raise questio... 19 hr ha ha ha 2
News Cooling centres in Halton Hills open to residents Thu choices 4
More from around the web