Young boy found dead in SUV

Oct 10, 2008 Full story: The Sentinel-Echo 299

Child apparently left unattended since 8 a.m. By Tara Kaprowy staff writer A 2 1/2-year-old boy is dead after being left in a locked SUV nearly nine hours by his grandmother, Linda Long.

Full Story
First Prev
of 15
Next Last
DISGUSTED

Louisville, KY

#1 Oct 11, 2008
hOW IN THE WORLD DO YOU FORGET A CHILD IN THE CAR. THAT IS DOWN RIGHT DISGUSTING. THAT PERSON NEEDS STRAPPED IN A SEAT AND LEFT IN A HOT Car.
say this was an accident

United States

#2 Oct 11, 2008
One of the body's most important methods of temperature regulation is perspiration. This process draws heat from inside, allowing it to be carried off by radiation or convection. Evaporation of the sweat furthers cooling, since this endothermic process draws yet more heat from the body. When the body becomes sufficiently dehydrated to prevent the production of sweat this avenue of heat reduction is closed. When the body is no longer capable of sweating core temperature begins to rise swiftly.
Victims may become confused, may become hostile, often experience headache, and may seem intoxicated. Blood pressure may drop significantly from dehydration, leading to possible fainting or dizziness, especially if the victim stands suddenly. Heart rate and respiration rate will increase (tachycardia and tachypnea) as blood pressure drops and the heart attempts to supply enough oxygen to the body. The skin will become red as blood vessels dilate in an attempt to increase heat dissipation. The decrease in blood pressure will cause blood vessels to contract as heat stroke progresses, resulting in a pale or bluish skin color. Complaints of feeling hot may be followed by chills and trembling, as is the case in fever. Some victims, especially young children, may suffer convulsions. Uncontrolled vomiting/dry heaves and/or diarrhea like bowel spasms. Acute dehydration such as that accompanying heat stroke can produce nausea and vomiting; temporary blindness may also be observed. Eventually, as body organs begin to fail, unconsciousness and coma will result.
The two most common forms of hyperthermia are heat exhaustion and heat stroke. Of the two, heat stroke is especially dangerous and requires immediate medical attention.
Heat stress occurs when a strain is placed on the body as a result of hot weather.
Heat fatigue is a feeling of weakness brought on by high outdoor temperature. Symptoms include cool, moist skin and a weakened pulse. The person many feel faint.
Heat syncope is a sudden dizziness experienced after exercising in the heat. The skin appears pale and sweaty but is generally moist and cool. The pulse is weakened and the heart rate is usually rapid. Body temperature is normal.
Heat cramps are painful muscle spasms in the abdomen, arms or legs following strenuous activity. Heat cramps are caused by a lack of salt in the body.
Heat exhaustion is a warning that the body is getting too hot. The person may be thirsty, giddy, weak, uncoordinated, nauseated and sweating profusely. The body temperature is normal and the pulse is normal or raised. The skin is cold and clammy.
Heat stroke can be life-threatening and victims can die. A person with heat stroke usually has a body temperature above 104 degrees Fahrenheit. Other symptoms include confusion, combativeness, bizarre behavior, faintness, staggering, strong and rapid pulse, and possible delirium or coma. High body temperature is capable of producing irreversible brain damage.
i know

Somerset, KY

#3 Oct 11, 2008
i know about this woman and i personally know her and human body is nothing but habit. she had never had to attend to her grandchild that morning. she had never taken him to daycare which is what she was suppose to be doing. and by habit she went to work. yes, she should have been more mindful of her surroundings, but she has enough guilt and blame that she is putting on her own shoulders, and she doesn't need anymore beating and battering from other people. she has enough she has to deal with. imagine if it was you..
L marie

United States

#4 Oct 11, 2008
My prayers go out to the grandmother and the mother and father of the little boy. Im Sure this was an accident, and im sure the grandmother will have this burden on her soul for the rest of her life,is that enough for the grandmother? I think punishing her for this, if in deed it was an accident would not prove anything and is a waste of the states funds to house an inmate who doesnt need to be there in the first place. I hope that one day people could feel compassion for her, insted of hate and resentment.
pak31

Bolingbrook, IL

#5 Oct 11, 2008
I will never understand these cases, ever. How many more times do we need to read about kids dying in cars until people wake up?? Maybe if she never ever in her life did this before, the parents should have called Linda and asked her how things went. But I guess 20/20 is hindsight. What a horrible way to die though, pure and utter torture, especially that he was strapped down.
Linda is amazing

London, KY

#6 Oct 11, 2008
L marie wrote:
My prayers go out to the grandmother and the mother and father of the little boy. Im Sure this was an accident, and im sure the grandmother will have this burden on her soul for the rest of her life,is that enough for the grandmother? I think punishing her for this, if in deed it was an accident would not prove anything and is a waste of the states funds to house an inmate who doesnt need to be there in the first place. I hope that one day people could feel compassion for her, insted of hate and resentment.
Thank at least there are some that understand!! Much love to you.
gin

Science Hill, KY

#7 Oct 11, 2008
I agree doing something out of the ordinary can really through you off course,but the child, her grandchild! A grandchild is giving you a second chance in life to enjoy and chearish, something you just don't forget about like you do a bag of potatoes.I'm sorry but there is just NO excuse for this action.I've had to raise a son and help with both of my grandsons and hold down a stressful job...I never forgot about them!
mmm

Corbin, KY

#8 Oct 11, 2008
i know wrote:
i know about this woman and i personally know her and human body is nothing but habit. she had never had to attend to her grandchild that morning. she had never taken him to daycare which is what she was suppose to be doing. and by habit she went to work. yes, she should have been more mindful of her surroundings, but she has enough guilt and blame that she is putting on her own shoulders, and she doesn't need anymore beating and battering from other people. she has enough she has to deal with. imagine if it was you..
well i find it hard to believe that she drop the grandaughter off at school but forgot the grandson i hope the give this bitch the needle and she supposed didnt forget to take that cake in or her purse or keys

Since: Aug 08

Louisville, KY

#9 Oct 11, 2008
MURDER!!! lolololol
Judy

Brownsville, TN

#10 Oct 11, 2008
mmm wrote:
<quoted text>well i find it hard to believe that she drop the grandaughter off at school but forgot the grandson i hope the give this bitch the needle and she supposed didnt forget to take that cake in or her purse or keys
May God Be With You!!
Everyone is not perfect you know. I go to church with this lady and she is a Sunday School Teacher. She is a very loving lady. She would do anything for anybody. She just forgot. I know how bad it sounds but things happens and this just happens to be a real bad one. But who are we to judge?!! Were not!! God is and he will take care of everything. So God bless you!!! Linda is in my Prayers and so is the Family!
vlr2848

Ripley, TN

#11 Oct 11, 2008
I'm sorry if this grandmother had the job for the first time to drop him off at DayCare and forgot., There is something defintily wrong!!!
Bob

Lake Ozark, MO

#12 Oct 11, 2008
Please get a car seat monitor! Any of you reading this get a Car Seat monitor 3 children died in cars on this day 2 in Texas 41 this year. Go to WWW.carseatmonitor.com
granny needs 2go

Pelion, SC

#13 Oct 12, 2008
This isn't a matter of granny was a nice lady. She is charged with reckless homicide. For the Bible thumpers in here, the Bible says we are to abide by the laws of our nation. If this granny is thinking right she would want and accept being punished. You can't go out here and commit reckless homicide on anyone, not even your own family and just walk away and forget it! This being said, there are different degrees of crime, such as intent, your previous history and so forth. It's possible granny will walk with only probation and community service or house arrest. Thank goodness I don't know anyone ever in this predicament. I feel the greatest punishment is going to come from her own family, herself, and the in-laws. It's hard to believe anyone could forget the baby strapped into their own car!!!! I like the suggestion about the car seat monitor this should be required by law.
corbin grandmother

United States

#14 Oct 12, 2008
I dont understand how she could forget that baby but my heart goes out to her. I couldnt even imagine the guilt and pain her and her family are going thru....so sad, as a grandmother I could never imagine this happening, it makes you want to hold your babies in your arms and not let go...God Bless this family
New Yorker

East Elmhurst, NY

#15 Oct 12, 2008
This no accident. A person, unless they have something physically wrong with them (and if that is the case, shame on the parent for allowing the grandmother to tend to him), is not going to FORGET, or ACCIDENTLY FORGET for that period of time. It is illogical. That is just too great a length of time for nothing to "jog" her memory. I'm sure she remembered at some given time, and she chose not to return for that child. She belongs somewhere other than the heavens, and I hope she makes it there.
Just My Thoughts

Cynthiana, KY

#16 Oct 12, 2008
I am opposed to adding more laws. I think adults should be responsible for their actions, even though I know some of them aren't. Perhaps this little boy would still be alive if they had been allowed to put the car seat in the front like parents used to do. Perhaps he would still be alive if he had been sitting in the seat by his grandmother, which is where her own child would have been years ago. Seatbelt and child restraint laws are good for some and not so good for others. I don't understand her forgetfullness, and I don't understand how her life can ever be normal again. I feel sorry for her and all of her family, including little Madison.
Do Not judge

London, KY

#17 Oct 12, 2008
I'm praying for the family. I hope you all do the same.
Praying

United States

#18 Oct 12, 2008
Do Not judge wrote:
I'm praying for the family. I hope you all do the same.
Praying they don't forget the other child somewhere.

Since: May 07

Indianapolis, IN

#19 Oct 12, 2008
I get so sick of seeing yet another toddler dying in a hot car. There should be a device made that senses a child's weight in the car seat, and starts blaring the car's horn if the ignition is turned off and the child is not removed within two minutes. It can be done.
Retired

London, KY

#20 Oct 12, 2008
There are several devices to alert people when a child has been left in a car, I think the prices start around 20.00 but either people think "this will never happen to me" or they just don't want to spend the money to help keep their little ones safe.
Matt from Akron wrote:
I get so sick of seeing yet another toddler dying in a hot car. There should be a device made that senses a child's weight in the car seat, and starts blaring the car's horn if the ignition is turned off and the child is not removed within two minutes. It can be done.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 15
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weather Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Michelle Grossman - About NBC 10 News Story - W... (Mar '08) 2 hr Bethea 534
Heavy Snowfall To Finish The Weekend 5 hr Duke for Mayor 12
Putin threatens to cut gas to Ukraine as showdo... 5 hr Zeppelin 1
Putin may cut off gas to Ukraine 5 hr Zeppelin 1
Gov. Hickenlooper in DC for Israel policy confe... 6 hr kardnal 1
Winter's reach: Southwest gets snow, California... 8 hr paddyoalley 1
Search for missing Texas kayaker on hold 8 hr paddyoalley 1
More from around the web