list of weather-related school closings

Jan 20, 2009 Read more: Hampton Roads Daily Press 74
Because of cold weather and the threat of snow, some local schools are closed today or operating on delayed schedules. Read more
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Bill from Yorktown

Yorktown, VA

#1 Jan 20, 2009
Hampton U closed for cold weather and threat of snow?
Or for inauguration? Or perhaps the cold weather break will give the students a chance to go to the library to study global WARMING?
R U Serious

Hampton, VA

#2 Jan 20, 2009
There's no snow. Not a flake
thomas perry

Williamsburg, VA

#3 Jan 20, 2009
are james city county schools closing ?
Nancy Drew

Virginia Beach, VA

#4 Jan 20, 2009
Yeah, SNOW !
JLG

Virginia Beach, VA

#5 Jan 20, 2009
R U Serious wrote:
There's no snow. Not a flake
In Hampton there IS!:) And if there wasn't, at least they are prepared wisely! I dont want to drive in the white stuff in Hampton,people here cant drive without snow let alone with snow.:)
Be safe all! And warm.
JLG

Virginia Beach, VA

#6 Jan 20, 2009
thomas perry wrote:
are james city county schools closing ?
If you are on their phone system, you would of gotten a call or an email by now if they are closed. Watch the bottom of WVEC/13. They scroll across there.

“Hey! What are you lookin' at??”

Since: Dec 07

Newport News

#7 Jan 20, 2009
Not one flake on the ground in NN and the schools are closed.

“I pity the fool !!”

Since: Jan 08

Hampton, VA

#8 Jan 20, 2009
Bill from Yorktown, has it partially right. A lot of the districts were struggling to fill sub positions (teachers, bus drivers & staff) do to the inauguration.

Its also a lot easier to close before school starts, then to try and close in the middle of day and get parents to come get their kids or be home for their return mid-day.

The prudent course, imo, would be to call a two hour delay and reassess at 8 on closing all day or not.
Poquoson

Poquoson, VA

#9 Jan 20, 2009
Are Poquoson Schools closed? What about the Naval bases?
Mark

Poquoson, VA

#10 Jan 20, 2009
Would help if the school closings were updated (6:56a.m.) Channel 10 webpage updated with the latest.
Mark

Poquoson, VA

#11 Jan 20, 2009
A lot of schools in the Midwest announce closing by 10p.m. the night before. This way you don't have kids standing out in the freezing cold. I know 12-19 degrees is cold here, but elsewhere it would have to be below zero or negatives to get people buzzing about temps.
jack

Virginia Beach, VA

#12 Jan 20, 2009
WHY is TCC still open??!!!
TidewaterLiberta rian

Lawrenceville, VA

#13 Jan 20, 2009
jack wrote:
WHY is TCC still open??!!!
What with "the threat of snow" and all, the administrators at TCC can only be seen as playing fast and loose with student safety.

Where is the spirit that built this country?
Cant be pretty

Little Rock, AR

#14 Jan 20, 2009
This is c r a p. The real reason for the school closings is so that the teachers can play hookie and go to Washington for the inaguration. The liberal NEA teachers would rather be with their savior and do their jobs teaching school.

“Boldly going nowhere...”

Since: Oct 07

Newport News, VA

#15 Jan 20, 2009
I really didn't want to have to come to work today ;(

Since: Jan 09

Virginia Beach, VA

#16 Jan 20, 2009
Bill from Yorktown wrote:
Hampton U closed for cold weather and threat of snow?
Or for inauguration? Or perhaps the cold weather break will give the students a chance to go to the library to study global WARMING?
LOL, it always comes back to that huh, perhaps the Hampton U students built a weather machine and set it to cause snow today
Ok, people lets try to understand something, this is VA, they are talking about a major snow event, which for the 757 could be a half an inch, what happens when the sun stops shining here, people dont know how to drive... that being said these schools have to use common sense if it happens like they say it will it could be pretty messy out there by 12 and not getting any better after that
Lori Carlson

United States

#17 Jan 20, 2009
I would think the staff of closed schools are dissappointed that they won't be able to carry out their planned inauguration indoctrination activities for today. Many plan to "allow" the kids to watch history being made. I doubt they felt it was worth watching when Bush was sworn in. The kids can watch from home with mom and dad just as well as at school, at least will have some supervision (hopefully) at home. I doubt much actual school work was planned for today, anyway. My kid went to school, Surry is open! I grew up in Ohio, so I am used to standing in a snow drift waiting for the bus to pull up with chains on the tires.
Ms Riddick

Norfolk, VA

#18 Jan 20, 2009
I just want to know where at exactly on your web site can a private school post a school closing?
TidewaterLiberta rian

Lawrenceville, VA

#19 Jan 20, 2009
Ms Riddick wrote:
I just want to know where at exactly on your web site can a private school post a school closing?
aahh Here's an idea:

Independent schools post closings on their own websites.
Wow

United States

#20 Jan 20, 2009
Mister Grumpy wrote:
Not one flake on the ground in NN and the schools are closed.
I think the schools did the right thing because the threat of snow later on and at some point if the children went to school at some point they would have to come home it could put our children at risk. Let me tell you these VA drivers don't know how to drive in the snow. I wouldn't want my child on the bus with the crazy's out there in the snow later. It is bad enough where there isn't snow. GOOD JOB Newport News. Anyway I think since today is such a special day in History everyone should be home watching the events that are about to happen.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weather Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Evansville man dealing with large amount bees f... 23 min insects 1
News A look at California's drought 8 hr Here Is One 3
News Michelle Grossman - About NBC 10 News Story - W... (Mar '08) Fri The Bobster 619
News Nestle Waters Chaffee County Project: Commissio... Apr 16 many do not get it 1
News What's ahead this weekend Apr 16 watchout 1
News Putin threatens nuclear war: Russian leader wil... Apr 16 FUdirtypols 8
News Colorado Water Plan all about West Slope water ... Apr 16 Your Ex 1
More from around the web