Exploring the roots of volcanic erupt...

Exploring the roots of volcanic eruptions: insights from deep magmatic processes

There are 2 comments on the University of Bristol news story from Feb 22, 2013, titled Exploring the roots of volcanic eruptions: insights from deep magmatic processes. In it, University of Bristol news reports that:

An exploration of deep magmatic processes occurring in the Earth's crust beneath volcanoes, which could contribute to linking these physical processes at depth with volcanic eruptions at the surface, has been carried out by researchers from the University of Bristol and the Swiss Federal Institute in Zurich.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at University of Bristol news.

“Geologist [I'm Climate Change]”

Since: Mar 07

formerly Nuneaton

#1 Feb 25, 2013
A case of about time too.

The fact that stratovolcanoes are fed by magma incorporated from base crustal magma discs into deep crustal fractures during Rebound/long duration mercalli X quakes (r/lx) such as S.Andaman 2004, Central Chile 2010, and Tohoku 2011 has been well known.

I found it as a result of a look @ activity from the volcanoes of the 1964 Alaska r/lx described by Pflaker in the 2000-2002 interval.

The important bit here is that magma shunted from high to low pressure regimes in the deep crust will stay mobile for millennia. This is the cause of the magma from odd volcanoes with bizarre compositions and (cal-tech especially ul-tramafic nodules; & vasiations therein).
In the Mexican basin & range and in particular its northern reaches where it joins the classical basin & range the magma may have been shunted sideways from its original source by over 1000Km.

Another vase of similar long term transport through deep crustal fractures occurs in other backarc basin volcanoes such as Tavenui (Fiji), and last but not least Sakurajima (Ryukyu backarc basin). In there last 2 backarc basins the date of the last r/lx that initially incorporated the magma into the deep crustal fracture set has a BC date and for tavenui (Hunter ridge it may be latest Pleistocene).

Also do not forget the very productive Etna volcano with a NE fracture set (Calabrian backarc basin), a W. fracture set Tunis arc, a SW. fracture set Tunis & sicily arc (the one currently giving flash eruptions & Etna right now), and a SSW. fracture set (the Noto arc). All of Etna's base crustal magma filled fractures were replenished during the r/lx of the Atlas range & plate lurch of W. Europe approximately 3500BC or thereabouts with a legendary bloody great big tsunami & a tilt collapse of the flank of Stromboli which was filled to the brim with a narrow pipe lava lake @ the time.

Have a nice day: Ag

“Geologist [I'm Climate Change]”

Since: Mar 07

formerly Nuneaton

#2 Feb 25, 2013
Current jobseeker based local social network computer series appears to be root cause of the random typos.
This is very bad news for bottom of the heap finances jobseekers using the network (lots of wasted time & effort) but for me it is merely irritating.

I am not a jobseeker but background prog does not appear to discriminate.

Try and look @ above message past the software interruptions; results will be informative.

Almost forgot...
Barren island (Andaman backarc basin) appears to be squeezing in the 1st magma filled fracture of the 2004 r/lx, or alternatively a pre 2004 magma filled fracture that got caught in the arc graben prior to the 2004 r/lx.

Have a nice day: Ag

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Volcanic Eruption Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Jago and Lucy Pickering took their children to ... Mon Peterpanohno 1
News Volcanic eruption coats Japanese city with ash ... (Aug '13) Oct '15 fukuda 3
Question from no-clue-guy. Jul '15 Urban 1
News Earthquakes to blame for Mount Sinabung eruptions? Jun '15 North Sumatra Ind... 1
News Lidar systems installed across UK to detect vol... Jun '15 Ray 1
News World Heritage proposal for ancient Indigenous ... Jun '15 not all equal 1
News Incredible footage shows volcano's violent erup... Jun '15 Mexico danger 1
More from around the web